Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9652 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#9505 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
But it is okay to teach kids that heterosexuality is okay, right? I mean that's what is done every day in school by Teachers who share their personal family histories, yet you don't want kids learning that there are other types of families out there that are just as normal as yours, right?
Actually, our marriage DOESN'T affect you or your family......and the only way it might, would be if we were part of your community or your child's school, but we aren't in either......and neither my wife or I have told ANYONE at ANY school what to teach, though we both have volunteered out our grandchild's school......we don't bring our personal beliefs or lives into it........now, I gotta tell ya that our grandchild is very proud of us and speaks of us often......and our community knows who we are and they treat us with respect, that doesn't mean everyone is our friend, but it does mean that we are very much a part of the community in which we live in!!!
I'm sorry you have issues with what's going to be taught in the school curriculum, but guess what......I don't agree with certain things being taught either.......especially when it comes to ignoring the contributions that Women have made, yet our history books speak mostly about the great contributions only by men.
Now, you can continue to accuse every Gay and Lesbian person as being responsible for including Gays and Lesbians in the curriculum......but the fact remains that it won't stop it from happening.....and you sound just like those bigoted white folks who made such a stink over Black kids being integrated in white schools back in the day!!!
Peace to you and yours......May you have a Safe and Happy New Year!!!
Uh oh...I must have struck a nerve. Making too much sense?

The schools don't teach "heterosexuality". There is no program aimed a such a thing. But I have linked repeatedly to curriculum aimed at teaching our youngest of children about homosexuality. See the difference?

I did PROVE that your marriage affects my family by how it changes our culture and what will be taught to my children in public schools if your friends continue with their agenda. I am not blaming all gays for this agenda. I am just pointing out that it exists and its not just about you and your rights.

And "black kids integrated into white schools"? What the hell are you talking about? I simply don't want the public schools teaching my kids a view on sexuality that I disagree with. Its not about YOU or any other gay person. Its about MY kids and MY family.

The OC

#9506 Dec 31, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
We do, we're married and we live together.......but we don't share anything on topix except that we are married and love each other.....if that makes you sick.....well, I'm sorry for that.....get over it!!!
Again, Peace to you and yours:-)
What the...?!?

Why do you write "if that makes you sick"?

Look...I can't help it if your imagination runs wild with what I believe about you. The truth is I don't care either way. Live how you want.

As I have written 100 times I am concerned with how gay rights affects MY family. I have demonstrated repeatedly that it does in the public schools. I have also demonstrated that almost every gay person on Topix is in support of schools teaching other people's kids their version of sexuality whether the parents like it or not.

So...it is YOU and your friends who are intolerant. It is YOU who and your friends who cannot simply live and let live.

You don't simply want "equal rights". You want to force full public endorsement of your sexuality through any means necessary.

Gay rights affects us all.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9507 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the public school system to teach other people's kids a particular view of sexuality is not tolerance.
Tolerance is defined as: "sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices DIFFERING from or CONFLICTING with one's own."
The schools are not teaching tolerance...they are trying to PERSUADE these children to believe as they do. That is the opposite of tolerance.
I say this is a very personal matter for each family to work out as they see fit. In a free society, I believe the schools should simply stay out of it. Apparently, you believe your friends have the right to teach my child what they believe whether I like it or not. It is YOU who are being intolerant. I wanted to stay neutral in the gay rights issue but because people like yourself want into the public schools I must oppose gay marriage and all gay rights.
You see...your marriage really does affect me and my family. You made it so.
That's a lie.

Teaching kids there are different types of attractions in regards to gays and heterosexuals is exactly that. Giving them a full understanding. Hardly a format of persuation you dumb moron.

LOL!!!

Since when can someone be "persuaded" to be gay or straight you goof...LOL!!!!!

Location hidden

#9508 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry...that is all nonsense. The Bible doesn't mention what you call "homosexuality"...it mentions having gay sex and ALWAYS says don't do it.
Now if you aren't a Christian and choose to not believe it then good for you but please don't give me the "Bible doesn't really say that" argument...its absurd. I can read.
All you are doing is regurgitating the ridiculousness your gay Christian friends have been trying to sell for years. It doesn't wash.
Who gives a shit how you yourself interpret the Bible or religion for that matter?

You can think Jesus carpools with you for advice on your way to work every day as far as anyone cares dipshit.

LOL!!!

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#9509 Dec 31, 2012
Have a BLESSED New Year everyone! The YEAR OF OUR LORD, 2013.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#9510 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
The schools don't teach "heterosexuality". There is no program aimed a such a thing. But I have linked repeatedly to curriculum aimed at teaching our youngest of children about homosexuality. See the difference?
I did PROVE that your marriage affects my family by how it changes our culture and what will be taught to my children in public schools if your friends continue with their agenda. I am not blaming all gays for this agenda. I am just pointing out that it exists and its not just about you and your rights.
And "black kids integrated into white schools"? What the hell are you talking about? I simply don't want the public schools teaching my kids a view on sexuality that I disagree with. Its not about YOU or any other gay person. Its about MY kids and MY family.
HETEROSEXUALITY IS TAUGHT EVERY DAY OF THE SCHOOL YEAR!!!!

You are correct that there is no set curriculum but it happens all the time by which books get read, which songs get sung, what art project is assigned. More telling is what is not taught because school teachers and administrators self censor out most mentions of homosexuality because they do not want to deal with people like you! That schools have ignored anything touching on things 'gay' is the reason set curriculum have had to be created.

During the early Brown v Board of Education trials, they showed dolls to children. White dolls were viewed as 'good' while the black dolls were viewed as 'bad'. This held true for the black children having those views. Was that 'taught' in the schools? No. Was that the conclusions drawn by the students? Yes.

So it is with the homosexuality/heterosexuality issue.

Ignore the education of gay issues -- must be bad.

And the only harm you mention to your family is that your bigotry and intolerance now has competition for the hearts and minds of your children. Don't want your children to learn that there are gays and lesbians in the world and that they are good people and families?...home-school your kid so that their minds will not be open to outside 'wicked' ideas.

But what you seek to accomplish has very real harm towards the LGBT community and their families. Homophobic violence, very real violence, is rooted in ignorance. Ignorance you seek to perpetuate with the next generation.

Location hidden

#9511 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
What the...?!?
Why do you write "if that makes you sick"?
Look...I can't help it if your imagination runs wild with what I believe about you. The truth is I don't care either way. Live how you want.
As I have written 100 times I am concerned with how gay rights affects MY family. I have demonstrated repeatedly that it does in the public schools. I have also demonstrated that almost every gay person on Topix is in support of schools teaching other people's kids their version of sexuality whether the parents like it or not.
So...it is YOU and your friends who are intolerant. It is YOU who and your friends who cannot simply live and let live.
You don't simply want "equal rights". You want to force full public endorsement of your sexuality through any means necessary.
Gay rights affects us all.
Bullshit.

Your family is not affected by gay rights unless you or someone in your family wants to impede into a gay American's path and then it's you who is creating the problem.

I'm straight too dipshit and I see no intereference from gays into my family's life so please fuckwad....give me a viable example of your crap claim that gays living their own lives has any *viable* interference in our family's lives.

You're full of more shit than a herd of cattle roaming across a Wyoming wheat field jackass.

LOL!!!

Location hidden

#9512 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Numero uno - You haven't 'proven' jackshit, you merely gave your polluted opinion.

Numero dos - If you don't want your kids to be fully informed of the world and hence be handicapped like kids raised by Westboro Baptist Church members then home school the little shits.

Numero tres - There never has been a class named "Homosexuality 101" in public schools, the fact homosexuality will be mentioned in a class regarding itself with sexuality is your issue given there are no detrimental effects in education.

---Go back to thinking everyone is jealous of you living in the "OC" you sad little bitch and just shaddup. LOL!!!

The OC

#9513 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lie.
Teaching kids there are different types of attractions in regards to gays and heterosexuals is exactly that. Giving them a full understanding. Hardly a format of persuation you dumb moron.
LOL!!!
Since when can someone be "persuaded" to be gay or straight you goof...LOL!!!!!
No...its the truth. See for yourself:

http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...

Look at those grade school lessons. Why do we need to teach grade school kids (including kindergarten) about "different kinds of attractions"? Why???

This curriculum is aimed at giving the gay community greater public acceptance in the next generation...straight up.

However, according to the law any instruction about "sexuality" or even "family life" needs parental notification (California Education Code (51938)). However, when it comes to this curriculum the school district states this:

"A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code."

http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/GetTheFacts/...

Really...on what planet? Did you see those books. They are all about family life. And discussing gays and gay families "does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life"? That is crazy.

This isn't "education" at all.

The truths is partner you agree with what they are doing so you support it. You don't care about my rights or my families just that gays gain greater public acceptance. It is YOU who are intolerant and YOU who cannot live and let live.

Location hidden

#9514 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
No...its the truth. See for yourself:
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...
Look at those grade school lessons. Why do we need to teach grade school kids (including kindergarten) about "different kinds of attractions"? Why???
This curriculum is aimed at giving the gay community greater public acceptance in the next generation...straight up.
However, according to the law any instruction about "sexuality" or even "family life" needs parental notification (California Education Code (51938)). However, when it comes to this curriculum the school district states this:
"A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code."
Really...on what planet? Did you see those books. They are all about family life. And discussing gays and gay families "does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life"? That is crazy.
The truths is partner you agree with what they are doing so you support it. You don't care about my rights or my families just that gays gain greater public acceptance. It is YOU who are intolerant and YOU who cannot live and let live.
Truth of what you fuckup??

There's nothing there that indicates teaching kids homosexuals exist 'persuades' them into one sexuality or another you complete moron.

LOL!!!

Get lost.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#9515 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes...the old "but Jesus didn't say anything about 'homosexuality' and he said we should love one another" argument.
Nonsense. The Bible is clear and consistent in its condemnation of gay sex. The Gospels don't record Jesus talking about gay sex because there is no need to. Reasonable people don't argue the matter...only gay activists and their friends.
Jesus did define marriage for us though.
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one.(Matt 19:4-6)
But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one.(Mark 10:6-8)
And please spare the "he was talking about divorce" thing. He was RESPONDING to a question about divorce and in the process reiterated Biblical marriage...and with a certain amount of reverence...don't you think?
He also made it clear that type of marriage is not for everyone if you read those verses in context:

Matthew 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

"According to Jesus, born eunuchs are exempt from the Adam and Eve style heterosexual marriage paradigm.

Eunuchs so born from their mother’s womb. These eunuchs, according to Jesus, were born that way. They did not make a personal choice to be eunuchs and they were not physically castrated by men. Some Christians believe these men were homosexual eunuchs." http://www.gaychristian101.com/Homosexual-Eun...

Yet I suspect you will still find in these verses an excuse to ignore the Golden Rule rather than follow it.

If prohibiting committed relationships based on mutual love and respect was even half as important as some Christians want to make it, and imoprtant enough to harm others, surely He would have mentioned it. Yet instead, He kept telling us to love each other as He loves us, over and over:

John 13:34: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Location hidden

#9516 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
And yeah...I do agree with teaching kids about the world around them.

You apparently want to handicap yours.

As far as living and let live don't enroll your kids into public schools if you think geometry is the devil, letting kids know the world is not flat is a sin, having kids find out there are different religions constitutes an immoral ct or advising kids homosexuals are just other people is no more than a demonic effort against their little souls.

LOL!!!

You're a stupid uneducated jerk buddy.

The OC

#9517 Dec 31, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
HETEROSEXUALITY IS TAUGHT EVERY DAY OF THE SCHOOL YEAR!!!!
You are correct that there is no set curriculum but it happens all the time by which books get read, which songs get sung, what art project is assigned. More telling is what is not taught because school teachers and administrators self censor out most mentions of homosexuality because they do not want to deal with people like you! That schools have ignored anything touching on things 'gay' is the reason set curriculum have had to be created.
During the early Brown v Board of Education trials, they showed dolls to children. White dolls were viewed as 'good' while the black dolls were viewed as 'bad'. This held true for the black children having those views. Was that 'taught' in the schools? No. Was that the conclusions drawn by the students? Yes.
So it is with the homosexuality/heterosexuality issue.
Ignore the education of gay issues -- must be bad.
And the only harm you mention to your family is that your bigotry and intolerance now has competition for the hearts and minds of your children. Don't want your children to learn that there are gays and lesbians in the world and that they are good people and families?...home-school your kid so that their minds will not be open to outside 'wicked' ideas.
But what you seek to accomplish has very real harm towards the LGBT community and their families. Homophobic violence, very real violence, is rooted in ignorance. Ignorance you seek to perpetuate with the next generation.
No, I am for educating children about gay history through social studies. Its an important part of understanding our world and culture. I am also against any form of "gay censoring" or discriminating against gay teachers. My son has gay teachers right now. They are great. And yes, it should be perfectly fine for these teachers to discuss their family arrangements, put up pictures of their partners or spouses, etc. That is what "tolerance" is. It is respecting the fact that we may see things differently but can live side by side without interfering in each other's lives and our separate beliefs.

This school's program is aimed at PERSUADING other people's kids to a particular point of view about the issue. It is a thought out, coordinated effort as such a thing. That is not tolerance at all. In fact, its intolerance.

As far as home schooling...thanks but no thanks. I pay taxes too and we all must live in a society that we share. I simply ask that my beliefs not be discriminated against and my life not be interfered with. The school can stay out of this issue and leave it up to our families and communities.

And please don't invoke "Brown". There are no equivalencies here.

Location hidden

#9518 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
However, when it comes to this curriculum the school district states this:
Are you this insecure all week???

Are they teaching the little kiddies sexual positions?

No.

They're advising kids some families have 2 daddies.

Big whoop.

Chill out loser and find another hobby than getting an aneurysm on a non-issue.

The OC

#9519 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Who gives a shit how you yourself interpret the Bible or religion for that matter?
You can think Jesus carpools with you for advice on your way to work every day as far as anyone cares dipshit.
LOL!!!
Uh oh...troll alert! Hide the children!

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.:/&#712;tro&#650 ;l/,/&#712;tr&#594;l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

The OC

#9520 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Your family is not affected by gay rights unless you or someone in your family wants to impede into a gay American's path and then it's you who is creating the problem.
I'm straight too dipshit and I see no intereference from gays into my family's life so please fuckwad....give me a viable example of your crap claim that gays living their own lives has any *viable* interference in our family's lives.
You're full of more shit than a herd of cattle roaming across a Wyoming wheat field jackass.
LOL!!!
In Internet slang, a troll (pron.:/&#712;tro&#650 ;l/,/&#712;tr&#594;l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

The OC

#9521 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Numero uno - You haven't 'proven' jackshit, you merely gave your polluted opinion.
Numero dos - If you don't want your kids to be fully informed of the world and hence be handicapped like kids raised by Westboro Baptist Church members then home school the little shits.
Numero tres - There never has been a class named "Homosexuality 101" in public schools, the fact homosexuality will be mentioned in a class regarding itself with sexuality is your issue given there are no detrimental effects in education.
---Go back to thinking everyone is jealous of you living in the "OC" you sad little bitch and just shaddup. LOL!!!

The OC

#9522 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth of what you fuckup??
There's nothing there that indicates teaching kids homosexuals exist 'persuades' them into one sexuality or another you complete moron.
LOL!!!
Get lost.

Location hidden

#9523 Dec 31, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
This school's program is aimed at PERSUADING other people's kids to a particular point of view about the issue. It is a thought out, coordinated effort as such a thing. That is not tolerance at all. In fact, its intolerance.
Oh bullshit.

LOL!!!

I saw no "persuasion" loser. There were excersizes in making straight kids perform as gays.

You're freaking out brother. You're seeing flocks of flying purple elephants on a clear sunny day. You're seeing shit that doesn't exist.

The OC

#9524 Dec 31, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you this insecure all week???
Are they teaching the little kiddies sexual positions?
No.
They're advising kids some families have 2 daddies.
Big whoop.
Chill out loser and find another hobby than getting an aneurysm on a non-issue.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
✊💦 6 min Humphrey 5
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 6 min Time again 3,045
The NE Jade Friday Thread 10 min Big Jade Fan 4
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 34 min Time again 10,712
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 36 min Frankie Rizzo 34,776
News Anti-Gay Jehovah's Witness Cartoon Tells Kids T... 51 min Mikronboy 97
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 1 hr Three Days 439
More from around the web