Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
10,661 - 10,680 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
hello.......... they denied standing. They let the initial decision stand.
So the liars would be NOM et al....
And we don't Pietro to forget that in denying standing in the Prop 8 case, John Roberts himself declared that the plaintiffs were not 'harmed' by the lower court overturning Prop 8.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

-Bill Of Rights- wrote:
<quoted text>
And here is a link that backs up what you're inferring about Leviticus and what it really means! Hint,it has nothing to do with condemning homosexuality! Take a look,it makes perfect sense! ;)
What Leviticus really means!
livelonger.hubpages.com/hub/leviticus-homosex...
Exactly. What's more, none of Hebrew Scripture contained chapter and verse distinction.

"The person credited with dividing the Bible into chapters is Stephen Langton, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1207-1228. While Langton’s isn’t the only organizational scheme that was devised, it is his chapter breakdown that has survived."

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/11/wher...

What this indicates is that much must be read in its entirety to be understood properly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
And we don't Pietro to forget that in denying standing in the Prop 8 case, John Roberts himself declared that the plaintiffs were not 'harmed' by the lower court overturning Prop 8.
Indeed!
joddleman

Clairton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch... ……………… Windfall Welcome
it passed church dies

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
So easily? Why wasn't a unanimous decision then? In the Loving case it was.
Religious extremism has gotten much worse since then. I'm sure Scalia thought he was doing combat with the Devil himself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious extremism has gotten much worse since then. I'm sure Scalia thought he was doing combat with the Devil himself.
Scalia is out too lunch.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
How is this defined and measured?
No Comment

New Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think? We DON'T have ALL 50 States....duh!!!
I have been legally married now for over 5 years......others longer, some just getting married:-)
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/TP39MT577DHK0...

Oh, so
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really......go back to early centuries and you will see otherwise!!!
Hate to inform you but MARRIAGE already includes Gay and Lesbian couples:-)
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/TP39MT577DHK0...

...was just more of your inept, empty babbling,.....right?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
How is this defined and measured?
I'm sure that efforts to define or measure religious extremism are pointless. Find Scalia's recent interview where he outlines his fear of the Boogeyman. AN ACTUAL BOOGEYMAN. Define and measure THAT. Then explain to me how the legal decisions of such people represent rationality.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

No Comment wrote:
You do know that my comments posted in that thread already show up in this one as well, right? They are the same thread except that one is in the Gay/Lesbian forum and the other is the African-American forum and part of the game that topix has going at the moment......and you doing what you just did....shows what kind of idiot you truly are!!!

Go Buzz off now......thanks!!!

“"The 14th Amendment Works"”

Since: Jul 13

Livermore California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
You post under the name Bill Of Rights, but cite Leviticus. ou really mean to serve, because you can't serve both?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."
Sorry if you misread my statement but all I meant was to show how Leviticus is used by the religious right to infer that it in fact condemns homosexuality when it does nothing of the sort! It has been twisted and and mistranslated and is totally bogus to use it in that respect,and my link proves this! I am an atheist myself and am in full support of marriage equality! Hope I cleared that up?

“"The 14th Amendment Works"”

Since: Jul 13

Livermore California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut him some slack, he really doesn't know any better. Take him away from his coloring books and alphabet blocks and he thinks he's a grown up.
So says the shining hope for all of humanity? LOL,How about you STFU and move along now you creepy little junivile boy,mommy's calling you,time for dinner and school in the morning!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
No, Brian, it doesn't affect their free exercise. They are not allowed to project their religious views onto their customers, doing so violates the free exercise of the customer. Anyone who isn't an idiot can see that the business owners may still believe as they wish, worship where they wish, and behave as they wish. If they think they are being Christlike by denying service, they are sorely mistaken. Matthew 25:35-40
You see Brian, these people are not attempting to follow their religion, they are bigoted hypocrites, just like you.
^^^We disagree on a theological issue; I claim turning down an invitation to support and serve a same sex wedding is a fundamental religious freedom. Forcing Christians to attend these rituals is intolerance, not freedom.

Those business owners didn't "project their religious views onto their customers", they only declined an invitation to attend a same sex couples religious ritual. They served those customers before, the issue isn't discrimination against homosexuals; the issue is the religious freedom to attend or not attend religious services.

The left is anti-freedom and pro equality; they believe in celebrating differences, not merely tolerating differences. That's how the intolerance and fascism enters our law; PC anti-hate and anti-discrimination laws. Many gays on the right oppose court legislated marriage law.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^We disagree on a theological issue; I claim turning down an invitation to support and serve a same sex wedding is a fundamental religious freedom. Forcing Christians to attend these rituals is intolerance, not freedom.
Those business owners didn't "project their religious views onto their customers", they only declined an invitation to attend a same sex couples religious ritual. They served those customers before, the issue isn't discrimination against homosexuals; the issue is the religious freedom to attend or not attend religious services.
The left is anti-freedom and pro equality; they believe in celebrating differences, not merely tolerating differences. That's how the intolerance and fascism enters our law; PC anti-hate and anti-discrimination laws. Many gays on the right oppose court legislated marriage law.
Many gays oppose court legislated marriage law? They oppose interracial marriages?

Can you name the "many gays"?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Racial differences are trivial and tiny but gender differences are the difference between the survival and extinction of the human species. Gender differences permeate culture, language, science and law.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
^^^We disagree on a theological issue; I claim turning down an invitation to support and serve a same sex wedding is a fundamental religious freedom. Forcing Christians to attend these rituals is intolerance, not freedom.
This isn't a theological issue, dimwit. Providing a service for someone who holds a differing belief structure does not violate the religious freedom of a business owner.
Brian_G wrote:
Yes, Brian they did. You are defending people who broke the law.
Brian_G wrote:
Funny, you are the one arguing for some people to be treated as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the law.

Brian, face it, you are arguing a losing issue, the business owners' rights were not violated, their denial of service was against the law in each jurisdiction, and they will eventually lose all of their legal challenges.

You are defending people who broke the law, plain and simple.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure that efforts to define or measure religious extremism are pointless. Find Scalia's recent interview where he outlines his fear of the Boogeyman. AN ACTUAL BOOGEYMAN. Define and measure THAT. Then explain to me how the legal decisions of such people represent rationality.
Exactly, its subject to the claimant's personal views, beliefs, bias, etc.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Many gays oppose court legislated marriage law? They oppose interracial marriages?
Can you name the "many gays"?
No, he can't. He's a moron. He's been informed of some gays that have stated they don't care to marry and he's deceitfully twisted that into "opposition". Brian_G is just another liar for Jesus.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Racial differences are trivial and tiny but gender differences are the difference between the survival and extinction of the human species. Gender differences permeate culture, language, science and law.
Gays marrying doesn't effect heterosexuals from continuing to procreate you stupid moron. The only threat to the human species is our current course of OVER population you idiot.
Angel

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays marrying doesn't effect heterosexuals from continuing to procreate you stupid moron. The only threat to the human species is our current course of OVER population you idiot.

And that's the truth.thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••