Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9652 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#9565 Dec 31, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
Well gays and lesbians have been paying taxes (too much to educate YOUR and others kids) and as we increasingly have kids of our own and seek to help those LGBT kids coming through the schools today WE demand that we not be marginalized by those (you) who seek to control what is taught to OUR kids in OUR public schools. Don't like it, get yourself elected to the local school board or send your kid to a school that will teach them according to your standards.
Gay Rights ARE Civil Rights.
Gay Rights ARE Human Rights.
So when SCOTUS references their Loving decision next spring when they rule in our favor don't be surprised.
So "not being marginalized" equals teaching the kids coming from the other 99.3% of non-gay households your ideas about sexuality?

I don't think so.

Come on now. Be honest. You like the idea of teaching other people's kids what you believe about homosexuality. You know that is the best way to change public opinion so you support it. You don't care about the rights of other families as long as you get what you want.

Just admit it. It will feel good.

If the schools were teaching negative things about gays I would be against it. That is the difference between you and I. I will support you on what's fair and right. I respect your opinion and your right to raise your family as you see fit. You just think I am wrong and my children need to be saved from my ignorance.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#9566 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
So "not being marginalized" equals teaching the kids coming from the other 99.3% of non-gay households your ideas about sexuality?
I don't think so.
Come on now. Be honest. You like the idea of teaching other people's kids what you believe about homosexuality. You know that is the best way to change public opinion so you support it. You don't care about the rights of other families as long as you get what you want.
Just admit it. It will feel good.
If the schools were teaching negative things about gays I would be against it. That is the difference between you and I. I will support you on what's fair and right. I respect your opinion and your right to raise your family as you see fit. You just think I am wrong and my children need to be saved from my ignorance.
We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes a well rounded public school education that will help all children succeed in today's world.

You favor restrictions of what can be taught resulting in ignorance. I do not.

The OC

#9567 Dec 31, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
We obviously have very different ideas of what constitutes a well rounded public school education that will help all children succeed in today's world.
You favor restrictions of what can be taught resulting in ignorance. I do not.
Come on Dave. We both know that curriculum is designed to get those kids to adopt more favorable views of gays. Just admit it. You can do it Dave! It will feel good. The truth will set you free!

I don't call that "education" at all. There is an entirely different term for what that is.

The OC

#9568 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to try and engage your limited intelligence on the subject!!!
Resorting to cheap insults is a sign of surrender. I don't mind a good insult but they need to be a bit more pithy if you don't mind.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9569 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Resorting to cheap insults is a sign of surrender. I don't mind a good insult but they need to be a bit more pithy if you don't mind.
No, just not gonna go back and forth on this issue with you when I have tried to explain my position and you keep accusing me of being in favor of something........and as for your religious beliefs......we aren't going to agree and it's not worth going back and forth over......so, Peace to you and yours......Have a wonderful Happy New year!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9570 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Dave. We both know that curriculum is designed to get those kids to adopt more favorable views of gays. Just admit it. You can do it Dave! It will feel good. The truth will set you free!
I don't call that "education" at all. There is an entirely different term for what that is.
The curriculum is designed to teach about the variations that children will find in this wonderful world we live in. The fact that you want to teach your children to despise that which is wonderful is of no import to us. You will have to do that on your own. Our schools are responsible to teach about the world they live in.

In elementary school, I learned about polygamy, even though there were no legally recognized polygamous marriages in the town I grew up in. We also learned about Judaism, even though there were very few Jews in our school. We learned about Islam, even though there were fewer Muslims than gays in our town. We learned about Hinduism, although there was no community of Hindus.

Somehow, we managed to learn about these alternatives without throwing off the Christian traditions that we were brought up in. And our lives were richer for celebrating various religious holidays throughout the month of December, not just Christmas.

You are the biggest coward I've met on Topix. You are afraid that, exposed to the wider world, you will be unable to teach your values to your children. You have little faith in your values.

Nor should you.

Littleton, NH

#9571 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
Happy New Year to you, Rose, and Mrs Whitewater!

#9572 Dec 31, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy New Year to you, Rose, and Mrs Whitewater!
Thank you........and please be safe tonight if you are out and about......frankly, we stay home:-)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9574 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
And what would be unfavorable to gays?

Why not just tell kids the truth like they're doing moron.

#9575 Dec 31, 2012
PARSON BROWNE wrote:
Homosexuality is an abomination those who engage in this activity are headed for hell unless they repent
Yep, another bible idiot who thinks that bullying folks with this imaginary Hell will make them come and believe as they do......sorry, you made need to believe in heaven and hell, but I'm okay with my religious beliefs!!!

Go drink some more unholy water or whatever makes you feel good!!!

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#9576 Dec 31, 2012
PARSON BROWNE wrote:
Homosexuality is an abomination those who engage in this activity are headed for hell unless they repent
Amen

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9577 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Your family is not affected by gay rights unless you or someone in your family wants to impede into a gay American's path and then it's you who is creating the problem.
I'm straight too dipshit and I see no intereference from gays into my family's life so please fuckwad....give me a viable example of your crap claim that gays living their own lives has any *viable* interference in our family's lives.
You're full of more shit than a herd of cattle roaming across a Wyoming wheat field jackass.
LOL!!!
Well said.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9578 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, another bible idiot who thinks that bullying folks with this imaginary Hell will make them come and believe as they do......sorry, you made need to believe in heaven and hell, but I'm okay with my religious beliefs!!!
Go drink some more unholy water or whatever makes you feel good!!!
After spending a couple of years on Topix, most intelligent people walk away from most forms of Christian indoctrination.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#9579 Dec 31, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't judge someone else's marriage. Oscar Wilde married Constance Lloyd and they had two sons, Cyril and Vyvyan. I'd assume he wanted his children to be raised by their mother and father like he was.
<quoted text>^^^This is mere defamation. Many same sex marriage supporters don't have rational arguments, they vilify their opponents and rely on emotion.
<quoted text>Human nature didn't change in the 21st Century.
<quoted text>Same sex marriage is limited by DOMA; taxpayers don't want to subsidize your same sex partner. Don't blame us when you can't win in the courts or voting booth.
<quoted text>If you don't hate children, keep marriage male/female because every child raised by a same sex couple are raised without either a mother or a father.
So you know what Oscar Wilde's intentions were? Do you have a crystal ball? Marriage doesn't guarantee children will be raise by their biological mother and father. The fact is, over 50% of children are in no such situation. What is your point? Does it make you feel really good belittling other people's families? You are a horrible person.

Location hidden

#9580 Dec 31, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
So you know what Oscar Wilde's intentions were? Do you have a crystal ball? Marriage doesn't guarantee children will be raise by their biological mother and father. The fact is, over 50% of children are in no such situation. What is your point? Does it make you feel really good belittling other people's families? You are a horrible person.
" The fact is, over 50% of children are in no such situation"

You have a tendency to distort facts and make things up.

Location hidden

#9581 Dec 31, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
After spending a couple of years on Topix, most intelligent people walk away from most forms of Christian indoctrination.
Most intelligent people realize that there is a God and that life does not occur due to an explosion.

#9582 Dec 31, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that makes a lot of sense after they read the same BS from the those who feel the need to believe that book!!!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#9583 Jan 1, 2013
Even a barren husband and wife can give an adopted child something no same sex couple can give; a mother and father.

#9584 Jan 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Even a barren husband and wife can give an adopted child something no same sex couple can give; a mother and father.
Brian, it matters not......and your comment is just pathetic!!!

Littleton, NH

#9585 Jan 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
And many same-sex couples offer what no heterosexual couple will: A loving and caring permanent home. But why should you be concerned about the children that "good" families have discarded as toxic waste? Denying equality to those same-sex couples is much more fun than doing anything to help children-in-need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Justicea s gay marriage order halts licenses in... 2 min lides 350
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 min lides 13,227
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 6 min South Knox Hombre 8
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 15 min lides 1,006
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 17 min lides 37,453
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 21 min lides 59
Why Do People Turn Gay? 1 hr Blackice5434 16
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 8 hr Quirky 1,022
More from around the web