Hong Kong Won't Let Gay Couples Marry...

Hong Kong Won't Let Gay Couples Marry at British Consulate

There are 11 comments on the EDGE story from Jun 9, 2014, titled Hong Kong Won't Let Gay Couples Marry at British Consulate. In it, EDGE reports that:

Tens of thousands of Hong Kong residents marched Monday in a downtown street during an annual pro-democracy protest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Marley

Absecon, NJ

#1 Jun 9, 2014
Way to go Hong Kong! Why should they?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Jun 9, 2014
It's not clear to me how Hong Kong can stop the British consulate from doing what it wants. But this is actually good. It highlights the issue in a way that makes the Chinese look foolish.

And whenever they decide to thumb noses at the Chinese, the Brits can start conducting weddings.
Maggie Gallaghers Schmear

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 9, 2014
The British foreign service is traditionally so homosexual and ribald that the Chinese are afraid any (male) same sex couples being married in the British Consulate will be sexually interfered with?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Jun 9, 2014
Marley wrote:
They should so GAY people can marry in Hong Kong Marley dear

“Freedom and Liberty”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#5 Jun 10, 2014
Marley wrote:
Because it is the purpose of Government to serve the people not micromanage every aspect of their lives. That's why they should.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#6 Jun 10, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
It's not clear to me how Hong Kong can stop the British consulate from doing what it wants. But this is actually good. It highlights the issue in a way that makes the Chinese look foolish.
And whenever they decide to thumb noses at the Chinese, the Brits can start conducting weddings.
It is not the Chinese people but the Chinese government who is conducting this evil. Just like when people who hate our politicians say they hate American's they really don't hate me and you but those in our government who stick their noses into their countries business.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#7 Jun 10, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the Chinese people but the Chinese government who is conducting this evil. Just like when people who hate our politicians say they hate American's they really don't hate me and you but those in our government who stick their noses into their countries business.
You're right. I meant to indict the Chinese government, not the Chinese themselves. I should have made that explicit.
Hillary Wars

Cummington, MA

#8 Jun 10, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it is the purpose of Government to serve the people not micromanage every aspect of their lives. That's why they should.
Govt here does micromanage our lives Alan. It starts in school.
Depravity

Cummington, MA

#9 Jun 10, 2014
Hillary Wars wrote:
<quoted text>
Govt here does micromanage our lives Alan. It starts in school.
Serfdom and regulation are another way. More govt and less choices.
The Chicken Goes

Cummington, MA

#10 Jun 10, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I meant to indict the Chinese government, not the Chinese themselves. I should have made that explicit.
Well pawn:
Maybe instead of 'indicting' the Chinese or Russian govt you could indict our gay friendly allies like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Egypt, and so on. But of course gays dare not touch any topix board that involves cases like the Muslim "Movement in Britain who got a gay treacher fired.
The state run propaganda here is going after Russia and China because they seek a new currency and independence aside from the petro dollar and gas resources that Russia generally controls. So where are those "Green energy psycopaths" to INDICT our govt's foment effort in Ukraine, Libya, Syria, etc. You're a hypocrite and a coward.
The chicken goes,
Cluck Cluck Cluck Cluck.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#11 Jun 10, 2014
As someone of chinese descent i don't see the Chinese opposition of gay marriage as that big a deal. We had near 2 millenia of tolerance for homosexuality and gay marriage. It is recorded in our history books and it is quite hard to argue when one of our esteemed golden ages - the Han Dynasty (chinese people still call themselves Han Chinese) featured emperors who all had male spouses. Bisexuality was common and not noteworthy, there was also 10 emperors who were likely exclusively gay in our dynastic history.

China is seen as anti-gay because the Communists came to power and started persecuting everyone that was different - even our most revered Confucius came under attack (he occupies a position similar to Jesus in our society) or educated people who might step out of the government line. But in a few decades they have removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders and it is no longer officially a crime warranting a visit to re-education labour camps. That is quite a rapid change in policy to neutral and our period of persecution is significantly shorter than that of many advanced western nations today.

I'm not being an apologist for the PRC as i can't stand them but chinese people are practical and religious influences do not have as much clout. Traditionally, gay marriage for the commoners was for social stability as gender and economic imbalance meant many young chinese men could not find a wife. So they were married to an older male who supported them and taught them a trade. In time they were dissolved usually after 10-15 years (although some were life long) and the younger man would be a more attractive suitor to get a wife.

Scores of single young men are viewed nervously by Chinese authorities as they have contributed to toppling of dynasties or rebellion movements. So when the PRC looked at the issue that was what they considered and not rights based equality arguments.

Hong Kong is a former British colony that was seized to facilitate selling drugs to China as Britain needed to correct her trade deficit with China in the past due to love for tea and silk. It was one of many unequal and humiliating measures they and other foreign powers including America forced on a weak China.

Mainland China opposes western influences on the much freer city of Hong Kong as they do not like it drifting in the direction of the west. Meanwhile Hong Kongers oppose most of the PRCs policies but in this issue they are quite conservative. The last similar incident was when British nationals got gender change on documents legalized via the judiciary of Hong Kong. So both sides are likely in agreement that they do not want defacto legalization of gay marriage by the British.

Before Hong Kong was handed back to China, many locals got British citizenship so a significant section of the HK population could take advantage of it. Plus groups like Mass Resistance who have realized they long lost the battle domestically have moved abroad. There is no counterveiling voice in Hong Kong since asian people are more collective than individualistic so few will really stand up for gay rights.

Things are changing in Hong Kong though, gay sub characters are appearing in soap operas (consider the fact that french kissing is rare and usually a quick peck is the norm). While Hong Kong is progressive in many areas she lags in gay rights but change can happen very rapidly there so i'd imagine it would be legalized in my lifetime but the first battle is for universal suffrage and choosing their own leaders. Without securing that, all freedoms and rights will be eaten away by mainland China piecemeal.

In regards to the international community not willing to challenge Qatar or muslims in Britain. That is incorrect - there are government investigations over muslims taking over school boards and the Soccer games in Qatar has led to opposition making them suspend the laws against gay people for the duration although it might be moot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was Topix Not Working Earlier this Evening For ... 7 min Fa-Foxy 1
News Boy Scout leaders vote on ending ban on gay adults 8 min duffus 5
News Boy Scouts expected to end ban on gay leaders 10 min duffus 26
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 17 min nhjeff 589
News Boy Scouts end ban on gay adults 19 min Proxy Baptism of ... 3
News Pastor's Fiery Sermon Lambasting Christians'... 24 min Big Knob 2
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 26 min Lawrence Wolf 412
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 28 min Poof1 7,981
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 6 hr WasteWater 1,119
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 7 hr Wondering 1,565
More from around the web