In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both...

In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both sides gearing up for more battles

There are 1144 comments on the Reuters story from Nov 28, 2012, titled In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both sides gearing up for more battles. In it, Reuters reports that:

Scott Everhart and Jason Welker hold each other before exchanging wedding vows at a comic book retail shop in Manhattan, New York June 20, 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1237 Dec 20, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Jane, you’ve failed thus far to offer any legitimate state interest served by conditioning the fundamental right to marry upon biology.
Try again.
<quoted text>
Cornell Law’s explanations works just fine for me, it debunks your arguments quite nicely. Marriage is a protection of the law, and homosexuals are people.
Nothing that you have argued negates either of these simple facts.
you win the cake for delusional and dumb...
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1238 Dec 20, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Please show us in the Constitution where it says only certain groups of U.S. Citizens are protected by the rules in the Constitution.
Who would ever say something dumb like that?
I sure never did...
You make me wonder what words you are reading...

I said show me where equal RIGHTS are ever promised...

and I will show you how we are only guaranteed equal PROTECTION, not equal rights...if they meant rights, they would have said that...
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1239 Dec 20, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The false belief fundamental rights depend on ability needed to be refuted.
But you haven't, the right to abort is based on the ability to carry the baby..I mean read Roe...

I think you guys think "irrelevant" and "debunked" and "refute" means you deny it and then ignore it because it deflates your bubble gum view of the law...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1240 Dec 20, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
But you haven't, the right to abort is based on the ability to carry the baby..I mean read Roe...
I think you guys think "irrelevant" and "debunked" and "refute" means you deny it and then ignore it because it deflates your bubble gum view of the law...
Then show us the law or amendment which bans men from having an abortion.

Lacking such, I retain all my rights- including the right to an abortion- as per the 9th amendment.
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1241 Dec 20, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then show us the law or amendment which bans men from having an abortion.
Lacking such, I retain all my rights- including the right to an abortion- as per the 9th amendment.
show us the federal law banning gay marriage...

are you suggesting you have the right to abort your child as it lives in the mother's belly?

creative writing...

I make a point, and you invent a new reality to address it...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1242 Dec 20, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
are you suggesting you have the right to abort your child as it lives in the mother's belly?
creative writing...
Your point is just as silly as your polygamy point. Both suggest that you're desperate to prove a point where you have none.
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1243 Dec 20, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point is just as silly as your polygamy point. Both suggest that you're desperate to prove a point where you have none.
silly how?
as in shows physical abilities can be the basis for rights?
as in society can either encourage certain family structures, or it can't?

Tawas City, Michigan

#1244 Dec 20, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
creative writing...
There is no federal law banning gays from marrying, which is why same-sex couples can marry in 9 states plus D.C.

No, I'm saying I have the same right to abort any child "living in my belly" as a woman does. EXACTLY THE SAME RIGHT.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1246 Dec 20, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
silly how?
as in shows physical abilities can be the basis for rights?
as in society can either encourage certain family structures, or it can't?
Of course society can encourage certain family structures.

Of course that also has nothing to do with banning same-sex couples from marrying, since that does NOTHING to encourge opposite-sex families.

Here's another anology for you (which of course you won't get)- using your logic, we can't effectively encourage minorities to go to college unless we ban all whites from college.

Unless you are planning on banning gays & lesbian from adopting or using IVF or surrogacy, then banning us from marrying IS NOT an effective way to encourage only one particular family structure.

Oh, so THAT's your ultimate goal. Gee what a suprise.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1247 Dec 20, 2012
Homosexual Tendencies wrote:
<quoted text>
The same people on the side of besiality are the same people that are on your side too. Some pretty lofty company ya got there.
Hee-Haw!
Why is it all the anti-gays know all these pro-bestiality and pro-incest and pro-pedophilia and pro-polygamy people??

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1248 Dec 21, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it all the anti-gays know all these pro-bestiality and pro-incest and pro-pedophilia and pro-polygamy people??
They meet them in rest areas and library bathrooms.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#1249 Dec 21, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
They meet them in rest areas and library bathrooms.
You're probably right!!!

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#1252 Dec 21, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
you win the cake for delusional and dumb...
Funny, you take the cake for being off topic and incapable of presenting a competent argument in defense of your position.

Care to indicate a legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples the right to marry?

I don't think your able to do so.
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1253 Dec 21, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course society can encourage certain family structures.
Of course that also has nothing to do with banning same-sex couples from marrying, since that does NOTHING to encourage opposite-sex families.
when you are allowed to encourage certain family structures, you don't encourage the ones we don't think are worth encouraging...

we don't encourage going to college and then encourage dropouts...
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1254 Dec 21, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't think your able to do so.
whats that pete?
or is it repeat?

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#1255 Dec 21, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
whats that pete?
or is it repeat?
It's funny how you can't indicate a legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry.

Way to make yourself look incompetent, Jane.
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1256 Dec 21, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny how you can't indicate a legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry.
Way to make yourself look incompetent, Jane.
you must be bored today...
well you are boring me too...
Jane Dough

Barre, VT

#1257 Dec 21, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds like you are looking for a party!

Tawas City, Michigan

#1259 Dec 21, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
when you are allowed to encourage certain family structures, you don't encourage the ones we don't think are worth encouraging...
we don't encourage going to college and then encourage dropouts...
Wow, you are REALLY bad with analogies. Your example would be more appropriate if the subject were no-fault divorce.

But at least you admit you don't think it is worth encouraging same-sex couples to make the same longterm committment as opposite-sex couples, even though every study ever done shows people in a committed loving relationship are happier, healthier, and more productive members of society.

Not to mention it also shows you don't think same-sex couples (including those raising children) are worthy of the legal protections which can only come from marriage.

Yep, we're all pretty clear where you stand.

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#1260 Dec 22, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
you must be bored today...
well you are boring me too...
You must still not be able to indicate any legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry...

How does it feel to be incompetent?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stopping hate crimes against transgender Americans 3 min Hilda 9
News Who would be a better president: Donald Trump o... 4 min Noe 39
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 min RiccardoFire 13,066
News Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Case Of Bake... 9 min Newt G s Next Rel... 343
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 48 min Freedomofexpression 57,593
News Birth-record fix for gays falls to lower court 57 min Hilda 17
Corn Shuckers 1 hr Milton 3
More from around the web