Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments (Page 349)

Showing posts 6,961 - 6,980 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't have to handle it.....this is not a religious thread and your scriptures mean nothing to me......and I don't care how you raise your children from a particular point of view........just know that they probably have friends who are either Gay or Lesbian, if they are old enough or know kids who have Gay or Lesbian parents.......funny thing about kids......they understand more than we give them credit for:-)
Good for you......there are parents out there who don't.....so, kudos to you:-)
I think you do care how I raise my kids. You don't want me to teach my morals about sexuality because they are in conflict with yours. In society at large, this means some people may treat you poorly. Right?

The gay lobby cares too. So to fix the problem they have come up with this curriculum to teach other people's children in a effort to eradicate homophobia. And you agree with their plan...right?

Therefore, you really do care.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably from the stuff you have posted......have you ever thought of how you come across on this issue?
Yes...I know how I come across on this issue. I come across pissed off and aggressive. And I am. The audacity of the public school system and the gay lobby on this issue is simply breathtaking in my view.

It is striking to me how I can encounter people like yourself who initially cannot see or are unwilling to admit what is happening. I usually find that if I persist I will get you to admit that this "education" is actually happening, what the real goal behind it is, and that its okay in your view because you agree with it.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
Funny, you forget that when young boys go through puberty that their voice changes, they also grow hair just like girls do......men do go through mid-life crisis and other issues similar to what women go through......and personally......men can have the whole pregnancy thing........I'd love to see men handle the pain of giving birth.......lol!!!
Even RnL admits, men and women have unequal life experience.

RnL2008 wrote:
What consequences have taken place since marriage rights have been granted to Same-Sex couples in 6 states, briefly in California and in DC? What will happen when possibly new states are added after the Election?
Romney has pledged to allow the people of D.C. decide the issue of marriage.

RnL2008 wrote:
Same-Sex Couples getting married will not make a Black father irrelevant to his family or marriage nor will it make a Black mother irrelevant to her family or marriage!!!
The issue isn't 'his family' or 'her marriage', the law affects everyone so the issue is all families and all marriages. Same sex marriage law would make a mother irrelevant to every family in the eyes of the law, just as it would make every husband irrelevant to every marriage. This is the consequence of creating gender blind laws.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't have to handle it.....this is not a religious thread and your scriptures mean nothing to me......and I don't care how you raise your children from a particular point of view........just know that they probably have friends who are either Gay or Lesbian, if they are old enough or know kids who have Gay or Lesbian parents.......funny thing about kids......they understand more than we give them credit for:-)
Good for you......there are parents out there who don't.....so, kudos to you:-)
BTW...I simply pointed to some scripture in an attempt to communicate where I am coming from. Again...where "I" am coming from. I didn't ask you to adopt it. Actually, I didn't even post the words.

That is what I think you can handle. It doesn't matter if this is a religious thread or not. People like myself have the right to express our views in public places just like you do. Freedom of religious expression extends to this dark little corner of the web too!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
As a politically active gay person who agrees with the gay lobby's agenda in the public schools you are.
Again, you make an ASSumption that has not been presented as evidence.

I'm not sure I would classify myself as a political activist and I'm not sure what the Gay Lobby agenda is that you speak of..........but with that being said, I'm not against certain issues being addressed in the public school system as long as it is age appropriate and doesn't cross the line into a sexual discussion especially one that misrepresents the facts!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you do care how I raise my kids. You don't want me to teach my morals about sexuality because they are in conflict with yours. In society at large, this means some people may treat you poorly. Right?
The gay lobby cares too. So to fix the problem they have come up with this curriculum to teach other people's children in a effort to eradicate homophobia. And you agree with their plan...right?
Therefore, you really do care.
I don't know you personally and therefore I really have no issue with what you teach your kids......and how do you know what my morals are? or if yours actually do conflict with mine? Again, you are making ASSumptions you know nothing about.

Where I live, most people don't treat me or my wife with much disrespect........basically because they know us and we are part of our community.....however, there are folks who might make a comment or two, but not enough for us to give them any attention.........most of the more nastier comments have come from people in these threads and forums!!!

I care about ending hatred, bigotry, discrimination and homophobia there's no reason to hate people just because of who they are or who they love, nor because of the color of their skin or religious beliefs.........it certainly would make our society a better place to live overall.......I mean in reality we are a diversified society and though we may not always agree......there's no reason to treat to others badly just because their different or you don't agree with them.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...I know how I come across on this issue. I come across pissed off and aggressive. And I am. The audacity of the public school system and the gay lobby on this issue is simply breathtaking in my view.
It is striking to me how I can encounter people like yourself who initially cannot see or are unwilling to admit what is happening. I usually find that if I persist I will get you to admit that this "education" is actually happening, what the real goal behind it is, and that its okay in your view because you agree with it.
Well, you can continue to be pissed off and persistent all ya want.......I see what is being taught differently than you do, the only goal I believe in or know about is to make the school environment a safe haven for all student and families and to end the bullying that causes some kids to take their own life....and as far as agreeing with it.....as long as it is age appropriate and isn't getting into an area that is crossing the line.......again, I have no issues with it......but again I see it as a tolerance issue and making schools safe for every child and you see it as teaching sexuality.......that's the difference between us!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Even RnL admits, men and women have unequal life experience.
<quoted text>Romney has pledged to allow the people of D.C. decide the issue of marriage.
<quoted text>The issue isn't 'his family' or 'her marriage', the law affects everyone so the issue is all families and all marriages. Same sex marriage law would make a mother irrelevant to every family in the eyes of the law, just as it would make every husband irrelevant to every marriage. This is the consequence of creating gender blind laws.
Again Brian.......people in general have different life experiences.........yet you try and continue to make it about gender, more specifically men and women.

Well, first off......Romney needs to be elected and regardless of what pledge he signed.......he has no control over whether the people get to have a say on this issue or not!!!

No, that's not true.........Same-Sex Couples getting married won't have any affect on ALL mothers being irrelevant or ALL fathers being irrelevant.......that's nothing more than a false statement.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW...I simply pointed to some scripture in an attempt to communicate where I am coming from. Again...where "I" am coming from. I didn't ask you to adopt it. Actually, I didn't even post the words.
That is what I think you can handle. It doesn't matter if this is a religious thread or not. People like myself have the right to express our views in public places just like you do. Freedom of religious expression extends to this dark little corner of the web too!
Okay, you're coming from a Christian view point.....got it!!!

You're right....it does, but just remember that I also have freedom of religion or freedom from religion.......I try to keep my religious views out of this discussion, but am nevertheless accused of being an ungodly person just because of who I am......funny how that happens from some of your fellow loving Christians!!!

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you can continue to be pissed off and persistent all ya want.......I see what is being taught differently than you do, the only goal I believe in or know about is to make the school environment a safe haven for all student and families and to end the bullying that causes some kids to take their own life....and as far as agreeing with it.....as long as it is age appropriate and isn't getting into an area that is crossing the line.......again, I have no issues with it......but again I see it as a tolerance issue and making schools safe for every child and you see it as teaching sexuality.......that's the difference between us!!!
Oh...we were doing so well! And you have derailed to this.

Safe haven...prevent bullying and suicide...tolerance...safe schools...it all sounds great! No one can argue with any of that! And gosh...you are using all the correct terminology!

These are noble goals for sure. No serious people want any kids being hurt. But your friends don't have the right to teach other people's kids their ideas on sexuality (and some people's views sexual morality) to achieve them.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know you personally and therefore I really have no issue with what you teach your kids......
Oh come on now. You know exactly what I am talking about. Let's get back to that honesty I was talking about.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...we were doing so well! And you have derailed to this.
Safe haven...prevent bullying and suicide...tolerance...safe schools...it all sounds great! No one can argue with any of that! And gosh...you are using all the correct terminology!
These are noble goals for sure. No serious people want any kids being hurt. But your friends don't have the right to teach other people's kids their ideas on sexuality (and some people's views sexual morality) to achieve them.
Again, what friends are you referring to? Politicians? I am not aware of any of my "PERSONAL" friends teaching this stuff and seeing that I don't work for any school district or school board, nor the Department of Education........this is not a policy I suggested or implemented.......however to a degree, I don't necessarily disagree with what's being taught as long as it is age appropriate.

Sorry, you don't like the political correctness......but those are things I believe in and not because they happen to have the right terminology to them.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on now. You know exactly what I am talking about. Let's get back to that honesty I was talking about.
I am being honest.....but because you don't believe so, now you want to call me a liar........oh well, maybe we haven't gained any ground......sorry to have interacted with you.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what friends are you referring to? Politicians? I am not aware of any of my "PERSONAL" friends teaching this stuff and seeing that I don't work for any school district or school board, nor the Department of Education........this is not a policy I suggested or implemented.......however to a degree, I don't necessarily disagree with what's being taught as long as it is age appropriate.
Sorry, you don't like the political correctness......but those are things I believe in and not because they happen to have the right terminology to them.
Your "friends" are the gay lobby/politicians/educators that you agree with on this issue.

In any case, thanks for playing. I did get you to understand and acknowledge the pro-gay "education" going on in the K-12 classroom against the wishes of many parents. And you did acknowledge that you feel its appropriate simply because you agree with the message.

My mission is accomplished here.

The OC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am being honest.....but because you don't believe so, now you want to call me a liar........oh well, maybe we haven't gained any ground......sorry to have interacted with you.
Did I really call you a liar? Come on!
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

The black clergy in this country are fed-up with the denigration of Christianity, lies and the portrayal of the black community as useful idiots for political expediency by the democrat party...

Bishop E.W. Jackson says it like it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "friends" are the gay lobby/politicians/educators that you agree with on this issue.
In any case, thanks for playing. I did get you to understand and acknowledge the pro-gay "education" going on in the K-12 classroom against the wishes of many parents. And you did acknowledge that you feel its appropriate simply because you agree with the message.
My mission is accomplished here.
Not friends or even acquaintances, just people who are fighting for what they believe......and I don't necessarily agree with everything they do!!!

You haven't done anything really.......because I already told you that it was being taught but not the way you think it is!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I really call you a liar? Come on!
You may not have used the word.....but yea, ya did!!!

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>No they don't. You don't "know" anything.
The success rate for so-called "reparative therapy" are about zero.
From the available data, four studies reported a "success" rate during conversion therapy of 0.4%, 0.0%, 0.5 and 0.04%. That is, conversion therapy has a failure rate in excess of 99.5% during each study. Considering the anecdotal data which indicates a large percentage of extremely depressed and suicidal clients emerging from conversion therapy, it would appear that this form of therapy is worthless. It my well result in the death by suicide of more gays and lesbians than it "converts" to a heterosexual orientation. Unfortunately, we cannot be certain of this. The quality of the studies is extremely poor.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_exod1.h...
Even the president of Exodus International has disavowed this type of therapy as "being successful". A 99.99% failure rate isn't a highly rated peer review form of therapy by any standard.

Good lord the people that support this voodoo scince are the same people who want to "fix" healthcare!

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind...you are unreasonable and rambling.
The curriculum I linked to specifically and intentionally teaches children to accept homosexuality as normal, healthy, and moral. Many parents (spare me your disagreement) would like to deal with these very personal matters in their own home and in there own way.
Such teaching about "hetereosexuality" does not exist. Get reasonable.
I wonder if you read what you write before you hit send.

"Many parents ... would like to deal with these very personal matters in their own home and in there own way.
Such teaching about "hetereosexuality" does not exist."

Yup, "Get reasonable."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,961 - 6,980 of9,656
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••