High school newspaper column sparks c...

High school newspaper column sparks controversy

There are 34 comments on the Port Clinton News Herald story from Jan 15, 2012, titled High school newspaper column sparks controversy. In it, Port Clinton News Herald reports that:

SHAWANO, Wis. -- A gay couple with school-age children is outraged over a column in a local high school newspaper that cites Bible passages and calls homosexuality a sin punishable by death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Port Clinton News Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“A Militant Homosexual”

Since: Jan 07

West Hollywood, California

#1 Jan 15, 2012
So, according to Christians, it's okay to teach children to condemn innocent people to death but it's not okay to teach them the truth about those people. Hmmm, I'll let you make up your own mind about what that means...

“Gay & Proud & Lawfully Married”

Since: Jan 07

Porterville CA

#2 Jan 15, 2012
"Jesus states in the Bible that homosexuality is (a) detestable" this is quoted from the article. If this is what the student who wrote in the student paper wrote, they need to have an evaluation of their reading comprehension because Jesus never spoke of homosexuality in the bible.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 15, 2012
Why is it so upsetting to the "religious" that no one is required to give a shit?

The second you start telling lies about religion and turn it into "religion," that is when and specifically why people stop caring.

You bring this on yourselves.

Antigay vitriol is not changing anyone; it's so bizarre that you think you're getting anywhere with this. The nanosecond you say "the bible says being gay is bad" that shows me incontrovertible proof that you are full of complete shit, and that is when and why I stop listening.

It's when you say that, specifically, that I stop listening. You are not my go-between for any religious concept. I have absolutely no requirement to consult YOU about religious belief. You -- the antigay -- are not a part of the equation, you attempt to usurp a right I am sure you'd commit murder for (if you were legal), but you can suck shit because you do not have that right, and it is what you say that tells me how very incorrect you are.

This is never going to change between now and eternity. You have lost.

If the pro-gay were smarter, they'd be far more virulently on your case about this. As it is, they are at least tirelessly telling you to fuck off, which means that what you are doing is technically harassment, at this point. Don't mistake the term: There is legalized harassment, which does not change that it is the HARASSEE who gets to decide whether it is harassment or not -- not you.

Accept your loss with grace, and stop trying to stuff and jam and force your opinion down others' throats. I believe you to be committing an act of rape every time you lie and say being gay (or gay acts) are sinful. Period.

Good luck changing that. You have lost. Trust me.

Since: Jan 10

Cleveland, OH

#4 Jan 15, 2012
As Brock93257 says they need to have their reading skills evaluated...

Going one bit further, and addressing the free speech "meme" from the article, free speech means to express an opinion or fact. Free speech doesn't mean you are free to lie in a newspaper (although as the politicians prove it happens a lot). I think the article should not have been printed because it isn't true (as in Jesus never directly condemns homosexuality), as well as fostering a hateful and hostile environment.

"If one is a practicing Christian, Jesus states in the Bible that homosexuality is (a) detestable act and sin which makes adopting wrong for homosexuals because you would be raising the child in a sin-filled environment."

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#5 Jan 15, 2012
I thought journalism included fact checking because Jesus never mentioned homosexuality.
John E

Geneseo, NY

#6 Jan 15, 2012
Must be the editor failed to review some parts of the article prior to publishing.
Evangelcal santorum Froth

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Jan 15, 2012
Now why do I think the odds are against the same high school newspaper having a column saying that adulterers are sinners who should be put to death? Or those who work on the Sabbath?* Or even that glbt people have equal rights in this secular, not theocratic, society?

I know the buybull babblers claim an after the fact, deus ex machina excusing certain prohibitions, but there's enough in the buybull they ignore. It's the (alleged) homo prohibitions they cannot get out of their minds....
Evangelcal santorum Froth

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Jan 15, 2012
John E wrote:
Must be the editor failed to review some parts of the article prior to publishing.
That would not be my assumption at all.

I expect we will see more incidents like this of xstains asserting their "rights" to be bigots in places of public accommodation, like schools, because they're "religious."

And the litigation on this one will be going on at least as long as marriage equality litigation. Probably longer.
Snickers

Grove City, PA

#9 Jan 15, 2012
Like a 13-year-old would have a father is who 24. There's something that can happen only in a contrived family.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 15, 2012
to the lgbt students at that high school... you should arm yourself in that school given you have school sanctioned death threats
Evangelcal santorum Froth

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Jan 15, 2012
Snickers wrote:
Like a 13-year-old would have a father is who 24. There's something that can happen only in a contrived family.
I hardly thing DIVORCED, xstain bigots like you are entitled to pass judgement on anyone else's family successes or failures or oddities.

Now go read your buybull. Especially the parts about divorce, and about the golden rule, you ignorant, hypocritical bigot.
Evangelcal santorum Froth

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Jan 15, 2012
"I hardly think DIVORCED, xstain bigots like you are entitled to pass judgement...."

“Child of the Universe”

Since: Aug 09

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

#13 Jan 15, 2012
The question is: who was the teacher who's in charge of this extracurricular activity who permitted this column to go to print?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#14 Jan 15, 2012
Snickers wrote:
Like a 13-year-old would have a father is who 24. There's something that can happen only in a contrived family.
Actually, that usually happens when there's some sort of child abuse going on in a family. And probably almost never in a family with same-sex parents. But what statement led you to believe that either of the fathers was 24, in this case?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 15, 2012
Who started this weird heresy that Yeshua wrote the bible?

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#16 Jan 15, 2012
Um what would happen if they ran an article that said all black people should he hung from a tree or all Jewish people be cooked in an oven? Why is it ok for our school system to promote propaganda which calls for the death of all homosexuals?

WTF is wrong with our country? The UK is prosecuting people who hand out literature like this but here in the USA our public educational system is handing it out to our grade schoolers?????

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#17 Jan 15, 2012
Robert In West Hollywood wrote:
So, according to Christians, it's okay to teach children to condemn innocent people to death but it's not okay to teach them the truth about those people. Hmmm, I'll let you make up your own mind about what that means...
Well, when a person lives in a fantasy world and actively disregards reality in favor of picking and choosing passages in and old book of myths, you can make up all sorts of craziness and convince yourself it's okay.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#18 Jan 15, 2012
hi hi wrote:
Why is it so upsetting to the "religious" that no one is required to give a shit?
Because they're well-trained group thinkers. Their sense of security comes from knowing that other people think exactly the same way they do and they freak out when people disagree with them because it shakes their sense of security, false as it is.

When a person is raised to be afraid of anything and everything that doesn't fit perfectly into their own personal fantasy world, it's *really* hard to operate in the real world.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#19 Jan 15, 2012
McMike wrote:
Um what would happen if they ran an article that said all black people should he hung from a tree or all Jewish people be cooked in an oven? Why is it ok for our school system to promote propaganda which calls for the death of all homosexuals?

WTF is wrong with our country? The UK is prosecuting people who hand out literature like this but here in the USA our public educational system is handing it out to our grade schoolers?????
The fundies LOVE it. They groove on violence and vengeance without a second thought. You've read the Bible, haven't you? That's pretty what's in it....

“Gay & Proud & Lawfully Married”

Since: Jan 07

Porterville CA

#20 Jan 16, 2012
http://biblethumpingliberal.com/2011/05/19/yo...

They need to read this before writing articles in the paper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 7 min Frankie Rizzo 7,045
Are the mods fair and balanced? 10 min Brian_G 862
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 15 min Brian_G 474
News Writer Larry Kramer turning 80 but 'the fight's... 25 min Lorraine Rebman 26
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 38 min NorCal Native 628
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 1 hr Brian_G 3,314
News 10 Questions for Christians Who Support Gay Mar... 1 hr Belle Sexton 8
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 1 hr Belle Sexton 240
News 'You can't have marriage equality without polyg... 3 hr DebraE 64
More from around the web