Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 Full story: The Skanner 9,656

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Full Story

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#7434 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I don't believe ANYONE is teaching them to accept homosexuals per say.......as it is to accept and respect those who are different.
Okay...now I know you are unreasonable. You write you don't believe anyone is being taught to "accept" homosexuals? You say on the contrary they are being taught to "accept" and respect those who are "different"? Of course, EVERY story is about these different people who are gays and lesbians?

Look...you don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. All I am saying is that using the public school system to teach other people's kids their version of sexuality (and morality for that matter) against the wishes of parents is just wrong. Let each family work out these very personal matters at home.

If you can't allow me and my family that right than you can't expect me to respect yours.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7435 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!! This is my favorite part! I have reposted it several times! This is the clearest example on the whole site about the agenda of these people. Allow me to repost their finest moment:
"A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code."
Think about how ridiculous this is. Discussing gays and gay families "does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life"? Really? On what planet?
So the law says parents need to be notified when the schools want to discuss sexuality and family life. These guys simply declare that discussing gay families is that at all...and no parental notification is necessary! Gee...no agenda here!
THESE PEOPLE WANT TO TEACH OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN THERE IDEAS ABOUT SEXUALITY WITH OR WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT!
Get it? This is my main point. Allow gay marriage and these fascists will have even greater justification!
Discussing Gay and Lesbian families DOESN'T have anything to do with human sexuality, any more than discussing a heterosexual family has anything to do with human sexuality!!!

And how is discussing the family life about human sexuality?

Kids are being taught that other types of families exist.......they aren't discussing anything sexual......that would be your mind going into the gutter!!!

We do live in a diversified society and there are many different types of family make-ups!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7436 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why bother? If SO MANY kids have gay parents and these kids have friends who are aware of the situation then what is the point at all?
The point is to teach all these little ones that being gay is normal, healthy, and moral. That way we can use the public school system to eradicate all that nasty homophobia with have in society.
Sounds like a great plan...eh?
The point is that we live in a diversified society and kids need to get along with all sorts of other kids who come from different family make-ups.

Nothing wrong with ending Hatred, Bigotry, Racism or Homophobia in our communities and our society and yes, it's not a bad plan!!!

The OC

#7437 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it does.......each and every day kids are shown that being straight is somehow the only way they should be......for a kid who happens to be Gay or Lesbian.....how do you think that makes them feel?
Parents can opt out of certain subjects, but the school doesn't need to ask permission to discuss certain things.
Being Gay or Lesbian is normal and healthy and moral........even you disagree with it.....what is unhealthy is high risk sexual practices and that applies to everyone who engages in sexual activity.
I'm always amazed at how folks like you think I'm being unreasonable or ranting, especially when I throw their link and information back at them......it shows you didn't read the whole link, but only what you thought would prove your point.
As an Educator........any discussion regarding this issue would always be age appropriate and only discussed if a question was asked or someone brought something up.......personally, there is a time and place for this issue and I'd prefer it to be at home by responsible adults who took the time to educate their child on the facts instead of the fear and intimidation factors, but that isn't what you want either......you want to teach your kids how to hate others just because their different, right?
Ah...there we have it. Why would you say I want to teach my kids to hate others? On the contrary. As a Christian I teach my children to love and even DEFEND those who are being picked on. That includes gays. See John 8:1-11. But I teach them to accept gays from MY perspective...not yours.

You don't need to protect my children from me. And you have no right.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7438 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...now I know you are unreasonable. You write you don't believe anyone is being taught to "accept" homosexuals? You say on the contrary they are being taught to "accept" and respect those who are "different"? Of course, EVERY story is about these different people who are gays and lesbians?
Look...you don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. All I am saying is that using the public school system to teach other people's kids their version of sexuality (and morality for that matter) against the wishes of parents is just wrong. Let each family work out these very personal matters at home.
If you can't allow me and my family that right than you can't expect me to respect yours.
Different doesn't necessarily mean Gay or Lesbian.....when I was in elementary school, we had a kid who didn't participate in holiday stuff.......his family believed differently and we were taught to accept him, not make fun of him......so, yes......different for many reasons....not just because of being Gay or Lesbian!!!

You don't respect me or my family.......and I'm pretty certain that you would teach your children to somehow be disrespectful towards my grandchild based strictly on who they're grandparents are........again......IT'S NOT ABOUT SEXUALITY for the little ones as much as it's about respecting those who come from different situations!!!

The OC

#7439 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Discussing Gay and Lesbian families DOESN'T have anything to do with human sexuality, any more than discussing a heterosexual family has anything to do with human sexuality!!!
And how is discussing the family life about human sexuality?
Kids are being taught that other types of families exist.......they aren't discussing anything sexual......that would be your mind going into the gutter!!!
We do live in a diversified society and there are many different types of family make-ups!!!
Well first of all the law say that any discussion of sexuality AND family life needs parental notification. Certainly the curriculum I linked to qualifies for that...does it not?

The truth is these folks just don't want to have to get permission from the parents before teaching this stuff. Think about the arrogance of that. The very parents of these kids, and the people who pay the taxes that provide these salaries of these educators, don't have the right to simply be notified before this teaching occurs...even thought the law explicitly states it!

Its clear. These people want to teach other people's kids their ideas about human sexuality against the wishes of the parents. It's an effort to eradicate "homophobia". Its a noble goal. I don't want to see anyone being hurt. But it's an over-stepping of governmental authority by any reasonable person's measure.

You just happen to agree with their goals. You simply fill in the rest with whatever is convenient.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7440 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...there we have it. Why would you say I want to teach my kids to hate others? On the contrary. As a Christian I teach my children to love and even DEFEND those who are being picked on. That includes gays. See John 8:1-11. But I teach them to accept gays from MY perspective...not yours.
Please don't quote your bible verses to me......they are of little use or concern to me......obviously you teach your children to believe as you do......but what happens if one day your child comes to you and says they are Gay or Lesbian......do you love them unconditionally or try to change them?

From you perspective.......let me guess, love the sinner.....not the sin, right?

The OC

#7441 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that we live in a diversified society and kids need to get along with all sorts of other kids who come from different family make-ups.
Nothing wrong with ending Hatred, Bigotry, Racism or Homophobia in our communities and our society and yes, it's not a bad plan!!!
Okay...now I am getting some honesty out of you. You agree with the plan. The problem is you don't have the right to do it your way with other people's kids via the public school system.

Hey...all responsible people want us all to live together in peace and to respect one another. See the post below.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7442 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, how would teaching them to respect others who are different have anything to do with protecting them from you? And I'm not doing anything of the sort in the first place......you seem to want to attack me based on something you don't know......but that's par for the course from such a loving Christian like yourself.......lol!!

The OC

#7443 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't quote your bible verses to me......they are of little use or concern to me......obviously you teach your children to believe as you do......but what happens if one day your child comes to you and says they are Gay or Lesbian......do you love them unconditionally or try to change them?
From you perspective.......let me guess, love the sinner.....not the sin, right?
I told you that as a Christian myself I teach my kids from a particular point of view. That is why I quoted the Bible verse. You can handle it.

And yes...I will always love and accept my children. Period.

The OC

#7444 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Different doesn't necessarily mean Gay or Lesbian.....when I was in elementary school, we had a kid who didn't participate in holiday stuff.......his family believed differently and we were taught to accept him, not make fun of him......so, yes......different for many reasons....not just because of being Gay or Lesbian!!!
You don't respect me or my family.......and I'm pretty certain that you would teach your children to somehow be disrespectful towards my grandchild based strictly on who they're grandparents are........again......IT'S NOT ABOUT SEXUALITY for the little ones as much as it's about respecting those who come from different situations!!!
You and I were discussing the curriculum I linked to which is EXCLUSIVELY about gays and lesbians.

I can't help it if you are going to assume that I would not respect your family or "somehow" teach my kids to treat you poorly. That assumption is your problem and your responsibility.

In any case, you still have no right to push your way into the public schools and teach your ideas about sexuality - or gay families - to other people's kids. Even if you are convinced you are right and I am wrong.

The OC

#7445 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, how would teaching them to respect others who are different have anything to do with protecting them from you?
You posted this:

"personally, there is a time and place for this issue and I'd prefer it to be at home by responsible adults who took the time to educate their child on the facts instead of the fear and intimidation factors, but that isn't what you want either......you want to teach your kids how to hate others just because their different, right?"

Hate, fear, intimidation? Why would you assume such things?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7446 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you that as a Christian myself I teach my kids from a particular point of view. That is why I quoted the Bible verse. You can handle it.
And yes...I will always love and accept my children. Period.
I really don't have to handle it.....this is not a religious thread and your scriptures mean nothing to me......and I don't care how you raise your children from a particular point of view........just know that they probably have friends who are either Gay or Lesbian, if they are old enough or know kids who have Gay or Lesbian parents.......funny thing about kids......they understand more than we give them credit for:-)

Good for you......there are parents out there who don't.....so, kudos to you:-)

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7447 Oct 7, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
Of course men and women are equal under the law. You don't know what you are talking about. I challenge you to prove your assertion.
Men and women are by no means equal, in law or in nature. Take the issue of abortion, only women have the right to kill their unborn, if a man tried to exercise this abortion 'right' without the consent of the women, it would be illegal.

Only women have the experience of menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, breast nursing and menopause. Men have no equal experience, men and women are unequal.

Same sex marriage treats people as if they are unisex. If same sex marriage is law, then the government would see a black father as irrelevant to a black family just as it would see a black wife as unimportant in a black marriage.

Try to think through the consequences of your radical new social policy. It won't be pretty.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7448 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You and I were discussing the curriculum I linked to which is EXCLUSIVELY about gays and lesbians.
I can't help it if you are going to assume that I would not respect your family or "somehow" teach my kids to treat you poorly. That assumption is your problem and your responsibility.
In any case, you still have no right to push your way into the public schools and teach your ideas about sexuality - or gay families - to other people's kids. Even if you are convinced you are right and I am wrong.
You don't respect my family or me.....it's obvious by your comments.....but hey, it's okay to disagree:-)

See, that's just it....I'M NOT PERSONALLY PUSHING ANYTHING in the public schools, you make that ASSumption based on my sexual orientation.......and that's as wrong as me making the ASSumption that you would teach your kids to disrespect my grandchild just because of who they're grandparents are......see, we're both making ASSumptions that have no value to the discussion.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7449 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You posted this:
"personally, there is a time and place for this issue and I'd prefer it to be at home by responsible adults who took the time to educate their child on the facts instead of the fear and intimidation factors, but that isn't what you want either......you want to teach your kids how to hate others just because their different, right?"
Hate, fear, intimidation? Why would you assume such things?
Probably from the stuff you have posted......have you ever thought of how you come across on this issue?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#7450 Oct 7, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Aren't US citizens both men and women?
Yes, but just as adults and children are different under the law, so are men and women.

Rose_NoHo wrote:
There are no biological rights, period.
There is the right to life, all life has the right to protect itself.

Rose_NoHo wrote:
Should pre and post menopausal women have the same rights?
No, adults and children don't share the same rights, just as men and women are unequal under the law.

Rose_NoHo wrote:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
Both men and women are persons.
The above quote justifies 'equal protection of the laws', not gender equality. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#7451 Oct 7, 2012
Note during the debate, the only marriage Obama mentioned was between one man and one woman. In that debate, there was no difference between Romney's view of marriage and Obama's.

With friends like Obama and Biden, who needs homophobes?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7452 Oct 7, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Men and women are by no means equal, in law or in nature. Take the issue of abortion, only women have the right to kill their unborn, if a man tried to exercise this abortion 'right' without the consent of the women, it would be illegal.
Only women have the experience of menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, breast nursing and menopause. Men have no equal experience, men and women are unequal.
Same sex marriage treats people as if they are unisex. If same sex marriage is law, then the government would see a black father as irrelevant to a black family just as it would see a black wife as unimportant in a black marriage.
Try to think through the consequences of your radical new social policy. It won't be pretty.
Funny, you forget that when young boys go through puberty that their voice changes, they also grow hair just like girls do......men do go through mid-life crisis and other issues similar to what women go through......and personally......men can have the whole pregnancy thing........I'd love to see men handle the pain of giving birth.......lol!!!

What consequences have taken place since marriage rights have been granted to Same-Sex couples in 6 states, briefly in California and in DC? What will happen when possibly new states are added after the Election?

Same-Sex Couples getting married will not make a Black father irrelevant to his family or marriage nor will it make a Black mother irrelevant to her family or marriage!!!

The OC

#7453 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't respect my family or me.....it's obvious by your comments.....but hey, it's okay to disagree:-)
See, that's just it....I'M NOT PERSONALLY PUSHING ANYTHING in the public schools, you make that ASSumption based on my sexual orientation.......and that's as wrong as me making the ASSumption that you would teach your kids to disrespect my grandchild just because of who they're grandparents are......see, we're both making ASSumptions that have no value to the discussion.
As a politically active gay person who agrees with the gay lobby's agenda in the public schools you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 4 min Estelle 219,615
Transgender Woman Featured in New Television Ca... 13 min TerryE 15
Seoul's Mayor Apologizes for Nixing Gay Rights ... 17 min Switches 20
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 23 min Wondering 5,420
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 44 min Selecia Jones- JA... 26,659
Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town 47 min Crazy Mess 35
The sexuality pay gap: Lesbians earn 8% more th... 55 min Crazy Mess 2
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 2 hr NorCal Native 4,968
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 3 hr cpeter1313 2,818
How 2014 Was the Beginning of the End for the G... 7 hr Your blood we hope 21
More from around the web