Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,568

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8697 Aug 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Except in over 30 states in the Union. That horse is alive and well!
Male-female only marriages may be the law of the land in those states, but those states cannot argue the point, that only male-female couples can constitute marriage, in federal court as justification to deny same-sex marriages. Any court will be able to point to those same-sex couples already married and acknowledged as legally married by the federal government.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#8698 Aug 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
make that one less. new mexico just started allowing same sex marriages.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#8699 Aug 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet no imposition of ssm nationwide, or declaration its a "fundamental right". 30 plus state constitional amendments left undidturbed by the court. Apparently five Justices felt it was rational to leave them alone.
Wait..... you think this is over?

hahahahahahahaha
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#8700 Aug 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You call a 50% divorce rate 'well?'

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8701 Aug 28, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Additionally, he continues to ignore the fact fundamental rights do not need to provide any benefit to the government, but only to the individual. Yet the government must demonstrate a compelling state interest for restriction, if it seeks to restrict fundamental rights of the individual. And no such interest has been nor can be demonstrated.
It can be argued free speech, free press, and other fundamental human rights do not benefit the government, but make the job of governing even harder. They preserve liberty and justice for the individual, not the government.
Right. Let me test you. Do you know which case established the "compelling state interest doctrine?" Hint: It had to do with antebellum New Orleans.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8702 Aug 28, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The horse will be totally dead within ten years. Want to take a wager on that?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8703 Aug 28, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait..... you think this is over?
hahahahahahahaha
Is that your Harley Quinn laugh? The Joker would be proud!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8704 Aug 28, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
You call a 50% divorce rate 'well?'
Are you including....

BOSTON — A lesbian couple who led the fight for gay marriage in Massachusetts have filed for divorce.

Julie and Hillary Goodridge were among seven gay couples who filed a lawsuit that led to a court ruling making Massachusetts the first state to legalize same-sex marriages in 2004. The couple became the public face of the debate in the state and married the first day same-sex marriages became legal.

Or this....

A lesbian couple that married in New York soon after the state passed a law that recognized marriage equality last year is now filing for divorce, the New York Daily News reported.

Dese’Rae Stage, a 29-year-old photographer and Katie Marks, a 29-year-old masseuse, have publically announced their split.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8705 Aug 28, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The horse will be totally dead within ten years. Want to take a wager on that?
Don't forget Wastey what horse is off in the distance, slowly gaining ground....can you name it?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8706 Aug 28, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you including....
BOSTON — A lesbian couple who led the fight for gay marriage in Massachusetts have filed for divorce.
Julie and Hillary Goodridge were among seven gay couples who filed a lawsuit that led to a court ruling making Massachusetts the first state to legalize same-sex marriages in 2004. The couple became the public face of the debate in the state and married the first day same-sex marriages became legal.
Or this....
A lesbian couple that married in New York soon after the state passed a law that recognized marriage equality last year is now filing for divorce, the New York Daily News reported.
Dese’Rae Stage, a 29-year-old photographer and Katie Marks, a 29-year-old masseuse, have publically announced their split.
Those who claim gays will be better at the marriage game than straights are deluding themselves. If we end up with different statistics in the long run, it will say more about how gays make the decision to marry than about our skills navigating relationships.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8707 Aug 28, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who claim gays will be better at the marriage game than straights are deluding themselves. If we end up with different statistics in the long run, it will say more about how gays make the decision to marry than about our skills navigating relationships.
An honest appraisal. Its interesting there are gender difference even with SSMs. Female SSCs marry/enter civil unions at a higher rate than their male counterparts, but appear to have a higher divorce/dissolurion rate as well. As we've discussed before female unions tend to be more monogamous, male ones more "flexible".

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8709 Aug 28, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
Hate freedom much?
Freedom means being a professional photographer without the government forcing you to support a same sex wedding with your art Same sex marriage isn't just antidemocratic, it's anti-freedom too.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#8710 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Freedom means being a professional photographer without the government forcing you to support a same sex wedding with your art Same sex marriage isn't just antidemocratic, it's anti-freedom too.
Brian, you are an idiot. The photographer's right to freely exercise the religion of their choosing is not infringed by having to shoot photographs of people with whom they disagree on faith.

Could I refuse you a service merely because you are stupid and unpleasant? Of course not. Only a fool would say otherwise.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#8711 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I'm advocating for equal rights and I've given evidence homosexuals have always married under the same laws as everyone else. I'm advocating against the special right to sue your neighbor or state to have an activist judiciary rewrite marriage law instead of applying that law impartially to all.
Brian, you have yet to offer a compelling governmental interest served by denying same sex couples the right to marry. Until you do so, your point is invalid, and utterly unsupported by fact.
Brian_G wrote:
Also note, other than WasteWater, nobody has agreed with advocating Russian gays threatened by Putin's fascist speech restrictions and violence be granted asylum in America. What's the matter with you all? Don't you care about murdered Russian gays? Is it more desirable to defame religion with blame than to face the fact Putin's antidemocratic and same sex marriage is less important than survival.
Do try to stay on topic.
Brian_G wrote:
Reason number one for keeping marriage male/female; survival. The same sex marriage left really doesn't care if Gays are murdered in Russia as long as that doesn't hurt their political goals. I believe life is more important than same sex marriage; that's why I support current marriage law and oppose courts imposing their morality on the people without consent. I oppose suing citizens who refuse to facilitate same sex marriage, like that poor florist at Arlene's Flowers in Washington. And I oppose sitting around defaming political opponents why Russian gays are arrested, imprisoned and murdered. That's why I advocate asylum for Russian Gays: Survival - Reason Number One.
Brian, if same sex couples are not allowed to marry, will they still have sex?
If same sex marriage is allowed, will opposites sex couples stop having sex?

You see, legally allowing or denying same sex marriage has no impact whatsoever upon procreation or the continuation of the species. You look terribly unintelligent each and every time you advance this infantile notion.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#8712 Aug 28, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, you are an idiot. The photographer's right to freely exercise the religion of their choosing is not infringed by having to shoot photographs of people with whom they disagree on faith. Could I refuse you a service merely because you are stupid and unpleasant? Of course not. Only a fool would say otherwise.
Then, you force a Jewish photographer to photograph a Nazi party commemoration or an African-American photographer to shoot a KKK rally? That's coexistence and neighborly behavior now, don't like their religion so you sue?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#8713 Aug 28, 2013
ARTIST WHO PAINTED PUTIN IN UNDERWEAR FLEES RUSSIA

MOSCOW (AP)-- A museum director says an artist whose paintings depicted Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev in women's undergarments has fled the country.

The director of St. Petersburg's Museum of Power, Tatiana Titova, said Wednesday that Konstantin Altunin left for France and was planning to request asylum there. Authorities removed four of Altunin's satirical depictions of Russian politicians on Monday and shut down the exhibition.

A police statement did not specify which laws may have been violated by the provocative works. A Russian law prohibits insulting state authorities. Another law bans so-called homosexual propaganda aimed at minors....

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#8714 Aug 28, 2013

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#8715 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Then, you force a Jewish photographer to photograph a Nazi party commemoration or an African-American photographer to shoot a KKK rally? That's coexistence and neighborly behavior now, don't like their religion so you sue?
Brian, your hypothetical is disingenuous and inflammatory at best.

Both Neo-Nazis and the KKK are hate groups who clearly have malicious views towards Jews and African Americans respectively.

The fact that you equate homosexuals, who are not a hate group, with Neo-Nazis and the KK says more about you than anything else. Of course, no business owner should be forced to enter a dangerous environment where they risk bodily harm to perform a service. Can you indicate any way in which a Christian business owner risks life or limb by offering their services for a gay wedding? You certainly have not offered a way in which their rendering a service violates their free exercise of religion.

In fat, you've mainly made yourself out to be a bigoted fool.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#8716 Aug 28, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, your hypothetical is disingenuous and inflammatory at best. Both Neo-Nazis and the KKK are hate groups who clearly have malicious views towards Jews and African Americans respectively. The fact that you equate homosexuals, who are not a hate group, with Neo-Nazis and the KK says more about you than anything else. Of course, no business owner should be forced to enter a dangerous environment where they risk bodily harm to perform a service. Can you indicate any way in which a Christian business owner risks life or limb by offering their services for a gay wedding? You certainly have not offered a way in which their rendering a service violates their free exercise of religion. In fat, you've mainly made yourself out to be a bigoted fool.
In fact, I never compared homosexuals "with Neo-Nazis and the KK[K]", in fact I claim many homosexuals defend marriage as one man and one woman.

The point is the victims, the artistic freedom of the photographer, baker and florist, and their freedom not to custom same sex marriage. You claimed it wouldn't affect our marriage; its affecting three marriages and counting. Every time they sue, it proves same sex marriage causes social harm.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8717 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
in fact I claim many homosexuals defend marriage as one man and one woman.
Do you have ANY evidence to back up this claim? I think the fact that you believe this doesn't make it true and I'm sure that there are Gays and Lesbians who do defend your definition......but how many is my question to you......can you answer it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 32 min The_Box 3,438
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 34 min KiMare 70
US judge upholds state same-sex marriage ban, r... 34 min dirtclod 986
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 35 min Theodore 95
Westboro Baptist Church Thanks God for Horrific... 35 min cancer suxs 12
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 44 min Belle Sexton 32
St. Louis challenge to gay marriage ban in court 47 min Belle Sexton 8
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 7 hr Frank Rizzo 2,197
There's going to be more gay sex on ABC's 'How ... 11 hr Teetering on the ... 24

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE