Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#8601 Aug 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
JOANIE! Is that you?! Does this mean we're conversing again, or is this a momentary lapse of sanity on your part? Might as well play along. Why else would it matter to the state who married who, or even to recognize marriage at all, if not for the obvious fact that sex between men and women makes little Joanie's? Marriage served as a societal mean of regulating sexual relations between the sexes, and the products of those relations, children. As far as same sex sexual behavior, it was considered criminal, and/or a sign of mental illness for much of American history, so it wouldn't even have factored in to marriage law, prior to relatively recently.
Historical context, the argument of idiots.

Location hidden

#8602 Aug 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Rewriting marriage laws for everyone isn't a fundamental right. Else, Muslims would have polygamy. Keeping marriage as is prevents the segregation of marriage where we've now got perfect affirmative action and diversity of one man/one woman marriage.
If you love integration over segregation; keep marriage one man and one woman.
What marriage laws are being re-written Brian_G? Why do you cowardly avoid answering this question?

Location hidden

#8603 Aug 25, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Junior high? No, they start much earlier, kindergarten. They use bullying as a reason to justify promoting homosexuality. Normal people can see right through that.
2. It does present major problems. If gays shower with straights of the same sex then equality demands that opposite sex straights should shower together.
Equality demands? You're such a moron. Are you related to Brian_G?

Location hidden

#8604 Aug 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Normal people are the folks getting sued for their belief, marriage is male/female.
Who's getting sued for their beliefs? Bet you cowardly avoid answering this one too. Bet you've been a sissy your whole life.

Location hidden

#8606 Aug 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The left uses media and liberal courts to bypass law and consideration.
See the florist in Washington, the baker in Oregon and the photographer in New Mexico for examples of the left persecuting religious Christians.
They aren't being persecuted, they are being sued because they discriminated. That's illegal. If they hadn't decided that their religious beliefs placed them above the law, which they don't, they wouldn't be in the messes they are in. Has nothing to do with the left or the media. It has to do with them breaking the law.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#8608 Aug 25, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>The ones that currently say same sex marriage is illegal,....you really didn't know that?
First off......there is NO such thing as "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" Marriage!!!

Secondly.......NO STATE STATES that a Same-Sex Couple getting married is ILLEGAL......it's just NOT recognized by the state and NO STATE ISSUED MARRIAGE LICENSE is being issued, but a Same-Sex Couple can have a wedding ceremony, classify themselves as being married and the State CAN'T do anything about it.

Thirdly.......ILLEGAL implies that a crime has been committed and the couple could face prosecution for their actions........personally, I'd love to see a State try this one, we'd have Loving vs Virginia ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Location hidden

#8609 Aug 25, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>Like when gays point out how inter-racial marriage used to be illegal, too...???...
That kind of "idiots"?
That's a comparative, not an argument.

You must be related to Pedro.

Location hidden

#8610 Aug 25, 2013
0h-__-R3411Y wrote:
<quoted text>The ones that currently say same sex marriage is illegal,....you really didn't know that?
There is no law that says that. You really didn't know that? Feel free to present a law that discusses a same sex marriage! For that matter, feel free to show a law the demonstrates the illegality you discuss!! I'd love an example of anyone that has been arrested for doing this "illegal" act!!!!!

Putz.

Location hidden

#8611 Aug 25, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
First off......there is NO such thing as "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" Marriage!!!
Secondly.......NO STATE STATES that a Same-Sex Couple getting married is ILLEGAL......it's just NOT recognized by the state and NO STATE ISSUED MARRIAGE LICENSE is being issued, but a Same-Sex Couple can have a wedding ceremony, classify themselves as being married and the State CAN'T do anything about it.
Thirdly.......ILLEGAL implies that a crime has been committed and the couple could face prosecution for their actions........personally, I'd love to see a State try this one, we'd have Loving vs Virginia ALL OVER AGAIN!!!
LOL!! I love it when these whackadoos jump in thinking they know something!!!

#8612 Aug 25, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! I love it when these whackadoos jump in thinking they know something!!!
Or that we don't regarding this and many others issues concerning the GLBTQI Community!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8614 Aug 25, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Or that we don't regarding this and many others issues concerning the GLBTQI Community!!!
Why aren't those letters in alphabetical order? Are two seperate letters, "G", and "L", necessary when an "H", would suffice?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#8615 Aug 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Why aren't those letters in alphabetical order? Are two seperate letters, "G", and "L", necessary when an "H", would suffice?
And what the heck is Q? isn't that from Star Trek TNG? weren't they eternal beings

man, that is gonna be one long and dreadful marriage...

#8616 Aug 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the one letter doesn't suffice.......frankly, a Lesbian can be Gay(when the word "Gay" is used as slang for being a homosexual), but a Gay can NEVER be a Lesbian(because the word Lesbian specifically means a homosexual woman).......lol!!!

Really, so in your mind it should be BGILQT meaning Bisexual, Gay, Intersex, Lesbian, Questioning and Transgender makes sense to you?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#8617 Aug 25, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the one letter doesn't suffice.......frankly, a Lesbian can be Gay(when the word "Gay" is used as slang for being a homosexual), but a Gay can NEVER be a Lesbian(because the word Lesbian specifically means a homosexual woman).......lol!!!
Really, so in your mind it should be BGILQT meaning Bisexual, Gay, Intersex, Lesbian, Questioning and Transgender makes sense to you?
At one time, "gay" included everyone who didn't identify as heterosexual. Most older gay women accept "lesbian" and "gay woman" as interchangeable terms. Then, so as not to be neglected, others wanted their own identifying terms included, leading to the alphabet soup approach. While the differences can be important internally, it sometimes seems more divisive than unifying of sexual minorities.

Since: Jan 10

Westerville, OH

#8618 Aug 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
See the pattern?
I definitely see a pattern. It’s a pattern of hate, bigotry and bible verse cherry picking in order to justify an irrational and hysterical viewpoint. You and your ilk’s attempt to vilify Gay Americans is shameless and unfounded.

#8619 Aug 25, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
At one time, "gay" included everyone who didn't identify as heterosexual. Most older gay women accept "lesbian" and "gay woman" as interchangeable terms. Then, so as not to be neglected, others wanted their own identifying terms included, leading to the alphabet soup approach. While the differences can be important internally, it sometimes seems more divisive than unifying of sexual minorities.
I do agree with ya......it's just like with using the words "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" before the word marriage.....the only reason for doing this is to make something out of NOTHING......I have no issue being referred to as Gay or Lesbian or Homosexual......all basically have the same meaning and until I participated in a Gay Pride Parade back in 1990, I didn't know anything different......except for when I was joking with a co-worker who happened to be Gay....like myself...and I referred to him as a "[email protected]@ot" and his respond back to me was that he was not a bunch of sticks or twigs......since then, I educate myself before making certain types of comments.......anyways, the point of my comment wasn't to make an issue out of the words, but basically to let the person know that it was probably the media that made the initials and decided to make an issue between "GAY" and "LESBIAN".

Hope all is well with you and yours!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8620 Aug 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>And what the heck is Q? isn't that from Star Trek TNG? weren't they eternal beings
man, that is gonna be one long and dreadful marriage...
Ya know Woody, that makes sense.....I should've seen that one. TNG was okay, the original Enterprise is still the best.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8621 Aug 25, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
But both are homosexual. Don't forget there are male lesbians.:)
It's a legit question, why is it in that order and not alphabetical?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#8622 Aug 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know Woody, that makes sense.....I should've seen that one. TNG was okay, the original Enterprise is still the best.
I knew i liked you for a reason, Petey....

I do have to admit, and i cringe a little when i say this, but the pre-qual movie of the original star trek was pretty good. i thought they did a great job of setting up the characters of one of the most played off of shows ever. not an easy job...

that really was some excellent screenplay writing.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8623 Aug 25, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Also at one time the sexualization of the word "gay" referenced various illicit opposite sex sexual practices. A "gay man" was a womanizer, a "gay woman" a prostitute, and a "gay house" a brothel.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay

Usage note
In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” may go back to the late 1930s.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former gay activist backs 'no' campaign 8 min Martin 3
News Tanzania authorities arrest 12 over "homosexual... 12 min Frankie Rizzo 21
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 min Freedomofexpression 12,947
Transgender woman assaults 10 year old in restroom 28 min Martin 6
News Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Case Of Bake... 29 min INFIDEL 323
News GOP leaders decry North Carolina governor's LGB... 42 min Martin 4
News Gay And Jewish Themes Converge Once Again In 'T... 51 min Martin 1
News Who would be a better president: Donald Trump o... 1 hr Carpenter 23
News Trump pledges fealty to religious values, a oeM... 11 hr Shirvell s Shrivel 150
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 14 hr Freedomofexpression 57,562
More from around the web