Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#4043 Mar 15, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Then support MARRIAGE, instead of trying to require that certain kids have unmarried parents, despite their parent's wish to legally marry.
And are you REALLY posting things from Ann Counter?
Oh....like children of plural marriage families? They have both their biological mother AND father raising them. So it makes sense for their parents to be married. After all marriage is marriage, right Questy?

If you're going to use the argument, "children should have married parents", understand it can be used to support a variety of relationships.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#4044 Mar 15, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You - or Rubio - would only be a bigot if you try to create or preserve laws that harm American families, with no government interest in that harm.
So as long as there is a "government interest in that harm", it's okay?
Your personal opinions should end at my front door. Keep your irrational hatreds and beliefs in your own homes, and no one will call you a bigot.
So it's only bigotry when you oppose what others personally believe, or when that belief conflicts with what you believe, but not the reverse?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#4045 Mar 15, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
If my relationship with my husband doesn't depend on anyone else's marriage, and yours doesn't depend on mine or anybody else's, why do you think other people's marriages will be affect by same-sex couples marrying?
One could substitute all sorts of arrangements for same sex couples, and it woulda 't effect my marriage, or yours, but that reasoning. So at what point then does it become pointless? Why bother legally recognizing marriage at all?
Law evolves constantly. Sometimes evolution is better for some people and worse for others. Sometimes, old curmudgeons just don't like change, and they begrudge other people's lives improving, even if it has no effect on them.
The ole "...even if it has no effect on them" argument. That could be used for all sorts of things not just marriage. Not every "evolution" of the law has a beneficial effect on society as a whole. We seen the negative consequences with "no fault divorce", some states are starting to rethink that concept. ome laws even infringe on others, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4046 Mar 15, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
One could substitute all sorts of arrangements for same sex couples, and it woulda 't effect my marriage, or yours, but that reasoning. So at what point then does it become pointless? Why bother legally recognizing marriage at all?
<quoted text>
The ole "...even if it has no effect on them" argument. That could be used for all sorts of things not just marriage. Not every "evolution" of the law has a beneficial effect on society as a whole. We seen the negative consequences with "no fault divorce", some states are starting to rethink that concept. ome laws even infringe on others, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
The original claim that I responded to was that same-sex coupling would destroy the American family. So far, we are in 100% agreement that same-sex marriage has no effect on other marriages. How conveniently you forget the subject of the thread. Got Alzheimer's?
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#4047 Mar 15, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Valid point.
No, it's NOT a valid point because the premise is false.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#4048 Mar 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
"I respect people who disagree with me on certain things, but they have to respect me too," [] "Just because I believe states should have the right to define marriage in a traditional way does not make me a bigot. Just because we believe life – all life – is worthy of protection at every stage of its development does not make you a chauvinist."
"The people who are actually closed minded in American politics are the people who love to preach about the certainty of science in regards to our climate but ignore the absolute fact that science has proven that life begins at conception,"
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/...
Has anyone found a full text of Senator Rubio's speech?
Unfortunately, it was mistaken for toilet paper and...well....
Sparkle

United States

#4050 Mar 15, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
You and me both know that Prep 8 will work just as well as Preparation H.

You bust tonight dear?
love liliith ... the real one

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4051 Mar 15, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm telling you, he is PISSED because Vermont passed gay marriage against his recommendation. I mean, don't they know who he is?????????? How dare they ignore him??? So he comes here, makes the same simple-ass arguments he made in Vermont, thinking he can make a difference. hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Well, we shouldn't be so hard on him. It's getting harder and harder for pretend lawyers to get attention anymore. Too many of us with zero legal education know ten times more than they do about legal issues, so it's REALLY getting hard for them.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#4052 Mar 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It would be hard to make the case that fast food, plastic bags and cigarettes do more damage than single motherhood.
-- Controlling for socioeconomic status, race and place of residence, the strongest predictor of whether a person will end up in prison is that he was raised by a single mother.
-- At least 70 percent of juvenile murderers, pregnant teenagers, high school dropouts, teen suicides, runaways and juvenile delinquents were raised by single mothers.
-- A study back in 1990 by the Progressive Policy Institute showed that, absent single motherhood, there would be no difference in black and white crime rates.
Ann Coulter
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-03-13....
Morons with nor real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"
Even if all the stuff you posted is true, it's not an argument against gay marriage. Try to stay on topic.

Santa Monica, CA

#4053 Mar 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
"I respect people who disagree with me on certain things, but they have to respect me too," [] "Just because I believe states should have the right to define marriage in a traditional way does not make me a bigot.
Actually, what people call "traditional" marriage is quite modern. And it's definition denies people 14th Amendment rights.
And as it was in the Jim Crow era, "states' rights" is just code for "I'm a bigot, and want my bigotry imposed by law."
Brian_G wrote:

Just because we believe life – all life – is worthy of protection at every stage of its development does not make you a chauvinist."
"The people who are actually closed minded in American politics are the people who love to preach about the certainty of science in regards to our climate but ignore the absolute fact that science has proven that life begins at conception,"
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/...
Has anyone found a full text of Senator Rubio's speech?
Learn how to use a search engine, you stupid b!tch and find it yourself
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#4054 Mar 15, 2013
I'm going to be a bitch for second because I don't get one group that is being discriminated against turn around and discriminate against another group.

If your children are not going to have daddies, it's whole lot better that they have two mommies, snap.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#4055 Mar 15, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, we shouldn't be so hard on him. It's getting harder and harder for pretend lawyers to get attention anymore. Too many of us with zero legal education know ten times more than they do about legal issues, so it's REALLY getting hard for them.
Watching Perry Mason reruns gives one a better legal understanding than FranceAss has. I think it's HYSTERICAL that he thinks he's getting away with it.
Rob

Pekin, IL

#4056 Mar 15, 2013
Rose_TheHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Morons with nor real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"
Even if all the stuff you posted is true, it's not an argument against gay marriage. Try to stay on topic.
There is of course no rational argument for homosexual 'marriage.' Homosexual 'marriage' is a complete fraud.

It has been overwhelmingly rejected by homosexuals as an actual practice in every country that allows it, and studies have shown that most such 'marriages' aren't even exclusive arrangements.

No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage. No child is ever born as a direct result and no such relationship can provide a child with a father and mother. Homosexual 'marriage,' where legal, isn't even a basic building block of homosexual society, much less of society as a whole. There is no standardized format for homosexual 'marriages,' and no economically unequal genders are involved.

Why not forget about disenfranchising others in order for force your concocted, failed philosophy into law? Why not try a little live and let live?

“Headline already in use”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4057 Mar 15, 2013
Quest wrote:
Then support MARRIAGE, instead of trying to require that certain kids have unmarried parents, despite their parent's wish to legally marry.
Pietro Armando already pointed out, that argument would permit polygamy too. Besides, the same sex couple raising certain kids aren't truly parents.

Quest wrote:
And are you REALLY posting things from Ann Counter?
Why not?

Home, sweet home.

#4058 Mar 15, 2013
Quest wrote:
You - or Rubio - would only be a bigot if you try to create or preserve laws that harm American families, with no government interest in that harm.
I prefer to view it as protecting marriage, culture and civilization than harm. The plaintiff must prove their case, I don't have to prove innocence.

Quest wrote:
Your personal opinions should end at my front door.
Marriage laws affect everyone.

Quest wrote:
Keep your irrational hatreds and beliefs in your own homes, and no one will call you a bigot.
Ad hominem arguments are fallacies; I don't use insults because that's not rational.

Home, sweet home.

#4059 Mar 15, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
Thanks for... nothing.

Santa Monica, CA

#4060 Mar 15, 2013
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>There is of course no rational argument for homosexual 'marriage.'(snip
)
David M, it's a matter of equal rights. The only argument needed.
Rob wrote:
Homosexual 'marriage' is a complete fraud.
It has been overwhelmingly rejected by homosexuals as an actual practice in every country that allows it, and studies have shown that most such 'marriages' aren't even exclusive arrangements.
No homosexual relationship shares the reasons for government involvement in real marriage. No child is ever born as a direct result
You don't have to be able to spawn in order to marry, so that's a non issue.
David M wrote:
and no such relationship can provide a child with a father and mother. Homosexual 'marriage,' where legal, isn't even a basic building block of homosexual society, much less of society as a whole. There is no standardized format for homosexual 'marriages,' and no economically unequal genders are involved.
Why not forget about disenfranchising others in order for force your concocted, failed philosophy into law? Why not try a little live and let live?
You are so dumb. Nobody is trying to force you to marry someone of the same sex.

Santa Monica, CA

#4061 Mar 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I prefer to view it as protecting marriage, culture and civilization than harm. The plaintiff must prove their case, I don't have to prove innocence.
You feel that way because you hate gay people.
<quoted text>Marriage laws affect everyone.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Ad hominem arguments are fallacies; I don't use insults because that's not rational.
Telling people they don't deserve basic, equal human rights and that their marriages are harmful to marriage, culture and civilization is insulting.

Home, sweet home.

#4062 Mar 16, 2013
Many homosexuals don't want to marry, they are happy with marriage as one man and one woman.

If you like gays, keep marriage male/female because every gay was born of male/female union.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Manalapan, FL

#4063 Mar 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Many homosexuals don't want to marry, they are happy with marriage as one man and one woman.
If you like gays, keep marriage male/female because every gay was born of male/female union.
Brian, do you have gay friends that live in the United States?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Donald Trump is slowly teaching Republicans... 25 min TerriB1 41
News This gay Senate candidate is running in the lan... 57 min Look ma a moron 49
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 4 hr superheterodyne 18
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr lake bay boy 38,754
News Pastors Rarely Asked to Wed Same-Sex Couples 5 hr WasteWater 72
News Dozens of homes hang rainbow flags after gay co... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 2
News Lesbian pastor, United Methodist Church agree t... 7 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 12
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 8 hr who cares 15,833
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 20 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,957
More from around the web