Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments (Page 407)

Showing posts 8,121 - 8,140 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh just in time for McCarthyism. What a wonderful pedigree!
Communist!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

WaterBoarder wrote:
-Now the SCOTUS will hear the appeal.
With all that said, do you really think the SCOTUS will allow the Constitutional process in a state to be over-ruled by the legal wranglings of gay activists? I don't think they will. A lot is said about shifting public opinion but at the end of the day would the court not see this as a state's rights vs feds issue? Marriage laws are defined at the state level. Always have been.
In any case, I must admit it really doesn't matter. If Prop 8 is upheld it will simply be voted on again every two years until its repealed.
Am I wrong?
Nope, you're not wrong about the voting to repeal Prop 8 IF and that's a big IF SCOTUS should rule it Constitutional, BUT I believe that SCOTUS is specifically looking at the Prop 8 case with regards to the Article 3 Standing issue and if they rule that the proponents of Prop 8 did not have standing, then they will more than likely overturn the 9th's ruling and uphold Judge Walker's ruling, but I'm pretty certain that there will be PLENTY of speculation on how SCOTUS will rule between now and June of 2013.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...all true. Yet another way to tell events is more like this:
-Prop 22 passed by a majority vote.
-The CA Supreme court ruled it unconstitutional "legalizing" gay marriage in the state.
-The court was asked to stay that ruling until after an election just months away. Prop 8 was on the ballot. They declined thereby setting up a precarious situation of the Prop 8 passed. No one thought it would.
-Prop 8 passed by a majority vote placing the precise language of Prop 22 into the Constitution and out of the reach of judicial "interpretation".
-Gay activists brought the Perry case to a gay federal judge who ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional at the federal level. It was no accident the case was taken up in that district.
-The uber liberal 9th circuit upheld the gay judges ruling (no surprise).
With all that said, do you really think the SCOTUS will allow the Constitutional process in a state to be over-ruled by the legal wranglings of gay activists? I don't think they will. A lot is said about shifting public opinion but at the end of the day would the court not see this as a state's rights vs feds issue? Marriage laws are defined at the state level. Always have been.
In any case, I must admit it really doesn't matter. If Prop 8 is upheld it will simply be voted on again every two years until its repealed.
Am I wrong?
You are right. Prop 8 has a short half-life. It might be 1 year. It might be three years. But it is going away by the end of President Obama's second term.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you're not wrong about the voting to repeal Prop 8 IF and that's a big IF SCOTUS should rule it Constitutional, BUT I believe that SCOTUS is specifically looking at the Prop 8 case with regards to the Article 3 Standing issue and if they rule that the proponents of Prop 8 did not have standing, then they will more than likely overturn the 9th's ruling and uphold Judge Walker's ruling, but I'm pretty certain that there will be PLENTY of speculation on how SCOTUS will rule between now and June of 2013.
Yes, there is plenty of speculation, and I may not be qualified to speculate. Then again, we have the brightest legal minds in the country at AFER certain that our side will win both cases, and we have NOM and their side absolutely certain that their side will win both cases. So it seems like my unqualified opinion might be just as good as anyone's.

What I worry is that these two cases were taken as a means to expand state's rights. From that view, SCOTUS might very well rule that CA citizens have the right to define their constitution withot interference from the federal government. They might simultaneously rule that the right of states to define marriage binds the federal government--or not.

Personally, I don't think the majority of SCOTUS will be impressed by the Romer precedent. Romer was overturned because it was too broad, taking away the right of a minority to even request rights and protections from the state. Whereas Prop 8 took away specifically the right to marriage but left GLBT's free to (successfully) pursue substantially all the rights and benefits thereof, the parallel is weak.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...all true. Yet another way to tell events is more like this:
-Prop 22 passed by a majority vote.
-The CA Supreme court ruled it unconstitutional "legalizing" gay marriage in the state.
-The court was asked to stay that ruling until after an election just months away. Prop 8 was on the ballot. They declined thereby setting up a precarious situation of the Prop 8 passed. No one thought it would.
-Prop 8 passed by a majority vote placing the precise language of Prop 22 into the Constitution and out of the reach of judicial "interpretation".
-Gay activists brought the Perry case to a gay federal judge who ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional at the federal level. It was no accident the case was taken up in that district.
-The uber liberal 9th circuit upheld the gay judges ruling (no surprise).
Am I wrong?
The reason it was before the 9th was that it occurred in California, the jurisdiction of the 9th. They had no where else to go.

But the rest is essentially factual. Yet do you really want equal fundamental rights to be dependant on popular opinion? When you are the majority, it may be easy to say yes. If you were the minority, you might be better able to understand equal rights of a minority should never depend on popular opinion.

The U.S. Supreme Court said: "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is plenty of speculation, and I may not be qualified to speculate. Then again, we have the brightest legal minds in the country at AFER certain that our side will win both cases, and we have NOM and their side absolutely certain that their side will win both cases. So it seems like my unqualified opinion might be just as good as anyone's.
What I worry is that these two cases were taken as a means to expand state's rights. From that view, SCOTUS might very well rule that CA citizens have the right to define their constitution withot interference from the federal government. They might simultaneously rule that the right of states to define marriage binds the federal government--or not.
Personally, I don't think the majority of SCOTUS will be impressed by the Romer precedent. Romer was overturned because it was too broad, taking away the right of a minority to even request rights and protections from the state. Whereas Prop 8 took away specifically the right to marriage but left GLBT's free to (successfully) pursue substantially all the rights and benefits thereof, the parallel is weak.
As I stated to We The Sheeple and have been saying for the last 4 years.......Prop 8 will NOT be upheld by SCOTUS because of the simple fact that there are 18,000 still legally married Same-Sex Couples, whose marriages remained legal, valid and recognized in spite of the passage of Prop 8......and to simply tell other Same-Sex Couples that they were to late because they didn't marry before the passage of Prop 8......would be a clear violation of their Due Process and Equal Protection.

I also believe that had the CSSC not been wishy-washy between the re Marriage ruling in May of 2008 and the Strauss vs Horton ruling in May of 2009.......this matter would have already been resolved.

I do believe that SCOTUS has ruled in the past on the rights of individual Americans and I don't really see this changing........and if it does, well then everything I believe and have fought for would mean that this Country doesn't care about our Constitution any more and that would be incredibly sad!!!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

There is no fundamental right to redefine marriage to satisfy sexual predilection.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
There is no fundamental right to redefine marriage to satisfy sexual predilection.
Then it's a good thing that Marriage isn't be redefined......all it is doing is being INCLUSIVE instead of EXCLUSIVE!!!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Same sex marriage is gender segregation marriage. Until the 21st Century, all written laws defined marriage as gender diverse.

You're mom and dad were inclusive when you were conceived, those unique relationships always exclude same sex couples. Don't blame others for natural law.

There is no gender equality right in the Constitution; just the opposite. The Constitution gives us all personal freedom but nobody; not even a state has the right to define marriage as two men or two women.

Things will get interesting when the US Supreme Court hears same sex marriage cases.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well first of all I am very disappointed in you Lulu! Resorting to name calling is beneath you. Where is the love and tolerance? Shame on you.
And second, you clearly have no desire to learn about legal history. Take 5 minutes on Google. Or try taking a trip to Washington DC. Scripture is inscribed in the walls of the buildings and monuments.
I am sure you know about Moses holding the Ten Commandments at the Supreme Court building.
I gave up on Christianity after meeting all these phony baloney make believe Judgmental Christians here on Topix. You have no idea what a fundamental right is. Excuse me. Are you saying that buildings are part of the Constitution upon which our laws are based?

You must be kidding.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Communist!
Name calling?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage is gender segregation marriage. Until the 21st Century, all written laws defined marriage as gender diverse.
You're mom and dad were inclusive when you were conceived, those unique relationships always exclude same sex couples. Don't blame others for natural law.
There is no gender equality right in the Constitution; just the opposite. The Constitution gives us all personal freedom but nobody; not even a state has the right to define marriage as two men or two women.
Things will get interesting when the US Supreme Court hears same sex marriage cases.
Actually A STATE DOES HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFINE MARRIAGE ANY WAY THEY WANT TO.......you might want to read the 10th Amendment!!!

Because the 2 cases already having rulings from the lower courts, all that will be said is what has already been said......in the Prop 8 case, the proponents have already lost in 2 previous court rulings and there will be nothing new in their argument as to why Prop 8 should remain........but we will know soon enough!!!

“Trolls are Clueless”

Aptos, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually A STATE DOES HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFINE MARRIAGE ANY WAY THEY WANT TO.......you might want to read the 10th Amendment!!!
Because the 2 cases already having rulings from the lower courts, all that will be said is what has already been said......in the Prop 8 case, the proponents have already lost in 2 previous court rulings and there will be nothing new in their argument as to why Prop 8 should remain........but we will know soon enough!!!
There needs to be a point of law under discussion that in the Court's opinion, needs to be addressed further. I believe they will address the issue of standing.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Whatever way a state defines something it still has to pass muster with the Supreme Law of the land. States have made all kinds of laws that didn't stand up to scrutiny of Constitution and Federal Law. So it will be with gays trying to co-op the word marriage from male and female joinings.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Whatever way a state defines something it still has to pass muster with the Supreme Law of the land. States have made all kinds of laws that didn't stand up to scrutiny of Constitution and Federal Law. So it will be with gays trying to co-op the word marriage from male and female joinings.
Marriage is simply the joining of two entities. What you are saying makes no sense at all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
DOMA is about to be dumped. Without DOMA, the tenth amendment leaves it up to the states. According to the Fourteenth, federal laws and fundamental citizenship rights need equal protection. End of game. You lose.

Gee, what will you whine about after that?

Since: Apr 10

Gabon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe you people say that, and then have the juevos to talk about the "sanctity" of marriage. Send your sister or daughter over for me to marry. I'm sure she would LOVE to marry a man that is not attracted to her. I'm sure our marriage would demonstrate the "ideal" of two people forced together who have no interest in one another.
Why would you put a gay man with a straight woman? That isn't going to bring happiness to EITHER of them. Marriage needs to be protected from YOU people, before you start bringing back ARRANGED marriages.
<quoted text>
They do in 6 US states, the DC, 2 US tribes and about a dozen nations around the world, with more locations joining all the time. You are not the one doing the "combining", so you have no power to tell people what combinations they may pursue.
<quoted text>
Not if you PAID me. The bible is completely irrelevant to this discussion. If I checked the bible, I would find rampant polygamy, concubines, daughters being SOLD to their husbands... that book is NOT a good guide for modern living.
<quoted text>
No, it's because dogs, cats and horses can't sign legal consent forms. Why do you people always have such difficulty distinguishing between animals and humans?
<quoted text>
Gay men belong with gay men, and lesbians belong with lesbians. Any other combinations for them is disrespectful to their humanity (not to mention disrespectful to their mis-matched partner).
<quoted text>
"Sin" is a fantasy concept, unrelated to the real world. Our Constitution doesn't forbid "sin", it doesn't mention it at all. In fact, it gives me the right to IGNORE your religious concepts entirely, and build a life without them.
If you think something is sinful, you're free to avoid it. But nothing gives you the right to make that decision for someone else.
And all of your excuses don't cover up the fact that this is STILL humans mistreating humans for poor, poor reasons.
SATAN exists and it's because of him than such animosity is found in the humanity.God condemned personally those sins by a big fire;this is HOW he punished SODOME and GHOMORRE(the entire world is starting to look like that too);now you have scientists that deny the GOD existence(SATAN's puppets and Illuminati members)to make lost all those that will believe their theories of big bang...cuz if you believe that GOD don't exist then you will do impure and non natural things like to f.ck a dog or a people of the same sex as yourself.SCIENCE was created by FRANCS macons and all Illuminati members to serve SATAN who wants to bring the entire humanity with him.SATAN is everywhere: in the governments,in the industries,in the churches,in the Science;he is everywhere because GOD damned the humanity to be tempted by SATAN until the day he will comes back to judge his world.YOU are warned.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

bourobou prince wrote:
<quoted text>SATAN exists and it's because of him than such animosity is found in the humanity.God condemned personally those sins by a big fire;this is HOW he punished SODOME and GHOMORRE(the entire world is starting to look like that too);now you have scientists that deny the GOD existence(SATAN's puppets and Illuminati members)to make lost all those that will believe their theories of big bang...cuz if you believe that GOD don't exist then you will do impure and non natural things like to f.ck a dog or a people of the same sex as yourself.SCIENCE was created by FRANCS macons and all Illuminati members to serve SATAN who wants to bring the entire humanity with him.SATAN is everywhere: in the governments,in the industries,in the churches,in the Science;he is everywhere because GOD damned the humanity to be tempted by SATAN until the day he will comes back to judge his world.YOU are warned.
Thanks for sharing your fantasies with us.

How long have you been under this delusion?

Gabon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is simply the joining of two entities. What you are saying makes no sense at all.
Marriage was ordered by GOD to avoid the fornication...and GOD gave that to two creatures of opposite sex.This is why you can't have a baby with the union of two peoples of the same sex.Fornication is the union of two peoples of opposite sex out of the marriage link; today we have fornication from two peoples of same sex and since SATAN is trying to make rise the anger of GOD toward humanity,he uses his pastors and presidents to confirm the acceptance of the homosexual marriage...this earth will go down to a big hole and GOD will show his power the day when all humans would become worst than animals.YOU are warned.

Gabon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Homosexuality is an abomination in the GOD's eyes but a big weapon of SATAN in his will to bring many humans with him in the hell.ALL those pastors and the VATICAN that accepted to marry two peoples of the same sex are about to be hardly treated by GOD.Satan is everywhere and he uses all those that deny GOD to make 'em corrupt the societies and the new world order is working with all that.ONE day Illuminati will create the One world government and I guess SATAN would be the president;to prepare the strike against Jesus that will come to destroy all authorities and all their influences.GOD would come after to judge all of us.YOU are all warned.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,121 - 8,140 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••