Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17554 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#993 Jan 12, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The legal marriage of a gay couple is not treated equally to the legal marriage of a straight couple from the same jurisdiction. It should be clear to anyone, this is not equal treatment under the law.
How is it different?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#994 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
If your marriage exists to you then what are you talking about? If you want equal laws to protect your rights I don't care. I already stated what I think about that.
You can have various kinds of groups who love each other and consider themselves family- that doesn't mean their situation is MARRIAGE by US definiton.
I'm sorry you had trumoil growing up and hope you're happy. You think my feelings about keeping marriage as it is constitutes hate and I don't. We will never see the same on this issue. And you said people under 30 basically agree- well, I am way under 30. It was a *shrugs* issue to me until I really starting putting other things together and I changed my mind.
And yet, you provide no compelling legitimate governmental interest sufficient to deny equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.
sickofit

Austin, MN

#995 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you make us, fckwit?
Now, what part of p*ss off are you in confusion about? Shall I dumb it down for ya? Let me know.
Have a nice day.
WE THE PEOPLE ----ALWAYS MAKE OUR ENEMIES DO WHAT WE WANT....GOT THAT...ENEMY OF THIS NATION??????

Yoru the one confused....you think it is still the 1800,s....IT IS 2013 YORU STONE AGE CAVEMAN BELIEFS DONT FLY TODAY LOSER.....
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#996 Jan 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, youndidn't bother to read. Mrs. Loving clearly stated that, she felt, the right to celebrate love for each other belonged to all couples, including same sex couples.
If you're not going to bother to keep up with the conversation, you may as well be quiet. Something about being silent and thought a fool versus opening your mouth and removing all doubt.
Why don't you follow your own advice? Thanks.
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#997 Jan 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You must never have been married to someone you love if you think the financial protections are the most important aspect. Normal people think about their wedding day and the joy of publicly declaring their love and commitment to one another. They thinks of the struggles and triumphs that they have met along the path together. And there is really only one word that captures all of that in our culture. And the word is not civil whatchamacallit.
Kindly keep your assumptions to yourself. Thanks.

Location hidden

#998 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you make us, fckwit?
Now, what part of p*ss off are you in confusion about? Shall I dumb it down for ya? Let me know.
Have a nice day.
Hi Aisling. What do you think of civil unions for gay people? Maybe you have said & I missed it.
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#999 Jan 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute! So you're telling us that it's easier to achieve marriage equality than universally recognized civil whatchamcallits? And because it's harder and will take longer, we should strive for the inferior result? Come back to earth whenever you're ready!
Thanks for sharing. I'm now going to proceed to ignore your posts.

Have a nice day.

Location hidden

#1000 Jan 12, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, you provide no compelling legitimate governmental interest sufficient to deny equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.
To me- I feel the same about your arguements.
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#1002 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you're wrong.
quote: "So you can perform as many weddings as you wish to but it will considered a same sex union, not marriage, in the eyes of those who will see marriage as that between a man and a woman."
And the point is: those people won't matter. At all. They will still have to legally recognize same sex marriages for purposes of business, etc. They won't have a choice. They can think whatever they want, but their thoughts won't matter. And over time, they'll die out, and their bigoted ideas with them.
You sound just like the racists who said they didn't care about the Civil Rights laws, black people would never be equal to them. Guess what - they're dead or irrelevant now, and when kids read history books about them, they shake their heads and think, "how could anybody be that way?"
That's how kids will see you. You are an embarrassment to this nation.
You can keep insisting things will "never change" but the fact is they already have, and will continue to do so. Yes, we will know more in June. But let me be clear: no matter what is decided in June, this doesn't end until full equality is achieved. Period.
Scrolling....

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1001 Jan 12, 2013
Same sex marriage creates a new standard of gender segregation marriage where marriage as one man and one woman is gender integrated. If you like diversity; oppose gender apartheid marriage.

AOL

#1003 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil union.
Laws that deny equality, stigmatize those being denied. This stigma affects how they are treated in a wide variety of situations, and can affect how they view themselves when the government tells them they are not worthy of equal treatment.

The Supreme Court ruled on the matter of "separate but equal" in the 1954 case Brown v. Board of Education. The court recognized that "separate but equal" opportunities created a feeling of inferiority for the minorities being segregated, and that this feeling of segregation could cause permanent emotional injury.It was the feeling of segregation and therefore inferiority that caused the court to determine separate could not be equal.

Ca. Supreme court agrees: "The statutory provisions that continue to limit access to this designation exclusively to opposite sex couples likely will be viewed as an official statement that the family relationship of same sex couples are not of comparable stature or equal dignity to the family relationship of opposite-sex couples." (p.118 In Re Marriage)

"While retention of the limitation of marriage to opposite-sex couples is not needed to preserve the rights and benefits of opposite-sex couples, the exclusion of same sex couples from the designation of marriage works a real and appreciable harm upon same-sex couples and their children." (p.117 In re Marriage)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1004 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Culture helps to defines a nation/country's identity.
And a Nation/Country is nothing more than the individuals that create the cultureS. The United States has NEVER been mono-cultural. That makes things difficult, but not stagnant or oppressive.
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#1005 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a "union." I have a marriage. Choke on it, b!tch.
You're so over and you don't even know it.
Wait until it's legal in all 50 states. You'll have no one to chat with. None of us will be here because what's the point in arguing with the losers? You'll be as relevant as the KKK, and as widely shamed by mainstream society. Your talk will become unacceptable in the public square, just like the n-word has become over the last 30 years. The writing is on the wall. I feel sorry for you, there's something wrong with you to still be clinging so desperately to these ideas of inequality. What happened to you to make you like this?
Scrolling...
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#1006 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Defend all you want. You're on the losing side of history.
People defended slavery. They thought they were righteous.
People defended segregation. They thought they were righteous.
People defended women being barefoot & pregnant with no vote. They thought they were righteous.
And people like you - amazingly - didn't learn their lesson from all that, and defend second-class citizenship for gay American citizens. And you actually think you are righteous.
You will be slapped down like the other groups before you. You are part of those kind of people. That's you.
And you're just as wrong as they were.
America, thankfully, is better than you.
Still scrolling...
aisling-

Port Clinton, OH

#1007 Jan 12, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! OK, try and explain what's different. Good luck with that!
All civil rights are civil rights, dummy.
And now, proceeding to ignore your posts.

Have a nice day.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1008 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
If your marriage exists to you then what are you talking about? If you want equal laws to protect your rights I don't care. I already stated what I think about that.
You can have various kinds of groups who love each other and consider themselves family- that doesn't mean their situation is MARRIAGE by US definiton.
I'm sorry you had trumoil growing up and hope you're happy. You think my feelings about keeping marriage as it is constitutes hate and I don't. We will never see the same on this issue. And you said people under 30 basically agree- well, I am way under 30. It was a *shrugs* issue to me until I really starting putting other things together and I changed my mind.
Whether you call it hate or not, it's messed up and wrong.

Yes I have a marriage. No you can't change that or call it something else.

The next steps are for full legal recognition, entailing: 1) repeal DOMA and 2) Marriage legal in all 50 states.

It's a matter of time. A relatively short time, I predict.

I don't care what you wish were true, or what you plan to keep saying or not saying after the fact. You just make yourself sound silly. A tree is a tree, even if you start insisting it's a dog. Reality wins.

When two consenting adults of legal age get married, then that's a marriage, no matter who likes it or doesn't. That's the reality you haven't yet faced.

And for that, you deserve contempt and ridicule.
sickofit

Austin, MN

#1009 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think of as super rich though? Some rich got it honorably. And you left out politicians.
Super rich is anyone making over 50 million a year...And yes lets exclude those who got rich by hard work and creating jobs

Oh and yes most politicans are lawyers bankers and rich...sooooooooo

AOL

#1010 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
To me- I feel the same about your arguements.
I am not trying to justify discrimination under the law. I have no legitimate governmental interest sufficient to deny equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution. And neither do you.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1011 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah there are almost no moral lines anymore- or they are severely blurred. Things are increasingly "objective" and amoral- which will eventually lead to immorality and people won't even understand they wallow in it because they can't recognise it anymore.
Nonsense. No heterosexual marriage is more moral than mine. Most are less moral than mine - cheating, abuse, divorce, etc.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1012 Jan 12, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it is.
If it wasn't about acceptance there would be no discussion because gays already share the same marriage rights non-gays do.
Your presumption is incorrect; therefore your assertion is false.

Try again, dummy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 3 min EdmondWA 249
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 35 min June VanDerMark 12,630
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr tbird19482 44,039
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Strel 23,925
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr McSpade 4,956
News Donald Trump Meets with SCOTUS Candidate Willia... 4 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 2
News Indiana Youth Group relocates to larger headqua... 4 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 2
News Gay Activists Plan Inaugural 'Queer Dance Party... 5 hr Frogface Kate 7
More from around the web