Should same-sex marriage become legal?

There are 15314 comments on the MLive.com story from Sep 25, 2011, titled Should same-sex marriage become legal?. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Between 2000 and 2005, the number of same-sex couples in the United States increased by more than 20 percent, according to the Williams Institute, a think tank concerned with laws and public policy related to sexual orientation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Robsan5

United States

#15513 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert,
Not really...unfortunately one does have to get down into the gutter sometimes.
Ken
It is never a requirement.

Robert
Robsan5

United States

#15515 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert,
1967 is quite a bit before the gay movement....hardly think the justices were thinking of that.
Marriage is not called a civil right in the Constitution, and no judge, not even 9 judges decide how I will believe. I will obey the law, but I have every right to try to overturn it. Roe v. Wade has lost considerable support since it became law.
Remember the Dred Scott decision? Shows the Supreme Court CAN be wrong.
Race and sexual orientation are not the same issue.
Ken
Are you a strict constitutionalist?
Race and sexual orientation are the same, when that is used as a basis for discrimination. Just like age, religion, creed, marital status, etc...

Robert
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15516 Aug 5, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is never a requirement.
Robert
Never claimed to be perfect.
Ken

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#15517 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay,dances..peeeing wherever is a stretch...at least be a little discreet.
Mercy! Where do you live with all this going on? Or am I way too sheltered?
What about children seeing such an act? I doubt you would say that is alright? I think it does matter.
it's pretty much the law of the land, ken... men can pee where and when they need to, and women have to go hide someplace.

um, ken... kids seeing such an act as peeing?! kids do pee. they've seen it all before and they'll see it all again.

tell me something... do you have kids? haven't they every seen you pee? didn't you ever see your dad or your mom pee? how about brothers and sisters?

good lord, you must have led a sheltered life.
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15519 Aug 5, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a strict constitutionalist?
Race and sexual orientation are the same, when that is used as a basis for discrimination. Just like age, religion, creed, marital status, etc...
Robert
Marriage has never been declared a civil right.

31 states have voted gay marriage down. Are they all wrong?

Ken
Robsan5

United States

#15520 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Never claimed to be perfect.
Ken
No, I didn't think you were. I just thought you had a better role-model to follow, that's all.
At least Kom hides his hatred and disgust very well.

Robert
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15521 Aug 5, 2012
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
it's pretty much the law of the land, ken... men can pee where and when they need to, and women have to go hide someplace.
um, ken... kids seeing such an act as peeing?! kids do pee. they've seen it all before and they'll see it all again.
tell me something... do you have kids? haven't they every seen you pee? didn't you ever see your dad or your mom pee? how about brothers and sisters?
good lord, you must have led a sheltered life.
What say we drop this topic after this?

Try exposing yourself by a school, even for nature's call, and let me know how that was received?

Don't know about you, but for modesty sake, bathroom doors were shut in my house.

Guess we are not all raised the same.

ps/I volunteer for a local police entity, and there is a misdemeanor violation code for public urination...So be aware!
Robsan5

United States

#15522 Aug 5, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has a choice just like you, when you chose to be a Queer. I chose to be straight. Normal people make the right choice. You know where that leaves you. LMFAO
Are you saying that men sexually excite you, but you "choose" not to act on that attraction?
I am a nasty ass queer because you want me to be, remember?
And, yes, you mention "ass" again. It is obvious that you are sexually attracted to men.

Robert the nasty ass queer (just for you!)

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#15523 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Ken
The SCOTUS has ruled that marriage is a fundamental right at least fourteen times. See Loving v Virginia for an example.
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15524 Aug 5, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't think you were. I just thought you had a better role-model to follow, that's all.
At least Kom hides his hatred and disgust very well.
Robert
Being a bit testy tonight, Robert.
Must say I've seen some unkind words from you as well to others.
Guess when you do it that's different?
Ken

Location hidden

#15525 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Ken
um, ken? it sure seems to have given it a good go...

'Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.'

tell me something, ken... couldn't we just as easily substitute the words 'sexual orientation' for racial in this supreme court ruling and have it make exactly as much sense? think about it.
Robsan5

United States

#15528 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a bit testy tonight, Robert.
Must say I've seen some unkind words from you as well to others.
Guess when you do it that's different?
Ken
I'm just very surprised to see so much hatred in your attacks. I don't claim to follow a higher set of rules; you do. I hold you to your word. Or does the love of Christ not apply here?

Robert

Location hidden

#15529 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
What say we drop this topic after this?
Try exposing yourself by a school, even for nature's call, and let me know how that was received?
Don't know about you, but for modesty sake, bathroom doors were shut in my house.
Guess we are not all raised the same.
ps/I volunteer for a local police entity, and there is a misdemeanor violation code for public urination...So be aware!
WHAT? AND GIVE YOU THE LAST WORD?!

the main reason that most men won't pee in public is that the sound of laughter causes them to have bashful bladder. nobody can pee when everyone is snickering about the size of their willy.
Robsan5

United States

#15530 Aug 5, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
HaHaHaHa. Can't turn your abomination on me. You're a Fa&&ot cause you choose to be, don't have anything to do with me. Maybe with whoever molested you as a child but not me. I'm glad you like the word A$$ cause it would be hard on you Queers without your A$$es huh. LMFAO
NoIQ, you said that you "chose" to be straight. I didn't "choose" to be straight; I just never found guys sexually attractive. You obviously do, but 'picked' women.
My sexual orientation was set long before I was molested.
You are the one incapable of not including the word "ass" in your posts, not me.

Robert
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15531 Aug 5, 2012
<quoted text>
um, ken? it sure seems to have given it a good go...
'Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law.'
tell me something, ken... couldn't we just as easily substitute the words 'sexual orientation' for racial in this supreme court ruling and have it make exactly as much sense? think about it.
We are not talking denial of marriage, the issue is gay marriage, remember.

Marriage is not a civil right under our Constitution.

Race and sexual orientation are separate issues as far as I'm concerned.

I will agree to disagree..I have freedom of thought still...Mayor Chicago not withstanding.
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15532 Aug 5, 2012
<quoted text>
WHAT? AND GIVE YOU THE LAST WORD?!
the main reason that most men won't pee in public is that the sound of laughter causes them to have bashful bladder. nobody can pee when everyone is snickering about the size of their willy.
Pehaps you need to start a new thread.

How is that for a compromise?
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15534 Aug 5, 2012
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just very surprised to see so much hatred in your attacks. I don't claim to follow a higher set of rules; you do. I hold you to your word. Or does the love of Christ not apply here?
Robert
Guess I am one Christian that does not turn the other cheek.

I'll go out on a limb and say that most of the posters on the left here are not exactly looking to be told about the love of Christ. Or even recognize it.

I'll leave that to the missionaries.

Ken
Ken

Walnut Creek, CA

#15535 Aug 5, 2012
AquariusNSF wrote:
<quoted text>
The SCOTUS has ruled that marriage is a fundamental right at least fourteen times. See Loving v Virginia for an example.
That was a case involving race in the 1800's....doubt the justices were thinking of same sex marriage.
ELH

Portland, OR

#15536 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a case involving race in the 1800's....doubt the justices were thinking of same sex marriage.
Loving v Virginia, 1967, happened in your lifetime.

It appears that you were not paying much attention during those years of private school education or college that you mention at least once a day. How did you parent feel about flushing their money down the toilet like that?
Supreme court of the US wrote:
Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.
Please note that isn't any mention of a gender requirement:

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival....

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#15537 Aug 5, 2012
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
The case was about marriage ... race was just a part of it because the couple was inter-racial. Of course they were not thinking of same sex marriage ... they were ruling on MARRIAGE.
If you want a case about marriage involving gay couples, look at Perry v Brown (formerly Perry v Swarzenegger). Prop H8 has been ruled unconstitutional twice now (at district court and the appeals court panel). Judge Walker's opinion is quite thorough. Check it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NE Jade - Queer POS - Nuf Said!!! 7 min Craig 9
Happy Memorial Day 9 min Craig 3
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 11 min Respect71 21,555
BIG Memorial Day Weekend PARTY 12 min BIG BOSS MAN 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 14 min Pietro Armando 201,810
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 17 min Pietro Armando 5,651
News Indiana's Anti-gay Gov. Mike Pence Passes on 20... 32 min Prosperity Fundie... 3
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 43 min lides 167
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 hr Blackburn 33,097
News Church reels after Ireland's huge 'Yes' to gay ... 9 hr Willie Boy Was Here 9
More from around the web