Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments (Page 466)

Showing posts 9,301 - 9,320 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
On the other hand, as the population ages, people wise up. Most same sex marriage supporters are OK with it because of how it feels to be sympathetic to a mascot victim group. When you consider the consequences of radical change to a fundamental social institution, then you become a conservative.
Bingo!

Also, as people age and have children of their own they view social cultural influences quite differently. When little Johnny comes home all happy because he learned today in school that when he grows up he can marry his best friend Billy it gives you a different perspective on the issue.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is one way to look at it. Yet another, is that as people age their position changes. Its called wisdom.
No one who is young and not bigoted grows older and becomes bigoted.....BEING A BIGOT ISNT WISDOM...BEING AGAINT THE CONSTITUTION ISNT WISDOM.....BEING AGAINT FREEDOM AND EQQUALITY ISNT WISDOM.

IT IS NAZI FASCIST BIGOTRY AND HATE..

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't play silly word games with me. I am stupid.
Speaking in terms of quantity...yes there are more promiscuous heterosexual men. The reason is obvious.
Speaking in terms of a percentage of the whole...no comparison.
We all know this. Do we really need to do this?
We only need to do this for those who would use the fact that some gay men and even more straight men are promiscuous, as an excuse to deny equal treatment under the law to all gay men and all gay women as well, while not holding straight men similarly accountable. This fails as a valid excuse for discrimination.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is one way to look at it. Yet another, is that as people age their position changes. Its called wisdom.
That would be one way to look at it if we were looking at it in a vacuum without being able test the theory. Fortunately, we have historical polls by age group that show increasing support for marriage equality in every bracket.

Third Way analyzed data by age, race, gender, religion, geography, education, income, etc. No matter how they broke down the cohort, they found increasing levels of support for marriage equality.

In particular, they found that support for marriage equality among those born before 1940 increased from 15% to 28%. Support increased from 44% to 61% among people born after 1980.

Yes, people are gaining wisdom as they gain experience. They are becoming more welcoming toward the people they share the planet with.

http://www.thirdway.org/publications/600

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Frankies Pudenda wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for admitting it.
LOL!

If I meant to say "I am NOT stupid" but wrote "I am stupid" I think I am proving the latter.=}

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
No one who is young and not bigoted grows older and becomes bigoted.....BEING A BIGOT ISNT WISDOM...BEING AGAINT THE CONSTITUTION ISNT WISDOM.....BEING AGAINT FREEDOM AND EQQUALITY ISNT WISDOM.
IT IS NAZI FASCIST BIGOTRY AND HATE..
Whats up with the caps? Psycho much?

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

You did that long ago.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Equal" used 4 times. Nice work.
In the state of CA this law applies to both you and I equally:
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or
recognized in California.
Marriage rights are defined by each state. Why is that so hard to understand?
That only applies to the same sex marriage performed after it was passed, not those before it was passed, and because it denies equal treatment, it has been found unconstitutional every time it has been considered so far.

It also denies equal treatment to same sex couples married in other jurisdictions, while the marriages of straight couples from those same jurisdictions are recognized. This is discrimination under the law.

No matter how many times you count the word "equal" you still fail to provide a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats up with the caps? Psycho much?
Like name says...SICK OF THE NAZI FASICT BS THE FAR RIGHT IS SPEWING......I AM MAD

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
Bingo! Also, as people age and have children of their own they view social cultural influences quite differently. When little Johnny comes home all happy because he learned today in school that when he grows up he can marry his best friend Billy it gives you a different perspective on the issue.
Good point. Both time and experience builds wisdom.

Same sex marriage creates a radically new institution where gender segregation is a norm; that harms everyone who believes in diversity and harmony.
sickofit

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Good point. Both time and experience builds wisdom.
Same sex marriage creates a radically new institution where gender segregation is a norm; that harms everyone who believes in diversity and harmony.
HOW DOES MORE FREEDOM AND MORE EQUALITY ADD SEGREGATION MORON????

You nazi fascist are just total uneducated inbred fools.....GO AWAY LIAR.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

To WaterBoarder:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
Not Yet Equal wrote:
The only way to prevent bullying is to change those negative beliefs before they are acted upon. Unfortunately for those who want to teach that being gay is some sort of disorder, that requires teaching that gay people are a natural minority of the human population, and should be treated the same as others.
Punishing the bullies after the fact does not prevent the harm that results to both the victim and the bully.
to which you responded:
WaterBoarder wrote:
Absolutely. Thanks for being honest. Welcome to the gay agenda.
This is why I oppose ALL gay rights. I used to take the live and let live position. But I realized you don't respect my families rights at all and you want to indoctrinate my kids.
Again, your honesty is refreshing.
As I read your response, you obviously advocate the creation of another generation of bullies. How many gay kids did you water-board while growing up? Or is it a recent past-time for you?

Your honesty is nauseating.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Good point. Both time and experience builds wisdom.
Indeed. That explains why all age groups--from the oldest to the youngest--are becoming more equality-oriented when it comes to GLBT's and marriage in particular.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
We only need to do this for those who would use the fact that some gay men and even more straight men are promiscuous, as an excuse to deny equal treatment under the law to all gay men and all gay women as well, while not holding straight men similarly accountable. This fails as a valid excuse for discrimination.
I never said that was a valid reason for anything.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
That only applies to the same sex marriage performed after it was passed, not those before it was passed, and because it denies equal treatment, it has been found unconstitutional every time it has been considered so far.
It also denies equal treatment to same sex couples married in other jurisdictions, while the marriages of straight couples from those same jurisdictions are recognized. This is discrimination under the law.
No matter how many times you count the word "equal" you still fail to provide a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of equal treatment under the law as required by the 5th and 14th amendments.
It was found unconstitutional by a gay judge and the uber-liberal ninth circuit! The Supremes will allow the people's will to stand.

The legitimate societal interest is to keep families and free people from enduring this kind of involuntary indoctrination from happening to their kids:

http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

DaveinMass wrote:
To WaterBoarder:
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
to which you responded:
<quoted text>
As I read your response, you obviously advocate the creation of another generation of bullies. How many gay kids did you water-board while growing up? Or is it a recent past-time for you?
Your honesty is nauseating.
No...you don't get it.

You don't have the right to teach other people's kids your ideas about sexuality in order to prevent bullying. You DO have the right to insist kids respect each other's differences and insist everyone be treated the way they deserve.

Teaching other people's kids your view of sexuality against the wishes of the parents is an infringement on their rights and has much deeper implications than simply gay bullying.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
It was found unconstitutional by a gay judge and the uber-liberal ninth circuit! The Supremes will allow the people's will to stand.
I wouldn't count on that from SCOTUS.......either SCOTUS will rule on the standing issue and toss the 9th's ruling, going back to Judge Walker's ruling or they will uphold the 9th's ruling......either way Prop 8 will not be around much longer.

See the state can define marriage as they want.....but in the Prop 8 situation, a right was granted and then eliminated by just one group of individuals......the marriages that were performed prior to the passage of Prop 8 are still legal, valid and recognized.......and I don't see how couples can be denied a right that others like them already had.

But, we will know soon enough.......and if SCOTUS rules the way you'd like......then it just means that the fight will continue and it will go back to the ballot box in 2016. However, if they rule for the plaintiffs.......what will you do next?

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
It was found unconstitutional by a gay judge and the uber-liberal ninth circuit! The Supremes will allow the people's will to stand.l
At worst, SCOTUS will help delay marriage equality in Califotnia for a few years more. Look at the history: In 2008, Prop 8 won by a margin similar to that in Maine in 2009. In 2012, Mainers had moved further along the equality path and approved marriage for same-sex couples. If Californians are forced to vote again, they will have had at least twice as long to reconsider their reasons bor denying rights to some that most take for granted. We have also had vastly more experience with same-sex coupledom.

I am quite hopeful that SCOTUS will enable all loving couples to marry in California sooner rather than later. But even if we lose the vote in SCOTUS, we will be back to win at the ballot.

Too bad for you.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
No...you don't get it.
You don't have the right to teach other people's kids your ideas about sexuality in order to prevent bullying...
Of course we do. And it's not "our ideas" about sexuality. It's the scientific, medically accepted, logical, rational facts about human sexuality.

It is you who do not have the right to promote your personal ideas of human sexuality. Ideas that are not supported by the medical community, by science, by psychologists, or by anyone who thinks rationally.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that his findings were wrong.

And, when the will of a tiny majority of the people tramples on the basic civil and human rights of a disliked minority, for animus only and with no state interest in that discrimination, you have no idea how the SC will rule.

Your scenario is possible, but not likely.

And then, of course, if you are correct, we will just take it back to the people, and every pol there shows a huge shift toward support for marriage equality. It will simply mean millions of dollars and man hours spent, with the eventual outcome supporting marriage equality.

You like wasting money in these times? Just to harm other taxpayers and their families?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,301 - 9,320 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Gay/Lesbian Forum right now

Search the Gay/Lesbian Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors 4 min lides 1,578
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 min paddyomalley 200,233
Student who married same-sex partner expelled f... 9 min Wondering 6
Scranton Venue Says No to Same-Sex Weddings 12 min Wondering 14
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 16 min Wondering 219,839
CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple We... (Dec '13) 17 min Cedric 15,601
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 32 min Frankie Rizzo 50,799
Losing Streak Lengthens for Foes of Gay Marriage 57 min Old Sarge 1,881
Indiana Won't Recognize Same-Sex Marriages 5 hr Pat Robertson s Fatwass 85
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••