Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,567

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3731 Mar 9, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
David M, some people are born homosexual, just ask them.
Why would a rational person care what the buy-bull condemns? It says people who work on Saturdays should be put to death.
Its "ta biblia" the books.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3732 Mar 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Why does it bother you, that Rosa Parks defended marriage as one man and one woman? When the facts aren't on their side, all they have is bullying insults.
We're still awaiting that citation....

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#3733 Mar 9, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>There's same sex throughout nature and these idiots ignore it except when it comes to humans. They are morons when it comes to science aren't they, Rose?
Guess they wouldn't be fundies if they understood science and logic.:)

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#3734 Mar 9, 2013
With the recent successes in many States, politicians are starting to see that endorsing pro-gay policies and laws is no longer political suicide. In fact, most of those who formerly opposed us and then later became our allies were able to retain their elected positions.

The era of the "moral majority" is in it's waning years as fewer and fewer extremist politicians get elected. The pandering will continue of course and we'll continue to see groups like the "Tea Party" come and go.

Along with this the extreme religious right will continue to try to exert their influence through a sort of xenophobic spectrum. They will always feel that they are under attack because they think they know they are "God's Chosen". And they will try to use this to claim they are being "victimized".

Ironically, those who believe they are "saved" really don't need to try to have power in this world and this time. They have no need to feel threatened if they are going to be resurrected with the 2nd Coming. They will be rulers in their own land and people. So the only reason these ministers are threatening a backlash now is because they lust for earthly power and don't want to wait till the final judgement.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#3735 Mar 9, 2013
nature lover wrote:
<quoted text>Perversion is a choice.
So you think about being gay, but choose to be straight instead?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3736 Mar 10, 2013
Makes sense wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think about being gay, but choose to be straight instead?
Apparently, Nature Lover just can't stop thinking about being gay.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3737 Mar 10, 2013
Keeping marriage male/female is good for blacks because gender segregated marriage supporters are freeloaders riding on the shoulders of the Freedom Riders.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#3738 Mar 10, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Keeping marriage male/female is good for blacks because gender segregated marriage supporters are freeloaders riding on the shoulders of the Freedom Riders.
..and you are just a freeloader riding on the shoulders of people with education.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3739 Mar 10, 2013
In High School you learn men and women are different. In college and graduate school, you learn they aren't.

Go figure.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3740 Mar 10, 2013
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>SS relationships have no bearing on STR8 people to continue having babies. Happens everyday. No shortage of people.
Not sure if it is total ignorance, willful stupidity, or just the promotion of irrational prejudice, but most people over 12 know by now that many gay people choose to reproduce using the same wide variety of assistance many straight couples choose to employ.

Clearly, the human race would continue, even if the impossible happened and everyone became gay.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3741 Mar 10, 2013
Rev. Dr. James Lawson is a distinguished United Methodist pastor who worked side-by-side with Dr. King training the activists who participated in the lunch counter sit-ins and the Freedom Rides of the 1960s. In 2004, he received the Community of Christ International Peace Award. Rev. Lawson said of the plight of many gay people: "Gays and lesbians have a more difficult time than we did. We had our families and our churches on our side. All too often, they have neither."

Mildred Loving: "I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. Thatís what Loving, and loving, are all about."

Rev. Peter Gomes, Harvard University Chaplain: "If society waited for majority opinion and legislative action, African-Americans, for example, would still be enduring the indignities of separate but equal accommodation and the other manifestations of legal, social, and political segregation. If the decision of the Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge is "judicial tyranny," let there be more of it...
To extend the civil right of marriage to homosexuals will neither solve nor complicate the problems already inherent in marriage, but what it will do is permit a whole class of persons, our fellow citizens under the law heretofore irrationally deprived of a civil right, both to benefit from and participate in a valuable yet vulnerable institution which in our changing society needs all the help it can get." (Boston Globe, 2/8/04)
Billy Ringo

Genoa, IL

#3742 Mar 10, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Stupidity isn't. You're stuck with it.
Oh Larry you are saying bad things I am so disappointed in you :(

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#3744 Mar 10, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if it is total ignorance, willful stupidity, or just the promotion of irrational prejudice, but most people over 12 know by now that many gay people choose to reproduce using the same wide variety of assistance many straight couples choose to employ.
They involve someone of the opposite sex. So your point issssss? One female of a female SSC uses a sperm donor to impregnate herself. A single woman does the same. Both women will raise the child while living with another woman, and be helped by that second woman. Same structure same method.

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#3745 Mar 10, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
They involve someone of the opposite sex. So your point issssss? One female of a female SSC uses a sperm donor to impregnate herself. A single woman does the same. Both women will raise the child while living with another woman, and be helped by that second woman. Same structure same method.
Go out an impregnate someone if you are so interested in procreation.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#3746 Mar 10, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Go out an impregnate someone if you are so interested in procreation.
Already did that Wastey, thanks for asking!

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3747 Mar 10, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
LOL!!! You are just so stupid. Keep posting, it makes our side look better.

Santa Cruz, CA

#3748 Mar 10, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Already did that Wastey, thanks for asking!
How did that go for you?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#3749 Mar 10, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
How did that go for you?
Hmmmm....somehow I put all the plumbing on the inside, four innies.

Santa Cruz, CA

#3750 Mar 10, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm....somehow I put all the plumbing on the inside, four innies.
Four homeruns huh?

Are you a good father?

“Battle Faith Ministries”

Since: Mar 13

Detroit, MI

#3751 Mar 10, 2013
I am a Christian, and do not support homosexuality issues on any front. I truly believe you have a right to free speech, employment and the pursuit of happiness. These are what the Creator endowed us with, He does not condone homosexuality at all. his word defines it as unnatural and an abomination to Yahweh-God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida 10 min Pope Bennie s Closet 8
Supreme Court allows gay marriage to proceed in... 20 min Otter in the Ozarks 1
Comedian Margaret Cho to headline at San Jose I... 42 min Fa-Foxy 19
With gay marriage on the horizon, Visit Tampa B... 45 min ishbu 18
Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling 51 min jinxysscrew 124
Transgender Woman Featured in New Television Ca... 57 min Pope Bennie s Closet 20
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 1 hr Pope Bennie s Closet 4,999
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 1 hr KiMerde 2,836
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 3 hr Static Charge 26,690
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr Rick in Kansas 5,455
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 4 hr NorCal Native 1,215
More from around the web