Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9653 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#9645 Jan 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
The government does not give rights. It restricts and defines rights. Any right not restricted or otherwise defined, remains a right. Failure of the ERA does not mean women do not have equal rights.
The constitution requires equal treatment of "all persons". It makes no longer recognizes any exceptions. The gender distinction for the right to vote was eliminated by the 14th amendment.
The government doesn't have the right to redefine marriage. Throughout history, in all written law; marriage has always been defined as male/female until the 21st Century.

“THE JOURNEY OF A 1000 MILES”

Since: Aug 08

BEGINS WITH JUST ONE STEP:-)

#9646 Jan 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've got all the game points I need today.
If you don't get the point, that's your problem.
Obviously you had NO point and that is typical when you post this garbage!!!

#9647 Jan 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The government doesn't have the right to redefine marriage. Throughout history, in all written law; marriage has always been defined as male/female until the 21st Century.
The States HAVE every right to define marriage as they see fit......THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFINE MARRIAGE EXCEPT TO ACCEPT WHAT THE STATES DEFINE MARRIAGE AS!!!

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#9648 Jan 4, 2013
(Correction) The constitution requires equal treatment of "all persons". It no longer recognizes any exceptions. The gender distinction for the right to vote was eliminated by the 19th amendment.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#9649 Jan 4, 2013
DOMA is the law of the land. Vice President Biden voted for the Defense of Marriage Act when he was in the Senate. President Clinton signed DOMA into law.

AOL

#9650 Jan 4, 2013
"At times throughout history, same-sex relationships have enjoyed relative freedom within their respective places.

Evidence exists that same-sex marriages were tolerated in parts of Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt. Artifacts from Egypt, for example, show that same-sex relationships not only existed, but the discovery of a pharaonic tomb for such a couple shows their union was recognized by the kingdom. Meanwhile, accounts of the Israelites' departure for Canaan include their condemnation of Egyptian acceptance of same-sex practice. In actuality, same-sex marital practices and rituals are less known in Egypt compared to Mesopotamia, where documents exist for a variety of marital practices, including male lovers of kings and polyandry. None of the recorded laws of Mesopotamia, including the Code of Hammurabi, contain restrictions against same-sex unions despite the fact that marriages are otherwise well regulated. "
http://www.randomhistory.com/history-of-gay-m...

A book by the Dominican missionary and Prior, Jacques Goar (1601-1653), includes same sex ceremonies in a printed collection of Greek Orthodox prayer books,“Euchologion Sive Rituale Graecorum Complectens Ritus Et Ordines Divinae Liturgiae”(Paris, 1667).

Another book by Gerald of Wales (‘Geraldus Cambrensis’) recorded same gender Christian sanctified unions also took place in Ireland in the late 12th and early 13th centuries.

"Historical evidence, including legal documents and gravesites, can be interpreted as supporting the prevalence of homosexual relationships hundreds of years ago, said Allan Tulchin of Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania.

Gay Marriage Is As Old As History www.gaychristian101.com/Gay-Marriage.html
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#9651 Jan 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
"At times throughout history, same-sex relationships have enjoyed relative freedom within their respective places."
at times throughout history, CANNIBALISM has enjoyed relative freedom...
and what is this supposed to prove?
nothing, same as yours.

AOL

#9652 Jan 4, 2013
It proves that despite the claims of those who want you to believe same sex marriage is an entirely new thing, in fact, it is as old as history.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#9653 Jan 4, 2013
Homosexuality has always existed, same sex marriage first appeared in written law in the 21st Century.

Note Not Yet Equal's use of the terms,'unions','ceremonies' and 'relationships'. There is no copy of any pre21st Century same sex marriage law.

His citation is full of errors, it state:

"the Netherlands notably being the first to grant equal status of same-sex marriages to opposite-sex marriages. By 2005, Spain, France, Germany, and Canada would follow, to varying degrees of recognition."

Germany doesn't permit same sex marriage. Most same sex marriage scholarship is propaganda.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#9654 Jan 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
It proves that despite the claims of those who want you to believe same sex marriage is an entirely new thing, in fact, it is as old as history.
it doesn't seem to last continuously does it?
I wonder why throughout history it gets shut down...

#9655 Jan 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
DOMA is the law of the land. Vice President Biden voted for the Defense of Marriage Act when he was in the Senate. President Clinton signed DOMA into law.
It is for now, but it won't be for long!!!

Even Clinton and Biden both regret their decisions back in 1996!!!

AOL

#9656 Jan 4, 2013
"Nothing dies so hard or rallies so often as intolerance." Henry Ward Beecher.

AOL

#9657 Jan 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Clinton, Biden, and many others have shown they can assimilate new information that contradicts the irrational prejudice we were all taught as children. They now understand treating others as you would yourself under the law is not only required by the constitution, but necessary for living up to the promise of liberty and justice for all.

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices.” Frederick The Great

#9658 Jan 4, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Clinton, Biden, and many others have shown they can assimilate new information that contradicts the irrational prejudice we were all taught as children. They now understand treating others as you would yourself under the law is not only required by the constitution, but necessary for living up to the promise of liberty and justice for all.
"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices.” Frederick The Great
Exactly........and that's why they now regret their decisions of the past!!!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#9659 Jan 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
That remains to be seen...

NorCal Native wrote:
When the rubber hit the road, when the Senate voted and the President signed DOMA into law, they supported the Federal government's definition of marriage as one man and one woman. When they weren't accountable to their constituency, they changed with the wind.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/de...
IFILL: Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.

The bottom line though is, and I'm glad to hear the governor, I take her at her word, obviously, that she think there should be no civil rights distinction, none whatsoever, between a committed gay couple and a committed heterosexual couple. If that's the case, we really don't have a difference.

IFILL: Is that what your said?

PALIN: Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

IFILL: Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#9660 Jan 4, 2013
Statement by President Bill Clinton
On Friday, September 20, prior to signing the Defense of Marriage Act, President Clinton released the following statement:

Throughout my life I have strenuously opposed discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against gay and lesbian Americans. I am signing into law H.R. 3396, a bill relating to same-gender marriage, but it is important to note what this legislation does and does not do.

I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position. The Act confirms the right of each state to determine its own policy with respect to same gender marriage and clarifies for purposes of federal law the operative meaning of the terms "marriage" and "spouse"....

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/scotts/ftp/w...

#9661 Jan 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That remains to be seen...
<quoted text>When the rubber hit the road, when the Senate voted and the President signed DOMA into law, they supported the Federal government's definition of marriage as one man and one woman. When they weren't accountable to their constituency, they changed with the wind.
I seriously doubt that SCOTUS will uphold DOMA, Section 3......and so do most others who support the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples!!!

Actually, Clinton was not on board with it.....it was a compromise and nothing else!!!

AOL

#9662 Jan 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly........and that's why they now regret their decisions of the past!!!
Notice even then, Biden and Clinton supported full equal civil rights under the law, but wanted to call it civil unions rather than marriage. And they even got Palin to agree, even though she doesn't support equal treatment under the law, and never did. Maybe she too, is evolving.

Now that Biden and Clinton support full equal rights under the same name, they demonstrate people can change and learn to accept full equality as required by the constitution.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9663 Jan 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Statement by President Bill Clinton
On Friday, September 20, prior to signing the Defense of Marriage Act, President Clinton released the following statement:
Throughout my life I have strenuously opposed discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against gay and lesbian Americans. I am signing into law H.R. 3396, a bill relating to same-gender marriage, but it is important to note what this legislation does and does not do.
I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position. The Act confirms the right of each state to determine its own policy with respect to same gender marriage and clarifies for purposes of federal law the operative meaning of the terms "marriage" and "spouse"....
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/scotts/ftp/w...
Who is interested in ancient history? Do you have anything relevant?

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#9664 Jan 4, 2013
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh...I knew where that quote was from when I read it. I simply stated that Jesus never said such a thing because it is from a false gospel. I also asked that the poster cite it so other readers will know its source.
I have seen quotes from these "gospels" quoted many time here on Topix. Not once have I seen anyone cite them.
According to the Bible, all scripture is inspired by God. Looks like you don't believe your own book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 16 min Respect71 25,788
News Kentucky clerk defies order, refuses to issue s... 1 hr Just Think 375
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr tongangodz 7,250
News Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marria... 1 hr The Rulings In 35
News Lord Montagu dead: Fast cars and gay rights - a... 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 3
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 3 hr Belle Sexton 3,112
News Read one gay dad's scathing letter to anti-LGBT... 3 hr too lazy to log in 17
News Court: Baker who refused gay wedding cake can't... 7 hr WasteWater 1,168
More from around the web