Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments
6,801 - 6,820 of 9,656 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2013

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#7285 Oct 3, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
The rights of Christian parents to send their kids to Christian counselors.
They shouldn't have the right to abuse their children by sending them to "counselors" who practice the psychiatric equivalent of bloodletting.

North Hollywood, CA

#7286 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Something is either equal or different. Some laws are bad, when they don't reflect reality. I want laws that are consistent with math and science; this is where we differ.
You are an irrational idiot, that's where we differ.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.
14th Amendment. Both men and women are US citizens.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they have, you must have missed Rose writing this, she's written similar posts before before: "I do want the government to treat people as if they have no gender." I believe gender differences are great and important to the survival of the human species; this is where we differ.
When are you going to name one of these differences?
(Apart from simple physical ones.)
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>And your claim is false, men and women are legally different.
Black and white people were at one time, too.

North Hollywood, CA

#7287 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I make my arguments without insults; this is where we differ.
That's a lie. Every time you say people don't deserve basic, equal human rights you are insulting them, no matter how nice the words you use to do that are.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain why you find this defamatory: "Every child raised by a same sex couple is raised either motherless or fatherless. Is there anything sadder than a motherless child?"To be defamatory, a statement must be false, do you disagree with my opinion about a motherless child?
Yes. A child raised by you would be sadder. It would be better off shot in the stomach and left to bleed to death.

<
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Changing the law to allow same sex marriage implies consent; widows and widowers don't intend to become single parents.
WTF? You are stupid. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just a fact. Your "argument" makes no sense.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure DNF will tell us, and I don't think I'll like his hate filled plans. I've never written a single word against homosexuals;
Another lie.
Brian_G wrote:
I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality. Gays have a right to freedom of associations, I've never advocated depriving anyone of the right to their consensual relationships.

.[QUOTE who="Brian_G"]
<quoted text>These are the arguments you get when people give up reason in favor of emotion.
I don't use emotion in my argument at all, it's a simple matter of equal rights. Your "arguments" are pure emotion. Like "s there anything sadder than a motherless child?". You are just trying to stir up emotion, and the question has nothing to do with the issue of gay marriage at all.
Brian_G wrote:
This is why I want to protect the sound social policy of keeping marriage one man and one woman.When you make macro policy out of sympathy for a friend or relative, you can be certain of bad consequences.
That is saying there is something wrong with gay people. That is insulting gay people. That is hateful towards gay people.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7288 Oct 3, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
that would be where i got mine...
one in particular you think is good?
thats what i was doing by sharing that material...
I knew where you got the article from.......the fact that you stated you didn't see the others was why I posted the link!!!!

Yes, but you'd tell me that I was just pandering to articles that make my point.......so, I'll just leave it at that!!!!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7289 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Women were given the vote by the 19th Amendment in 1920, men always had the right to vote.
What do you mean, "citizenship rights"? Can you cite an Amendment or clause in the Constitution?
<quoted text>The 19th Amendment is explicitly limited to the right to vote, it doesn't create gender equality. There is no gender equivalence in the Constitution, just as there is no right to gender equality.
They are equal now, that's all that matters. The Constitution is a living document which gets interpreted differently over time. The year is 2012 to the best of my knowledge. Citizenship rights are guaranteed by the 14th amendment.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#7290 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Comparing same sex marriage to civil rights MAKES ME SICK!
Comparing you to a Human being with a logical thought process makes me sick!!!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7291 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Could it possibly be you are already sick?
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7292 Oct 3, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
funny it is also the logic of the SCOTUS...
"The woman whom appellee desired to marry had a fundamental right to seek an abortion of their expected child, or to bring the child into life to suffer the myriad social, if not economic, disabilities that the status of illegitimacy brings. Surely, a decision to marry and raise the child in a traditional family setting must receive equivalent protection. And, if appellee's right to procreate means anything at all, it must imply some right to [marry]."
I think you have some kind of a tic where you laugh when you are wrong...
Um..... where does that say gays can't marry?
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7293 Oct 3, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Can we have your liver?
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#7294 Oct 3, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Could it possibly be you are already sick?
Yes.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#7295 Oct 3, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
DOMA .... about to be flushed
I just watched the debate. I think Obama is about to flushed!

The OC

#7296 Oct 3, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, Rose's Law!
You are a moron with no real argument, so you start going on about children.
People are going to start teaching rational views of human sexuality in schools, regardless of the legal status of gay marriage.
<quoted text>
Sure. I like the way you fundies try to make your bigotry seem righteous.
No Rose...this is why I personally do not support gay marriage. I don't need any other reasoning nor do I need your agreement.

"Gay marriage would further open the door for you people to teach your particular views on sexuality to other people's children."

The OC

#7297 Oct 3, 2012
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
They shouldn't have the right to abuse their children by sending them to "counselors" who practice the psychiatric equivalent of bloodletting.
"Abuse"..."bloo dletting"? That is simply your ridiculous and hysterical opinion.

Rose's law my butt.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

#7298 Oct 3, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
I just watched the debate. I think Obama is about to flushed!
I didn't watch it and I could've told you the same thing (and I'm telling you the same thing now).

Didn't The Obamanaic PROMISE to serve only one term if he didn't cut the deficit in half and fix the economy ?

Was he lying then, or is he lying now ?

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

#7299 Oct 4, 2012
Found it !

He PROMISED to serve only one term !

Why was he lying about that ???!!!

:(

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#7300 Oct 4, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Abuse"..."bloo dletting"? That is simply your ridiculous and hysterical opinion.
Rose's law my butt.
Actually, it's the opinion of the vast majority of the medical community, and I don't believe most of them are hysterical.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#7301 Oct 4, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
No Rose...this is why I personally do not support gay marriage. I don't need any other reasoning nor do I need your agreement.
"Gay marriage would further open the door for you people to teach your particular views on sexuality to other people's children."
You are always entitled to your opinions, however silly and illogical they might be. You just don't have the right to use them to deny basic civil and human rights to other Americans.

But, can you tell us what harm is done to any child by understand that folks who marry the same gender as okay?

Are you one of those that thinks a kid can "turn gay" if they learn that some girls like girls and some boys like boys?

There is NO rational basis for that idea, you know. Learning to treat others as you would like to be treated, regardless of harmless differences, has never turned a single person gay.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7302 Oct 4, 2012
Word dat !!!
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#7303 Oct 4, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew where you got the article from.......the fact that you stated you didn't see the others was why I posted the link!!!!
Yes, but you'd tell me that I was just pandering to articles that make my point.......so, I'll just leave it at that!!!!
so that's how you feel about me asking you to indicate a good one?

you said some of these support you, WHICH ONES?

oh forget it, talk about your feelings with someone else, I could not get you to have a conversation of substance even when i lead you to the sources...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#7304 Oct 4, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Um..... where does that say gays can't marry?
it says our ability to procreate within the union is a reason marriage is protected...

not surprised you can't connect the dots...
better you just played with the icons dude...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 10 min Fa-Foxy 369
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 18 min Frankie Rizzo 493
Judges chide state lawyers over gay marriage bans 20 min radiofreeamerica 10
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 32 min RiccardoFire 200,574
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 47 min D-U-H 42
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 59 min sava 1,009
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Lamar 67,948
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 1 hr eJohn 42
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 hr anonymous 54,831
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 3 hr WeTheSheeple 53
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••