Anti-bullying policies take hold in Anoka-Hennepin

Mar 3, 2013 Full story: KARE-TV Minneapolis

One year after Minnesota's largest school district settled a lawsuit over bullying, life for gay and lesbian students is getting better there.

Full Story
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 3, 2013
Good this was such a shame and embarrassment.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 3, 2013
Proof that progress is possible, even if you have to grab the responsible people by the backs of their necks and MAKE them eat their veggies.

At least a few years of kids' lives will be a bit better.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3 Mar 3, 2013
Prejudice can be overcome with information. 50 briefs in support of marriage equality have been submitted, destroying the irrational excuses offered for discrimination.

Links to PDF copies of major amicus briefs filed in support of the constitutional challenge to California's Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot measure that eliminated equal marriage rights for same-sex partners:

http://www.sfcityattorney.org/index.aspx...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Mar 4, 2013
Normally, ballot measures and other controversy that keeps gays and lesbians in the news results in more, not fewer attacks and harassment. In this district, however, I suspect it actually helped open the issue for reasonable discussion. The Minnesota ballot measure may be as responsible for the drop in bullying than any school board actions.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#5 Mar 4, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Normally, ballot measures and other controversy that keeps gays and lesbians in the news results in more, not fewer attacks and harassment. In this district, however, I suspect it actually helped open the issue for reasonable discussion. The Minnesota ballot measure may be as responsible for the drop in bullying than any school board actions.
Agreed. Though it is hard to point to any one variable as being responsible, I suspect both are involved.

"Ideology assailants report that their crimes stem from their negative beliefs and attitudes about homosexuality that they perceive other people in the community share. They see themselves as enforcing social morals." (APA)

Official school policies that specifically prohibit anti-gay bullying make the community standard clear. The previous policy tolerated anti-gay prejudice, implying the community standard supported it.

But the "social morals" are communicated not just by written policies and laws, but by community leaders, and the recent debate about voting discrimination into the law. Having those old excuses for prejudice publicly confronted and exposed as irrational, helps establish acceptance as the social moral standard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 19 min Static Charge 26,701
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 22 min KiMare 5,006
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 26 min Wondering 5,500
Apple CEO Donating to Gay Rights Campaign in South 28 min rachelgirl 15
Transgender Woman Featured in New Television Ca... 32 min Sneaky Pete 26
Black churchgoers break with leading Democrats ... (Apr '12) 34 min Brian_G 1,905
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 48 min RevKen 44
Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida 2 hr Rick in Kansas 14
TOWIE boys say Balls to Cancer by stripping NAK... 2 hr Mikey 14
More from around the web