High court justice denies last-ditch ...

High court justice denies last-ditch motion by gay marriage opponents to halt Calif. weddings

There are 26 comments on the www.sasklifestyles.com story from Jul 2, 2013, titled High court justice denies last-ditch motion by gay marriage opponents to halt Calif. weddings. In it, www.sasklifestyles.com reports that:

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy on Sunday denied a last-ditch request from the sponsors of California's now-overturned gay marriage ban to halt the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses in America's most populous state.

Kennedy turned away the appeal with no additional comment just as San Francisco's gay pride parade was getting under way in San Francisco, where dozens of couples have gotten married since Friday and where the clerk's office was expected to issue more licenses on Sunday. Same-sex marriage opponents asked Kennedy to step in on Saturday, a day after the federal appeals court in San Francisco allowed same-sex marriages to go forward.

The opponents said the appeals court had acted about three weeks too soon when it cleared the way Friday for same-sex marriages to be legal in California for the first time in 4 1/2 years by lifting a hold it had imposed on such unions while a lawsuit challenging Proposition 8, the gay wedding ban, made its way to and through the high court.

Under Supreme Court rules, the losing side in a legal dispute has 25 days to request a rehearing. While such requests are almost never granted, the high court said that it wouldn't finalize its judgment in the case at least until after that waiting period elapsed.

Proposition 8 supporters could continue their efforts to halt gay marriage by filing their request with another Supreme Court justice. They also have another 21 days to seek a rehearing before the high court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sasklifestyles.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#1 Jul 2, 2013
not surprising. they don't have standing to ask any court for any relief in this matter at all.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 3, 2013
A really good article.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#3 Jul 3, 2013
time for Brian Brown and friends to pick up there toys and go home permanently

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jul 3, 2013
So the anti-gays will finally have to admit defeat in California, but as we've heard from NOM they're not giving up the fight completely. They'll concentrate all their efforts on getting a ban passed in Indiana while likely offering just token resistance in Oregon.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#5 Jul 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
So the anti-gays will finally have to admit defeat in California, but as we've heard from NOM they're not giving up the fight completely. They'll concentrate all their efforts on getting a ban passed in Indiana while likely offering just token resistance in Oregon.
It's funny how they're working on bans that have just recently been voted unconstitutional in other locations.
MadDog

Sunnyvale, TX

#6 Jul 3, 2013
Marriage is a Religious Union between a man and a woman.
A union between same sexes is a Sodomy-based relationship
MadDog

Sunnyvale, TX

#7 Jul 3, 2013
Butt sniffers are offensive and below all moral standards. I don't want you nasty things around me-.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#8 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
Civil weddings have nothing to do with God, nor any religion. In fact, the law PROHIBITS it. Remember that "separation of church and state" thingy ???

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
Civil marriage has nothing to do with your religious hocus-pocus.

Btw, the overwhelming majority of heteros engage in sodomy as well.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#10 Jul 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil marriage has nothing to do with your religious hocus-pocus.
Btw, the overwhelming majority of heteros engage in sodomy as well.
And I heard that they are going to officially change the spelling of "sodomy" to "FUN!"

:)
gregrog

Beaver Dam, WI

#11 Jul 3, 2013
god will judge them all
gregrog

Beaver Dam, WI

#12 Jul 3, 2013
including the judges that voted for the gays

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Jul 3, 2013
gregrog wrote:
including the judges that voted for the gays
I doubt they'll lose any sleep over how your fairytale creature judges them.
MadDog

Sunnyvale, TX

#14 Jul 3, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil weddings have nothing to do with God, nor any religion. In fact, the law PROHIBITS it. Remember that "separation of church and state" thingy ???
I agree, I never said anything about State

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#15 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, I never said anything about State
So what are you babbling about here ??? Civil marriage, which is what this case is about, is separate form religious marriage.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
Lie. Marriages are not all "religious," and marriages between gay people are every bit as religious, are based in the same love and committment as any other marriage, not just "sodomy". You aren't just a bigot, you're incredibly ignorant.

Montreal

#17 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
Actually, no it's not.

Marriage cannot be done without the government.
Marriage CAN be done without religion.

I'd like to see you try and prevent atheists from getting married.

Also, clearly men can marry men and women can marry women.
It's just pure ignorance to state otherwise.

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Jul 3, 2013
MadDog wrote:
Butt sniffers are offensive and below all moral standards. I don't want you nasty things around me-.
Nazis like you are nasty things, gay people are not. Bigots are offensive and below all moral standards. Your hate isn't morality, isn't "standards," it's just ignorance and cowardice. If you're too small-minded to deal with the reality that some people are gay, I'd suggest you'd find living in a nice cave somewhere more to your liking. Enjoy!

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Jul 3, 2013
gregrog wrote:
God will judge them all...including the judges that voted for the gays
And God will say "well done." God doesn't support hate.

If you're too much a coward to deal with the existence of people different from yourself, that's your weakness. But stop blasphemously insulting and slurring God by pretending that the Lord shares your hate. God does NOT support homophobia, and discrimination is NOT Christian.

And by the way, since you obviously know nothing about God...God FORGIVES sin, God does not "judge." Supporting equality isn't a sin, hate is, so you should be VERY grateful.

Montreal

#20 Jul 3, 2013
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>Nazis like you are nasty things, gay people are not. Bigots are offensive and below all moral standards. Your hate isn't morality, isn't "standards," it's just ignorance and cowardice. If you're too small-minded to deal with the reality that some people are gay, I'd suggest you'd find living in a nice cave somewhere more to your liking. Enjoy!
Good show!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City liable in man's brutal police beating at g... 1 min Remus 1
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min cpeter1313 53,648
News Danes charge imam for comparing gays to pedophi... 19 min Remus 1
News Organist Says Fear of Trump Future Made Him Pai... 32 min TomInElPaso 12
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 1 hr neighbor 2,199
News School district removes gay students' yearbook ... 3 hr Imprtnrd 27
News A 'radical sexual agenda' (Jun '06) 3 hr Gross 8
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 13 hr RiccardoFire 8,372
40 years ago today 14 hr SteveO 6
FuNKY ARCHIVES 14 hr SteveO 4
More from around the web