Gay marriage: Should culture have the last word?

Sep 10, 2013 Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News 8

More type makes right? The amount of ink expended recently in the Sun-News opinion section on gay marriage may cause many to believe it's the normal outcome of a legitimate sexual lifestyle.

Full Story

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#1 Sep 10, 2013
"legitimate sexual lifestyle" ?!

What a load of ignorant crap !

And as far as Jesus and marriage is concerned, Jesus was a Jew, and the Jews were polygamous at that time, and the Jews CONTINUED to practice polygamy as the normal marriage in their culture for AT LEAST the next 1,200 years. "Biblical marriage" IS polygamy.

It was the pagan Romans of Jesus' time who were monogamous.

And we have to refute and condemn this ridiculous term "gay lifestyle". As sexual orientation is an innate characteristic that CANNOT be changed, any more so than one's eye color or chirality, it is no more a "lifestyle" than being blue-eyed or left-handed.

Unless these nuts want to INSIST that I am living the "blue-eyed, right-handed lifestyle".

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#2 Sep 10, 2013
And SHOULD culture have the last word ?

NO !

The UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION should have the last word in our secular civil society because it GUARANTEES EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAW TO ALL AMERICANS.

There is NO "gay exception" in the U.S. Constitution !
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Sep 10, 2013
There is no "gay exception" in the Bible either
James 2:3> "And yee haue respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say vnto him, Sit thou here in a good place: and say to the poore, Stand thou there, or sit here vnder my footstoole:"
Effendi Bohong

Denpasar, Indonesia

#4 Sep 10, 2013
I agree with Queen Victoria, who is alleged to have said : " We don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses !"
Elsie YesSir

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Sep 11, 2013
Why should other people care how one chooses a life partner, a date, a business partner, etc.?
Jake

New York, NY

#6 Sep 11, 2013
Basically, my belief is that if two people of legal age love one another, wish to commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives, who am I to say they canít? Donít care if they are different races, different ages, or different sexes. Some say it debases the sanctity of marriage. Really? How could the fact two people are married of the same sex be more debasing than some one that marries 5 or 6 times? Or a 22 year old that marries a 75 year old, that consequently has millions of dollars? 2 gay people being married has no effect on my life, or my marriage, in any way. It cost me no money. Furthermore, banning gay marriage is not going to change sexual behavior, other than possibly promoting monogamy. My 2 cents.(By the way, I am a very conservative and devout person.)

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#7 Sep 11, 2013
Jake wrote:
Basically, my belief is that if two people of legal age love one another, wish to commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives, who am I to say they canít? Donít care if they are different races, different ages, or different sexes. Some say it debases the sanctity of marriage. Really? How could the fact two people are married of the same sex be more debasing than some one that marries 5 or 6 times? Or a 22 year old that marries a 75 year old, that consequently has millions of dollars? 2 gay people being married has no effect on my life, or my marriage, in any way. It cost me no money. Furthermore, banning gay marriage is not going to change sexual behavior, other than possibly promoting monogamy. My 2 cents.(By the way, I am a very conservative and devout person.)
Except you have too much common sense, and many people don't have any.
Jake

New York, NY

#8 Sep 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except you have too much common sense, and many people don't have any.
Sadly, that is true. I love the Christians that pointto the Bible. I ask them, "so which has more passages in the Bible, those against homosexuality, or those that tell you only god may judge mankind?" Never works, but I still do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 4 min WeTheSheeple 4,922
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min Cali Girl 2014 26,574
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min Reverend Alan 5,230
Wednesday Afternoon NE Jade Thread 10 min Zeke 3
Man........ 10 min Everyone else 1
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 23 min Rick in Kansas 1,173
Gay veterans get OK for Boston's St. Patrick's ... 23 min Fa-Foxy 23
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 1 hr NorCal Native 2,781
Trio to fight gay assault case at evidence hearing 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 19