Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17562 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#11603 Oct 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^We disagree on a theological issue; I claim turning down an invitation to support and serve a same sex wedding is a fundamental religious freedom.
Well, you would be wrong, Brian.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#11604 Oct 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Racial differences are trivial and tiny but gender differences are the difference between the survival and extinction of the human species. Gender differences permeate culture, language, science and law.
Same sex marriage would have no impact whatsoever on survival and extinction of the human species. Do you really believe it has impact?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#11605 Oct 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
We disagree on a theological issue; I claim turning down an invitation to support and serve a same sex wedding is a fundamental religious freedom. Forcing Christians to attend these rituals is intolerance, not freedom.
Their business duties aren't waived simply because they have a religion. I don't understand how you can be calling their commercial involvement an "invitation" or "attendance". I don't "invite" the kid at my local Subway to make my sandwich. They make sandwiches openly, for everyone, so they'd better make it for me! The plumber who comes to fix my shower head isn't "attending" an event in my bathroom. He advertises his services to everyone, and he'd better damn well provide them!

There are LAWS in place which state that, no matter how religious a business owner may be, they are still beholden to business laws, which state that the SAME services which they provide EVERYONE, must be provided even to those who are "undesirable" according to their religion.

The presence of a religion is not an excuse to abandon civil responsibilities. Operating a business is not part of anyone's religious practices, so they don't get to use their business as an example of free worship. If the doors are OPEN, then they're open to ALL.

And it's no defense to say that they allow gay customers IN the doors while only restricting SOME services to them. Business owners don't get to open the doors on the STREET to gay customers in a display of tolerance, while locking up some services behind more doors WITHIN the business.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#11606 Oct 18, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Their business duties aren't waived simply because they have a religion. I don't understand how you can be calling their commercial involvement an "invitation" or "attendance". I don't "invite" the kid at my local Subway to make my sandwich. They make sandwiches openly, for everyone, so they'd better make it for me! The plumber who comes to fix my shower head isn't "attending" an event in my bathroom. He advertises his services to everyone, and he'd better damn well provide them!
There are LAWS in place which state that, no matter how religious a business owner may be, they are still beholden to business laws, which state that the SAME services which they provide EVERYONE, must be provided even to those who are "undesirable" according to their religion.
The presence of a religion is not an excuse to abandon civil responsibilities. Operating a business is not part of anyone's religious practices, so they don't get to use their business as an example of free worship. If the doors are OPEN, then they're open to ALL.
And it's no defense to say that they allow gay customers IN the doors while only restricting SOME services to them. Business owners don't get to open the doors on the STREET to gay customers in a display of tolerance, while locking up some services behind more doors WITHIN the business.
Brian_G, like many fundamentalists, believes that his religion entitles him and those that share it with privileges above the law. Sadly for them, they are learning they are mistaken in that belief.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#11607 Oct 18, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
Brian_G, like many fundamentalists, believes that his religion entitles him and those that share it with privileges above the law. Sadly for them, they are learning they are mistaken in that belief.
I'm not so sure they're learning this.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#11608 Oct 18, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
yet, bi, in other threads, has denied that he's Christian or a follower of any sort of religion.

Since: Jan 10

Westerville, OH

#11609 Oct 18, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, its subject to the claimant's personal views, beliefs, bias, etc.
Exactly, your posts are personal views, beliefs, bias, etc. Totally devoid of reason, logic or intelligence. You haters are all a bunch of hysterical drama queens. All flash with nothing under the tiara but dead space.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#11610 Oct 18, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
And we need to be vigilant of the kooks whose "personal views, beliefs, bias, etc" are based on supernatural nonsense, or voices in their heads telling them which citizens are abominations.
Gotcha..... We also need to be vigiliant of the kooks whose personal views, beliefs, bias, etc. are based on just plain athiestic or secular nonsense, or "some are more equal than others Orwellian new thought", which tells them which "abominations" are acceptable, and which aren't.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#11611 Oct 18, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, your posts are personal views, beliefs, bias, etc.
As are yours Marramie.
Totally devoid of reason, logic or intelligence. You haters are all a bunch of hysterical drama queens. All flash with nothing under the tiara but dead space.
Uhhhhh......huh.....and you're just sitiing up on the mountain top dispensing pearls of wisdom to the "ignorant" masses. It must be such a burden.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#11612 Oct 19, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
Gays marrying doesn't effect heterosexuals from continuing to procreate you stupid moron. The only threat to the human species is our current course of OVER population you idiot.
I sure affected the baker, photographer and florist; they've been fined and no longer have the cash they planned to use on their families.

Same sex marriage harms Christians; see where they've sued them for proof.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#11613 Oct 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I sure affected the baker, photographer and florist; they've been fined and no longer have the cash they planned to use on their families.
Same sex marriage harms Christians; see where they've sued them for proof.
Poor baker, photographer and florist. They shouldn't have gone into business if they knew they were homophobes and bigots. They should have read the fine print of their states constitutional law. Discrimination is wrong and it won't be tolerated even for a baker.

So sorry. Would you like fries with that?

“TO HATE SOMEONE SIMPLY FOR WHO”

Since: Aug 08

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#11614 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor baker, photographer and florist. They shouldn't have gone into business if they knew they were homophobes and bigots. They should have read the fine print of their states constitutional law. Discrimination is wrong and it won't be tolerated even for a baker.
So sorry. Would you like fries with that?
Good one River.......but Brian's incapable of that sort of simple understanding!!!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#11615 Oct 19, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one River.......but Brian's incapable of that sort of simple understanding!!!
It's all good, dear. We're winning...again.

The New Jersey Supreme Court on Friday denied the state's request to temporarily prevent same-sex marriages, clearing the way for same-sex couples to marry in the state starting Monday.
Gov. Chris Christie's administration appealed -- and asked the court to delay -- a lower court's September 27 order that the state must allow same-sex couples to marry beginning October 21, rather than give them the label "civil union."
The appeal will be heard in January. But the state Supreme Court on Friday declined to delay the September order in the meantime, writing that "the state has not shown a reasonable probability that it will succeed on the merits" of the appeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/us/new-jersey-s...

My state allows same sex marriage. I'm not ready to get married yet. I'm only 20 but when I am ready, I want to be able to do it in any state that I choose to live in and I will be able to do that soon.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11616 Oct 19, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays marrying doesn't effect heterosexuals from continuing to procreate you stupid moron. The only threat to the human species is our current course of OVER population you idiot.
No threat from super volcanoes, war, meteorites, famine, disease?
You must be a stupid moron idiot.

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#11617 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all good, dear. We're winning...again.
The New Jersey Supreme Court on Friday denied the state's request to temporarily prevent same-sex marriages, clearing the way for same-sex couples to marry in the state starting Monday.
Gov. Chris Christie's administration appealed -- and asked the court to delay -- a lower court's September 27 order that the state must allow same-sex couples to marry beginning October 21, rather than give them the label "civil union."
The appeal will be heard in January. But the state Supreme Court on Friday declined to delay the September order in the meantime, writing that "the state has not shown a reasonable probability that it will succeed on the merits" of the appeal.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/us/new-jersey-s...
My state allows same sex marriage. I'm not ready to get married yet. I'm only 20 but when I am ready, I want to be able to do it in any state that I choose to live in and I will be able to do that soon.
Thanks for the information and you will know when it is the right time to marry......until then, enjoy your life and the woman you spend it with:-)

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#11618 Oct 19, 2013
I guess the ruling from the article River posted means that New Jersey is the official 14th State to grant the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples......awesome!!!

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#11619 Oct 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I sure affected the baker, photographer and florist; they've been fined and no longer have the cash they planned to use on their families.
What ever did you do? I knew you were an unethical fool, but up until this point, I assumed you were quite harmless.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#11620 Oct 19, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
bi, these business owners were not invited guests. they were not particpants (as in part of the wedding party - bride, groom, best man, etc). they were vendors to an event. they were mere suppliers of a service. an exchange of cash for services rendered.
Brian seems to have no understanding that a business is a place of public accommodation, and that they cannot deny service based solely upon the fact that a potential client holds different spiritual beliefs. Then again, they are so dumb that they cannot articulate how providing a service for a same sex marriage in any way impacts freedom of religion. Thus far, it appears that the businesses are having similar difficulty articulating such an impact, because they keep losing in court.
Paul Roy

Trabzon, Turkey

#11621 Oct 19, 2013
Buy a wife from Vietnam. E-mail: master_hoang[at]rocketmail.com

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#11623 Oct 19, 2013
I believe in religious freedom, those Christian vendors have the right not to participate in religious rituals they view as profane.

Same sex marriage is bad because it's taboo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boy Scouts of America ends ban on gay adults 6 min Lawrence Wolf 68
News Homosexual 'Acts' shock students, bring awareness (Nov '08) 10 min Rose_NoHo 158
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 17 min Rose_NoHo 1,187
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 24 min 10 gold plate_ 32... 6,571
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 26 min Gaybriel 799
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 49 min elh 1,742
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 52 min Benny 68,583
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 55 min NorCal Native 8,112
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 2 hr WeTheSheeple 830
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr Wondering 24,092
More from around the web