Supreme Court To Take Up Two Gay Marr...

Supreme Court To Take Up Two Gay Marriage Cases Including Prop 8

There are 21 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Dec 7, 2012, titled Supreme Court To Take Up Two Gay Marriage Cases Including Prop 8 . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

The Supreme Court will hear the challenge to California’s Prop 8 and to one case involving the Defense of Marriage Act. The decision by the court means that same-sex marriage is now about to be put to the test.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Dec 14, 2012
TomInElPaso wrote:
I sincerely doubt the court will go against the stream of progress however it is our duty to work towards a measured process with this issue. To have them issue a blanket decision that the house of cards built in part by state constitution and bigotry be blown up with an atomic bomb would be an absolute disaster for all concerned.
Keep in mind that we are in a major financial crisis and need to keep some oil on the waters of national emotion. Immediate removal of the state laws would only feed a seething discontent that could very well rip our country apart. That is not something any of us should wish for in our battle for equal rights.
We need to remove the definition of marriage from DOMA and just go about our business of change in a manner which allows for understanding and respect of those who don't yet "get it". By turning the dripping faucet into a steady trickle will get us further than blowing up the dam.
If we do so we should see a complete change by the end of this decade and we may very well end up with a raft of equal rights for all of us. Slow and steady as we go.
<quoted text>
Fair enough, and well put. I am not against it, but I won't *come hell or high water* word it as you do; you are almost as if respectful toward those who "don't get it," as you said well and accurately. I call them stupid, weak-willed and afraid, but it's much the same thing. In fact, sir, I *don't* single them out: I think humanity is so stupid, weak-willed and afraid that I'm shocked, shocked beyond words, that life on earth is not that much worse. I constantly see my own limitations; some irritate me and others, I live with. This "antigay" shit is pretty blatant, though; I detect many clues and much evidence that the antigay *THEMSELVES KNOW THEY ARE LYING* by now, but keep lying out of fear, a sense of "pride," and a refusal to pronounce themselves wrong as hell.

So I can live with the slower, steadier course if I am almost literally vicious in my assessment of it; that makes it OK enough for me to realize and to believe that I have been honest with myself, and see the *real* reasons that justice is so slow: In fact, there *is* no other reason. None.

Thank you for your post; I think it's very well done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why culture war issues like same-sex marriage a... 5 min Ted Haggard s Gos... 9
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 13 min June VanDerMark 11,314
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... 17 min pazuzu1977 11
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 26 min Rocky 15,990
News Navy names ship after gay rights advocate Harve... 45 min Aron 206
jade freak cafe 50 min Zamboni 4
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 1 hr JODECKO 73
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 1 hr Sgt Preston 26
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr lake bay boy 38,791
More from around the web