Pope Begins Interfering With Politics...

Pope Begins Interfering With Politics By Urging Denial Of Communion

There are 22 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from May 13, 2013, titled Pope Begins Interfering With Politics By Urging Denial Of Communion. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Pope Francis I has urged his bishops in Argentina to deny Communion to anyone- especially politicians- who do not toe the Catholic Church's line.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 May 13, 2013
Countries in which the Catholic Church interferes in politics need to respond by confiscating Church property and selling it at auction. Some large churches could be converted into loft condos and some monasteries and convents into hotels.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#2 May 13, 2013
This has nothing to do with politics. It is a fallacy of gays and company that you see everything in terms of politics (what you want) rather than a Christian and/or Catholic Bible-based moral and spiritual code. Way to go, Pope, for standing firm as the Bible instructs. I'm glad he's not willing to see Christian theology be watered down to keep from "offending" people. Being offended is a political gambit intended to limit, marginalize, and destroy opposition. It cannot happen unless Christians and conservatives fail to see being "offended" for what it really is - a control tactic.
AzAdam

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 May 13, 2013
It seems pretty obvious that who's eligible for communion is entirely the domain of the church. However, any politician who changes their vote based on that has violated their oath of office.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#4 May 13, 2013
.as a X-Catholic and Now an AThiest - F the Pope and the dress he came in on.....ahh the easiy Brainwashed masses ...lol
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#5 May 13, 2013
Chance wrote:
This has nothing to do with politics. It is a fallacy of gays and company that you see everything in terms of politics (what you want) rather than a Christian and/or Catholic Bible-based moral and spiritual code. Way to go, Pope, for standing firm as the Bible instructs. I'm glad he's not willing to see Christian theology be watered down to keep from "offending" people. Being offended is a political gambit intended to limit, marginalize, and destroy opposition. It cannot happen unless Christians and conservatives fail to see being "offended" for what it really is - a control tactic.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..see Brainwashing works on some fools- you're proof positive

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Lewes, DE

#6 May 13, 2013
I fail to see how not being allowed to practice cannibalism - eating flesh and drinking blood (even if symbolic)- is a "punishment." I think it is more of a virtue to not do such insane things.

If you worship a deity who requires that you eat flesh and drink blood, I don't think very highly of your deity. Why not shop around a little, there are thousands of other deities that have been identified by humans over the millennia, many of which do not have such a stone age requirement.[Stay away from Aztecs, however, they have the same blood-lust as Christianity. At least, there's no difference that I can see.]

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 May 13, 2013
It's the Dark Ages all over again.

Excommunication and Interdict.
Sgt Common Sense

United States

#8 May 13, 2013
I’m OK, I purchased an Indulgence :)
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#9 May 13, 2013
Chance wrote:
If it's not about politics, why is the catholic and other churches constantly trying to deny civil rights of others? Marriage equality and abortion are legal this country.

Your churches are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#10 May 13, 2013
Chance wrote:
Oh and by the way. Religion is a myth and your god is make believe. It would be different if your kind actually had any empirical data proving the existence of your fantasies.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#11 May 13, 2013
That didn't take long for this new one to prove how deep in the Bronze age the church still is. Popes.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#12 May 13, 2013
Remember that the Pope IS the Head Of State of a foreign country. So he should NOT be interfering in, nor making pronouncements about, the internal politics of other countries.

Since: Nov 08

Alabaster, AL

#13 May 13, 2013
Tax them! take away the gold!

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#14 May 13, 2013
Chance wrote:
Wielding redemption as a weapon to force people to act against their will or to circumvent the better angels of their nature is not "Christian"...it's spiritual blackmail.

It's immoral, it's unethical and it's beneath the dignity of both the person and the office of Pope.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#15 May 13, 2013
KirkW wrote:
<quoted text>
Wielding redemption as a weapon to force people to act against their will or to circumvent the better angels of their nature is not "Christian"...it's spiritual blackmail.
It's immoral, it's unethical and it's beneath the dignity of both the person and the office of Pope.
Nothing is beneath the dignity of the office of the Pope. Remember Pope Borgia?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#16 May 13, 2013
Chance wrote:
It's a fallacy of the Catholic Church (et al) that everything they do is entirely spiritually motivated. They've mucked about in the politics of civil governments since Constantin.
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#17 May 13, 2013
The older amongst us will recall that this was the major concern when Kennedy was running for president. He actually came out and made a major policy announcement declaring that he would not be bounden to the Pope in making his decisions. The fact that the pope has decided to instruct his bishops to go particularly after politicians makes this political, contrary to the claims of the RC idiot Chance. He is not compelling non-politicians in the church to declare where they stand on these issues in order to get a mouthful of weak wine and tasteless wafer (grape juice in the baptist churches), but is rather reacting only to the publicly stated positions of the elected officials.

In this way he is trying to force foreign governments to align with his goals and demands and religious views. How would this new guy feel if the American government were to announce that it would no longer allow tax exemptions for catholic churches unless the Vatican was to change its own policies on various issues (like gay marriage, abstinence and condoms). That would certainly get his holinessless in a snit.

If anything, this new attack on the sovereignty of foreign governments will lead to fewer and fewer catholics in public office. If only we could apply this also to evangelicals, we might have a government interested in doing what is right rather than what is convenient around election time.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Levittown, PA

#18 May 13, 2013
AzAdam wrote:
It seems pretty obvious that who's eligible for communion is entirely the domain of the church. However, any politician who changes their vote based on that has violated their oath of office.
It seems pretty obvious that lots of unrepentant sinners - such as those who covet or take the lord's name in vain or support capital punishment - are not similarly singled out from exclusion from the body-wafer and blood-wine rite.

And two of those sins are mentioned right in the headlining ten commandments, so it's not in scripture that supporing glbt rights is more "heinous" than those sins are.

So it is perfectly appropriate to point this flagrant hypocrisy, rank homophobia, and underlying misogyny and authoritarianism of the RCC in this and other matters out.

Whether the RCC _can_ bar people, or try to, is not really the issue.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#19 May 14, 2013
The old man in the dress (the pope) needs to STFU!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#20 May 14, 2013
Brian wrote:
The old man in the dress (the pope) needs to STFU!
Do you think that in his papal poop room there is a nice big hook for him to lift and hang his frilly robes while he takes his Holy Shiites, or does some poor nun or young priest have to come in and stand there and hold his robes up while he does his "dirty sinful business"?(Reverend Lovejoy, the Simpsons)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 41 min Just Think 334
What causes homophobia? 48 min Bruddah Z 7
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 54 min Bruddah Z 58,413
News Democrat Doug Jones ekes out narrow victory ove... 1 hr Imprtnrd 1
News Gay couple, devout baker take cake fight to hig... 2 hr Wondering 68
News Oklahoma's New Lesbian State Senator: 'I Ran as... 9 hr Pilots nail drivi... 12
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 9 hr Frindly 14,775
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 11 hr funhouse mirror 108
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 17 hr GodSmacked 26,914
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 22 hr Wondering 411
More from around the web