Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#3604 Mar 8, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
<quoted text>
says you.
how about if we let voters decide?
why do you think your view (in the minority at that) should prevail?
The voters did decide when they agreed to become part of the Union.

Article 4 Section 1.

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Section 2.

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

Article VI
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; .... ; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Seems to me you'd like to have all the benefits of living in our society but you don't feel you have to follow the RULES that society was based on.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3605 Mar 8, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>he who wishes to be greatest, must be servant to all.
to serve others as self is to serve all.

Happiness cannot come from hatred or anger. Nobody can say, "Today I am happy because this morning I was very angry." On the contrary, people feel uneasy and sad and say, "Today I am not happy because I lost my temper this morning." Through kindness, whether at our own level or at the national and international level, through mutual understanding and through mutual respect, we will get peace, we will get happiness, and we will get genuine satisfaction.

- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3606 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
yup, because you assume two things wrongly:
1. that marriage is fundamental right apart from procreation
2. that gays are sufficiently similar to straights in this regard.
you have assumed them for so long you have no doubt...but you should have one...
that gays do not procreate TOGETHER is a rational distinction based on a material issue as related to marriage...
citing to racial civil rights and all the TJ you want doesn't change where the rubber meets the road...
So a man with a vasectomy should not be allowed to marry then. Nor should an infertile woman.

Problem is, SCOTUS has already addressed this issue and found that marriage is not bound by procreation and vice versa.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3607 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
I love how you guys HAVE to attack the poster...
even an anonymous one you have already shown you know nothing about...
its a weak tack.....
then why are you doing it yourself right now?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3608 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
psst, I am talking about constitutional law, you are talking about nonsense jerry springer style...
dolt.
"taliban"?
yup, that's enough to ignore you as wacky...
file this under "words that come back to haunt you:":

its a weak tack.....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3609 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
don't you have something to drink?

its a weak tack.....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#3610 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
ha ha....
have you pouted enough? are we done here?

its a weak tack.....

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#3611 Mar 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Rose a gay couple can procreate.....as long as they're of the opposite sex.
Well, you are an idiot because you didn't know what I was talking about.

Santa Monica, CA

#3612 Mar 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that depends on how one defines "traditional". Perhaps "conjugal" might be a more accurate term.
Whatever, b!tch. You are just playing word games, and are dismissed.

Santa Monica, CA

#3613 Mar 8, 2013
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
The "basis" marriage does have in history that is not "bizarre" is that it is a union between a man and a woman, between male and female, between a husband and a wife.
"Throughout most of history, marriage has been about consolidating and preserving family fortunes and protecting inheritance rights" that accrue between man and woman and their progeny.
Family throughout history naturally and normally is born of male and female.
Appealing to tradition, a logical fallacy.
Frank

Clarkston, MI

#3614 Mar 8, 2013
What we need is a spaceship to take all the gays on a one way trip to the moon!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3615 Mar 8, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Exclusive country clubs were created long ago, too. Too bad for them, times have changed.
You can go to the same country club, and its coed.

Santa Monica, CA

#3616 Mar 8, 2013
nature lover wrote:
<quoted text>Why do queers expect straight people to carry the load for them? The gay lifestyle does not allow for reproduction because it goes against nature. If they want children they should leave their perverted lifestyle and marry someone of the opposite sex and have them.
LOL. Your post is so stupid, it's hard to know where to start. So, let me start at the top. You make no sense. What load? There is no such thing as a "gay lifestyle", and there is same sex sex in nature, so that doesn't go against nature. Many straight couples can't have children. They adopt. And it's a good thing.
Makes sense

Evansville, IN

#3617 Mar 8, 2013
Frank wrote:
What we need is a spaceship to take all the gays on a one way trip to the moon!
That way you can keep them all for yourself. LOL

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3618 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>
yup, because you assume two things wrongly:
1. that marriage is fundamental right apart from procreation
2. that gays are sufficiently similar to straights in this regard.
you have assumed them for so long you have no doubt...but you should have one...
that gays do not procreate TOGETHER is a rational distinction based on a material issue as related to marriage...
citing to racial civil rights and all the TJ you want doesn't change where the rubber meets the road...
Again, the court has made it clear, marriage remains a fundamental right, even when it is impossible to have sex. Inability to have sex (or procreate) is not a legitimate restriction, according to the court.

Gay couples are similarly situated in all other respects. Like some straight couples, some choose not to have children. Like some straight couples, some are infertile due to age, accident, operation, or other physical limitation. Like some straight couples, some choose to adopt or have biologically related children though assisted means.

"And where, as here, "there is no reason to believe that the disadvantaged class is different, in relevant respects" from a similarly situated class, this court may conclude that it is only irrational prejudice that motivates the challenged classification. As irrational prejudice plainly never constitutes a legitimate government interest, this court must hold that Section 3 of DOMA as applied to Plaintiffs violates the equal protection principles embodied in the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

http://docfiles.justia.com/cases/federal/dist...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3619 Mar 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You can go to the same country club, and its coed.
Were they always? I don't think so... Besides, I'm not the right religion.
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#3620 Mar 8, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
So, Doctor, your prescription is to treat the alleged symptom instead of the disease? Even if the symptom itself has not been shown to be harmful?
but the expert said ssm IS harmful and backed it up with a detail analysis of the data...

I thought you guys loved soft science as proof...

you do not fix broken laws by watering them down...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#3621 Mar 8, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>so people who don't produce children should not be legally married according to you.
Why according to me?
you said it...

and it is a simplistic view of what i said...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#3622 Mar 8, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>The voters did decide when they agreed to become part of the Union.
Article 4 Section 1.
Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.
Section 2.
The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.
Article VI
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Amendment XIV
Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; .... ; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Seems to me you'd like to have all the benefits of living in our society but you don't feel you have to follow the RULES that society was based on.
ya, we'll see if that one gets argues in any of these cases...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#3623 Mar 8, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, the court has made it clear, marriage remains a fundamental right, even when it is impossible to have sex.
yup, and they made equally clear they meant "not gays"...
you are starting with a huge win on your part and working backwards, but that huge win at the end ain't there...
face it, you were at a minimum 10 years early to the scotus and it will set you at least 50 years back...

in short, gay marriage will not be a right in your lifetime...
regardless of the number of times you quote and insist...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 2 hr neighbor 2,214
News Pride in local LGBT progress: Some of Metro Van... 2 hr The Troll Stopper 19
News Gay rights is personal for Florida gubernatoria... 3 hr The Troll Stopper 2
News Teen weighs impact of joining school gay-straig... 3 hr The Troll Stopper 7
News Danes charge imam for comparing gays to pedophi... 3 hr The Troll Stopper 6
News Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same... 3 hr Willis 1
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... (Nov '16) 3 hr Defeat Ralph Nort... 2,431
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 8 hr cpeter1313 53,715
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 hr cpeter1313 8,405
More from around the web