Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

barry

Rainsville, AL

#3361 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol God is incapable of hate because he is love. Hate itself is evil and as far from God as possible. You are being silly.
are you sure? God's word seems to have a different opinion.

Deuteronomy 16:22
Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the Lord thy God hateth.

Psalm 5:5
The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Psalm 11:5
The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Proverbs 6:16-19
These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Isaiah 61:8
For I the Lord love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering;

Jeremiah 44:4
Howbeit I sent unto you all my servants the prophets, rising early and sending them, saying, Oh, do not this abominable thing that I hate.

Hosea 9:15
All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.

Amos 5:21
I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

Zechariah 8:17
And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the Lord.

Malachi 2:16
For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts:

Revelation 2:6,15
But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

Ecclesiastes 3:8
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Amos 5:15
Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate:
Hebrews 1:9
Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3362 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>The god of the buy-bull is full of hate.
""I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel. "I hate the person who covers himself with violence," says the LORD of Armies. "Be careful not to be unfaithful." Malachi 2:16
It is also full of love. Yet you don't focus on that do you, atheist? Tell me. Can you use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God? Then your opinion on his Word is just that. Your opinion.

Location hidden

#3363 Mar 5, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>are you sure? God's word seems to have a different opinion.

Deuteronomy 16:22
Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the Lord thy God hateth.

Psalm 5:5
The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Psalm 11:5
The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Proverbs 6:16-19
These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Isaiah 61:8
For I the Lord love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering;

Jeremiah 44:4
Howbeit I sent unto you all my servants the prophets, rising early and sending them, saying, Oh, do not this abominable thing that I hate.

Hosea 9:15
All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.

Amos 5:21
I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

Zechariah 8:17
And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the Lord.

Malachi 2:16
For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts:

Revelation 2:6,15
But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

Ecclesiastes 3:8
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Amos 5:15
Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate:
Hebrews 1:9
Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness...
Lol Another atheist? Goody. Use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God. I'm waiting.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#3364 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol Another atheist? Goody. Use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God. I'm waiting.
where are you coming from?
you made a claim about God;
"01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol God is incapable of hate because he is love. Hate itself is evil and as far from God as possible. You are being silly."

i just challenged your claim from what was supposedly given to us from God.

perhaps you can make your statement in different words

Location hidden

#3365 Mar 5, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>where are you coming from?
you made a claim about God;
"01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol God is incapable of hate because he is love. Hate itself is evil and as far from God as possible. You are being silly."

i just challenged your claim from what was supposedly given to us from God.

perhaps you can make your statement in different words
Here.
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
1 John 4:7-8

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3366 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just not true!
Opponents of interracial marriage did not want the races to mix, and produce mixed race babies. The issue was not that a union of a "colored man" and a "colored woman" wasn't a marriage.
So what? Not everyone agrees a second marriage constitutes marriage.
That was weak Rosie....you can do better than that. So a widower named Brady with three boys marries a widow with three lovely girls, and your argument is that some people don't think its a marriage.....sigh

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#3367 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
An atheist is simply a person who has never heard a "claim" about any gods which they found to be convincing. Therefore, they hold no active beliefs about any gods.

The scientific method could no more be used to "disprove" the existence of a supernatural being, than it could be used to disprove the existence of turtles naturally colored like lady-bugs. We could search the world over, but never finding one would NOT mean that none exist. Such a search would be pointless to even begin.

The scientific method is used for building proofs on claims that certain things DO exist, so it would be much more appropriate for theists to use it to prove that a god exists, since they are the ones claiming that one does. This is called the "burden of proof", which means that the responsibility to prove a claim rests with the party MAKING the claim. As an atheist, I need no "proof" in order to reject a claim that I find outlandish and unbelievable. It would be up to the theist to provide proof in order to support his claim, so that it BECOMES believable.

I will say that I've never seen a scientific (or otherwise) proof that ANY supernatural agency exists whatsoever. I have seen plenty of people who believe in the supernatural DESPITE this utter lack of proof, and these same people will comfortably enjoy the fruits of science (eyeglasses, computers, medicine, deodorant) which come from proving real-world hypotheses and putting them to work for us. The scientific method augments their lives in every conceivable way, yet they are all too ready to reject it when it cannot be used to demonstrate ghosts and spirits.

It's unfortunate in today's world, that more people don't embrace rationalism and logic, while allowing the claims of supernaturalism to collect dust until any proof actually comes in. Why believe anything WITHOUT proof? Why admonish the scientific method, if proof is what you value?

Location hidden

#3368 Mar 5, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>An atheist is simply a person who has never heard a "claim" about any gods which they found to be convincing. Therefore, they hold no active beliefs about any gods.

The scientific method could no more be used to "disprove" the existence of a supernatural being, than it could be used to disprove the existence of turtles naturally colored like lady-bugs. We could search the world over, but never finding one would NOT mean that none exist. Such a search would be pointless to even begin.

The scientific method is used for building proofs on claims that certain things DO exist, so it would be much more appropriate for theists to use it to prove that a god exists, since they are the ones claiming that one does. This is called the "burden of proof", which means that the responsibility to prove a claim rests with the party MAKING the claim. As an atheist, I need no "proof" in order to reject a claim that I find outlandish and unbelievable. It would be up to the theist to provide proof in order to support his claim, so that it BECOMES believable.

I will say that I've never seen a scientific (or otherwise) proof that ANY supernatural agency exists whatsoever. I have seen plenty of people who believe in the supernatural DESPITE this utter lack of proof, and these same people will comfortably enjoy the fruits of science (eyeglasses, computers, medicine, deodorant) which come from proving real-world hypotheses and putting them to work for us. The scientific method augments their lives in every conceivable way, yet they are all too ready to reject it when it cannot be used to demonstrate ghosts and spirits.

It's unfortunate in today's world, that more people don't embrace rationalism and logic, while allowing the claims of supernaturalism to collect dust until any proof actually comes in. Why believe anything WITHOUT proof? Why admonish the scientific method, if proof is what you value?
Why claim that there is no God when you can't use the scientific method to disprove his existence? I get questioning the world around you. I even get embracing rationalism and logic. What I don't get is claiming something doesn't exist without having any definitive proof to support your claim? Why not just say "I don't know"?

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#3369 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also full of love. Yet you don't focus on that do you, atheist? Tell me. Can you use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God? Then your opinion on his Word is just that. Your opinion.
Your claim was "God doesn't hate anything". I posted a quote from they buy-bull that says god does hate something.
There is no evidence for god, so there is no reason to entertain the idea that he does.

North Hollywood, CA

#3370 Mar 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Opponents of interracial marriage did not want the races to mix, and produce mixed race babies. The issue was not that a union of a "colored man" and a "colored woman" wasn't a marriage.
<quoted text>
I take it you're about 12.
Pietro Armando wrote:
That was weak Rosie....you can do better than that. So a widower named Brady with three boys marries a widow with three lovely girls, and your argument is that some people don't think its a marriage.....sigh
LOL.
I assumed too much intelligence on your part.
I was talking about a marriage after a divorce.

North Hollywood, CA

#3371 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why claim that there is no God when you can't use the scientific method to disprove his existence? I get questioning the world around you. I even get embracing rationalism and logic. What I don't get is claiming something doesn't exist without having any definitive proof to support your claim? Why not just say "I don't know"?
I could ask you the same things about Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Location hidden

#3372 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Your claim was "God doesn't hate anything". I posted a quote from they buy-bull that says god does hate something.
There is no evidence for god, so there is no reason to entertain the idea that he does.
So why are you posting in an attempt to prove to me that he doesn't exist when you and I both know that He can neither be proven or disproven using the scientific method? Furthermore why would you quote something you don't believe in in the first place?

Location hidden

#3373 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>I could ask you the same things about Flying Spaghetti Monster.
As I already indicated, I don't worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Perhaps you would know more about him than I would. You are the one who mentioned him after all.

North Hollywood, CA

#3374 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
As I already indicated, I don't worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Perhaps you would know more about him than I would. You are the one who mentioned him after all.
Figured the point would go over your head.

North Hollywood, CA

#3375 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So why are you posting in an attempt to prove to me that he doesn't exist when you and I both know that He can neither be proven or disproven using the scientific method? Furthermore why would you quote something you don't believe in in the first place?
Since there is no evidence at all for god, there is no reason to even consider the idea he exists.
Do you get that!?
If god did exist, there would be evidence of his existence. But since there is none, we KNOW he doesn't exist. Just like I KNOW there is no elephant in my shower. If there were an elephant in my shower, there would be some evidence of one.
You have no idea what the scientific method is.

Location hidden

#3376 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Figured the point would go over your head.
I'm choosing to ignore your piss poor attempt at a low blow.

Location hidden

#3377 Mar 5, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Since there is no evidence at all for god, there is no reason to even consider the idea he exists.
Do you get that!?
If god did exist, there would be evidence of his existence. But since there is none, we KNOW he doesn't exist. Just like I KNOW there is no elephant in my shower. If there were an elephant in my shower, there would be some evidence of one.
You have no idea what the scientific method is.
Since you cannot use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God, there is no reason to consider that he doesn't exist. Do you get that?! Once again you are left with your own opinion. And, while you are certainly entitled to it, the mere fact that you have it doesn't make it necessarily correct. Thus your condemnation of all things contrary to your own personal opinion is as arrogant as it is absurd.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3378 Mar 5, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you cannot use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God, there is no reason to consider that he doesn't exist. Do you get that?! Once again you are left with your own opinion. And, while you are certainly entitled to it, the mere fact that you have it doesn't make it necessarily correct. Thus your condemnation of all things contrary to your own personal opinion is as arrogant as it is absurd.
Why should anyone believe God exists?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3379 Mar 5, 2013
While there are various explanations of natural law, one of the tenets that appears throughout the various versions, is the ethic of reciprocity and equality. That "no man require to reserve to himself any right, which he is not content should be reserved to every one of the rest".

"Every religion emphasizes human improvement, love, respect for others, sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion had more or less the same viewpoint and the same goal." The Dalai Lama

Yet treating others with respect and equality does not require any religious belief. Non-theistic ethical and philosophic systems, like Humanism and Ethical Culture, believe in equality, fairness, and respect for others.

While all belief systems have differences, all major religions, ethical systems, and philosophies agree that each person should treat others as they would themselves. Almost all of these groups have passages in their holy texts, or writings of their leaders, which promote this Ethic of Reciprocity. The most commonly known version in North America is the Golden Rule of Christianity. It is often expressed as "Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you." Or in "natural law": that "no man require to reserve to himself any right, which he is not content should be reserved to every one of the rest".

Not only is refusing to treat others as you would yourself under the law a violation of every major ethical belief system, it is a violation of the promise of equality in the founding documents and required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3380 Mar 5, 2013
Those in search of a universal biblical standard might want to consider these verses:

Matthew 7:12,: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14: The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

James 2-8 But if you keep the greatest law of all, as it is given in the holy Writings, Have love for your neighbour as for yourself, you do well:

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

Mark 12:30-31: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10:27: He answered:‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'

Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:9 The commandments,“Do not commit adultery,”“Do not murder,”“Do not steal,”“Do not covet,” and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule:“Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 John 4:21: And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

James 4-11 Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

Romans 12-10: Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Leviticus 19:18: You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:34: But the stranger that dwells with you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

John 13:34: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

John 15:17: This is my command: Love each other.

Matthew 7:1: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Luke 6:37: "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Romans 2-1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

James 4:11 Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 2 min Time again 1,746
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min Tinkerbell Bakery 34,206
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 10 min June VanDerMark 9,748
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 26 min Imprtnrd 362
News The Right Fights Wedding Cake War on Overly Nar... 1 hr Gareb 22
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Redeemed 4,056
News North Carolina fight over transgender rights, b... 1 hr Liberte 20
More from around the web