Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments (Page 289)

Showing posts 5,761 - 5,780 of17,538
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
God Bless America
In God We Trust
Merry Christmas.....take the day off, legal holiday.
"So help me God"....says the new president.
One nation under God
http://chaplain.house.gov/index.html
Opening Prayer Given by the Guest Chaplain:
Creator, God, merciful and just.
You dwell above in holiness, a father to the fatherless, protector of widows and orphans. Dear Lord, rescue the weak and needy. Deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Give wisdom to this body. You hold all things in Your almighty hand, and You have established this House of Representatives and every governing authority as Your servants that they might protect the defenseless, praise those who do good and punish those who do evil.
Preserve and protect our President.
Humble all these Your servants with Your holy law, which You shine forth in all our hearts. Help them to seek peace.
You are a God who saves. Convict us of all our sins that we might know deliverance from these our wicked ways.
Hear this prayer for the sake of the merits of Your only Son, the crucified and risen Lord, Jesus Christ.
Amen.
Hell is for children

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>it is my understanding that her business is in no way subsidized by public funds. that would make her a private business doing business with the general public.
again you win no arguements, and don't really convince anyone that you have a superior or right position if you have to rely on brother, strong arm tactics of suing them in order to get your way.
and again it is not about the customer it was about the event. it's about freedom of religion and our right to live accordingly. it's about freedom of speech even while doing business and it's about free enterprise and a free market.
It doesn't matter if she gets public funds......her business is open to the public and she DOES NOT have the right to refuse service based on one's sexual orientation nor for a wedding UNLESS she doesn't provide flowers for ANY WEDDINGS!!!

Look Barry.......my wife and I were turned down by a few Clergy when we were looking for a Minister to marry us.......when they said no, we thanked them and went on.........BUT with regards to florists, cake decorators and photographers.....when the supposed Christians deny us services.......what are we suppose to do? Just continue getting abused and discriminated against? Would you be okay if you went to someplace and EVERY business denied you services? My guess is you'd be screaming bloody murder about being discriminated against......so, I'm truly sorry that you can't grasp the discussion here, but only PRIVATE NON-PROFITS can discriminate........and a PUBLIC BUSINESS is not a private business!!!

Sorry, that's the law!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
God Bless America
In God We Trust
Merry Christmas.....take the day off, legal holiday.

One nation under God
You are entitled to your religious beliefs, but this has NOTHING to do with this Country being a Christian Nation!!!

One Nation under God was NOT added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954 by President Eisenhower.......sorry, it wasn't part of the original!!!

Christmas day is a Holiday........but that again has even changed over the years and most say Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays.....get a clue Pete, your wonderful post is filled with your opinions.....good for you!!!

“"Freedom isn't free"”

Since: Feb 10

Sacramento Ca.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Its either a gay wedding, or a lesbian wedding, how about that Joanie?
No,so sorry oh great ignorant one! The marriage licenses do not say gay or lesbian wedding,all they say is that it is a marriage license period! You see there is no such thing as a "GAY" marriage,only a legally binding marriage license from the state that say nothing about it being a "GAY" marriage! Care to try again and so very glad I could set you straight!
Head of the CDC

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
I guess you told me.

(1) Homo-sexuals are at 2% of the American population.

(2) Homo-sexuals are 61% of the AIDS victims.

Day...

Yum.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
No, it's about changing the understanding OF marriage from a monogamous union,of husband and wife, to a two person, regardless of gender composition, "spouses for life".
So you now want to change the discussion from the 'definition' of marriage to an 'understanding'. Well here's a clue. Most people 'understand' that the 'definition' of marriage is changing to include male-male and female-female legally married couples. And they are coming to 'understand' that the inclusion of these new legal couples has no effect upon their marriages.
Pietro Armando wrote:
You cannot fight for that, which as an individual, you already possess, the right to marry, enter into a legally recognized union ofmhusband and wife, valid in all fifty states. What is sought is designate a same sex personal intimate sexual union, "marriage". The apples an oranges I alluded to arre two separate fruits. Perhaps the veggie patty, hamburger analogy is more apt. "We'll gee...it looks like a burger, similar texture, color, even has the grill marks....It must be a hamburger!.......nooooooo....i t's a veggie patty, but we'll call it a burger so the vegetarians came claim they eat burgers too.
Then what pray-tell has all the court cases and the contentious legislative actions to say nothing of the actions at the ballot boxes been all about? This line that gays can marry women and lesbians can marry men is disingenuous and condescending. Your continued posts are inane and tiresome. You are not convincing anyone.
Pietro Armando wrote:
In other words, marriage is a government benefits package, according to the new view.
Marriage has always come with benefits. But it also has Rights and Responsibilities. And these only come with Legal Civil Marriage. You cannot get them from a church (if you are married in one) and you cannot get any federal ones with a civil union. You could go to a lawyer and arrange for some of them (at great expense that you automatically get with a $50 marriage license.) Only the feds can grant the Social Security survivor benefits and they are the only ones to waive the inheritance tax for widowed spouses. See the Windsor DOMA case for why this is important.
Pietro Armando wrote:
The right to consumate the marriage, and if one party fails to consumate, engage in sexual intercourse, the other party has grounds for an annulment in some states.....do u mean that one as part of the rights and responsibilities? Oh wait....I forgot...not every aspect of conjugal, husband and wife, marriage applies to SSM. But aren't they both the same?
Here's a clue. Male-male and female-female married couples consummate their marriages just like male-female couple do. I'll leave you to Google how they accomplish that to your late night research. But as it has been already pointed out to you, the state doesn't care whether or not any marriage is consummated. No state will force an annulment or divorce on any marriage against the wishes of the married couple.

And if you cannot learn to spell CONSUMMATE you really ought not hold it out as your argument against including same-sex couples in legal Civil Marriages.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

RUFUBAR wrote:
<quoted text>
No,so sorry oh great ignorant one! The marriage licenses do not say gay or lesbian wedding,all they say is that it is a marriage license period! You see there is no such thing as a "GAY" marriage,only a legally binding marriage license from the state that say nothing about it being a "GAY" marriage! Care to try again and so very glad I could set you straight!
Pete doesn't grasp that reality......in fact most of the anti-gay folks don't!!!
Some Never Came Home

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Annie-Bananie wrote:
I don't support gay marriage and I can careless what anyone says. Maybe the church is a *little* pissed, because basically it's people stepping over what THEY established: marriage. So if why do they gays have to step their noses in something that was originally for straights. Just food for your thought.
Sorry Annie! NObody owns the institution of marriage first of all and secondly the Constitution deems that gay folk have every right to legally marry and are in fact now doing so in 13 states and the district of Columbia! So you see,you could not be more wrong,separate but equal is NEVER equal! Gays are FULL tax paying American citizens entitled to every right and privilege that us straights have!
Some Never Came Home

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Head of the CDC wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you told me.
(1) Homo-sexuals are at 2% of the American population.
(2) Homo-sexuals are 61% of the AIDS victims.
Day...
Yum.
Hey moron,you are aware that world wide the vast majority of AID's cases are of a heterosexual nature right? Start with Africa and go from there! Besides,what the hell does a terrible disease like AID's have to do with the topic of the thread? AID's does not discriminate as to who will contract it! Practice safe sex and there won't be a problem troll boy! Besides,34% of us heteros practice anal sex with our wives and or girlfriends,but I see you fail to mention that in your hate and ignorance!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Due to the screening of all donated blood, last time anyone was infected with HIV as a result was in 2008, when a single pint slipped through because it was someone who had not excluded themselves on the questionnaire, donated repeatedly over several years while uninfected, but donated again while their infection was too new for the test to detect. Prior to that, 2002, out of more than 1.5 million transfusions during between the incidents.
It's really simple to solve. Anyone who has had receptive anal sex (male or female), protected or not, should not donate for at least 6 months after and if it's a regular thing for you, just forget about donating. Women who have vaginal intercourse with men they know have had sex with men, should also be put off for at least 6 months. It's about the act, not the actors you moron.
I would say that, generally speaking, you shouldn't give blood unless you've abstained or been in a mutually monogamous relationship with someone whom you know to be HIV- for six months. I actually think the time period could be shorter, but that is a technical point.

Focusing on anal sex--while it does highlight the practice with the largest risk factor--potentially misses cases of transmission through other vectors. We should take the clinical view: Sex is not guaranteed safe unless it is with a monogamous partner who's known to be uninfected. But blood tests are guaranteed to work after a reasonable time.

Oh, and, my test doesn't require invasive questions about sex practices.
CDC Official Statement

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
Oh, and, my test doesn't require invasive questions about sex practices.
Very invasive of innocent people's bodies.

Homo-sexuals:

(1) 2% of population
(2) 61% of AIDS

Day...

Yum.
Some Never Came Home

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

CDC Official Statement wrote:
<quoted text>
Very invasive of innocent people's bodies.
Homo-sexuals:
(1) 2% of population
(2) 61% of AIDS
Day...
Yum.
I know,how about you STFU and move along now loser! World wide the vast majority of AID victims are heterosexual! Have you been tested lately? What's it like being an imbecile such as yourself anyway? Get with the topic of the thread,you think that's even possible for you? What are you 12? Does mommy know your up past bedtime?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

CDC Official Statement wrote:
You keep posting the same garbage without understanding that the numbers from the CDC website are nothing more than ESTIMATES......because no one really knows what the true population of America is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Straight.......just how many people we have overall!!!

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

The President leads our national conversation on race. He could have been Trayvon except he's more like George, half white, living in upper class neighborhoods and going to upper class schools. And O. didn't bop George's skull off the pavement either.
there will not be blood

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
from the CDC website
Not from the CDC website--from the head of the CDC in response to homo-sexuals.

2%

61% AIDS

Day...

Yum.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text> oops how about this, target and walmart already accomodate their muslim employees who do not wish to ring up pork products. the free market has spoken.
And you think that is right?

regardless, when one plays in the real world, and outside your cult's walls, they must play by real world rules. this goes for caterers and photographers and everybody...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
The President leads our national conversation on race. He could have been Trayvon except he's more like George, half white, living in upper class neighborhoods and going to upper class schools. And O. didn't bop George's skull off the pavement either.
Great. Brian is a racist, too. One thing you've got to respect about bigots is consistency.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

there will not be blood wrote:
<quoted text>
Not from the CDC website--from the head of the CDC in response to homo-sexuals.
Repeating this doesn't make it factual or correct......and I don't believe that the Head of the CDC has made this claim!!!

My guess is that you just want to repeat it until someone believes it, but the reality is that we DON'T know exactly what part of the population is actually Gay or Lesbian!!!
there will not be blood

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
Yes, the top person at the CDC said that, just last week:

a) 2% of Americans

b) 61% of AIDS victims

Day...

Yum.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
And George wasn't chasing a scared teen Obama through the streets, either, after being expressly told not to by the police.

Go figure.

Who really "stood their ground"?

The stalker, or the stalkee?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,761 - 5,780 of17,538
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••