Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments
6,981 - 7,000 of 9,656 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2013

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider to be "homosexuality acceptance"?
Kindergartners do have Same-Sex Parents, right? They have friends who know their parents, right? Exactly what is the real issue you have? Because I don't believe ANYONE is teaching them to accept homosexuals per say.......as it is to accept and respect those who are different.
He thinks teaching little 5 year olds that gays and lesbians exist might somehow persuade them to want to be gay. It's understandable since 5 year olds see Mommy and Daddy and often imitate that by playing house, having baby dolls, etc.

But if we frame it a little differently we get:

Teaching 5 year olds about the Catholic Church and how Maryland was the first colony to "accept" Catholics will undoubtedly lead to every child wanting to become a priest or a nun.

See how "reasonable" THAT is "Waterboarder"?

And God forbid we teach Black History Month to Kindergarteners. Who know what will happen then?

Heck for that matter we better not teach them about Hispanic History Month. They'd all want to speak with funny accents if we did that!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
No, that's not true.........Same-Sex Couples getting married won't have any affect on ALL mothers being irrelevant or ALL fathers being irrelevant.......that's nothing more than a false statement.
When government recognizes two men as a married couple, the law says a wife is irrelevant to that marriage. By extension, if a child is in custody of that 'married' couple, the law would say a mother is irrelevant to that family. Put another way, same sex marriage means a black father is irrelevant in a black family and a black wife is irrelevant in a black marriage.

I'm glad that's' finally cleared up.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't allow me and my family that right than you can't expect me to respect yours.
Wow we finally agree on something.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Discussing Gay and Lesbian families DOESN'T have anything to do with human sexuality, any more than discussing a heterosexual family has anything to do with human sexuality!!!
And how is discussing the family life about human sexuality?
Kids are being taught that other types of families exist.......they aren't discussing anything sexual......that would be your mind going into the gutter!!!
We do live in a diversified society and there are many different types of family make-ups!!!
You're speaking to a wall.

"Waterboarder" doesn't want to admit that all that he's whining about is also taught in age appropriate manners.

He's perfectly happy seeing little girls playing with dolls and having tea parties together. It's when he's forced to see them as adults that may not be what he expected that he gets freaked out.

Funny thing is he keeps talking about HIS rights and HIS family.
I don't blame him. Except he wants HIS rights and HIS family given preference over everyone else's. The exact thing he doesn't want people to do to him.

He calls us selfish for wanting to protect our families.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
- Oscar Wilde

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>He thinks teaching little 5 year olds that gays and lesbians exist might somehow persuade them to want to be gay. It's understandable since 5 year olds see Mommy and Daddy and often imitate that by playing house, having baby dolls, etc.
But if we frame it a little differently we get:
Teaching 5 year olds about the Catholic Church and how Maryland was the first colony to "accept" Catholics will undoubtedly lead to every child wanting to become a priest or a nun.
See how "reasonable" THAT is "Waterboarder"?
And God forbid we teach Black History Month to Kindergarteners. Who know what will happen then?
Heck for that matter we better not teach them about Hispanic History Month. They'd all want to speak with funny accents if we did that!
Excellent point:-)

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...there we have it.....
You don't need to protect my children from me. And you have no right.
Now where have I herad that line before?

Oh Yeah I remember now:

man kills son because he thought he was gay
https://www.google.com/search...

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

oops:
"heard"

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When government recognizes two men as a married couple, the law says a wife is irrelevant to that marriage. By extension, if a child is in custody of that 'married' couple, the law would say a mother is irrelevant to that family. Put another way, same sex marriage means a black father is irrelevant in a black family and a black wife is irrelevant in a black marriage.
To their particular family....NOT to all families!!!

The law is not saying one thing or the other.....YOU are. Kids are raised everyday without either a mother or father in their lives, but that doesn't mean that they don't have an opposite-sex role model in their life.

Your extreme comments are nothing more than fear mongering false statements!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>You're speaking to a wall.
"Waterboarder" doesn't want to admit that all that he's whining about is also taught in age appropriate manners.
He's perfectly happy seeing little girls playing with dolls and having tea parties together. It's when he's forced to see them as adults that may not be what he expected that he gets freaked out.
Funny thing is he keeps talking about HIS rights and HIS family.
I don't blame him. Except he wants HIS rights and HIS family given preference over everyone else's. The exact thing he doesn't want people to do to him.
He calls us selfish for wanting to protect our families.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
- Oscar Wilde
I totally understand.....but little girls shouldn't be required to just play with dolls, have tea parties and play dress up......they should be able to play with cars, have campouts and be able to get dirty just like any boy can........it won't make them become Lesbians........just like playing with dolls, dress up, cooking toys will not make a boy become Gay..........yet, people like him probably believe it will and that's sad!!!!

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you make an ASSumption that has not been presented as evidence.
I'm not sure I would classify myself as a political activist and I'm not sure what the Gay Lobby agenda is that you speak of..........but with that being said, I'm not against certain issues being addressed in the public school system as long as it is age appropriate and doesn't cross the line into a sexual discussion especially one that misrepresents the facts!!!
He hasn't figured out that not every gay and lesbian is a card carrying member of every gay and lesbian organization that exists.

Just like not every Christian is a card carrying member of the "God appointed me to keep lists of sins for everybody" chosen few.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When government recognizes two men as a married couple, the law says a wife is irrelevant to that marriage. By extension, if a child is in custody of that 'married' couple, the law would say a mother is irrelevant to that family. Put another way, same sex marriage means a black father is irrelevant in a black family and a black wife is irrelevant in a black marriage.
Care to add the term "divorce" to the equation you outlined above? Or would that destroy your whole fear based campaign?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>He hasn't figured out that not every gay and lesbian is a card carrying member of every gay and lesbian organization that exists.
Just like not every Christian is a card carrying member of the "God appointed me to keep lists of sins for everybody" chosen few.
Boy, ain't that the truth......lol!!!

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!! This is my favorite part! I have reposted it several times! This is the clearest example on the whole site about the agenda of these people. Allow me to repost their finest moment:
"A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code."
Think about how ridiculous this is. Discussing gays and gay families "does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life"? Really? On what planet?
So the law says parents need to be notified when the schools want to discuss sexuality and family life. These guys simply declare that discussing gay families is that at all...and no parental notification is necessary! Gee...no agenda here!
Actually, in the code it's "Sexuality and family life education".
http://pubs.cde.ca.gov/tcsii/ch8/sxualtyfamly...
WaterBoarder wrote:
THESE PEOPLE WANT TO TEACH OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN THERE IDEAS ABOUT SEXUALITY WITH OR WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT!
Teaching that there are gay couples is hardly teaching about sexuality.
WaterBoarder wrote:
Get it? This is my main point. Allow gay marriage and these fascists will have even greater justification!
Non sequitur.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why bother? If SO MANY kids have gay parents and these kids have friends who are aware of the situation then what is the point at all?
The point is to teach all these little ones that being gay is normal, healthy, and moral. That way we can use the public school system to eradicate all that nasty homophobia with have in society.
Sounds like a great plan...eh?
What's wrong with that?
Being gay is normal, healthy and moral.
And it would be good to get rid of homophobia. What good does homophobia do?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Men and women are by no means equal, in law or in nature.
The 14th Amendment says all US citizens should get equal protection under the law.
Brian_G wrote:
Take the issue of abortion, only women have the right to kill their unborn, if a man tried to exercise this abortion 'right' without the consent of the women, it would be illegal.
Not if he's the one who's pregnant.
Brian_G wrote:
Only women have the experience of menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, breast nursing and menopause. Men have no equal experience, men and women are unequal.
Our rights should depend on whether we menstruate or not?
I'm never going to get knocked up. Should my rights be different from a woman who has?
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage treats people as if they are unisex. If same sex marriage is law, then the government would see a black father as irrelevant to a black family just as it would see a black wife as unimportant in a black marriage.
Non sequitur.
Brian_G wrote:
Try to think through the consequences of your radical new social policy. It won't be pretty.
What consequences?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but just as adults and children are different under the law, so are men and women.
<quoted text>There is the right to life, all life has the right to protect itself.
Slaves didn't have a right to life, stupid.
<quoted text>No, adults and children don't share the same rights, just as men and women are unequal under the law.
<quoted text>The above quote justifies 'equal protection of the laws', not gender equality. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.
14th Amendment. WTF do you think 'equal protection of the laws' of the laws means? If men have to follow different laws than women do, that's not equal protection. No way around that.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Even RnL admits, men and women have unequal life experience.
<quoted text>Romney has pledged to allow the people of D.C. decide the issue of marriage.
<quoted text>The issue isn't 'his family' or 'her marriage', the law affects everyone so the issue is all families and all marriages. Same sex marriage law would make a mother irrelevant to every family in the eyes of the law, just as it would make every husband irrelevant to every marriage. This is the consequence of creating gender blind laws.
That makes no sense at all.
Imagine you were still married. If a gay couple got married somewhere in your state, would your wife become irrelevant to you?
How long would it take? Would she instantly become irrelevant to you the moment the gay couple exchanged their vows? Would you have to know about their marriage, or would "gay rays" emanate from them that would somehow make her irrelevant?

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Brian_G wrote:
Rose's Law: Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose's Law: Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"
Followed closely by, "The biggest threat facing our nation today is..."

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Followed closely by, "The biggest threat facing our nation today is..."
LOL. So true.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••