Should same-sex marriage become legal?

Should same-sex marriage become legal?

There are 15309 comments on the MLive.com story from Sep 25, 2011, titled Should same-sex marriage become legal?. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#16777 Nov 5, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this is an out-and-out lie.
This definition of civil marriage is a prime example of a definition that HAS CHANGED.
The definition you quoted above was added in 2008, and of course subsequently has been ruled unconstitutional by the courts, with further action possible by the US Supreme Court.
Perhaps we should go back to the previous definition of civil marriage in the California Constitution:
California Civil Code ยง4100 defined marriage as "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract, to which the consent of the parties capable of making that contract is necessary."
Under the language of the statute at the time, gender was irrelevant.
And gender remains irrelevant to civil marriage today.
There remains no rational basis for denying civil marriage due to the gender of the partners. All arguments in opposition are illogical, irrational, or based on ignorance, fear, animus, or religious superstition or myth.
Gosh Jerry...an "outright lie"? Maybe an overstatement? But here in California we have it enshrined in our Constitution. Allow me to post it once again. Here she is...the will of the people. Don't you just love democracy?

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or
recognized in California.

See for yourself:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_1

The OC

#16778 Nov 5, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
The SCOTUS will be deciding this one.
Actually Bobby you need to talk to Rick about this one. He has the inside track on this issue.

The OC

#16779 Nov 5, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
You and Rick need to let the press in on this. They are a bit behind.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16780 Nov 5, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh Jerry...an "outright lie"? Maybe an overstatement?

No, your claim was: "And speaking of definitions that have not changed one bit..."

Your claim was not merely an "overstatement." It wasn't wrong by a matter of degree or extent. It was a flat-out false statement.

Either you were wrong out of ignorance or you lied. Since you are unwilling to own up to the former, it appears that the latter is closer to the truth. You have claimed several times that the definition of civil marriage has ALWAYS included a reference to gender.

You are wrong.
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>But here in California we have it enshrined in our Constitution. Allow me to post it once again. Here she is...the will of the people. Don't you just love democracy?...
Here again you reveal either your ignorance or your continuing attempt to deceive. We don't live in a democracy; we live in a constitutional republic with guarantees of equal protection of the laws.

On over a dozen occasions, the US Supreme Court has ruled that the right to obtain a civil marriage is a fundamental right not predicated on the ability or willingness to procreate.

Fundamental rights are not subject to the vagaries of temporary voting majorities. They may only be restricted for a legitimate and compelling governmental reason.

There is no legitimate governmental reason to deny civil marriage because of the gender of the partners.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16781 Nov 6, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Rick need to let the press in on this. They are a bit behind.
Ever heard of fundamental rights?

What can be more fundamental than the right to marry the person of your choice?

Since: Sep 10

United States

#16782 Nov 6, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute. Pascal's Wager said you have nothing to lose by believing. Are you saying you have nothing to lose by not-believing?
Lots of people say you have nothing to lose by believing, so what. I said if someone doesn't believe in life after death why should it matter to them if someone says they'll spend eternity in Hell? Personally, I don't believe in eternal torment in a fiery furnace either. My God is not the cruel and vengeful God so many others believe him to be.

United States

#16783 Nov 6, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really Robert? Are you still pushing this absurd argument? It doesn't say "man cannot marry a dog" either!
Speaking of absurd, every time someone argues in favor of same sex marriage someone drags up the idea of people marrying animals, just like they always manage to say the same of homosexuality, comparing it to pedophilia, necrophilia, sex with animals and anything else they can shovel in. It does get deep after a while.
Sazaroo

Manchester, UK

#16784 Nov 6, 2012
All you bible bashing freaks saying that same sex marriage shouldn't be legal should be gagged and probed.
There's nothing f*cking wrong with two people who love each other getting married whether they be mf, mm or ww
You should be ashamed of yourselves

Location hidden

#16786 Nov 6, 2012
1st Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of people say you have nothing to lose by believing, so what. I said if someone doesn't believe in life after death why should it matter to them if someone says they'll spend eternity in Hell? Personally, I don't believe in eternal torment in a fiery furnace either. My God is not the cruel and vengeful God so many others believe him to be.
One could lose a great deal. They lose money giving it to a church, especially if the church worships a non-existent God. They loose a great deal of time doing church stuff, especially if the church stuff is aimed at a deity which doesn't exist. They may support a religious war and be killed over nothing. If God actually exists, the real God may be displeased with such behaviors. IOWs, the wager is false. There exists the very real possibility of loss.

Location hidden

#16788 Nov 6, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
My friends, God was the one to create us and He is the one there when we die. If God said it was wrong, why do we look for any other excuse? God created man to Love woman and woman to Love man, nothing more. If God wanted men to love men and woman to love woman then why can they not reproduce? My friends, no matter what anyone says, God is the Father, and He is the one who died for you. No one is born homosexual, God would not create one to be born for Hell. We are the ones to send ourselves to Hell, not God. Heaven is our home and God is there waiting for us, the key to our home is Jesus Christ. Without this key, we are to not enter our home. He is there waiting for you to let Him into your Heart, without your permision God can not enter your heart.
You have nothing to lose but much to gain.
What will you lose? A few minutes of prayer?
1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.(NIV)
It does not say you HAVE to give money, you should, because Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.(NIV)
Give from your Heart, and from His Heart you will Live.
What will you gain? Life, Love, Heaven, Peace, Happiness. John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Jesus is preparing a wonderful place for you in Heaven, why would one choose Hell over Heaven?
I have said before and now again, DO NOT let the Devil trick you into falling for the wrong and into Hell. Hell is a place of torment, burning, hate and much much worse then what I can describe. Hell was ment for the Devil and his Demons, no one else. But many men and women have fallen to the trickery of the Devil, many have chosen Satan over Jesus. Do NOT be one of those people that will fall my friends, be with Christ and you will know true Love.
You are all very beautiful men and women, created by Love for Love. Believe my friends, and you shall see the wonders of our Father in Heaven.
OK fine.

First of all, using tangible evidence other than ontological arguments, prove beyond any reasonable doubt that your God exists.

Then I'll bow down and kiss your ass.

Good luck.
Kom2

West Palm Beach, FL

#16789 Nov 6, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
OK fine.
First of all, using tangible evidence other than ontological arguments, prove beyond any reasonable doubt that your God exists.
Then I'll bow down and kiss your ass.
Good luck.
My friend, do not bow to me nor any other man. Just send one prayer to Him, just one from your heart and you shall see. I promise that you will know truth.

Location hidden

#16790 Nov 6, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, do not bow to me nor any other man. Just send one prayer to Him, just one from your heart and you shall see. I promise that you will know truth.
Ontological argument dismissed.

I'm looking for something tangible. We can all imagine various things. Give me concrete, verifiable evidence of your God's existence.
Kom2

West Palm Beach, FL

#16791 Nov 6, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Ontological argument dismissed.
I'm looking for something tangible. We can all imagine various things. Give me concrete, verifiable evidence of your God's existence.
Well my friend, I can say that you, me and the world is the proof. There is Historical proof of many things that are in the Bible. But if you want the ultimate proof, all you have to do is Pray. Its that easy, all you have to do is close your eyes and talk to God from your heart as though talking with a friend. I know that it is not much, but forget not that the universe and everyone, place and thing in it was created in only 7 days. God will prove Himself real to you my friend, just believe and you will see.
Kom2

West Palm Beach, FL

#16794 Nov 6, 2012
think about this wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering your god doesn't exist. What other agreement can you make
My friend, how do you know that He does not exist? You think He does not because you have not nor wanted to meet Him. He knows you very well, but do you know Him? There is much historical evidence to prove many things in the Bible to be true, like the Flood, King David, Jesus Christ and much more. But the ultimate proof will be up to you, all you have to do is talk to Him with your heart and as though talking to a friend. Believe first, and then you will see my friend.

Location hidden

#16795 Nov 6, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my friend, I can say that you, me and the world is the proof. There is Historical proof of many things that are in the Bible. But if you want the ultimate proof, all you have to do is Pray. Its that easy, all you have to do is close your eyes and talk to God from your heart as though talking with a friend. I know that it is not much, but forget not that the universe and everyone, place and thing in it was created in only 7 days. God will prove Himself real to you my friend, just believe and you will see.
That's an ontological argument which proves nothing. I am looking for something verifiable, measurable, and tangible.

“visit HudsonDildoEmpor ium.com”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#16797 Nov 6, 2012
As of tonight add Maine, Maryland and Washington to the growing list of states were SSM is legal.

Minnesota voter DENIED a amendment to the state constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16798 Nov 7, 2012
Kom2 wrote:
My friends, God was the one to create us and He is the one there when we die. If God said it was wrong, why do we look for any other excuse? God created man to Love woman and woman to Love man, nothing more. If God wanted men to love men and woman to love woman then why can they not reproduce? My friends, no matter what anyone says, God is the Father, and He is the one who died for you. No one is born homosexual, God would not create one to be born for Hell. We are the ones to send ourselves to Hell, not God. Heaven is our home and God is there waiting for us, the key to our home is Jesus Christ. Without this key, we are to not enter our home. He is there waiting for you to let Him into your Heart, without your permision God can not enter your heart.
You have nothing to lose but much to gain.
What will you lose? A few minutes of prayer?
1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.(NIV)
It does not say you HAVE to give money, you should, because Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.(NIV)
Give from your Heart, and from His Heart you will Live.
What will you gain? Life, Love, Heaven, Peace, Happiness. John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Jesus is preparing a wonderful place for you in Heaven, why would one choose Hell over Heaven?
I have said before and now again, DO NOT let the Devil trick you into falling for the wrong and into Hell. Hell is a place of torment, burning, hate and much much worse then what I can describe. Hell was ment for the Devil and his Demons, no one else. But many men and women have fallen to the trickery of the Devil, many have chosen Satan over Jesus. Do NOT be one of those people that will fall my friends, be with Christ and you will know true Love.
You are all very beautiful men and women, created by Love for Love. Believe my friends, and you shall see the wonders of our Father in Heaven.
Actually, a giant invisible Unicorn created the universe (see, UNIcorn = UNIverse!) and if you pray to the giant invisible Unicorn (capitalized, mind you, because she is the one true Unicorn) you will be saved from eternal damnation.

I have no proof of this but you might as well pray anyway - what have you got to lose?

Location hidden

#16799 Nov 7, 2012
Laquesha Jefferson PhD wrote:
As of tonight add Maine, Maryland and Washington to the growing list of states were SSM is legal.
Minnesota voter DENIED a amendment to the state constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.
The trajectory is on the side of justice and equality.

Baldwin Park, CA

#16800 Nov 7, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
One could lose a great deal. They lose money giving it to a church, especially if the church worships a non-existent God. They loose a great deal of time doing church stuff, especially if the church stuff is aimed at a deity which doesn't exist. They may support a religious war and be killed over nothing. If God actually exists, the real God may be displeased with such behaviors. IOWs, the wager is false. There exists the very real possibility of loss.
If that is true it's their folly and none for anyone else, and nationalism causes as much war as does anything in the name of religion. We're in the middle of such a ridiculous armed conflict now, in fact. And, like you say, if, is the key word here. Loss is relative to what one believes. If the person is content with their own assumption they lose nothing. It is a free world and we all have the right to believe as we choose. You certainly have your own thoughts, so allow others to do the same. It doesn't cost you anything.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#16801 Nov 7, 2012
Just Think wrote:
Actually, a giant invisible Unicorn created the universe (see, UNIcorn = UNIverse!) and if you pray to the giant invisible Unicorn (capitalized, mind you, because she is the one true Unicorn) you will be saved from eternal damnation.
I have no proof of this but you might as well pray anyway - what have you got to lose?
Don't be silly, the Earth was created by pan-dimensional beings as the greatest super computer ever designed, to find the answer to the single most important question in the universe. "Now that we know the answer to everything, what is the question?" It's a task millions of years in the making, a constantly evolving artificial intelligence focused on that one and only thought. Everything we see around us from the natural to the man made is the result of this search for the question and part of its programming. The species human was merely a working part of this computer, but our role has been corrupted by a planet which thoughtfully dumped their surplus population of idiots into the mix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hyper sensitive gay posters 16 min Frankie Rizzo 14
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 31 min cpeter1313 51,438
News Microphone cut after Mormon girl reveals shea s... 1 hr nomo 12
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Cue Ball 26,389
News Poll: Younger Republicans more liberal on immig... 1 hr Tommy T 5
News Nikki Haley and her son heckled during NYC gay ... 1 hr Tommy T 9
News New York's highest court welcomes first openly ... 1 hr Tommy T 5
News California AG bans state travel to Texas, 3 oth... 2 hr Rose_NoHo 80
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 2 hr TNT 69,548
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr Frindly 6,885
More from around the web