Proposed Christian law school at Trinity Western under fire because of university's anti-gay rules

Jan 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Regina Leader Post

The heads of Canada's law schools oppose Trinity Western University's attempts to star the country's first religious law school.

Comments
21 - 40 of 41 Comments Last updated Jan 20, 2013

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
I laughed at the ignorance in your post. Do you know any atheists that don't automatically assume Christian=fundie?
Dictating how people conduct their private affairs? Yup, fundie.
Happy Pills Brainwash

Cummington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

david traversa wrote:
<quoted text>If you don't know that then, what do you know? Pitiful..
Avoided another assertion again eh David? Your subversion and decadent life is really a burden upon society David. David?
Happy Pills Brainwash

Cummington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Dictating how people conduct their public affairs. Yup, regressive libtard.

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Happy Pills Brainwash wrote:
<quoted text>
Dictating how people conduct their public affairs. Yup, regressive libtard.
Reality doesn't require a political affiliation, sheep. Baa baa baa

Conservasheep.
Happy Pills Brainwash

Cummington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality doesn't require a political affiliation, sheep. Baa baa baa
Conservasheep.
Weak

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
When you`re a university with 3000 year old fossils and your science faculty has to state that all conclusions reached will subordinate themselves to a book of bronze age fables you tend to have trouble when you want to be taken seriously by the academic community.
A way to achieve accreditation particularly in US christian `schools` is to simply open a law school with a post graduate program.
Engineering is another good one which is `almost science` and popular among christian `schools`.
Newsflash:This ain't the US.
Secondly, your idiotic insistence that anyone Christian is a "Young Earth" believer is EXACTLY why there are separate universities for Christians. I'm sure they get tired of hearing the self-proclaimed intelligensia display their ignorance and stupidity repeating that same old saw over and over, ad nauseum.

The school offers undergrad programs in: Acting, Applied Linguistics, Applied Mathematics with Computer Science, Art, Biblical Studies, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Christianity and Culture, Media + Communication, Computing Science, Corporate Communications, Drama, English, Environmental Studies, European Studies, Fine Arts, General Studies, Geography, History, Humanities, Human Services, Inter-Cultural Religious Studies, International Studies, Linguistics, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Music, Natural and Applied Sciences, Nursing, Philosophy, Political Studies, Psychology, Religious Studies, Social Sciences, TESOL.
Their graduate studies include: Biblical Studies (MA); Business Administration (MBA); Counselling Psychology (MA); Interdisciplinary Humanities (MA); Leadership (MA); Linguistics (MA); Marriage and Family Therapy (MA); Nursing (M.Sc.); Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA).

In addition to the law school they want to add, they have :School of Business; School of Education; School of Human Kinetics, Sport and Leisure Management; School of Nursing; School of the Arts, Media + Culture.

In their graduate school of theological studies, they include: Christian Studies (MA), Counselling (MC), Cross-cultural Ministries (MA), Divinity (M.Div.), Applied Linguistics and Exegesis (MLE), Theological Studies (MTS), Theology (MTH), Ministry (D.Min.).

If this university was holding "3000 year old fossils" there's no way in hell it would have outranked McGill, UofT and UWO. Nor would it have outranked them if they allowed science to be subordinate to religious FUNDAMENTALISM.

You see your problem my narrow-minded friend, is your assumption that religion and science can't and don't mix, and that any religious institution MUST be fundamentalist.

While I don't agree with their anti-gay rules, as I said before, it's a private institution. It's been operating this way since 1962 when it was still a junior college. Everyone was aware of it when it was "upgraded" to a full university. So it really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that any new programs the university puts in place will have the same admission rules.

It's not like it's going to be the country's first and only law school either. Here is a list of all the law schools across Canada http://jurist.law.utoronto.ca/lawschl.htm

So, if TWU doesn't want openly gay people in their law school, there's plenty of others only too happy to take their money.

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

canada would be wise to keep the christards out

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
How is a question dictating anything? Is your reading comprehension that bad? Or is your hatred so deep it just makes you blurt out dumb-asseries?

I mean c'mon, put some friggin' substance in your posts you brainless, braying ass. At least try and use what little grey matter you have and tell us all how everyone that's a Christian is also a fundie.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
canada would be wise to keep the christards out
Well, unlike you unfortunates in the US, we don't have the issues with Christian fundamentalism up here that you guys are dealing with. So one can excuse your ignorance.
I can tell you it's a mighty small percentage up here that actually believes the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

See, what happened in the US when Freedom of Religion became a right was, after some time, everyone forgot that it also means Freedom FROM Religion. When Stephen Harper got re-elected up here with a majority, all the left-tards got themselves all worked into a lather because OMG, he was a Christian. The next thing you know, the claims were he belonged to a fundie church and the attack on women and gays would begin any day. Since then, abortion has not been touched and when some party backbencher brought up some veiled anti-gay legislation, Harper publicly announced that as far as he was concerned, the issue of gay marriage was done. It was legalized by the previous govt and it was going to remain that way.
Here's another reason why they'll never get anywhere here. Not only was prayer banned in all schools, several have quit playing the Natioanl Anthem as well because "certain" people are offended that their children had to listen to it, or "worse", learn the words and sing it. <shudder>

Nope, the fundies I'm worried about in Canada sure aren't the "Christian" ones.

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
How is a question dictating anything? Is your reading comprehension that bad? Or is your hatred so deep it just makes you blurt out dumb-asseries?
I mean c'mon, put some friggin' substance in your posts you brainless, braying ass. At least try and use what little grey matter you have and tell us all how everyone that's a Christian is also a fundie.
I WAS referring to the article. The Topic, you know? The one about the school who wants to dictate the personal lives of it's students. I have never said every xtian is a fundie. Do you always tell lies to make your point? Are lies what you consider "substance", mudslinger?

"dumb-asseries", "braying ass", "brainless"

Now THAT'S substance. The stuff of the intellectual elite. Very well thought out. Congratulations on your ability to rise above by childish intellect. You done showed me.....a haw a haw a haw

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Happy Pills Brainwash wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak
A healthy diet and regular exercise might help.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Not many people realize a Christian and a fundie are two different things
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/03/26/8510...
Christians need to publicize the differences before the fundies destroy Christianity's good reputation
This school in Canada needs to figure out whether it is Christian or Fundamentalist; and put it in neon before it is too late
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
A healthy diet and regular exercise might help.
Please don't teach trolls how to get strong and healthy
They could bunch up and attack
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wl8auHAN14c/TDX3oRd...
We The Sheepless

Cummington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
What's so healthy about homosexuality then pin dick?

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
He he. I have that same one in my downloads.

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
No chance of that. They never retain useful information.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
I WAS referring to the article. The Topic, you know? The one about the school who wants to dictate the personal lives of it's students. I have never said every xtian is a fundie. Do you always tell lies to make your point? Are lies what you consider "substance", mudslinger?
Then why bother quoting what I said? You see, you failed to include any nouns in your statement leading anyone to reasonably conclude you were responding to ME, not the article.

Secondly, how is it dictating anything when students that are applying know full well what the admission requirements are.
IF they DON'T like the admission rules, there's no shortage of other universities across the country they can attend.
Every university has rules for behaviour on campus. Are they also dictating the personal lives of their students? Are they fundie universities as well?

Since: May 11

Wickford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Newsflash:This ain't the US.
[abridged for space]
You see your problem my narrow-minded friend, is your assumption that religion and science can't and don't mix, and that any religious institution MUST be fundamentalist.
While I don't agree with their anti-gay rules, as I said before, it's a private institution. It's been operating this way since 1962 when it was still a junior college. Everyone was aware of it when it was "upgraded" to a full university. So it really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that any new programs the university puts in place will have the same admission rules.
It's not like it's going to be the country's first and only law school either. Here is a list of all the law schools across Canada http://jurist.law.utoronto.ca/lawschl.htm
So, if TWU doesn't want openly gay people in their law school, there's plenty of others only too happy to take their money.
Extract from the `Statement of Faith` which all faculty members are required to sign before commencement of employment at Trinity Western.

"2. Godís gospel is authoritatively revealed in the Scriptures.
We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavour should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises."

If you`re a lawyer then the ultimate authority is not a book of fables, the ultimate authority is statute, anyone who says otherwise should not be teaching law.

another extract from the same document:

"3. Godís gospel alone addresses our deepest need.
We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His
wrath. Only through Godís saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed."

so they are indeed young earth creationists as I originally posited, their science faculty is therefore a joke, as I originally also posited.

they teach a large number of disciplines which are `soft sciences` much like Oral Roberts and Liberty in the US as I originally stated so in other words my assessment is correct.

Canadian Universities are all unaccredited but receive their review from Macleans, TW being `private` does not so it gets its ranking from the globe and mail, it has been suspended from the Canadian Association of University teachers since October 2009 because there is no academic freedom but because it is one of the west coast `big four` it simply enjoys success by association.

Thank`s for the reply but not quite sure of what you were trying to say...my slow witted friend.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why bother quoting what I said? You see, you failed to include any nouns in your statement leading anyone to reasonably conclude you were responding to ME, not the article.
Secondly, how is it dictating anything when students that are applying know full well what the admission requirements are.
IF they DON'T like the admission rules, there's no shortage of other universities across the country they can attend.
Every university has rules for behaviour on campus. Are they also dictating the personal lives of their students? Are they fundie universities as well?
Sugar; the 'school' is being sneaky about it
If they were honest; the president of the 'university' would wear appropriate attire:
http://m0.i.pbase.com/o6/04/318004/1/73285000...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

We The Sheepless wrote:
<quoted text>
What's so healthy about homosexuality then pin dick?
We use toilet paper

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 3 min The_Box 257
Pat Robertson Blames 'God Of The Heathen' For R... 3 min Frankie Rizzo 4
Residents see Europe best for gays and lesbians... 3 min mark in Toronto 19
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 6 min RalphB 36
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 11 min DaveinMass 387
Church firing stirs up controversy over same-se... 11 min lides 47
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 12 min lides 2,941
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 21 min Wondering 22
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 42 min Before Sunrise 54,812
•••