Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Sep 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MLive.com

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Comments (Page 763)

Showing posts 15,241 - 15,260 of15,281
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Dark overlord wrote:
Im atheist. But i have no problem with gays bi lez... But i do see wher u come from in marrage terms. Why would u marry into the christian faith or any faith anyway as a gay couple? I dont see the logic as ur going to marry against that religions beliefs right? But we're a 21st century world people, is it time for things to change like this... Or are we just too insane and scared to stan up for ourselves? It appears anyone in power in these 'world leading countries' is to scared to stand up and speak out against something that has never being done and or isnt accepted.
I mean gay marrage doesnt affect me... So i dont care what happens. As long as i can still marry my fiancee then all is fine... Now the rest of u stop been homophobic. Ok :)
Additionally, many gay (LGBT) couples do not marry in any church or religion. Marriage is a civil contract, determined by the government, independent of any religion, and no religious belief is required. Churches can perform their own marriage rites, but marriage is a civil right. It does not belong to any one religion or religious group.(You, too, can get married by a judge, justice of the peace, county clerk, ship captain, etc.) Gay people can be found in all faiths as well as no faith. The only ones wanting to get married in a church are those who are already members of that faith.
frogmanin

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
No its bad for the Health
Dark overlord

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Additionally, many gay (LGBT) couples do not marry in any church or religion. Marriage is a civil contract, determined by the government, independent of any religion, and no religious belief is required. Churches can perform their own marriage rites, but marriage is a civil right. It does not belong to any one religion or religious group.(You, too, can get married by a judge, justice of the peace, county clerk, ship captain, etc.) Gay people can be found in all faiths as well as no faith. The only ones wanting to get married in a church are those who are already members of that faith.
i suppose uve taught me abit mOre thAnkks

Since: Aug 12

Huntington Woods, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

noo itz wrong and God says it in the Bible he struck a city bcuz they wer gay

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

josh-chuck norris wrote:
God says it in the Bible?

Are you kidding me?

You must be kidding me.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

josh-chuck norris wrote:
The use of the story of Sodom to label a sex act is a good example of a misinterpretation and misapplication of biblical verses to demonize and dehumanize.

"The primarily sexual meaning of the word sodomia for Christians did not evolve before the 6th century AD. Roman Emperor Justinian I, in his novels no. 77 (dating 538) and no. 141 (dating 559) amended to his Corpus iuris civilis, and declared that Sodom's sin had been specifically same-sex activities and desire for them. He also linked "famines, earthquakes, and pestilences" upon cities as being due to "such crimes", during a time of recent earthquakes and other disasters." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy

Sin of Sodom http://www.iwgonline.org/docs/sodom.html

There are about twenty references to the story of Sodom in the Bible, and none of them says homosexuality was the sin of Sodom. One of the most extensive references to Sodom is found in Ezekiel, which says,“This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.”(Ezekiel 16:49-50 (See note 5.)) It is clear from this passage (and others like it (See note 6.)) that the abomination of Sodom, according to the Old Testament prophets, was that they behaved with callous indifference toward the weak and vulnerable — the poor, orphans, widows, and strangers in their midst." http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblica...

The point of Sodom was that you should love others, not abuse them. It was about harming them instead of treating them the way you want to be treated. It was about how you treat "the stranger at the gate." It had nothing to do with loving same sex relationships based on mutual respect and love between adults.

Since: Sep 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! "People like me"..."Klansman "..."won't be a safe white woman"?
Why do gays get so hysterical?
Not being gay myself I can't speak for anyone else. However with bigots like you senseless and dangerous as you are, I could well imagine that might be the cause.

Since: Sep 10

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You too should get a room.
You too? Does that mean you already got one?

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

1st Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not being gay myself I can't speak for anyone else. However with bigots like you senseless and dangerous as you are, I could well imagine that might be the cause.
It is often difficult for those who are not harmed by laws and religious beliefs which perpetuate anti-gay prejudice, to recognize and appreciate the severity of harm caused by those anti-gay laws and scientifically unsupportable beliefs. Yet anyone with a knowledge of history should be able to realize that history, science, and law all recognize irrational prejudice and discrimination inevitably result in needless suffering and death. So if we sometimes seem a bit emotional, it is because we are still fighting for our lives here and around the world, while those against equality are only fighting to preserve the irrational prejudice they were taught as children.
toadmann

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

youtube.com/watch... …Elf Rant ,,,let it legalize now yes
Dark overlord

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Wanna hear a funny joke

God.
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Thanksgiving, you nasty A$$ fking Fa$$ot
Still focused on gay anal sex, NoIQ? Have fun with that obsession.

Robert

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you had a good thanksgiving Fa$$ot. Now get back to your favorite dessert, Shit on a Dick. By the way Roberta, gay anal sex is your reality. Enjoy
Looks like NoQ is working on his weekend fantasies early....
ken

Draycott, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

This is not an issue that should be decided by politicians. This is a matter for society as a whole and, as such, should be the subject of a referendum. Politicians haven't the right to decide, nor does any individual pressure group. If society wants it they'll vote for it. If they vote against it then that's how it should be. It really pisses me off that 650 MPs in Parliament think they have the right to decide on this.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

ken wrote:
This is not an issue that should be decided by politicians. This is a matter for society as a whole and, as such, should be the subject of a referendum. Politicians haven't the right to decide, nor does any individual pressure group. If society wants it they'll vote for it. If they vote against it then that's how it should be. It really pisses me off that 650 MPs in Parliament think they have the right to decide on this.
While equal treatment under the law may not be a requirement in the UK, it is hardly fair to allow a majority to decide on the equal rights of any minority.

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group." Coretta Scott King

Do you really want equal rights to be decided by a majority vote? Rights should apply equally to everyone. If you don't protect equal rights now, what happens if you become a minority in the future?

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
While equal treatment under the law may not be a requirement in the UK, it is hardly fair to allow a majority to decide on the equal rights of any minority.
"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group." Coretta Scott King
Do you really want equal rights to be decided by a majority vote? Rights should apply equally to everyone. If you don't protect equal rights now, what happens if you become a minority in the future?
You guys crack me up how you try to ride the backs of the real civil rights movement and make yourselves out to be a minority.
“Neither my great-grandfather, an NAACP founder, my grandfather Dr. Martin Luther King Sr., an NAACP leader, my father Rev. A. D. Williams King, nor my uncle Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. embraced the homosexual agenda that the current NAACP is attempting to label as a civil rights agenda. In the 21st century, the anti-traditional marriage community is in league with the anti-life community, and together with the NAACP and other sympathizers, they are seeking a world where homosexual marriage and abortion will supposedly set the captives free.” Dr. Alveda King

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

"In 2012, at Atlanta’s annual Martin Luther King Jr. rally, the public evolution of Bernice King shocked those in attendance.(GA Voice):
In a passionate, sermon-like speech about building unity, King said she didn’t care if people were Hindu, Buddhist, Islamist, were from the North side or the South side, were black or white, were “heterosexual or homosexual, or gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender”— that all people were needed to create unity.

LGBT people who attended the rally said they were shocked that King – who has a long anti-gay past — actually acknowledged the community in a public speech, but said they were also glad because it shows people can evolve.

As I noted in the 2004 quote, Bernice King was a congregant at Bishop Eddie Long’s New Birth Missionary Baptist Church. One cannot help but believe that that horrific scandal involving the prosperity gospel advocate had an impact on Ms. King. Long settled with four young men who accused him of being a sexual predator under the guise of ministering to them. As civil rights legend Julian Bond observed about Long in 2010:

“He said that homosexuality is worthy of death. He is a raving homophobe,” said the civil rights legend former longtime Georgia legislator.“If [the allegations] are true, it’s just sort of typical of people who are raving homophobes who are secretly homosexual. And who are homophobes because they are filled with so much self-loathing and self-hate that they’ve got to let it come out in some way, and it comes out in homophobia.”

In the wake of this, Bernice King left New Birth, and clearly, with her appearance at this year’s MLK Day, she wanted the public to see her evolution on the matter of the civil rights – and the inclusion of LGBTs in that social justice fight.

Paulina Helm-Hernandez, the LGBT honorary grand marshal for today’s march and rally, said she also was surprised to hear King’s inclusive words.

“I thought it was great. First time I’ve ever heard her say lesbian, gay, bi and trans out loud,” she said.“She said homosexual at first and then corrected herself. It takes a lot of grace to do something like that when you’re on a roll.

We have to allow for people to grow and learn, and it took courage for King to make her statement. With her declaration, we will now see if Bernice King follows the lead of her late mother, Coretta Scott King, and her late sister, Yolanda, in their advocacy of full equality for members of the LGBT community."

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com/2012/01...

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Rev. Dr. James Lawson is a distinguished United Methodist pastor who worked side-by-side with Dr. King training the activists who participated in the lunch counter sit-ins and the Freedom Rides of the 1960s. In 2004, he received the Community of Christ International Peace Award. Rev. Lawson said of the plight of many gay people: "Gays and lesbians have a more difficult time than we did. We had our families and our churches on our side. All too often, they have neither."

Rev. Peter Gomes, Harvard University Chaplain: "If society waited for majority opinion and legislative action, African-Americans, for example, would still be enduring the indignities of separate but equal accommodation and the other manifestations of legal, social, and political segregation. If the decision of the Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge is "judicial tyranny," let there be more of it...
To extend the civil right of marriage to homosexuals will neither solve nor complicate the problems already inherent in marriage, but what it will do is permit a whole class of persons, our fellow citizens under the law heretofore irrationally deprived of a civil right, both to benefit from and participate in a valuable yet vulnerable institution which in our changing society needs all the help it can get." (Boston Globe, 2/8/04)

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

"And yet while their story of oppression and injustice is not the same as ours, it is equally valid. African-Americans recognize injustice when we see it. Gays and lesbians have been incarcerated, brutalized, lobotomized, raped, castrated, and robbed of their jobs, families and children." http://www.edgeboston.com/news/politics/news/...

The Rev. Jesse Jackson, speaking in opposition to California's Proposition 8, said, "To those that believe in and fought for civil rights, that marched to end discrimination and win equality, you must not become that which you hated.... Those that support civil and human rights cannot, must not, become perpetrators of discrimination against others based upon race, religion, culture, sexual orientation."
In 2009, Julian Bond wrote, "Black people, of all people, should not oppose equality. And that is what gay marriage represents.... No people of good will should oppose marriage equality. And they should not think that civil unions are a substitute. At best, civil unions are separate but equal. And we all know separate is never equal."

John Lewis, testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the Defense of Marriage Act, remarked, "I am very happy to see the Judiciary Committee holding hearings to address the issue of marriage equality. But at the same time, I must admit I find it unbelievable that in the year 2011 there is still a need to hold hearings and debate whether or not a human being should be able to marry the one they love."

Rev. Dr. William Barber II, North Carolina NAACP chairman, declared, "They're trying to give people, based on their sexuality, a kind of second- or third-class citizenship. We know what that looks like in the NAACP, and we're calling it what it is."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, South African President Nelson Mandela, the Rev. Dr. James Lawson, National NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous - a veritable Who's Who of civil rights - all support marriage equality.

Julian Bond, who testified, "When I'm asked if gay rights are civil rights, my answer is always:'Of course they are.' Civil rights are positive legal prerogatives, the right to equal treatment before the law.... There's no one in the United States who does not, or should not, share in enjoying these rights."

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2012/mar/18/yes-...

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

By James A. Lopata :

"In the book Lost Prophet: The Life and Times of Bayard Rustin, historian John D'Emilio portrays King — even in defiance of his other advisors — as one who always backed the out homosexual Rustin.
In one poignant example of King's support, D'Emilio describes a critical moment in the planning for what would become known as the Great March on Washington of 1963 where King would deliver his immortal "I Have a Dream" speech.

The planners had just decided as a group that despite Bayard Rustin's superior activist and organizational abilities, they would not make him director of the March.

Instead, they asked A. Phillip Randolph, a man renowned for his labor activism on behalf of African-Americans — in fact, a seated statue of him in the waiting area to the Back Bay commuter and railway station in Boston commemorates his efforts as the first president of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters.

Randolph immediately said he would decline the director position unless he would be allowed to appoint his deputy, and that that deputy would be Bayard Rustin.

Rustin was a risky choice, and not just because King's advisors were uncomfortable with his homosexuality. Rustin had been convicted in 1953 of "sex perversion," which, at the time, was criminal activity known as consensual sodomy.

U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond from South Carolina, a powerful voice opposing African-American social justice work, made good fodder of Rustin’s conviction, attempting to discredit the entire Civil Rights movement on the floor of the U.S. Senate by tying it to the work of a “sexual pervert,” i.e. Rustin.

With so much at stake, it would have been easy for Randolph, King, and the other planners to simply dismiss the “sexual pervert” Rustin from any active participation.

Randolph, fully understanding the hazards, turned to Martin Luther King, Jr., and asked directly if King supported Rustin as deputy director of the important March. King said:

"I vote yes."

With those three words, even the most reluctant of the group acquiesced.

Gay people like me may not be blood relatives of Martin Luther King, Jr., but many of us count ourselves as sons and daughters in his family of justice.

Clearly, I side with Coretta Scott King in her assessment of King's support of LGBT rights. I know in my sanctified heart that King put his life at stake for social injustice everywhere.

I believe that if King were asked today if he supported gender identity expression rights, civil marriage for same-sex couples, and sexual orientation non-discrimination legislation, he would say:

"I vote yes."

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/bostons...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 15,241 - 15,260 of15,281
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••