Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Should same-sex marriage become legal?

There are 15309 comments on the MLive.com story from Sep 25, 2011, titled Should same-sex marriage become legal?. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16888 Nov 11, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
i dislike the hetro public display and should be kept behind closed doors.
You dislike public display of heterosexuality like talking about a spouse or child, holding hands, or an occasional kiss? You really are a prude.

Too bad, but this and similar displays by opposite-sex and same-sex couples are going to happen. Adults who are comfortable with their own sexuality aren't offended. Only immature or sexually repressed people have a problem with discreet, casual, and ordinary displays of affection.

Don't like it? Perhaps YOU should stay behind closed doors.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#16889 Nov 11, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should your religious beliefs control the lives of other Americans who do not share your religious beliefs?
Should working on the sabbath also be illegal? Wearing polyester blends?
Good luck with your bigotry, WB. Oh, by the way, how's the training to turn your kids into little robot bigots coming along?
Robert
Come on Bobby...when did I ever say they should?

And you really should lighten up with all the hateful posts. I think you can be a better person than that.

The OC

#16890 Nov 11, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a sad, fearful, and ultimately unimportant excuse for a human being. I'd feel sorry for you if I actually gave you more than a moment of consideration.
Wow Jerry...that is some pretty hate-filled language. You and Bobby have a lot in common.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#16891 Nov 11, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
You dislike public display of heterosexuality like talking about a spouse or child, holding hands, or an occasional kiss? You really are a prude.
Too bad, but this and similar displays by opposite-sex and same-sex couples are going to happen. Adults who are comfortable with their own sexuality aren't offended. Only immature or sexually repressed people have a problem with discreet, casual, and ordinary displays of affection.
Don't like it? Perhaps YOU should stay behind closed doors.
Sadly, many who are uncomfortable with displays of affection, support and enjoy violent sports and other expressions of hate and violence. Millions are spent in support of men (or even women) beating each other to a pulp and inflicting permanent brain damage, yet they feel justified using the law to punish two people who love each other.

Celebrate love. We need more of it, not less.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16892 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Jerry...that is some pretty hate-filled language. You and Bobby have a lot in common.
"Hate-filled"? I hardly think it's that bad. But if you think so, fine.

I've never used the terms "hate speech", "hater", "hate talk" or "hate language" to describe anyone.

I find nothing wrong with calling someone out for what they are. And that person is indeed a "sad, fearful, and ultimately unimportant excuse for a human being."

If you think I am insulted by your calling my description of him "hate-filled", then you're mistaken.
Robsan5

United States

#16893 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Bobby...when did I ever say they should?
And you really should lighten up with all the hateful posts. I think you can be a better person than that.
Oh, so your religious beliefs shouldn't have any control over the lives of others? Then why are you against same-sex marriage becoming legal in all 50 states? How will same-sex marriage negatively impact your life?
Should a business owner who hates blacks be allowed to discriminate against blacks because it's against his "religion"?

Robert

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16894 Nov 11, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe God has better plans for her, maybe it was the her time to depart from this world. you cannot choose when to leave(die) the same way you cannot choose when to be born or if to be born. people die from all sorts of things and at any age, even mysterious deaths occurre with a healthy person. when its your time to go then its time. full stop. no prayers no nothing will stop death.
Possibly but still no answer. Didn't Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead. Didn't Jesus talk about when people gather and pray in the name of Jesus? Why are all these faithful Christians dying of cancer?

Location hidden

#16895 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he did affirm marriage as being between a man and a woman. Here are his words in both Matthew and Mark.
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one.(Matt 19:4-6)
But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one.(Mark 10:6-8)
Let's go back to the beginning shall we?

Genesis 1:27 So G-d created humankind in His own tzelem, in the tzelem Elohim (image of G-d) created He him; zachar (male) and nekevah (female) created He them.

G-d created male and female simultaneously right?

28 And G-d blessed them, and G-d said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Then told them to go out, screw and reproduce right?

So they did and overfilled the world.

Please tell me what the big deal is with procreation. Could it be G-d's plan to stem the human tide?

The OC

#16896 Nov 11, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so your religious beliefs shouldn't have any control over the lives of others? Then why are you against same-sex marriage becoming legal in all 50 states? How will same-sex marriage negatively impact your life?
Robert
Simple:

http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...

The OC

#16897 Nov 11, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's go back to the beginning shall we?
Genesis 1:27 So G-d created humankind in His own tzelem, in the tzelem Elohim (image of G-d) created He him; zachar (male) and nekevah (female) created He them.
G-d created male and female simultaneously right?
28 And G-d blessed them, and G-d said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Please tell me what the big deal is with procreation. Could it be G-d's plan to stem the human tide?
Say what??

Location hidden

#16898 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what??
So you don't understand the basics.

Got it.

Location hidden

#16899 Nov 11, 2012
BTW, the first version of Creation has no original sin context either.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#16901 Nov 12, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
Children in public elementary school spending all of two hours of their entire school year learning that there is more than one way to make a family, junior high school students having to spend seven whole hours devoted to learning about the diverse nature of the world they actually live in and how and why not to act violent towards it and high school students spending less than 1% of their entire school year expanding their insight into these subjects.

Oh the horror.

If that is the BEST argument you have against same sex marriage, you have NO argument against same sex marriage. Do you know why that is the case? That lesson plan is in place in a city in a state in which same sex couples cannot currently marry, so how can someone else's children getting a decent education be considered a 'consequence' of the right to marry if such teaching can occur independent of it?

The OC

#16902 Nov 13, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Children in public elementary school spending all of two hours of their entire school year learning that there is more than one way to make a family, junior high school students having to spend seven whole hours devoted to learning about the diverse nature of the world they actually live in and how and why not to act violent towards it and high school students spending less than 1% of their entire school year expanding their insight into these subjects.
Oh the horror.
If that is the BEST argument you have against same sex marriage, you have NO argument against same sex marriage. Do you know why that is the case? That lesson plan is in place in a city in a state in which same sex couples cannot currently marry, so how can someone else's children getting a decent education be considered a 'consequence' of the right to marry if such teaching can occur independent of it?
Gosh Rick...you mean you are okay with using the public school system to give other people's grade school kids homosexual acceptance training? Big shock.

The OC

#16903 Nov 13, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't understand the basics.
Got it.
You call this "the basics"?
----------

----------

Looks to me like you are just jealous of "breeders"!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#16904 Nov 13, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
Gosh Rick...you mean you are okay with using the public school system to give other people's grade school kids homosexual acceptance training? Big shock.
Cupcake, people like you are the reason it has to be. You only have yourselves to blame.

Location hidden

#16905 Nov 13, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
----------
Not jealous. Just pointing out your limited understanding of the Bible.

You disagree? You believe the world has a sustainable population?

One estimate is we are at three times the sustainable level.

http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/3_times...

Another predicts Zero Population Growth Will Occur Somewhere Between 2020 To 2029
ZPG 2020 @ 6.64 Billion
ZPG 2029 @ 6.90 Billion

Over 53,354,599 starvation deaths per year.

Each day over 30,000 children die of starvation.

http://www.overpopulation.net/

Do you think starving to death is a good thing?

Location hidden

#16906 Nov 13, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
----------
Why are you overlooking the two Creation accounts? The first telling lacks any evidence of the "Original Sin Doctrine."

My point was about original sin and the Bible. Seems you don't have much interest in the Bible do you?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#16907 Nov 13, 2012
Sign the petition to have same-sex marriage federally recognized in the US.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/all...
verykinky

Colorado Springs, CO

#16908 Nov 14, 2012
Its sad when you realize a large portion of the human population thinks they are superior and deserve more rights just because they like the opposite sex's genitalia.

Reminds me of Kindergarten. "you don't have an e in your first name, you can't be friends with us," was a legitimate phrase said to me. All you Bible thumpers, you are but children in a sandbox that haven't learned to share.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thanks BIG BOSS MAN 5 min Rudy 3
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 13 min Frankie Rizzo 25,661
News 1 step forward, 2 steps back for LBGT rights in... 18 min Captain Underpants 7
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 18 min Rose_NoHo 6,158
News Two men caned 83 times at Indonesian mosque for... 48 min Jay _ the ICON 38
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 49,440
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 1 hr June VanDerMark 13,572
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 3 hr Imprtnrd 41
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 11 hr NE Qbert 69,531
More from around the web