Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
21 - 40 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

the light has come wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say violated or in jeopardy. Did I say anything about jail or fined. You must not keep up with the news. When California pass prop 8, there were people who lost there jobs because they made a donation to prop 8. When People in the public eye say anything against gay people, you see them coming back and apologizing. You can think I am stupid but the saw cuts both ways.
Can you cite an example of someone losing their job as the result of making a donation to Prop H8? If it happened, the news media sure kept it a secret. And you KNOW Rush Windbag and Ann Cuntler would have made a HUGE big deal over it if it had happened.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

"Black people, of all people, should not oppose equality. And that is what gay marriage represents.... No people of good will should oppose marriage equality. And they should not think that civil unions are a substitute. At best, civil unions are separate but equal. And we all know separate is never equal."

"When I'm asked if gay rights are civil rights, my answer is always:'Of course they are.' Civil rights are positive legal prerogatives, the right to equal treatment before the law.... There's no one in the United States who does not, or should not, share in enjoying these rights."
Julian Bond
Roofis wit da Gold Toofis

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Civil Unions if the freaks want to, Church marriage NEVER! IMHO das raht
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
"Black people, of all people, should not oppose equality. And that is what gay marriage represents.... No people of good will should oppose marriage equality. And they should not think that civil unions are a substitute. At best, civil unions are separate but equal. And we all know separate is never equal."
"When I'm asked if gay rights are civil rights, my answer is always:'Of course they are.' Civil rights are positive legal prerogatives, the right to equal treatment before the law.... There's no one in the United States who does not, or should not, share in enjoying these rights."
Julian Bond
"Loving does indicate that not all state restrictions upon the right to marry are beyond reach of the Fourteenth Amendment. But in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex."

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Roofis wit da Gold Toofis wrote:
We're not asking churches to marry us. Just the state. But there are many churches that are anxious to hold our services.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

When People in the public eye say anything against gay people, you see them coming back and apologizing.
That's because gay people are PEOPLE. Human beings. Politicians should not be scoring points by speaking out against their fellow citizens. You don't need the "freedom" to tarnish and villainize your fellow human beings. Instead, you need to figure out how to live and work WITH them, peaceably and cooperatively.

Politicians SHOULD apologize when they call for the mistreatment and exclusion of an entire class of people. It's not an expression of "freedom" to demand that gay people accept fewer rights than straight people. It's not an admirable quality to divide people into those who deserve dignity, respect and equality, and those who don't.

You certainly don't need the "freedom" to enforce your religion's policies onto people who are not part of your religion, or people who interpret your religion differently than you do. Your religious beliefs are your own, to apply to YOUR life however you decide. You may NOT require that other people apply them to THEIR lives in the same way. Your freedom to be a Christian citizen is not infringed, simply because someone else is not interested in obeying Christian rules.
Legal Horndog

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Roofis wit da Gold Toofis wrote:
Churches don't sell marriage licenses; Mr. Toofis
$35 marriage licenses are sold only at county courthouses and city halls.
No religion required
Judges perform marriages; sometimes for free. No preacher required
The IRS requires it to be called 'marriage' on the tax form
There is no check box for 'civil union' on any of the IRS tax forms

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
Julian Bond
Exactly my point ^^^. It's a civil rights issue. These black churches should know better of all people. There was a time when blacks weren't even considered human, therefore, mistreated as such and those who did so took quotes out of the holy bible to back this up. It's the same thing these black church leaders are doing to the LGBT community. Trying to strip away their civil rights. These black church leaders should've focused decades ago on the illegitimate children being born out of wedlock in the black community which they themselves will attest to this being immoral and a sin. Churches all over pick and choose what they deem as a sin when it suits their agenda.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people have lost jobs because they are gay? Despite all the howling and whining from the religious leaders, the backlash against supporters of Prop 8 has been all-but-nonexistent.
Do you read every thing that the news media put out. I can tell what I read.
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that "stand against wrong" working out for those churches??? 70% of their young mothers having children out of wedlock and raising them with no father in the picture??
I'm thinking that their courageous "stand against wrong" isn't working out so well, is it?
Maybe they should get some education and start living in the real world instead of an ideological world that never has and never will exist....
God told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit. He gave them free will. He told them of the consequence in disobedience. Do you think religious leaders can do more than God. Only thing they can do it tell the people. if the make wrong choices they have no one to blame but themselves.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

<quoted text>Do you read every thing that the news media put out. I can tell what I read.
So in other words, "No. I *don't* have any examples to someone being fired for their support of Prop H8. I just said that and hoped no one would question it."

Am I wrong?
the light has come

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because gay people are PEOPLE. Human beings. Politicians should not be scoring points by speaking out against their fellow citizens. You don't need the "freedom" to tarnish and villainize your fellow human beings. Instead, you need to figure out how to live and work WITH them, peaceably and cooperatively.
Politicians SHOULD apologize when they call for the mistreatment and exclusion of an entire class of people. It's not an expression of "freedom" to demand that gay people accept fewer rights than straight people. It's not an admirable quality to divide people into those who deserve dignity, respect and equality, and those who don't.
You certainly don't need the "freedom" to enforce your religion's policies onto people who are not part of your religion, or people who interpret your religion differently than you do. Your religious beliefs are your own, to apply to YOUR life however you decide. You may NOT require that other people apply them to THEIR lives in the same way. Your freedom to be a Christian citizen is not infringed, simply because someone else is not interested in obeying Christian rules.
I was pointing out what has happen as some of the people posting think it do not happen. Many laws have been made that are force on the people but they obey them. When there is a conflict in views on the same subject a vote is what decide which one to follow. Because people with religion have different views, they have a right to vote on or against those who differ. The majority may not be right but it is the majority who have the last say in most cases.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Duh. Did you have a point?
Christians have rights under the Constitution just like non Christians....

We have freedom of religion which is protected by the Constitution.

Gods laws are revelant under freedom of religion/speech.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>God told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit. He gave them free will. He told them of the consequence in disobedience. Do you think religious leaders can do more than God. Only thing they can do it tell the people. if the make wrong choices they have no one to blame but themselves.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then a talking snake showed up and convinced Eve to make Adam eat the wrong thing and your kind and loving, all knowing, always forgiving God kicked their asses out of Eden.

Nice.

What has any of that got to do with the fact that simply preaching at people and telling them what they can and can't do ISN'T WORKING???

Again, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to live in the real world and pursue ACTUAL SOLUTIONS than to simply continue hammering away at something that's CLEARLY NOT WORKING???
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
No one should apologize for saying that nature intended for children to have a mama and daddy.

No one should apologize for saying that 100% of homosexuals choose to be with the same gender or are raped as kids (or in prison) and becomes use to same gender sex.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

LAcreole wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point ^^^. It's a civil rights issue. These black churches should know better of all people. There was a time when blacks weren't even considered human, therefore, mistreated as such and those who did so took quotes out of the holy bible to back this up. It's the same thing these black church leaders are doing to the LGBT community. Trying to strip away their civil rights. These black church leaders should've focused decades ago on the illegitimate children being born out of wedlock in the black community which they themselves will attest to this being immoral and a sin. Churches all over pick and choose what they deem as a sin when it suits their agenda.
You're despicable if you're claiming that an unnatural sexual choice is the same thing as being born with black skin.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then a talking snake showed up and convinced Eve to make Adam eat the wrong thing and your kind and loving, all knowing, always forgiving God kicked their asses out of Eden.
Nice.
What has any of that got to do with the fact that simply preaching at people and telling them what they can and can't do ISN'T WORKING???
Again, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to live in the real world and pursue ACTUAL SOLUTIONS than to simply continue hammering away at something that's CLEARLY NOT WORKING???
Yeah, yeah yeah a man sticking his penis where waste material comes out in another man is perfectly normal.

Actual solutions already exist..... Men and women can reproduce making them a natural part of nature humanity...the basic building blk of any stable, civilized society.

Two men or two women can never reproduce, the best they can bring to the table are blended families which have a high failure rate....

The solution is for marriage BTW man and woman to be protected...,

Homosexuals should never be harmed, should be left alone to live their ways however they see fit...

But should never be forced on society as natural.
/normal.

Children crave normalcy ...normalcy equals mama and daddy raising children...this is the best model for the family and should be protected over and above all fringe special interest groups.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You're despicable if you're claiming that an unnatural sexual choice is the same thing as being born with black skin.
Guess what, Carol!! In order for you to believe it's a choice, YOU have to be feeling some level of same-sex attraction, don't you?? Straight people and gay people know that it's not a choice. We know that because we're not attracted to one of the two genders and we can't "choose" to change it.

If you believe you can, then that means you're not straight, dear. You're a self-repressing bisexual.

Welcome to the club, Carol!! You're one of us, whether you like it or not.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what, Carol!! In order for you to believe it's a choice, YOU have to be feeling some level of same-sex attraction, don't you?? Straight people and gay people know that it's not a choice. We know that because we're not attracted to one of the two genders and we can't "choose" to change it.
If you believe you can, then that means you're not straight, dear. You're a self-repressing bisexual.
Welcome to the club, Carol!! You're one of us, whether you like it or not.
I'm sure adult homosexuals choose who they want to be intimate with...they're not being forced into same sex relationships...it is a choice.

Being born with blk skin is not a choice, the average blk person can't hide their heritage.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Carol wrote:
Yeah, yeah yeah a man sticking his penis where waste material comes out in another man is perfectly normal
So now we know you love a hole instead of the complete package
and we didn't have to ask

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 14 min Jooosh04 946
Gay dads dispel same-sex adoption myths - and a... 1 hr DebraE 108
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr DebraE 54,805
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr The Rogue 49,393
Chile sailor publicly discloses his homosexuality 4 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 4 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 4 hr Ashley1204 243
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 4 hr Fa-Foxy 34
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 5 hr DNF 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••