(Florida) School Board Ponders Student Group Ban That Would Block Gay-Straight Alliance

Feb 7, 2013 Full story: tampa.cbslocal.com 52

School officials in Lake County are considering banning extra-curricular activities for students, an order that would effectively keep a proposed gay-straight alliance from forming in one of its schools.

Full Story

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#23 Feb 7, 2013
snyper wrote:
College Admissions Officer:
"So, Suzie, your grades are fine but you didn't fill in the extracurricular portion. I'm sure you read in our admissions package that we give weight to non-academic activities in evaluating candidates for admission to our College. What's up with that?"
Suzie:
"My school didn't allow extracurricular activities. They banned them to prevent LGBT kids from forming a gay-straight alliance."
Well student we don't want you here in our university ... you obviously grew up in a land of bigot christards and we don't want your kind here...

LOL

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#25 Feb 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Well if it bans religious groups as well, then it might be worth it.....
That is the way they wanted it and this is its unintended consequences.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26 Feb 7, 2013

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#29 Feb 8, 2013
If they cut out all clubs to prevent the GSA then I think they'd have to cut out football and cheerleading too. I believe the Nassau County School Board thought of this tactic when trying to prevent the Gay Straight Alliance years ago at Yulee High School in Yulee, Florida but realized they may have to cut football and cheerleading out and they knew that wasn't going to fly with parents to cut those two things out.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#33 Feb 8, 2013
It never ceases to amaze me how the 'groups' that are most vocal for equality and inclusion are the first ones to call for exclusive groups. Make no mistake: the GSA will not attract mainstream, heterosexual students. It will become a predominately LGBT club. On the surface, it seems very progressive and enlightened, but at the end of the day, it will be nothing more than a divisive influence in the school. Public schools are not there to promote religious or lifestyle choices; they exist the educate students academically. The concept that schools should be microcosms of universal social acceptance is a fantasy that is flawed on many levels. Here's a clue, folks: LIFE AIN'T FAIR. Some people will not like you, whether it's your skin color, your religion, your sexual preference, etc. Learn to live with it and stop trying to foist your preference on those that do not agree with you.

How about this: Straight people don't run around proclaiming their sexual orientation- how about gays do the same? No one- except for a fringe element of ignorant people- give a crap who you are attracted to.
TheTroll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#34 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
LIFE AIN'T FAIR. Some people will not like you, whether it's your skin color, your religion, your sexual preference, etc. Learn to live with it and stop trying to foist your preference on those that do not agree with you.
Well on those grounds, I suppose blacks should've just learned to live with Jim Crow, huh? How nice of you to display your self-centered lack of empathy for all to see.
Charles R Darwin wrote:
How about this: Straight people don't run around proclaiming their sexual orientation-
Oh, so you don't count men having pictures of their wives in their office or telling their friends such things as "my wife and I are going out for dinner" or "it's a present for my girlfriend" as "proclaiming their sexual orientation", huh?

You righties have no self-awareness at all.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Tawas City, Michigan

#35 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how the 'groups' that are most vocal for equality and inclusion are the first ones to call for exclusive groups. Make no mistake: the GSA will not attract mainstream, heterosexual students. It will become a predominately LGBT club. On the surface, it seems very progressive and enlightened, but at the end of the day, it will be nothing more than a divisive influence in the school. Public schools are not there to promote religious or lifestyle choices; they exist the educate students academically. The concept that schools should be microcosms of universal social acceptance is a fantasy that is flawed on many levels. Here's a clue, folks: LIFE AIN'T FAIR. Some people will not like you, whether it's your skin color, your religion, your sexual preference, etc. Learn to live with it and stop trying to foist your preference on those that do not agree with you.
How about this: Straight people don't run around proclaiming their sexual orientation- how about gays do the same? No one- except for a fringe element of ignorant people- give a crap who you are attracted to.
Right, because we never see straight people holding hands or making out in public or bragging about what chick they banged last nite.

Location hidden

#36 Feb 8, 2013
TheTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Well on those grounds, I suppose blacks should've just learned to live with Jim Crow, huh? How nice of you to display your self-centered lack of empathy for all to see.
<quoted text>
Oh, so you don't count men having pictures of their wives in their office or telling their friends such things as "my wife and I are going out for dinner" or "it's a present for my girlfriend" as "proclaiming their sexual orientation", huh?
You righties have no self-awareness at all.
I'm not 'right' or 'left'. I don't judge people as you apparently do. I laugh when people like you proclaim your 'progressive' attitude out of one side of your mouth, and ignorantly bash anyone who disagrees out of the other. I made no disparaging remarks- I only pointed out that the LGBT 'quest for acceptance and equality' only serves to alienate people who otherwise do not care either way. I don't care if your are gay or straight. I really don't. I don't care if you have a picture of your partner on your desk. I don't care when and where you choose to dine. In my fallible, human way, I will judge you as a decent person or a jerk; but I can assure you that your sexual orientation does not play into that assessment- unless you cause it to be a factor. Unfortunately, you ARE causing it to be a factor. Your misguided attempt at a comparison with the ignorant treatment of black people (in the past) is an insult.

I guarantee you that 90% of people feel as I do; just live your life, be happy, and enjoy the things that we all have in common. STOP with the 'I'm gay and you HAVE to accept me' attitude. The only people who would care are not the type of people you'd want to be around, anyway. So why waste your time and energy trying to change their minds?

this one

#37 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how the 'groups' that are most vocal for equality and inclusion are the first ones to call for exclusive groups. Make no mistake: the GSA will not attract mainstream, heterosexual students. It will become a predominately LGBT club. On the surface, it seems very progressive and enlightened, but at the end of the day, it will be nothing more than a divisive influence in the school. Public schools are not there to promote religious or lifestyle choices; they exist the educate students academically. The concept that schools should be microcosms of universal social acceptance is a fantasy that is flawed on many levels.
We are talking extra-curricular activities here, not classroom time. Under the law, schools can be made available to any group of students wanting to meet together for their own benefit and hopefully for the benefit of the school as a whole. If a school is open to any such group, it must be open to all such groups. As long as what the students want to do isn't illegal, you won't be seeing young beer makers clubs in schools any time soon, the school may not legally prohibit any such group. The proposed GSA may very well end up primarily a group of LGBT students, but that does not matter, as long as they admit all straight kids who do apply.
Charles R Darwin wrote:
Here's a clue, folks: LIFE AIN'T FAIR. Some people will not like you, whether it's your skin color, your religion, your sexual preference, etc. Learn to live with it and stop trying to foist your preference on those that do not agree with you.
Dear, we gay folk have grown up being handed the sh*tty end of the stick by those folk who don't agree with us, we know that life ain't fair, sometimes it's downright mean, but that doesn't mean that we have to surrender to your worst instincts. When life being not fair becomes official policy to punish kids because you the alleged adult don't agree with them, that is crossing a line that shouldn't go without denouncement, by everybody. The alleged adults on this School Board are seriously considering cancelling every other student program offered at the school, for no other reason than they disagree with a gay kid's right to have a group at the school he goes to and you imagine that we should be cool with that because life isn't fair? You're kidding, right?
Charles R Darwin wrote:
Oh God, the irony.

Sweetie, you can't possibly be that dense. Are you not openly heterosexual in your life? Has anyone just assumed you weren't? We "run around proclaiming (our) sexual orientation", because there are so many folk who think we're straight when we're not doing those perverted things that they don't want to imagine but talk about incessantly. Some of you straight folk just need to be reminded that we are still gay when fully clothed.

Tawas City, Michigan

#38 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
I guarantee you that 90% of people feel as I do; just live your life, be happy, and enjoy the things that we all have in common. STOP with the 'I'm gay and you HAVE to accept me' attitude. The only people who would care are not the type of people you'd want to be around, anyway. So why waste your time and energy trying to change their minds?
Because it's not a waste of time & energy. The majority of people used to oppose any rights whatsoever for gays & lesbians. It was only when we stood up for yourselves and stopped hiding in the closet that we started getting any respect and equal treatment.

Once people realized they had a family member or close friend or neighbor or coworker who was gay or lesbian, that is when we started changing minds.

Why should we settle for anything less than equal rights just because it might make a few people uncomfortable?
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#39 Feb 8, 2013
"Once people realized they had a family member or close friend or neighbor or coworker who was gay or lesbian, that is when we started changing minds."

I think that is some of it. I think a lot more of it is just "WTF, who cares!"

The younger people I work with can't understand why people make such a big deal about it.

When I was growing up in the late 60's and 70's, it just wasn't discussed outside of some cryptic remarks the parents would make about Rip Taylor appearing on kids TV shows...

I didn't even know what a homosexual, not really, until I was a teenager at least. Today's kids have grown up with it being just another part of the landscape and nothing to get torqued about (except the bigots and bullies of course).

The tide has turned. In 20 years we won't be having these arguments.

Location hidden

#40 Feb 8, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>We are talking extra-curricular activities here, not classroom time. Under the law, schools can be made available to any group of students wanting to meet together for their own benefit and hopefully for the benefit of the school as a whole. If a school is open to any such group, it must be open to all such groups. As long as what the students want to do isn't illegal, you won't be seeing young beer makers clubs in schools any time soon, the school may not legally prohibit any such group. The proposed GSA may very well end up primarily a group of LGBT students, but that does not matter, as long as they admit all straight kids who do apply. <quoted text> Dear, we gay folk have grown up being handed the sh*tty end of the stick by those folk who don't agree with us, we know that life ain't fair, sometimes it's downright mean, but that doesn't mean that we have to surrender to your worst instincts. When life being not fair becomes official policy to punish kids because you the alleged adult don't agree with them, that is crossing a line that shouldn't go without denouncement, by everybody. The alleged adults on this School Board are seriously considering cancelling every other student program offered at the school, for no other reason than they disagree with a gay kid's right to have a group at the school he goes to and you imagine that we should be cool with that because life isn't fair? You're kidding, right?
<quoted text>Oh God, the irony.
Sweetie, you can't possibly be that dense. Are you not openly heterosexual in your life? Has anyone just assumed you weren't? We "run around proclaiming (our) sexual orientation", because there are so many folk who think we're straight when we're not doing those perverted things that they don't want to imagine but talk about incessantly. Some of you straight folk just need to be reminded that we are still gay when fully clothed.
I don't advertise my sexual orientation, nor do I take specific note of anyone else's, unless there are overt symbols. I don't wear the heterosexual equivalent to rainbow ribbons, I don't affix rainbow bumper stickers or the '=' sign to my car. I don't need to be 'reminded' of anything. I care about you for the person you are, and sexuality has NOTHING to do with it. You are the one hung up on how people perceive you, and I have to wonder why.

I am what you are fighting for. I am far past 'tolerant' and 'accepting'. I just see you as a human being. Isn't that what you really want? Not just to have your sexual orientation 'accepted'; but for it to no longer be a factor in how others 'judge' you?

Tawas City, Michigan

#41 Feb 8, 2013
Strel wrote:
"Once people realized they had a family member or close friend or neighbor or coworker who was gay or lesbian, that is when we started changing minds."
I think that is some of it. I think a lot more of it is just "WTF, who cares!"
The younger people I work with can't understand why people make such a big deal about it.
When I was growing up in the late 60's and 70's, it just wasn't discussed outside of some cryptic remarks the parents would make about Rip Taylor appearing on kids TV shows...
I didn't even know what a homosexual, not really, until I was a teenager at least. Today's kids have grown up with it being just another part of the landscape and nothing to get torqued about (except the bigots and bullies of course).
The tide has turned. In 20 years we won't be having these arguments.
That's almost entirely due to the fact most gays are no longer closeted.

this one

#42 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
I don't advertise my sexual orientation, nor do I take specific note of anyone else's, unless there are overt symbols. I don't wear the heterosexual equivalent to rainbow ribbons, I don't affix rainbow bumper stickers or the '=' sign to my car. I don't need to be 'reminded' of anything. I care about you for the person you are, and sexuality has NOTHING to do with it. You are the one hung up on how people perceive you, and I have to wonder why.
I am what you are fighting for. I am far past 'tolerant' and 'accepting'. I just see you as a human being. Isn't that what you really want? Not just to have your sexual orientation 'accepted'; but for it to no longer be a factor in how others 'judge' you?
So you are honestly telling me that no one who knows you has any idea if you are heterosexual or not because you are not openly heterosexual? Closet heterosexuality? Seriously?

The point I am trying to make is that what you are actually witnessing is some seriously righteous anger at all the ignorance and hate that is still being foisted on yet another generation of LGBT people.

Tawas City, Michigan

#43 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you have moved past tolerance and acceptance right into denial of the fact that gays & lesbians still face institutionalized discrimination.

Are we just supposed to pretend it doesn't matter that we can't marry in all states or that our marriages don't have the same legal protections as all other marriages?

Are we just supposed to pretend that gay kids aren't targeted for bullying & harassment?

Are we just supposed to pretend that gays & lesbians aren't still being fired or kicked out of their homes just because they're gay?

Sexuality is an integral part of ALL humans, gay or straight.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#44 Feb 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's almost entirely due to the fact most gays are no longer closeted.
Well I think it is about time the rest of us acknowledged that you exist, and that your existence isn't going to cause the end of the Universe. In fact, it's nothing to get wound up about at all.

This is what bothers me most about the anti-gay bigots. They can't just sit in their basements and entertain unpleasant thoughts, they have to go out and make life for gays difficult.

It seems to me just mean spirited and hateful. They act as if they are defending something, but what they are really doing is just pure offense, in every sense of the word - because the gays dared to have their existence and rights publicly acknowledged.

Location hidden

#47 Feb 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you have moved past tolerance and acceptance right into denial of the fact that gays & lesbians still face institutionalized discrimination.
Are we just supposed to pretend it doesn't matter that we can't marry in all states or that our marriages don't have the same legal protections as all other marriages?
Are we just supposed to pretend that gay kids aren't targeted for bullying & harassment?
Are we just supposed to pretend that gays & lesbians aren't still being fired or kicked out of their homes just because they're gay?
I did not confirm or deny anything. Do I find the ignorance of others offensive? Sometimes. But their ignorance cannot be overcome by sanctimony. The only thing that overcomes ignorance is to not let it affect the quality of your life.

Location hidden

#48 Feb 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with your comment, except for one thing. Sexuality is an integral part, but it is not something by which anyone should define themselves. When referring to yourself, do you say 'I'm a person', or do you say 'I'm a gay person'?

If it's the latter, then I submit you are assigning too much significance on just one part of what makes you a unique person. I'm not in 'denial' as you accuse; I simply do not believe sexuality is that important in defining self-image; nor should it be something by which you are judged. I know that you are fighting a battle against some serious inequities in our society. I will fight right next to you as it relates to marriage and family rights. Why? Because it's the right thing to do.

The one thing that I take exception to here is that some of you are taking swipes at me. That's fine, knock yourselves out. It's funny how quick you are to pick a fight when all I'm doing is trying to be an example for the idiots out there who discriminate against you.

I understand that the persecution can get to a point where your knee-jerk reaction is to fight, but it certainly was not my intent to stir it up.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#49 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
The membership of a GSA may tilt heavily with LGBT students. But the fact remains that it IS OPEN to ALL STUDENTS. Unlike so-called religious clubs that exclude students that don't hold the 'right' religious beliefs.
Charles R Darwin wrote:
So that would mean cancelling all school dances, in particular the prom. Good luck with that.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#51 Feb 8, 2013
NoQ wrote:
Buttercup, I'll be short and right to the point. You fking Shiteater, FAGG@T Ricky in Kansas, fk you and anyone or anything you care about. Now go su:ck your mommas DlCK like you did while growing up. You fking piece of SHlT.
I think you should change your name to "No IQ."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 3 min WeTheSheeple 1,392
Poll: Support for gay marriage may be leveling off 6 min Buford 3
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 8 min pocahontas 2,009
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Long Stream 49,934
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 11 min cancer suxs 258
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 17 min WeTheSheeple 56
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 19 min Avenger 1,479
How long before being gay is a fireable offense? 2 hr hahaha 42
Biggest Gay Lies 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,092
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••