French comedian rallies broad front against gay marriage

There are 34 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 11, 2013, titled French comedian rallies broad front against gay marriage. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

When the opponents of gay-marriage take to the streets in Paris on Sunday, their protest will be led neither by politicians nor priests, but by a sassy comedian in a pink T-shirt who goes by the stage name Frigide Barjot.

With her on the march, expected to be one of the capital's biggest demonstrations in years, will be a young gay man who campaigns against homosexual marriage and an older activist from the right-to-life movement.

Notably absent will be most religious leaders who set the tone for the opposition with talking points based on social and legal arguments rather than appeals to faith.

"We're all born of a man and a woman, but the law will say the opposite tomorrow," says Barjot, warning the reform would break links between father, mother and children that ground human society. "It will say a child is born of a man and a man."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Jan 11, 2013
If I spoke fluent french I'd tell the skanky looking woman just how offensive she is by equating marriage with breeding show dogs.

And one gay man is supporting her. You just know the press and bigots will pounce on the old, "but nopt all gays WANT SSM" crap. Of course they ignore the divorce rate and the number of straights who ignore marriage and just shack up.

Lastly I'm not surprised there will be no religious leaders showing up in support. They don't need to. They stirred the pot and now sit back and watch, safe in their churches and homes.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Jan 11, 2013
This is really messed up!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#5 Jan 11, 2013
Ms Barjot's sole argument against same sex marriages seems to be that heterosexuals are so weak minded, that if they were to see same sex couples getting married they will somehow forget what they are supposed to do as heterosexuals. And people are actually listening to this woman? Gotta love a movement that insults you for being a part of it.

Nous sommes ici. Nous sommes des débiles. Ne nous confondez plus que nous sommes déjà.
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jan 11, 2013
Boris, you are an idiot. I would say more, but it would only by redundant.

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Jan 11, 2013
Down with France !

FREEDOM FRIES FOREVER !

:)

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#8 Jan 11, 2013
So the homophobes are basing their opposition to same-sex marriage on the assumption that somehow heterosexual marriages will be declared invalid?

Absolutely ridiculous.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Jan 11, 2013
Boris wrote:
Way to go France!
watch out for flying squirrels.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#10 Jan 11, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
Absolutely ridiculous.
your assessment of their point sure is...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Jan 11, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Ms Barjot's sole argument against same sex marriages seems to be that heterosexuals are so weak minded, that if they were to see same sex couples getting married they will somehow forget what they are supposed to do as heterosexuals. And people are actually listening to this woman? Gotta love a movement that insults you for being a part of it.
Nous sommes ici. Nous sommes des débiles. Ne nous confondez plus que nous sommes déjà.
Reminds me of the prosecutor in Russia who wanted to jail Madonna. The reporters in court were laughing so hard when he claimed legalising SSM would cause the birth rate to drop, the judge almost threw them out of the courtroom.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#12 Jan 11, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
So the homophobes are basing their opposition to same-sex marriage on the assumption that somehow heterosexual marriages will be declared invalid?
Absolutely ridiculous.
Sounds just like what is going on here in the USA.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Jan 11, 2013
Cal In AZ wrote:
Down with France !
FREEDOM FRIES FOREVER !
:)
quotes the Republican! When are you guys going to start trying to change a "French Dip Sandwhich" to the FaFoxy Dump?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Jan 11, 2013
SirAndrew wrote:
Boris, you are an idiot. I would say more, but it would only by redundant.
allow me:

Moose and Squirrel.

Moose and Squirrel.

Moose and Squirrel.
Qwerty26

Lewes, DE

#15 Jan 11, 2013
Dear Frigide must read English. She obviously got all her points from NOM materials. Since NOM is losing ground (spelled m-o-n-e-y) in this country, my guess is that they are trying to go international.

And what's this bit about the law saying that children are born of a man and a man? Does it really say that? I think it takes a part of a man and a part of a woman to create a child. It sure doesn't take "marriage" now, does it? Otherwise we wouldn't have any out-of-wedlock births.
Brian

Houston, TX

#16 Jan 11, 2013
She's ruining her own career. Au Revoir!
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#17 Jan 11, 2013
Brian wrote:
She's ruining her own career. Au Revoir!
I am sure thats exactly what she is thinking surround by throngs of people...

Did you notice the part of the article talking about how the rate of acceptance has seriously DECLINED?
I wonder if that will happen here too as you guys go on...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#18 Jan 11, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure thats exactly what she is thinking surround by throngs of people...
Did you notice the part of the article talking about how the rate of acceptance has seriously DECLINED?
I wonder if that will happen here too as you guys go on...
backlash at the top of the stairs

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/conve...

"The noted British historian Arnold Toynbee has a sweeping theory of human development called "The Cycle of Challenge and Response." According to this theory every civilization faces a constant succession of challenges and confrontations, and its viability and soundness can be measured by the vigor and nature of the response. It may meet the challenge head on, emerging stronger and healthier for the encounter; it may react defensively, desperately, leaving the struggle exhausted; or it may, at the first sign of threat, simply lie down and die. As it is with civilizations, so it may be with movements. For that matter, so it may be with individuals. Our vitality, our spirit, and our very capacity for survival can likely be measured not only by the vigor of our response to challenge and confrontation but also by the pattern and the nature of that response....

Our battle for freedom and recognition parallels to a striking degree that experienced by the blacks, for we are (in every modern sense of that term) a minority. We have our ghettos, our unemployment, our underemployment, and our Uncle Toms. We have our establishment (composed of society as a whole and, particularly, of many of the professionals in the governmental and private agencies). That establishment condescendingly loves us if we stay in our places, and bitterly resents us if we strive for equality...

....they tell us that there is no discrimination and that we are not a minority. We want no strife or confrontation, but we will do what we have to do. We are simply no longer willing to be second-class citizens. We have said it before, and we say it again: We know who we are, and we will never go back!...

.... No group ever goes from second-class status to first-class citizenship without passing through a period of hostility. Several years ago I made the statement that we had not even come far enough up the stairway of independence for anybody to hate us. I believe I can safely say that that problem has now been solved. We have enemies enough to satisfy even the most militant among us. We have actually progressed to the point of creating a backlash.

However, we must see the situation in perspective. The hostility and backlash which we are experiencing are not due to mistakes on our part or to radical behavior or to over aggressiveness or to any of the other trumped-up charges which have been made against us. Just as with the black civil rights movement and Martin Luther King, the hostile reactions and backlash are an inevitable step on the stairs which lead from the depths of rejection and custody to the upper level of freedom and first-class status. The bottom steps of that stairway are often paved with condescension and pity; the middle steps are sometimes paved with goodwill and the beginnings of acceptance; but the top steps are always paved with resentment and fear. We have come a long way up. We are approaching the top of the stairs, and we are experiencing our full measure of fear and resentment...."

An Address Delivered By Kenneth Jernigan
President, National Federation of the Blind
At the Banquet of the Annual Convention
Miami Beach, July 5, 1979
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#19 Jan 11, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
Our battle for freedom and recognition parallels to a striking degree that experienced by the blacks,
"Loving does indicate that not all state restrictions upon the right to marry are beyond reach of the Fourteenth Amendment. But in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex."
Mikey

Walpole, MA

#20 Jan 11, 2013
Boris wrote:
"We're all born of a man and a woman, but the law will say the opposite tomorrow," says Barjot, warning the reform would break links between father, mother and children that ground human society. "It will say a child is born of a man and a man."
WELL SAID AND 100% SPOT ON!
Hey Boris...Moose and Squirrel said you were an A-hole...now I see why

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#21 Jan 11, 2013
Those opposing legal same-sex marriage are fighting a losing battle. Why? Because same-sex marriage is ALREADY legally recognized in a number of places, and has been for years, and all the dire consequences that were predicted have failed to appear.

Legal recognition of same-sex marriage does not change heterosexual marriage in any way. It doesn't cause heterosexuals to stop having babies. It doesn't cause economies to collapse, or churches to burst into flames, or natural disasters to smite the populace.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#22 Jan 11, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
"Loving does indicate that not all state restrictions upon the right to marry are beyond reach of the Fourteenth Amendment. But in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex."
Old news and no longer a precedent to rely on considering the number of times DOMA and other laws that discriminate against us have been ruled unconstitutional in Federal Court.

Let's wait till Perry is decided by SCOTUS OK? And the case from NY as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 4 min Laura 4,393
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min Rev Wall 33,036
News Church reels after Ireland's huge 'Yes' to gay ... 4 min QUITTNER May 24 2015 6
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 7 min Nine Ball 59,890
News Ireland same-sex marriage 9 min Black Annie 24
Discuss NE Jade Here. 9 min Jarvis 1
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 12 min WeTheSheeple 142
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 29 min NorCal Native 5,645
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 50 min Local 21,521
News Josh Duggar apology not enough? Fallout from mo... Sat Fa-Foxy 24
More from around the web