Poland's Lech Walesa escapes hate cri...

Poland's Lech Walesa escapes hate crime charge after making anti-gay remarks

There are 157 comments on the Canada.com story from Mar 13, 2013, titled Poland's Lech Walesa escapes hate crime charge after making anti-gay remarks. In it, Canada.com reports that:

This 8,997-sq-ft Tudor revival home at 1699 Matthews Ave. features seven bedrooms, seven bathrooms, six fireplaces, a coach house/garage, and old-fashioned elegance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
polski kielbasa

West Palm Beach, FL

#1 Mar 13, 2013
AbeUG, Anti Ukraine, Limpy and STD UGX are all up in arms about it. When it comes to defending the rights of flaming queens...
The Iron Dictator

Podgorica, Montenegro

#2 Mar 13, 2013
Anti Christ Jew.
Jews use Homosexaulity to destroy Traditional Marriage and LOVE of Man and Women.
rio

Bromley, UK

#6 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
I am glad Lech Walesa didn't get charged with hate crime.
There should be no hate speech or hate crimes.
The crime is in restricting free speech like Soviets & Nazis did.
Hate crimes are crimes in their selves against Free speech.
...... The Gays & Jews are trying to persecute Lech Walesa like the Jews & Pontius Pilate did to Jesus.
Free speech is alright as long as it isn't used to insult others, or stir up racial or religious hatred.

I don't think that aggressive speech should be tolerated.

Saying "I don't like this or that " is OK.

But elaborating by saying "so and so should be..." or " all so and so are that", just for the sake of arousing reaction and possibly violence should be banned.

People should take ownership of their comments. When they are OTT, they should be made accountable for them, and punished too.

I am in favour of censorship in social media too, with forum providers made responsible for the content: they have the power to ban people.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
What business is it for Government to control free speech by making it a hate crime if someone speaks their mind!?
Sure... I understand that instutions themselves would wish to prevent insults like a School or Workplace or Business themself
........ Sure..... I don't see why the Government has to control Free speech by calling it Hate speech.
..... As for Insults...... So.... If people don't like the way a person smells or looks or acts then that is okay!?
....Like... If someone says you smell bad & you have an ugly big nose.
Should that be a Government enforced hate crime!?
......If a female says to a guy "Your penis is small"
...... If a female says to a guy "Your penis is big, fat & ugly"
Like many people, you trivialise hate speech.

Hate speech is saying "All Muslims are terrorists", or "Muslims are rapist", or "We should burn the Jews", or again "Let's deport all the pakis", or "All queers are peados", or again "Queer-bashing tonigh in the high street".

That is hate crime, destined to gather support for people to take action, and to terrorise some groups in the population.

Why should people be subjected to that? Jiust for some sickos to be able to claim they can say what they want?

Most of people making offensive comment use social media for anonymity, but wouldn't repeat it in public if their identity was known. But why let these scums do that when we can ban them, stop them making racist or bigoted comments?

It's the same as people who hide their faces in demonstration and thn resort to violence. Why should we tolerate them?

THe government should make it law that social media providers should divulge the identity of hate message authors for their victims to sue them in civil courts. That has already happen, but not enough.

Google, Facebook, Twitter and else have already been forced to give some identiies. That's right in my book.
rio

Bromley, UK

#12 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
How far does this go!? It even extends to the point of calling facts as hate speech.
I mean.... Even stating that the fact that the African American IQ is 85 is often considered Hate speech.
Or... Even stating the fact that a disproportionate amount of Pedophiles are of Male on Boy molestation is some-times considered Hate speech.
...... After reading your comment.... One question comes to mind.
Are you a Jew!?.....Is it also a hate crime to say this!?
Hate speech is destined to attack a particular group or an individual, often by using insults, exagerations, rumours to do so.

Obviously posting that "the African American IQ is 85" is not innocent in itself, even if it's true, but destined to reinforce stereotypes about blacks, to ridicule them, create resentment, etc...

Most of hate speech is blatant racism, or racial hatred, or homophobia, or anti-semitism, or Islamophobia or xenophobia of some sort. Just why do it? Why people have to put up with that crap?

No, I am not Jewish , but after reading your comment, I find the question offensive in itself.
rio

Bromley, UK

#14 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it a hate crime / hate speech.
When you on your "Robespierre" account said things like
"Poland has always been a problem"
Hate crime is a crime committed on an individual or a group targeted because of a racial, religious, gender,lifestyle reason.

Assaulting an homosexual because of his lifestyle is a hate crime.

Fire-bombing a flat because its occupiers are foreigners is a hate crime.

Stabbing a man on the bus because he wears a skull cap is hate crime.

Insulting disabled people is a hate crime.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#16 Mar 13, 2013
Hate crimes? No wonder limpy is hiding in USA.
rio

Bromley, UK

#18 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.... I know your U.K has become a censorship / hatespeech capitol of Europe.
Just look at "White Racist Tram lady" being arrested jailed below for what she said in this video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fd8iYLvlQaMXX
But..."Black Racist Tram lady in the U.K" below was never jailed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
..... I hear your "Brits" say that it is about "Equal rights"
So why did they only arrest & jail the WHITE racist tram lady U.K & NOT arrest the BLACK racist tram lady in the U.K!?
Your question is the same as asking why the same crime is judged differently by different courts in the same country.

Well, it dependes of the circumstances, or the judge, etc...

I don't even know if the police was called in the instance of the black woman.

But I am glad that in UK, we start to censor seriously that kind of attitude. Who want's to get on the bus, the tram or the train and hear a tirade of racial abuses or a mouthfull of expletives by people who have prejudices?
Even if they aren't addressed at me, I find that intolerable.

People should just get on in normal life without being subjected to the tantrums of bigots.
rio

Bromley, UK

#19 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
This is ironic.... Coming from you who has an account called "Robespierre"
Which you frequently state that you support the Bolsheviks & Stalin.
..... Gee.... What is your excuse for people like Stalin & Robespierre & the Bolsheviks to lash out & terrorise some people as they did!?
....... So... What do you think Lech Walesa is more guilty of Hae crimes than Stalin!?
Stalin who killed millions!?
Vs Lech Walesa who stood up to Soviet opression in Polish Solidarity.... But... Spoke his mind here on Homosexuals here.... But.... Lech Walesa didn't harm anyone physically now did he!?
......So... Do you think Lech Walesa is more guilty of hate crimes than Stalin!?
..... Wow... Brilliant Left winger logic as always!!!
Stalin and Walesa lived in different eras, didn't they?

Walesa was supposed to have started a new democratic country, better than what it was before, and based on solidarity, social harmony, etc... and acceptable to the Western mentality.

Diatribes against gays aren't really becoming for an ex-president, who should rise above such matters, I think. Even more when there is legislation against that sort of verbal attacks as there is now in Poland.

Nobody said that Walesa isn't allowed an opinion, but there is a non-controvertial way to go about it. He let his bigotry get the best of him there, and that's damaging to his reputation.
rio

Bromley, UK

#22 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
So... Now you are changing your definition of hate crime!?
Why!? Because your statements in the past of saying "Poland has always been a problem" is some how hate a crime by your original definition of a hate crime.
So... Do you think you are guilty of hate crimes in saying "Poland has always been a problem"!?
You are guilty of hate crimes.... To the Gulag!
No, because I am stating a fact, and not insulting the Poles.
In fact, I have praised the Poles who came to Britain and I am jolly glad they did.

But the country itself has been a problem since it was recreated to punish Germany and Russia; that, there is no doubt.

Poland did cost us a world war, that I am certain. Without Poland, Stalin would not have been so eager to retake the territories lost in 1921, and propably, the NAZIs would never have come to power in Germany.

For starter, after 1920, many Germans were trapped in Poland and resented that. They were Germans, now owing allegiance to Poland. Plus, there were German territories cut off the mainland by arbitrary borders decided by the allies.

For these factors alone, I think Poland was a problem then.

Now, Poland is an problem for the EU because of the aggressive tone of its governments towards other countries, in particular Germany. Poland's demands are sometimes extravagant, its rethoric abrasive, and its diplomacy strongly lacking in charms.
Things will maybe get better, but under the Kcazinski brothers, it was terrible.
It's the Polish revenchist rethoric which is alarming, and the fact that leaders in the country attack Russia, Germany, Britain or France when they cannot get their way.

I cannot consider that as hate speech, it's just plain facts!
rio

Bromley, UK

#25 Mar 13, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
But... By your defitionin of a hate crime in your comment #9.
Woudln't this be a hate crime you are writing!?
Or not!?
How can you state a comment like this..... While calling Lech Walesa as guilty of a hate crime.
What makes you think what Lech Walesa said is much different in general in a "Hate speech" tone than you just stated!?
No, I don't do hate crime.

I don't use people race, religion or sexual choice as an insult to discriminate them.

Stiring up anomosity against gays, as I understand he did, is a hate crime for me.

It was simple for him to stay above controversy, but apparently he chose not to, and in an offensive mannar.

I don't know the exact terms he used.
rio

Bromley, UK

#28 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
But.... Poland was destroyed in the Partitions of Poland by Germany (Prussia) Russia & Austria.
A Polish majority existed from Poznan to Lwow from the time of the Partitions of Poland to WW1 to WW2.
Yet.... Despite a Polish majority in Poznan & Lwow after WW1 these areas weren't includedi n the 2nd Polish republic.
.....In Silesia the Polish majority after WW1 was treated by Germans like the KKK treated Blacks in th eU.S South.
Polish people after WW1 in Silesia were punished for being Polish, had forced Germanization, had been killed & hanged by German opression after WW1.
........ Why don't you just admit that YOU SUPPORT OPRESSION UPON POLISH PEOPLE!
Poland went off the map in 1795; for good reasons, I presume.
More than a century later, everybody had forgotten about it.

The allies (France and Britain) thought to punish Russia, German and Austria after WWI, by reviving Poland; that was a huge mistake.

That cost us the next world war: WWII.

I am for no one's oppression, but I am strongly against wars that can be avoided!
rio

Bromley, UK

#29 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin made Soviet bloc to East Germany.
Was East Germany ever a Russian territory!?
You say you stand against hate crimes!? Wow!
.... Besides Soviet Union was a new Nation.... It wasn't really the Russian empire that lost it's terrirtory.
As even Alexey stated.... Lenin had first supported the creation of Poland to help destroy the Russian empire so he could create the Soviet Union in it's place.
What all this has to do with hate crime?

You seem confused with the definition of hate crime, as we understand it in Britain.
Not forgotten

South Bound Brook, NJ

#31 Mar 14, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Poland went off the map in 1795; for good reasons, I presume.
More than a century later, everybody had forgotten about it.
The allies (France and Britain) thought to punish Russia, German and Austria after WWI, by reviving Poland; that was a huge mistake.
That cost us the next world war: WWII.
I am for no one's oppression, but I am strongly against wars that can be avoided!
Robi old boy,

Actually the Polish population in old Poland was giving the criminal GERMans and RuSSians occupying them too many headaches to deal with. It was actually the Germans and Russians who NEVER forgot about the Polish people since the Polish uprisings and undermining of the criminal GERMans and RuSSians in Polish territory were EXHAUSTING these "powerful" GERMans and RuSSians. After a while.....the GERMans and RuSSians were EXHAUSTED by the STRAINS the uprising Poles were putting on them and said..."Enough is ENOUGH" we are TOO TIRED to keep holding down the Poles so we will give them back their country in 1917.
rio

Bromley, UK

#32 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Jews that Nazis really came to power against as the main issue rather than Poland.
.... As for Germans losing land.... How much!? Very little!
Germany still had Gdansk, Wroclaw & Poznan after WW1.... Despite Germany stealing these cities from Poland in 1793!
...... There was much more Polish people living in German land than Germans living in Polish land after WW1.
..... Poznan & much of Silesia had a Polish majority after WW1....
Yet... These Polish majorities were left in Germany to be punished for being Polish or speaking Polish
... With forced Germanization forced on them.... Even... abuse... hangings & murders against them for being Polish!
.......... Besides.... A lot of Germans from the area of Poland weren't very Ethnic German.
A lot of these were Germanized Poles, Wendish Slavs & Prussian Baltics.
Yes.... The original Prussians were a Baltic tribe like Lithuanians........Before Germans stole Prussia & then stole the name Prussia.
Listen, I am not interested in the merits or demerits of Polands between the wars.

This thread is about Lech Walesa committing hate speech against homosexuals.

Nothing more. Let's stick to the subject!
rio

Bromley, UK

#35 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Poland was destroyed in 1795 for good reason!?
What reason!?
Imperialism, Greed, Opression, Mass murder, Theft & Lebensraum!?
...... For what!?
........ After Poland saved the German speaking people from Islamic Ottoman Turks in 1683 in the Battle of Vienna with Polish Jan III Sobieski & the Polish Winged Hussars.
.......... Yet.... as a thanks.. For Poland saving Germans in 1683 from Islamic Ottoman Turks.
.....By 1709 Germany with German Augustus II the strong took over Poland with funding from Jewish banker Berend Lehmann.
Which was really the first partition of Poland.
German Augustus II the strong lead to the Polish war of succession thus weakening down Poland.
So that German Prussia, German Austria & German Catherine the Great of Russia could take over Poland.
..... The Partitions of Poland just created Lebensraum for Germans.
Catherine the Great was born in Germany to German ethnic parents.
Catherine the Great allowed for millions of Germans to immigrate to Poland in the Partitions of Poland for LEBENSRAUM.
Then... Catherine the Great allowed for millions of Volga Germans to immigrate to Russia for LEBENSRAUM.
.......... So Poland was punished for saving Germans & Europe from Islamic Ottoman Turks in the Battle of Vienna!?
You wouldn't know the difference today looking at Islamic Turkish filed Berlin Germany!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8t76heuHXzsXX
..... Yet... Your priority & the priority of so much of the West seems to be supporting tolerance for Muslims, Gays & other Minorities!?
While soon enough Western Europe is heading for an Islamic take over & replacement of White Christians!?
...Very logical of Western Europe let me tell you!
But what has this to do with Lech Walesa's hate crime?

I tell you what; you Poles have an uncanny habit of derailling threads for your own propaganda.
rio

Bromley, UK

#38 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
It has to do with your hate crimes against Polish people!
By your own logic you are guilty of hate crimes against Poland!
Not my fault is you do not understand the definition of "hate crime" as it exists in English law.

There is no such thing as hate crime against a country.
I explained earlier.

You turned this in yet another bit of Polish propaganda.

You should link up with New Jersey Abe, or perhaps you are the same person. He is very controversial too...
rio

Bromley, UK

#39 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Cost us the next world war: WWII ??????????
Well... How about when in Munich agreement Britain & France supported Nazi Germany to annex Czech-Slovakia!?
Was Britain & France a Nazi Germany ally from 1938 in Munich agreement!?
Wrong thread!!
Not forgotten

South Bound Brook, NJ

#42 Mar 14, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But what has this to do with Lech Walesa's hate crime?
I tell you what; you Poles have an uncanny habit of derailling threads for your own propaganda.
Robi old boy the biggest hate nation of the last 100 years was your uSSr.

Your Stalin piece of sht white tras should have been hung up by his mustache for beatings and strappings.

Its too bad we can't bring Stalin back from the dead so that we could torture him for hundreds of hours straight. What does that say about your MosCOW vermin for GLEEFULLY hiring this psychopathinc murderer? I guess MosCOW was desperate for hiring one of its own.
rio

Bromley, UK

#43 Mar 14, 2013
Neo Szlachta wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... You state that a hate crime is even to the point of stating hatred comments that might incite people to support destruction terrorism hate & abuse can't.
Well... Gee... Sure sounds like you are supporting hatred of Poland.
Sure sounds like you are supporting for the destruction & opression of Poland & Polish people!!!
Stating historical facts or giving an opinion on events is not hate crime in English law.

You can understand that?

I gave my opinion about the revival of Poland.

I didn't incite hostility against Poles.

Do you see the difference?

Some historians and political commentators agree with me on my analyse about Poland.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 min Drunky Dizzo 34,486
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 10 min Time again 2,272
News 'Atheists, homosexuals and transgender individu... 23 min Roman Ross 20
News Bill: Florida churches don't have to do same-se... 25 min Strel 28
News Should same-sex marriage become legal? (Sep '11) 1 hr gazirah 15,316
News Showdown in Houston over LGBT nondiscrimination... (Oct '15) 1 hr Three Days 415
News The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rig... 1 hr Three Days 22
News Young, gay and male: Suicide survey spotlights ... 1 hr Roman Ross 38
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 2 hr June VanDerMark 9,830
More from around the web