Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Should same-sex marriage become legal?

There are 15311 comments on the MLive.com story from Sep 25, 2011, titled Should same-sex marriage become legal?. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16907 Nov 13, 2012
Sign the petition to have same-sex marriage federally recognized in the US.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/all...
verykinky

Colorado Springs, CO

#16908 Nov 14, 2012
Its sad when you realize a large portion of the human population thinks they are superior and deserve more rights just because they like the opposite sex's genitalia.

Reminds me of Kindergarten. "you don't have an e in your first name, you can't be friends with us," was a legitimate phrase said to me. All you Bible thumpers, you are but children in a sandbox that haven't learned to share.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#16909 Nov 14, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you overlooking the two Creation accounts? The first telling lacks any evidence of the "Original Sin Doctrine."
My point was about original sin and the Bible. Seems you don't have much interest in the Bible do you?
Ah yes...the old contradicting two accounts of creation argument! It's simple. For example, the first account is clearly stating an order of creation (first day, second day, etc). The second account is not.

The two stories do not contradict one another just because they omit details from the other.

So...why did you go off into creation and original sin?
Dark overlord

Milton Keynes, UK

#16910 Nov 14, 2012
Im atheist. But i have no problem with gays bi lez... But i do see wher u come from in marrage terms. Why would u marry into the christian faith or any faith anyway as a gay couple? I dont see the logic as ur going to marry against that religions beliefs right? But we're a 21st century world people, is it time for things to change like this... Or are we just too insane and scared to stan up for ourselves? It appears anyone in power in these 'world leading countries' is to scared to stand up and speak out against something that has never being done and or isnt accepted.

I mean gay marrage doesnt affect me... So i dont care what happens. As long as i can still marry my fiancee then all is fine... Now the rest of u stop been homophobic. Ok :)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16911 Nov 14, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes...the old contradicting two accounts of creation argument! It's simple. For example, the first account is clearly stating an order of creation (first day, second day, etc). The second account is not.
The two stories do not contradict one another just because they omit details from the other.
So...why did you go off into creation and original sin?
The fact is they are disparate accounts from two different tribes. They are also mutually exclusive. Do you even know which one is older?

What's more, none of this was supposed to be written down, it was a mythological story meant to be taught and followed as part of an oral tradition.

My point is that the whole concept of original sin comes from one of the two accounts. What were the people seeking? They were seeking knowledge of G-d without paying any dues. It is a mystical concept where humans seek the divine is it not? Original sin is nothing but a belief system imposed upon the myth by the early Christian Church. They destroyed the central issue by doing that which is my point.

Are you happy now?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#16913 Nov 15, 2012
Dark overlord wrote:
Im atheist. But i have no problem with gays bi lez... But i do see wher u come from in marrage terms. Why would u marry into the christian faith or any faith anyway as a gay couple? I dont see the logic as ur going to marry against that religions beliefs right? But we're a 21st century world people, is it time for things to change like this... Or are we just too insane and scared to stan up for ourselves? It appears anyone in power in these 'world leading countries' is to scared to stand up and speak out against something that has never being done and or isnt accepted.
I mean gay marrage doesnt affect me... So i dont care what happens. As long as i can still marry my fiancee then all is fine... Now the rest of u stop been homophobic. Ok :)
Your support is appreciated. However, I hope to correct what I perceive as a lack of information or acceptance of misinformation on your part, in hopes of helping you understand the current struggle more clearly.

One piece of misinformation is the belief "marriage is against that religion's beliefs." While some denominations are against marriage equality, other Christian denominations believe in treating others the way they want to be treated, and accept marriage equality. Many churches perform same sex weddings today, and others are considering it.

It also appears you may have accepted the lie often repeated by some conservative politicians and religious leaders that marriage has always been between a man and a woman. But in addition to the 8 types of marriage found in the bible, same sex couples have been getting married for at least 4,000 years dating back to the ancient Egyptians, and cave drawings and other anthropological information suggests it goes back before written history. Other same sex ceremonies have been found which include church ceremonies in various places and times. While it has never been the primary relationship in society, same sex couples can be found throughout history. It is nothing new.

Additionally, recent polls show acceptance has passed the 50% mark, and now a slim majority, like yourself, accept marriage equality here at home, while other countries demonstrate growing acceptance as well.

Hope that helps clear up some of the misinformation promoted by those who oppose marriage equality.

AOL

#16914 Nov 15, 2012
"The results of more than a century of anthropological research on households, kinship relationships, and families, across cultures and through time, provide no support whatsoever for the view that either civilization or viable social orders depend upon marriage as an exclusively heterosexual institution. Rather, anthropological research supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies." (American Anthropological Association)

AOL

#16915 Nov 15, 2012
Dark overlord wrote:
Additionally, many gay (LGBT) couples do not marry in any church or religion. Marriage is a civil contract, determined by the government, independent of any religion, and no religious belief is required. Churches can perform their own marriage rites, but marriage is a civil right. It does not belong to any one religion or religious group.(You, too, can get married by a judge, justice of the peace, county clerk, ship captain, etc.) Gay people can be found in all faiths as well as no faith. The only ones wanting to get married in a church are those who are already members of that faith.
frogmanin

Masontown, PA

#16916 Nov 15, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …
No its bad for the Health
Dark overlord

Milton Keynes, UK

#16917 Nov 16, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Additionally, many gay (LGBT) couples do not marry in any church or religion. Marriage is a civil contract, determined by the government, independent of any religion, and no religious belief is required. Churches can perform their own marriage rites, but marriage is a civil right. It does not belong to any one religion or religious group.(You, too, can get married by a judge, justice of the peace, county clerk, ship captain, etc.) Gay people can be found in all faiths as well as no faith. The only ones wanting to get married in a church are those who are already members of that faith.
i suppose uve taught me abit mOre thAnkks

Since: Aug 12

Royal Oak, MI

#16919 Nov 17, 2012
noo itz wrong and God says it in the Bible he struck a city bcuz they wer gay

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16920 Nov 17, 2012
josh-chuck norris wrote:
God says it in the Bible?

Are you kidding me?

You must be kidding me.

AOL

#16921 Nov 17, 2012
josh-chuck norris wrote:
The use of the story of Sodom to label a sex act is a good example of a misinterpretation and misapplication of biblical verses to demonize and dehumanize.

"The primarily sexual meaning of the word sodomia for Christians did not evolve before the 6th century AD. Roman Emperor Justinian I, in his novels no. 77 (dating 538) and no. 141 (dating 559) amended to his Corpus iuris civilis, and declared that Sodom's sin had been specifically same-sex activities and desire for them. He also linked "famines, earthquakes, and pestilences" upon cities as being due to "such crimes", during a time of recent earthquakes and other disasters." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy

Sin of Sodom http://www.iwgonline.org/docs/sodom.html

There are about twenty references to the story of Sodom in the Bible, and none of them says homosexuality was the sin of Sodom. One of the most extensive references to Sodom is found in Ezekiel, which says,“This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.”(Ezekiel 16:49-50 (See note 5.)) It is clear from this passage (and others like it (See note 6.)) that the abomination of Sodom, according to the Old Testament prophets, was that they behaved with callous indifference toward the weak and vulnerable — the poor, orphans, widows, and strangers in their midst." http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblica...

The point of Sodom was that you should love others, not abuse them. It was about harming them instead of treating them the way you want to be treated. It was about how you treat "the stranger at the gate." It had nothing to do with loving same sex relationships based on mutual respect and love between adults.

Since: Sep 10

Mission Viejo, CA

#16922 Nov 18, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! "People like me"..."Klansman "..."won't be a safe white woman"?
Why do gays get so hysterical?
Not being gay myself I can't speak for anyone else. However with bigots like you senseless and dangerous as you are, I could well imagine that might be the cause.

Since: Sep 10

Mission Viejo, CA

#16923 Nov 18, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You too should get a room.
You too? Does that mean you already got one?

AOL

#16924 Nov 18, 2012
1st Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not being gay myself I can't speak for anyone else. However with bigots like you senseless and dangerous as you are, I could well imagine that might be the cause.
It is often difficult for those who are not harmed by laws and religious beliefs which perpetuate anti-gay prejudice, to recognize and appreciate the severity of harm caused by those anti-gay laws and scientifically unsupportable beliefs. Yet anyone with a knowledge of history should be able to realize that history, science, and law all recognize irrational prejudice and discrimination inevitably result in needless suffering and death. So if we sometimes seem a bit emotional, it is because we are still fighting for our lives here and around the world, while those against equality are only fighting to preserve the irrational prejudice they were taught as children.
toadmann

Masontown, PA

#16925 Nov 21, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …Elf Rant ,,,let it legalize now yes
Dark overlord

Milton Keynes, UK

#16926 Nov 22, 2012
Wanna hear a funny joke

God.
Robsan5

United States

#16928 Nov 22, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Thanksgiving, you nasty A$$ fking Fa$$ot
Still focused on gay anal sex, NoIQ? Have fun with that obsession.

Robert

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16930 Nov 23, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you had a good thanksgiving Fa$$ot. Now get back to your favorite dessert, Shit on a Dick. By the way Roberta, gay anal sex is your reality. Enjoy
Looks like NoQ is working on his weekend fantasies early....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LGBT kids should be very nervous about Betsy De... 34 min Core Feminist No ... 1
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 1 hr guest 496
News 'Gay cake' appeal decided 2 hr Bubba Cooder 26
Gay oovoo (Dec '12) 3 hr Ryan Blue eyed boy 25
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 69,504
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 3 hr TRUMP WINNERS 1,857
News Walmart agrees to $7.5 million settlement in di... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 1
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr Respect71 42,770
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 8 hr lides 22,323
More from around the web