Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 Full story: The Skanner 9,656

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Full Story

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7412 Oct 7, 2012
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
You have every right to live together and no one has said that you can not but when you attempt to impose your will upon us and attack the sacrament of marriage, than we are forced to stand up and be counted.
"The Elements of a Natural Marriage:"
1.It is a union of opposite sexes.
2.It is a lifelong union, ending only with the death of one spouse.
3.It excludes a union with any other person so long as the marriage exists.
4.Its lifelong nature and exclusiveness are guaranteed by contract.
So, even at a natural level, "homosexual marriage" is not compatible with marriage, and a lack of commitment means that no marriage has taken place.
http://catholicism.about.com/od/beliefsteachi...
I'm SO glad you provided all that info. Now who was it that founded the National Organization for Marriage?

Oh right, a DIVORCED CATHOLIC woman!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7413 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
<quoted text>
And how do you suggest a world of just gays and lesbians go about having children? If they are not having sex with the opposite sex, how are the children being created?
Hate to break it to you but gay people come from heterosexuals just like everyone else.

Your "world of just gays and lesbians" remark shows just how ridiculous you'll get to defend an indefensible position.

Banning marriage for other groups won't protect heterosexual marriages. But making divorce illegal might work.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7414 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
<quoted text>
Society is an environment, and what society does nurtures the citizens of that society. Gays having the right to marry will provide nurture to become gay. It WILL affect heterosexuality. There is nothing genetic to prevent someone from becoming gay.
Fascinating. Teaching children that certain famous people liked their own sex ill make children gay?

Does teaching Hispanic History give children funny accepts too?

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7415 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
<quoted text>
Society is an environment, and what society does nurtures the citizens of that society. Gays having the right to marry will provide nurture to become gay. It WILL affect heterosexuality. There is nothing genetic to prevent someone from becoming gay.
You're a trip. Teaching children that the name of the first openly gay elected official was Harvey Milk won't turn any child "gay".

That's like saying if we teach the history of Scotland in schools next hing you know the government wil be forcing parents to serve Haggis for Sunday dinners!
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7416 Oct 7, 2012
WelbyMD wrote:
<quoted text>OR THEY can do like Obama's church i.e. Obama benefited from Wright’s “Down Low Club,” part of a documented underground subculture in which black men who engage in homosexual activity marry to maintain respectability in public. As a young single woman, Michelle Robinson was a fixture in the home of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, who along with Rev. Jeremiah Wright “arranged” her marriage to Barack Obama.
Michelle Obama “just about grew up in Jesse Jackson’s home.”
“Jesse should have charged her rent and board for the amount of time she spent in his home instead of her own,” she said.
Jackson’s daughter, Santita, is still one of Michelle’s best friends. Santita and Jesse Jr. call her “sis,” short for “sister.”
She has known Michelle Obama since they car-pooled together as high school classmates. Santita was maid of honor at Michelle and Barack Obama’s wedding, and she is the godmother to the Obama’s older daughter, Malia.
Robyn also pointed out Jesse Jackson Jr., a Democratic Party member of the U.S. House from Illinois, served as the national co-chairman of Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign.
“It all relates back to Trinity and to the Jesse Jackson orbit of blacks here in Chicago who gave Obama legitimacy and helped him establish his identity as a black man,” Robyn explained.
www.WND.com
World Nutjob Daily?

hahahahahah
ahahahahahah
ahahahahahahaha
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7417 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
But gay marriage will affect all of us. It further opens the door for you to teach other people's kids your ideas about sexuality.
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...
Information = power.

Are you afraid your kids will figure out your secret?
Soo True

Independence, KS

#7419 Oct 7, 2012
Reproduction is required for life. For humans, like other mammals, sexual reproduction is used. Two different sexes, male and female, each contribute half their DNA to form offspring. The DNA that creates a male, or a female, creates their bodies in forms capable of passing on their DNA. The purpose of the sexual organs is for reproduction. Therefore, reproduction occurs, and there is life. Now I know some people don't understand this, and want to know where the proof is. Well, life is the proof. If the reproduction did not happen, life would cease. Look around, all life requires reproduction, there is no life without it.

Now there are people that mention sexual orientation. They say sexual orientation is genetic, and that human bodies were designed for different types of sexual orientations. Okay, people can be sexually oriented to the same sex, other animals, their self, children, or different types of machinery. Those people have just stepped away from sexual reproduction, and went to just sex. The human body was designed to have sex to reproduce (if in doubt, read first paragraph again), but as they point out, you can have sex in ways that reproduction is not a possibility.

As so many researchers like to point out, other animals show signs of homosexuality. A dog tries to have sex with a persons leg, and tries to have sex with a piece of furniture, and tries to have sex with another dog of the same sex. This is sexual orientation in the fact the dog orients to the object for sex. It is not genetic in that the dog has a DNA programmed to have sex with a piece of specific furniture. The dog, like humans, has a genetic drive for sexual reproduction. How the DNA creates the drive is by creating pleasure. The drive to achieve the pleasure can be very strong, enough to have sex just for the pleasure of having sex (see paragraph two again).

So can the drive for sexual reproduction, sex with the opposite sex, be controlled? Yes, at least in humans in recent history. You may be attracted to someone of the opposite sex, but if they are not a willing partner, like most people, you accept the rejection and move on. Society helps control this.

The chemical and electrical activity inside the human body does not always function properly. Some people become diabetics, some develop deficient immune systems, some need corrective lens to see, some are required to take one of the thousands of medications available. Some people become aggressive, irrational, or irritable because or chemical imbalances. Chemical or electrical imbalances can be major. They can cause people to hallucinate or lose the ability to reason. It is not beneficial to not function
properly. People are not designed to not have vision, not have an immune system, or to not reproduce. There is not DNA designed to prevent those, but there is failure of DNA to accomplish the design perfectly.

So we know there is DNA for reproduction, and not DNA to not reproduce. We know there is a female sex and we know the DNA responsible for it. We know there is a male sex and we know the DNA for it. We also know there is not a third type of sex. That does not mean a chemical imbalance can not play havoc on the reproductive system and drive. However, it is not know if that causes same sex attraction, a partial cause for same sex attraction, or not a cause for same sex attraction.

We do know that nurture, the environment a child is raised it and how, can change or over ride what is naturally programmed by DNA. We know DNA has a purpose to creating a desire to survive, it is required for life. We also know people can be taught to ignore that desire, and give up that desire. The are groups, past and present, that teach that and succeed. So we know people can be taught to go against what they are naturally programmed for.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7420 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
Reproduction is required for life.....
Now there are people that mention sexual orientation. They say sexual orientation is genetic, and that human bodies were designed for different types of sexual orientations. Okay, people can be sexually oriented to the same sex, other animals, their self, children, or different types of machinery. Those people have just stepped away from sexual reproduction, and went to just sex. The human body was designed to have sex to reproduce (if in doubt, read first paragraph again), but as they point out, you can have sex in ways that reproduction is not a possibility....
with another dog of the same sex (?)....enough to have sex just for the pleasure of having sex (see paragraph two again).
So can the drive for sexual reproduction, sex with the opposite sex, be controlled?.....
So we know there is DNA for reproduction, and not DNA to not reproduce.....
We know DNA has a purpose to creating a desire to survive, it is required for life. We also know people can be taught to ignore that desire, and give up that desire. The are groups, past and present, that teach that and succeed. So we know people can be taught to go against what they are naturally programmed for.
Wow. What an amazingly long winded way of proving you actually DON'T agree with what you claim.(The "there is no gay gene" idea).

here's a hint:
"...we know people can be taught to go against what they are naturally programmed for."

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught - Matthew Morrison & Paulo Szot (South Pacific)
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7421 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
We also know people can be taught to ignore that desire, and give up that desire. The are groups, past and present, that teach that and succeed.
No they don't. You don't "know" anything.
The success rate for so-called "reparative therapy" are about zero.

From the available data, four studies reported a "success" rate during conversion therapy of 0.4%, 0.0%, 0.5 and 0.04%. That is, conversion therapy has a failure rate in excess of 99.5% during each study. Considering the anecdotal data which indicates a large percentage of extremely depressed and suicidal clients emerging from conversion therapy, it would appear that this form of therapy is worthless. It my well result in the death by suicide of more gays and lesbians than it "converts" to a heterosexual orientation. Unfortunately, we cannot be certain of this. The quality of the studies is extremely poor.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_exod1.h...

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7422 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
Your whole argument is based on reproduction and the populating of this planet. Well, here is my argument against procreating for the sake of procreating.....

We are already on the verge of being over-populated and besides that........look at what happen when your parents had you.......stupid must have been inherited!!!

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#7423 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
Reproduction is required for life. For humans, like other mammals, sexual reproduction is used. Two different sexes, male and female, each contribute half their DNA to form offspring. The DNA that creates a male, or a female, creates their bodies in forms capable of passing on their DNA. The purpose of the sexual organs is for reproduction. Therefore, reproduction occurs, and there is life. Now I know some people don't understand this, and want to know where the proof is. Well, life is the proof. If the reproduction did not happen, life would cease. Look around, all life requires reproduction, there is no life without it.
Now there are people that mention sexual orientation. They say sexual orientation is genetic, and that human bodies were designed for different types of sexual orientations. Okay, people can be sexually oriented to the same sex, other animals, their self, children, or different types of machinery. Those people have just stepped away from sexual reproduction, and went to just sex. The human body was designed to have sex to reproduce (if in doubt, read first paragraph again), but as they point out, you can have sex in ways that reproduction is not a possibility.
As so many researchers like to point out, other animals show signs of homosexuality. A dog tries to have sex with a persons leg, and tries to have sex with a piece of furniture, and tries to have sex with another dog of the same sex. This is sexual orientation in the fact the dog orients to the object for sex. It is not genetic in that the dog has a DNA programmed to have sex with a piece of specific furniture. The dog, like humans, has a genetic drive for sexual reproduction. How the DNA creates the drive is by creating pleasure. The drive to achieve the pleasure can be very strong, enough to have sex just for the pleasure of having sex (see paragraph two again).
So can the drive for sexual reproduction, sex with the opposite sex, be controlled? Yes, at least in humans in recent history. You may be attracted to someone of the opposite sex, but if they are not a willing partner, like most people, you accept the rejection and move on. Society helps control this.
The chemical and electrical activity inside the human body does not always function properly. Some people become diabetics, some develop deficient immune systems, some need corrective lens to see, some are required to take one of the thousands of medications available. Some people become aggressive, irrational, or irritable because or chemical imbalances. Chemical or electrical imbalances can be major. They can cause people to hallucinate or lose the ability to reason. It is not beneficial to not function
properly. People are not designed to not have vision, not have an immune system, or to not reproduce. There is not DNA designed to prevent those, but there is failure of DNA to accomplish the design perfectly.
So we know there is DNA for reproduction, and not DNA to not reproduce. We know there is a female sex and we know the DNA responsible for it. We know there is a male sex and we know the DNA for it. We also know there is not a third type of sex. That does not mean a chemical imbalance can not play havoc on the reproductive system and drive. However, it is not know if that causes same sex attraction, a partial cause for same sex attraction, or not a cause for same sex attraction.
We do know that nurture, the environment a child is raised it and how, can change or over ride what is naturally programmed by DNA. We know DNA has a purpose to creating a desire to survive, it is required for life. We also know people can be taught to ignore that desire, and give up that desire. The are groups, past and present, that teach that and succeed. So we know people can be taught to go against what they are naturally programmed for.
Does this have anything to do with marriage equality?

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#7424 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
But gay marriage will affect all of us. It further opens the door for you to teach other people's kids your ideas about sexuality.
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"

Gay marriage doesn't open the door to anything other than gay marriage. What is and isn't taught in the classroom WRT sexuality doesn't depend on the legal status of gay marriage.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#7425 Oct 7, 2012
Soo True wrote:
Reproduction is required for life. For humans, like other mammals, sexual reproduction is used. Two different sexes, male and female, each contribute half their DNA to form offspring. The DNA that creates a male, or a female, creates their bodies in forms capable of passing on their DNA. The purpose of the sexual organs is for reproduction.
I'm straight, and I've never used mine for that.
Soo True wrote:
Therefore, reproduction occurs, and there is life. Now I know some people don't understand this, and want to know where the proof is.
Nobody is arguing against that, stupid, it's just not an issue.
Soo True wrote:
Okay, people can be sexually oriented to the same sex, other animals, their self, children, or different types of machinery. Those people have just stepped away from sexual reproduction, and went to just sex.
Again, I'm straight, I just have sex. Every time I did, I took birth control. Now I'm past menopause. Should I quit having sex!?
When are straight guys going to start turning down BJs from women because they can't reproduce that way?

There is nothing wrong with having sex for pleasure and only pleasure, so what is your point?

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#7426 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do public schools need to teach kindergartners that "heterosexuals exist? I mean come on.......schools need to be safe havens for ALL sorts of kids and their families........and it is you that is not being honest with what your thoughts are.........sorry, but frankly, I've not seen any of those things being taught at my grandchild's school and if they were......no big deal because they aren't what you think they are.
Yes...schools need to be safe havens for everyone. That does not mean teaching homosexuality acceptance to kindergartners.

The OC

#7427 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? Did your marriage have any affect on me? Has my marriage had any affect on you or your marriage?
Why would I teach ANYONE'S kid about sexuality? I've already seen your link and disagree with you about what you think it does!!!
Should school be allowed to teach my grandchild about heterosexuality? No, but it does each and every day just because the teachers speak about their spouses, children and grandchildren........why is that necessary? or even appropriate? If I want my grandchild to know of these things, they will be taught when the child is ready.......but in reality......they already hear about it every day in school, on the streets, by young adolescent teenagers with raging hormones and on the TV.......so, please tell me why you think one is okay, but not the other!!!
Never mind...you are unreasonable and rambling.

The curriculum I linked to specifically and intentionally teaches children to accept homosexuality as normal, healthy, and moral. Many parents (spare me your disagreement) would like to deal with these very personal matters in their own home and in there own way.

Such teaching about "hetereosexuality" does not exist. Get reasonable.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7428 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...schools need to be safe havens for everyone. That does not mean teaching homosexuality acceptance to kindergartners.
What do you consider to be "homosexuality acceptance"?

Kindergartners do have Same-Sex Parents, right? They have friends who know their parents, right? Exactly what is the real issue you have? Because I don't believe ANYONE is teaching them to accept homosexuals per say.......as it is to accept and respect those who are different.

The OC

#7429 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
From the link you provided:
Support Services for LGBTQ Youth assists school staff and administrators in understanding and implementing policies and procedures that create safer school communities for all of our students. District specific data supports implementing these policies through our many programs and curricula.
A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code.
The California Education Code (51938) mandates that parents/ caregivers be notified 15 days before classroom instruction about sexuality, human growth and development, including sexually transmitted disease/HIV infection. Further, parents/caregivers must be given the opportunity to review instructional materials and exclude their child from curriculum sections related to family life and sexuality. Parent Notification materials can be found in the District Student and Parent/Guardian Handbook, distributed each academic year.
Parent notification does NOT need to be sent in the following instances, which reflect the teachable moment:
When students ask for definitions: What does gay mean?
When intervening in name calling incidents
When students discuss families
Reading a book with LGBTQ character(s)/plots/subplots.
When celebrating Diversity Days, Gay Pride, or Health Fairs
Speaking about LGBTQ persons in the curriculum other than Health.
Teachers may include topics about LGBTQ persons in classroom discussions.
This includes, but is not limited to: LGBTQ historical figures, family members, and the community.
No Parental Notification is needed for these classroom discussions
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/GetTheFacts/...
Did ya read the whole site? or just what you didn't agree with or like?
Yes!! This is my favorite part! I have reposted it several times! This is the clearest example on the whole site about the agenda of these people. Allow me to repost their finest moment:

"A discussion about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life education and does NOT require parent notification according to the California Education Code."

Think about how ridiculous this is. Discussing gays and gay families "does not constitute a discussion about human sexuality or family life"? Really? On what planet?

So the law says parents need to be notified when the schools want to discuss sexuality and family life. These guys simply declare that discussing gay families is that at all...and no parental notification is necessary! Gee...no agenda here!

THESE PEOPLE WANT TO TEACH OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN THERE IDEAS ABOUT SEXUALITY WITH OR WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT!

Get it? This is my main point. Allow gay marriage and these fascists will have even greater justification!

The OC

#7430 Oct 7, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose's Nonsense:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?"
Gay marriage doesn't open the door to anything other than gay marriage. What is and isn't taught in the classroom WRT sexuality doesn't depend on the legal status of gay marriage.
See post above.

The OC

#7431 Oct 7, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider to be "homosexuality acceptance"?
Kindergartners do have Same-Sex Parents, right? They have friends who know their parents, right? Exactly what is the real issue you have? Because I don't believe ANYONE is teaching them to accept homosexuals per say.......as it is to accept and respect those who are different.
Then why bother? If SO MANY kids have gay parents and these kids have friends who are aware of the situation then what is the point at all?

The point is to teach all these little ones that being gay is normal, healthy, and moral. That way we can use the public school system to eradicate all that nasty homophobia with have in society.

Sounds like a great plan...eh?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7433 Oct 7, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind...you are unreasonable and rambling.
The curriculum I linked to specifically and intentionally teaches children to accept homosexuality as normal, healthy, and moral. Many parents (spare me your disagreement) would like to deal with these very personal matters in their own home and in there own way.
Such teaching about "hetereosexuality" does not exist. Get reasonable.
Actually it does.......each and every day kids are shown that being straight is somehow the only way they should be......for a kid who happens to be Gay or Lesbian.....how do you think that makes them feel?

Parents can opt out of certain subjects, but the school doesn't need to ask permission to discuss certain things.

Being Gay or Lesbian is normal and healthy and moral........even you disagree with it.....what is unhealthy is high risk sexual practices and that applies to everyone who engages in sexual activity.

I'm always amazed at how folks like you think I'm being unreasonable or ranting, especially when I throw their link and information back at them......it shows you didn't read the whole link, but only what you thought would prove your point.

As an Educator........any discussion regarding this issue would always be age appropriate and only discussed if a question was asked or someone brought something up.......personally, there is a time and place for this issue and I'd prefer it to be at home by responsible adults who took the time to educate their child on the facts instead of the fear and intimidation factors, but that isn't what you want either......you want to teach your kids how to hate others just because their different, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melaleuca CEO sues magazine, claims defamation (Feb '13) 24 min Granolamonger 2
Chinese Man Sues Over Gay Conversion Therapy 2 hr Porter 14
What Size Butt Plug Does Rick in Kansas Use? 2 hr Porter 2
Why do homosexuals admire Jerry Sandusky? 2 hr Porter 6
Judge overturns Montana's gay marriage ban 2 hr Lawrence Wolf 74
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 14,435
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 2 hr NorCal Native 3,374
Study Suggests But Doesn't Prove Genetic Link t... 4 hr DebraE 203
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... 7 hr Frankie Rizzo 677
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 8 hr Pietro Armando 3,825