Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9647 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#7502 Oct 10, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
Unlike what you're doing by coming on here trying to get free advertising for your blog?
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7503 Oct 11, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike what you're doing by coming on here trying to get free advertising for your blog?
I hope you didn't click on her links. I made the mistake of doing that once. Glad I have good virus protection software.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7504 Oct 11, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike what you're doing by coming on here trying to get free advertising for your blog?
Does anyone care about that stupid blog?

Location hidden

#7506 Oct 11, 2012
Aliciabanks + scroll button

Aliciabanks doesn't exist.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7507 Oct 11, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you didn't click on her links. I made the mistake of doing that once. Glad I have good virus protection software.
No, I didn't click on her links. I have no interest in her blog. If I wanted to read what a nut case has to say I'd go on Facebook and visit Sarah Palin's page.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7508 Oct 11, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone care about that stupid blog?
Actually I was tempted to report her for violation of the TOS (advertising).
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7509 Oct 11, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>No, I didn't click on her links. I have no interest in her blog. If I wanted to read what a nut case has to say I'd go on Facebook and visit Sarah Palin's page.
hahahaha
ahahahahah

Location hidden

#7510 Oct 12, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I was tempted to report her for violation of the TOS (advertising).
Why bother? Nobody is going to read her stupid blog.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#7511 Oct 13, 2012
Vote to keep marriage one man and one woman.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#7512 Oct 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Why would any sane person vote to harm families and kids?

There should always be a rational reason to deny equal protection under the law to any group of citizens. Do you have a rational reason for this type of vote?

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#7514 Oct 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
The only people who vote to get rid of one man one women marriages are people like you who divorce.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7515 Oct 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
You really should be a bit more specific and honest as well.

In most cases the question on the ballot isn't about making SSM legal but instead changing State Constitutions to enshrine bigotry and discrimination into them. In Minnesota SSM is already illegal.

That was the case in most States that passed DOMA laws that changed the State Constitution.

If it's already illegal in your State then ask yourself why the people who are sponsoring the ballot initiative want to waste more tax dollars on something that was already decided.

Such was the case for Maryland for many years. SSM was illegal by State law. This year the State Legislators voted to repeal that law and grant SSM the same status as heterosexual marriage.

What is on the ballot there is a question to repeal the new SSM law.

I'm addressing this part to anyone besides Brian G who might be reading this. Please check what you are voting on. Don't go by slogans like what Brian used above.

I know a lot of people who voted against Amendments to State Constitutions because they knew it wasn't a question of keeping SSM illegal because the vote wasn't about approving of SSM, because SSM was already illegal. It was a sneaky way to change the State Constitutions and enshrine discrimination into them.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7516 Oct 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Another divorced straight guy trying to sell the "sanctity of marriage" line. In a few years we're going to be able to see the side by side comparisons of divorce rates between gays/lesbians and heterosexuals. Heck we already have reliable stats from States like Massachusetts and countries like Canada and others.

And guess what. The number of divorces is slightly lower on the GLBT community's side.

Minnesota has had SSM banned for years now. They are voting on a Constitutional Amendment this year. But here's the kicker. For the first time in that State's history, unmarried people outnumber married people. I don't think changing the State Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying is going to improve the number of new marriages by heterosexuals there.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7517 Oct 13, 2012
Off topic but I've noticed a disturbing trend on Topix over the last 3 weeks.

More and more of the regular anti gay posters are now hiding their ISP location. These same people have in the past actually told others they should keep their opinions to themselves because the didn't live in the State the story was about.

Guess they not only don't want people they live next to to be able to find out they signed a petition they want to hide even in cyberspace.

If they really believed in their cause and that God is behind them why are they hiding? What are they afraid of? Is it really the cause they care about or their own jobs and money?

Location hidden

#7518 Oct 13, 2012
DNF wrote:
Off topic but I've noticed a disturbing trend on Topix over the last 3 weeks.
More and more of the regular anti gay posters are now hiding their ISP location. These same people have in the past actually told others they should keep their opinions to themselves because the didn't live in the State the story was about.
Guess they not only don't want people they live next to to be able to find out they signed a petition they want to hide even in cyberspace.
If they really believed in their cause and that God is behind them why are they hiding? What are they afraid of? Is it really the cause they care about or their own jobs and money?
They are afraid of their own shadows.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7519 Oct 13, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people who vote to get rid of one man one women marriages are people like you who divorce.
can I get a BAZINGA?

lol

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7520 Oct 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When government recognizes two men as a married couple, the law says a wife is irrelevant to that marriage. By extension, if a child is in custody of that 'married' couple, the law would say a mother is irrelevant to that family. Put another way, same sex marriage means a black father is irrelevant in a black family and a black wife is irrelevant in a black marriage.
I'm glad that's' finally cleared up.
Now for MY campaign AD:

The following eight guiding principles underlie our call to action. In order to achieve full civil rights now, we avow:

Full civil rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals must be enacted now. Delay and excuses are no longer acceptable.

We will not leave any part of our community behind.

Separate is never equal.

Religious beliefs are not a basis upon which to affirm or deny civil rights.

The establishment and guardianship of full civil rights is a non-partisan issue.

Individual involvement and grassroots action are paramount to success and must be encouraged.

Success is measured by the civil rights we all achieve, not by words, access or money raised.

Those who seek our support are expected to commit to these principles.

Being united by common principles and engaging in united action, we will achieve the following goals:

DIGNITY AND EQUALITY. Every lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender person has inherent dignity and worth, and has the right to live free of discrimination and harassment.

FAMILY. Every LGBT person has the right to a family without legal barriers to immigration, civil marriage or raising children.

ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY. Every LGBT person has the right to economic opportunity free from discrimination in employment, public housing, accommodation, public utilities, credit, and federally funded programs and activities.

EDUCATION. Every LGBT child and youth has the right to an education that is affirming, inclusive and free from bullying.

NATIONAL SECURITY. Every LGBT person should have the opportunity to serve our country openly and equally in our military and foreign service.

CRIME. Every LGBT person should enjoy life protected against bias crimes.

HEALTH CARE. Every person should have access to affordable, high quality, and culturally competent health care without discrimination.

CALL TO ACTION
1. We demand that government officials act now to achieve full civil rights without delay.
2. Our organizations and individuals need to develop a collaborative and revolutionary new organizing model that mobilizes millions of supporters through emerging web and phone technologies.
3. All LGBT individuals must accept personal responsibility to do everything within their power for equality and should get involved in the movement by volunteering, giving and being out.
4. We will hold elected officials and our organizations accountable for being transparent and achieving full civil rights by active participation when possible and active opposition when necessary.
5. Our allies need to be proactive in public support for full civil rights.
6. Every government measure that quantifies the US citizenry must permit LGBT individuals to self-identify and be counted in every way citizens are counted.
7. We demand that the media present LGBT lives in fair, accurate and objective ways that neither include nor give credence to unsubstantiated, discriminatory claims and opinions

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7521 Oct 13, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Now for MY campaign AD:
The following eight guiding principles underlie our call to action. In order to achieve full civil rights now, we avow:
Full civil rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals must be enacted now. Delay and excuses are no longer acceptable.
Separate is never equal.
The establishment and guardianship of full civil rights is a non-partisan issue.
Individual involvement and grassroots action are paramount to success and must be encouraged.
Success is measured by the civil rights we all achieve, not by words, access or money raised.
Being united by common principles and engaging in united action, we will achieve the following goals:
DIGNITY AND EQUALITY. Every lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender person has inherent dignity and worth, and has the right to live free of discrimination and harassment.
FAMILY. Every LGBT person has the right to a family without legal barriers to immigration, civil marriage or raising children.
ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY. Every LGBT person has the right to economic opportunity free from discrimination in employment, public housing, accommodation, public utilities, credit, and federally funded programs and activities.
EDUCATION. Every LGBT child and youth has the right to an education that is affirming, inclusive and free from bullying.
NATIONAL SECURITY. Every LGBT person should have the opportunity to serve our country openly and equally in our military and foreign service.
HEALTH CARE. Every person should have access to affordable, high quality, and culturally competent health care without discrimination.
CALL TO ACTION
1. We demand that government officials act now to achieve full civil rights without delay.
2. Our organizations and individuals need to develop a collaborative and revolutionary new organizing model that mobilizes millions of supporters through emerging web and phone technologies.
3. All LGBT individuals must accept personal responsibility to do everything within their power for equality and should get involved in the movement by volunteering, giving and being out.
4. We will hold elected officials and our organizations accountable for being transparent and achieving full civil rights by active participation when possible and active opposition when necessary.
6. Every government measure that quantifies the US citizenry must permit LGBT individuals to self-identify and be counted in every way citizens are counted.
7. We demand that the media present LGBT lives in fair, accurate and objective ways that neither include nor give credence to unsubstantiated, discriminatory claims and opinions

Location hidden

#7522 Oct 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Now for MY campaign AD:
Separate is never equal.
CALL TO ACTION

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#7523 Oct 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Now if the words "gay and lesbian" were changed to "African American" or "Hispanic", I wonder how many people would claim we aren't fighting for the same goals they are.
To me it seems the goal is the same. Equal rights and dignity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr cpeter1313 57,983
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 hr cpeter1313 14,239
Happy Thanksgiving!!! 5 hr Brother Bubba 1
News This Is the Gayest Thing I've Ever Seen 5 hr Howard 1
News Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling (Nov '14) 6 hr BangmoPopoPedos 184
News Facebook can tell if you're gay based on a few ... 6 hr Howard 1
Hey Jade! 6 hr Sow Belly 2
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 10 hr Trix 26,531
News This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for being born gay 12 hr Frankie Rizzo 49
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 18 hr Frankie Rizzo 112
More from around the web