St. Paul's Chatham to host Bishop Gen...

St. Paul's Chatham to host Bishop Gene Robinson documentary

There are 64 comments on the The Jersey Journal story from Jan 30, 2013, titled St. Paul's Chatham to host Bishop Gene Robinson documentary. In it, The Jersey Journal reports that:

In 2003, Gene Robinson became the first openly gay Episcopal priest elected as Bishop in the Diocese of New Hampshire, an act that has created controversy among the U.S. church and more conservative members of the worldwide Anglican Communion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jersey Journal.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#46 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the born child of an artificially inseminated lesbian the product of a virgin birth?
If a person has a heart attack and keels over, dead, and then the EMT arrives, puts the paddles to the chest and delivers a flash charge that successfully resuscitates the person, has this person resurrected from the dead?
Whether he blessed five loaves and two fishes and after being seated in groups of fifties and hundreds, when the five thousand were finished, twelve baskets of leftover food was collected or whether he held up and blessed seven loaves and a few fishes and when all four thousand were finished, seven baskets full of leftover food were recovered, which would have been the greater miracle ?...
That more food was collected after all had eaten than Jesus had held up and blessed and presented for them to begin with?
Or that everyone who had anything to contribute opened their hearts and generously gave of what they had for the benefit of all of the others who were there, so that all had more than enough to eat?
Brilliant and you left TA speechless....

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#47 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
"The scientific search for the origins of the universe” as follows. He says that “modern science finds itself asking precisely the same questions as those posed in earlier generations by religious thinkers. It is not a matter of another year, another decade of work, another measurement, or another theory; at this moment, it seems as though science will never be able to raise the curtain on the mystery of creation. For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peaks; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Alistar McGrath
So, the point is ?.....

That the scientist now finds himself or herself sitting among the theologians as they all are asking the same questions?

... over tea and crumpets?

This is no "bad dream." This is the correct outcome. It is the point at which all are knocking in unison, for the door to be opened.

Jesus said, "Knock and the door will be opened to you."

Do you still maintain that the door will not be opened for them, simply because the door has not been opened for YOU?

Perhaps you should try sincerely knocking on the door yourself, instead of beating on those to keep them away who would knock if you were not standing in their way.

Also, remember this: Sometimes, the door is opened swinging in so that it is easy to enter by just stepping forward into the Light.

Other times, the door is opened swinging outwards. If this is to be the case, it is because the One who is doing the opening will be standing in the doorway to see who is knocking. Then, it is both polite and wise to step back a little as the door opens so that you don't get knocked down in your brazen insistence.

Rev. Ken
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#48 Feb 8, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
There's just one of the problems of literal interpretations!
God gave us history, archaeology, paleontology, geology and astronomy all so we can learn about our home.
Why do you hate these so?
Why do you believe and trust them more than you trust God?
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#49 Feb 8, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
She made him become a member of TEC and TA went because it was close.
Now he has even distanced himself from Lawrence, I say he never was a member but her parents were.
You would be wrong. But that is not an unusual place for you to be.
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#50 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the point is ?.....
That the scientist now finds himself or herself sitting among the theologians as they all are asking the same questions?
... over tea and crumpets?
This is no "bad dream." This is the correct outcome. It is the point at which all are knocking in unison, for the door to be opened.
Jesus said, "Knock and the door will be opened to you."
Do you still maintain that the door will not be opened for them, simply because the door has not been opened for YOU?
Perhaps you should try sincerely knocking on the door yourself, instead of beating on those to keep them away who would knock if you were not standing in their way.
Also, remember this: Sometimes, the door is opened swinging in so that it is easy to enter by just stepping forward into the Light.
Other times, the door is opened swinging outwards. If this is to be the case, it is because the One who is doing the opening will be standing in the doorway to see who is knocking. Then, it is both polite and wise to step back a little as the door opens so that you don't get knocked down in your brazen insistence.
Rev. Ken
You're heretical Gnostic worldview comes shining through in this ridiculous post.

I maintain that faith is required in Jesus for the door to be opened as the snippet of Scripture you quote states. If the scientists have no faith in Jesus, the door will not be opened no matter how long and hard they knock.
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#51 Feb 8, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant and you left TA speechless....
I responded.

Location hidden

#52 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you believe and trust them more than you trust God?
Why do you persist in believing that God, in giving humans these matters to learn about, cannot be trusted?

Location hidden

#53 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
I responded.
Your response was an avoidance. You gave no answers.
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#54 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you persist in believing that God, in giving humans these matters to learn about, cannot be trusted?
Because most start with a false premise and work to justify this premise. For example, climate change. This con is being used to redistribute wealth pure and simple. Some of the scientists have been caught falsifying data.

What is to keep other scientists from doing the same to promote their atheistic beliefs.
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#55 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't like the answers so you dismiss them. You know the same way you do with Scripture when you don't like what it says.

Location hidden

#56 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
You're heretical Gnostic worldview comes shining through in this ridiculous post.
I maintain that faith is required in Jesus for the door to be opened as the snippet of Scripture you quote states. If the scientists have no faith in Jesus, the door will not be opened no matter how long and hard they knock.
LOL!!!....

No.

My quote of Jesus' words comes from the canonical Gospels.

YOU were the one who posted Dr. Alister McGrath,
who wrote, speaking of the scientist who seeks answers to the origins of Creation,

"He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peaks; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”

Scientist or theologian, or scientist AND theologian, either or both, Jesus said, "Knock and the door will be opened...."

So it will. You cannot prevent it.

Again,... He speaks to YOU!

You may not continue to stand in the way and not be a part of the Way. You have read the scripture in reference to the Scribes and Pharisees who held the keys, but refused to employ them to let the door be opened, either for themselves or for anyone else.

There are two Great Commandments. Though we don't call them as such, these are also essential to the Way: in the course of the exercise of your faith; to seek and to knock and to not obstruct.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#57 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
TA,

You did not answer this question. Instead, you gave your own excuse for distrusting some people.

Location hidden

#58 Feb 8, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what I wrote.

I asked [three] questions. You gave no answers.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#59 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with you is that your allow contradictions into your belief system. You don't even do a good job rationalizing them to yourself or anyone else.
Ever read CS LEWIS?
George

Jacksonville, FL

#60 Feb 8, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Ever read CS LEWIS?
Yes - and check out this quote from him:

"I have seen less than you but more than I wanted of this terrible problem. I will discuss your letter with those whom I think wise in Christ. This is only an interim report. First, to map out the boundaries within which all discussion must go on, I take it for certain that the physical satisfaction of homosexual desires is sin."
Think Again

Macclesfield, NC

#61 Feb 8, 2013
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - and check out this quote from him:
"I have seen less than you but more than I wanted of this terrible problem. I will discuss your letter with those whom I think wise in Christ. This is only an interim report. First, to map out the boundaries within which all discussion must go on, I take it for certain that the physical satisfaction of homosexual desires is sin."
Guess that will be it for Sel and C.S. Lewis.

Location hidden

#62 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? C. S. Lewis said and did a lot to forward the cause of humanity and Christianity. So what if he was wrong about homosexuality?

Many people have been very wrong about this for a very long time.

How right was Newton? Well,... he was pretty right. A lot righter than Aristotle, about physics and motion. But 300 years later, relativity and quantum mechanics turned out to be a better understanding. Was Newton homosexual? If so, so what?

How right was C. S. Lewis regarding homosexuality? Well,... it turns out that he and a whole lot of other people have not been right about homosexuality for a very long time. Understanding of the spectrum of human sexuality truly came to a truthful revelation only in the last half of the 20th Century and continues to improve into the present.

So what? Now we know better.

Of course, you can still hang onto the understandings of the past, if you want to. But, you will be willfully abandoning the truth which is Christ Jesus. Jesus is the truth, you know? Not my truth. Not your truth. Just truth.

Sorry, TA. You've got a problem with the words of Christ Jesus. As reported, in the renditions that you have accepted as being legitimate, he says nothing derogatory about homosexuals. Paul apparently does. But, Jesus does not.

Rev. Ken

#63 Feb 8, 2013
Think Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you have to be such a liar?

http://willvaus.blogspot.com/2012/05/c-s-lewi...

#64 Feb 8, 2013

#65 Feb 8, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 7 min Nine Ball 59,802
News Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech dis... 10 min Fa-Foxy 13
Are the mods fair and balanced? 16 min Friend of Poof1 843
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 23 min Wondering 332
News Ireland same-sex marriage 24 min Lawrence Wolf 338
News The Christian owners of a bakery found to have ... 38 min Wondering 22
News Can Rick Santorum escape his past? 41 min kuda 31
News Republic of Ireland votes for equal marriage 44 min Divine Providence 149
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 57 min Wondering 21,783
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 59 min Wondering 5,706
More from around the web