Ugandan official: US government cuts ...

Ugandan official: US government cuts up to $6 million in aid over new anti-gay law

There are 11 comments on the Canada.com story from Mar 21, 2014, titled Ugandan official: US government cuts up to $6 million in aid over new anti-gay law. In it, Canada.com reports that:

Uganda's health minister says the government has lost up to $6 million in annual U.S. government support over the East African country's new anti-gay law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Mar 21, 2014
Why on Earth are we giving even A SINGLE CENT of the taxpayers' hard-earned money to Uganda of all places ?! It's Ridiculous ! Cut it off to ZERO ! NOW !
Fundies R Mentally Eel

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Mar 21, 2014
Uh, let me see, cows don't need hard cash, therefore six million dollars derailed is not gay.

Or something like that. I don't quite have the bovine logic down as the first cow does.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#3 Mar 21, 2014
I'm sure they'd rather starve than admit to any wrongdoing .. for a while at least .. but isn't that just like a bigot's attitude ? Sheer waste of human potential ..

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Mar 21, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
WWhy on Earth are we giving even A SINGLE CENT of the taxpayers' hard-earned money to Uganda of all places ?! It's Ridiculous ! Cut it off to ZERO ! NOW !
In

We don't agree on a whole lot of stuff, but on this we do. In fact, I'd like to see us cut way down on foreign aid, and on foreign spending.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Mar 21, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>In
We don't agree on a whole lot of stuff, but on this we do. In fact, I'd like to see us cut way down on foreign aid, and on foreign spending.
Our foreign aid is a pittance, and a majority of the aid money goes to products purchased from US companies. The money ends up lining the pockets of wealthy US-based international corporations, and the foreign citizens get a few baubles. The reason international aid is so spectacularly unsuccessful is that almost none stays in the targeted country. And even when it does, it's usually pilfered by corrupt public officials who squirrel it away off-shore. Which brings us right back to the point that it doesn't stay in the country.

A lot of the trade credits go to military suppliers. So the corrupt officials have better toys to put into the hands of their soldiers to keep down protests. But the guns aren't very nourishing for the people.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#6 Mar 21, 2014
WOW! Well as the saying goes.......'can't fix stupid'(Uganda). All they would have to do is repel that law and I bet the millions around the world would pour back in. That is really cutting the hand that feeds you!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Mar 21, 2014
Wait. First Uganda complains about the western influence and now is whining that the west has cut the money off? Pick a lane honey!

LMAO!

Since: Jan 08

Pattaya, Thailand

#8 Mar 21, 2014
"Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department, said earlier this week that the money compensated 18 senior health officials."

If that is true, then each "senior health official" received US$333,333.33.

Uganda says the money hired 87 doctors and nurses to combat AIDS; that's nearly US$70,000 each, a lot of money in a third (fourth, fifth?) world country.

In a country where AIDS is a predominantly heterosexual disease it is ironic to say the least.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 Mar 21, 2014
Let all the religious faux Christian organizations pick up the slack. They are behind this anti-gay movement.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Mar 21, 2014
Whittling away at the deficit ... one bigot at a time.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Mar 21, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Our foreign aid is a pittance, and a majority of the aid money goes to products purchased from US companies. The money ends up lining the pockets of wealthy US-based international corporations, and the foreign citizens get a few baubles. The reason international aid is so spectacularly unsuccessful is that almost none stays in the targeted country. And even when it does, it's usually pilfered by corrupt public officials who squirrel it away off-shore. Which brings us right back to the point that it doesn't stay in the country.
A lot of the trade credits go to military suppliers. So the corrupt officials have better toys to put into the hands of their soldiers to keep down protests. But the guns aren't very nourishing for the people.
We HAVE NO MONEY for foreign aid, nor anything else ! Since the federal government has been running multi-billion dollar deficits most years for DECADES, the money spent is borrowed from the Chinese, and others, and must be paid back by taxpayers, with interest !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 34 min June VanDerMark 13,077
News Hundreds rally, march for transgender rights in... 2 hr duck soup 3
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Constitution 101 24,775
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr TomInElPaso 45,145
News Trans woman in Halifax questions if prejudice i... 5 hr Tre H 5
News Is your child a "prehomosexual"? Forecasting ad... (Sep '10) 6 hr Tre H 770
News Backpedaling on same sex marriage? What did the... 10 hr Elizabeth1912 1
More from around the web