Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9647 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

Mona Lott

West New York, NJ

#8086 Nov 11, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Lay off the stupid pills.
It's way too late for that.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#8087 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh ya...the Ninth Circuit!
Let's not forget the first and second circuit appeals courts have ruled DOMA unconstitutional. Ultimately, the decision is up to the Supreme Court in all cases, making the charge of "liberal bias" irrelevant. Irrational prejudice is all you have to support discrimination.

“As irrational prejudice plainly never constitutes a legitimate government interest, this court must hold that Section 3 of DOMA as applied to Plaintiffs violates the equal protection principles embodied in the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution.”(Gill)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8088 Nov 11, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh but I just did. That is what shut you down and why you are not pursuing your previous course. Come on...just admit it.
Legend in your own mind much?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#8089 Nov 12, 2012
We'll see.

Location hidden

#8090 Nov 12, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
We'll see.
How's your anti-gay marriage campain going Brian?

PORTLAND, Ore.(RNS) Three states made history Tuesday (Nov. 6) voting to approve same-sex marriage, and a fourth repudiated an attempt to ban it.

Oregon, once known as a trailblazer for progressive causes, wasn't among them. But that could change in 2014.

Local gay rights activists stand by a decision they made a year ago not to pursue a marriage ballot measure this year because the timing wasn't right.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/11/oreg...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#8091 Nov 13, 2012
I'm not anti-gay, I oppose the redefinition of marriage. I'm sorry you can't understand the difference.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#8092 Nov 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I'm not anti-gay, I oppose the redefinition of marriage. I'm sorry you can't understand the difference.
And I'm sorry that you can't grasp that Marriage Equality is happening and this time at the ballot box:-)

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8093 Nov 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I'm sorry you can't grasp that no one's redefining marriage. We didn't redefine "soldier" when we opened the military to both genders, did we?
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#8094 Nov 13, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Nope never liked Seinfeld. I preferred Frazier. More cerebral and a lot less pointless.
So you're a guy and not a woman?
Interesting screen name then.
A straight guy posing as a bisexual female.
Nicely done.
hey, is gender irrelevant or not?
just consistency,that's all i ask.
so, does it matter I am REALLY a man?

frasier is as much slapstick as it is cerebral and you know it...
Mona Lott

West New York, NJ

#8095 Nov 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I'm sorry you think there's a difference.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8096 Nov 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Yeah, you're not anti-gay, just so long as gays don't get uppity and remain satisfied with their lot in life, remain in their place.

Location hidden

#8097 Nov 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Your hateful stand against same sex marriage proves you are anti-gay.

You MUST be kidding.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8098 Nov 14, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Wanting to harm gay families, and their kids,is about as anti-gay as a person can get.

If I were to have the power to nullify all marriages for blue eyed people, would you consider my act to be harmful to them?

It what ways would such an act hurt the families involved?
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#8099 Nov 14, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanting to harm gay families, and their kids,is about as anti-gay as a person can get.
If I were to have the power to nullify all marriages for blue eyed people, would you consider my act to be harmful to them?
It what ways would such an act hurt the families involved?
If blue eyed marriages were offered but called blue partnerships, who gives a F$#%^&Ck?

your are focused on the name marriage so how about you accept that you gambled your family's rights just for the name...

so you opted to harm your family for your own obsession with sameness as opposed to your claimed mission of equality...

an reducing all opposition to you as hate is simplistic and factually wrong. Its the EXACT same as people saying all gays are sexual deviants...

don't forget, you currently have the right to live with, love, boink, adopt, etc...
its just some tax breaks and a NAME you seek...

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8100 Nov 14, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
If blue eyed marriages were offered but called blue partnerships, who gives a F$#%^&Ck?
your are focused on the name marriage so how about you accept that you gambled your family's rights just for the name...
so you opted to harm your family for your own obsession with sameness as opposed to your claimed mission of equality...
an reducing all opposition to you as hate is simplistic and factually wrong. Its the EXACT same as people saying all gays are sexual deviants...
don't forget, you currently have the right to live with, love, boink, adopt, etc...
its just some tax breaks and a NAME you seek...
Was it just a tax break and a NAME that you sought when you got married? If that's all it was, you could have married just about anyone, without regard for love or feelings.

What if the blue-eyed people voted to call their partnerships "marriage," but voted to call the brown-eyed peoples' marriages "Brown-eyed partnerships." Would that be fair.

YOU are the one hung up on the word "marriage." Marriage is two unrelated people who have chosen to be legally recognized as life partners. Period.
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#8101 Nov 14, 2012
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it just a tax break and a NAME that you sought when you got married? If that's all it was, you could have married just about anyone, without regard for love or feelings.
What if the blue-eyed people voted to call their partnerships "marriage," but voted to call the brown-eyed peoples' marriages "Brown-eyed partnerships." Would that be fair.
YOU are the one hung up on the word "marriage." Marriage is two unrelated people who have chosen to be legally recognized as life partners. Period.
If I got the rights, I wouldn't give a crud what it was CALLED...
I got married because I wanted to have legitimate children raised the most stable way...
so I ask you, if EVERYONE got a civil partnership equally, would you agree to that and let only the religious ceremonies use the name marriage?

as to YOUR definition of marriage:

why TWO? Why not 5?

why unrelated?(is it procreational concerns?)

why LIFE partners? it doesn't say commitment on any license...
AND many marriages are not life partners, so what makes you think that is relevant?

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8102 Nov 14, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
If I got the rights, I wouldn't give a crud what it was CALLED...
I got married because I wanted to have legitimate children raised the most stable way...
so I ask you, if EVERYONE got a civil partnership equally, would you agree to that and let only the religious ceremonies use the name marriage?
as to YOUR definition of marriage:
why TWO? Why not 5?
why unrelated?(is it procreational concerns?)
why LIFE partners? it doesn't say commitment on any license...
AND many marriages are not life partners, so what makes you think that is relevant?
So why do you give a crud if it's called marriage if two gays or lesbians get married?
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#8103 Nov 14, 2012
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
So why do you give a crud if it's called marriage if two gays or lesbians get married?
I am asking if you would sacrifice the name for the rights...would you GIVE the name to the religious so that you could have the same legal institution as straights with the same name...just not marriage...

well?

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#8104 Nov 14, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
I am asking if you would sacrifice the name for the rights...would you GIVE the name to the religious so that you could have the same legal institution as straights with the same name...just not marriage...
well?
There is no need for that. For example, we have Catholic Marriage. The Catholic Church doesn't recognize Protestant Marriage. Religious institutions are free to discriminate any way they wish and define marriage on their own terms. They are not free to make their doctrine binding on the rest of us.

Get it?
Mona Lott

West New York, NJ

#8105 Nov 14, 2012
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
He cares because he lost in his own State and he feels impotent. He thinks religion owns the TradeMark on the word marriage and he HATES being wrong. Instead of admitting a mistake, he attempts to change the argument, thinking no one will notice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 min Frankie Rizzo 49,456
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 23 min Frankie Rizzo 25,667
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 59 min Captain Underpants 6,159
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 1 hr guest 1,673
Thanks BIG BOSS MAN 1 hr Rudy 3
News 1 step forward, 2 steps back for LBGT rights in... 1 hr Captain Underpants 7
News Two men caned 83 times at Indonesian mosque for... 2 hr Jay _ the ICON 38
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 4 hr Imprtnrd 41
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 12 hr NE Qbert 69,531
More from around the web