In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both sides gearing up for more battles

Nov 28, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Scott Everhart and Jason Welker hold each other before exchanging wedding vows at a comic book retail shop in Manhattan, New York June 20, 2012.

Comments
301 - 320 of 1,145 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2013

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
I debating just ignoring you, but I'll try again...
First, do you see how you first said I didn't give you answers and then spoke about the ones I gave you?
that's what makes me want to ignore you...
<quoted text>
and what does this say about the preference or encouragement of biological families?
nothing!
We encourage home ownership (or at least used to). The fact that some rent, or are homeless has no bearing.
And AGAIN, as soon as you wish to pass on the wisdom of a choice you have gone too far in rational basis review...
Is it rational to encourage a mom and dad?
Yes.
Does it need to be a proven indicator of success to be "rational"?
NO!
As suggested by NYE, because the sky is blue is irrational, but because we BELIEVE (not know) that having a mom and dad is better is enough!
Feel free to respond, but I am not sure I am going to...
I know you will troll away on that, but when you are saying I didn't give you an answer and then critique my answer in the next sentence, it's too much to take for very long....
Jane, your arguments regarding child rearing in a traditional marriage by biological parents are non-starters, for the reasons I have already stated. I never said you didnít offer a response, I merely have pointed out that the responses you have, thus far, offered fail to meet the lowest standard of judicial review.

The argument is not rational because the state demonstrably has no interest in children being raised by biological parents. How can we establish this? Because the state allows divorce in cases where children are present, often-awarding sole custody to one parent or the other. The state allows and regulates adoption, which by its very nature means children will not be raised by their biological parents. What is more, the state allows single parent adoption; say nothing of single parenthood outside of marriage.

The reality is that procreation is neither a prerequisite for, nor a requirement of legal marriage, and the state has no interest whatsoever in children being raised by their biological parents. Your argument is not rational; it is a rationalization, with no basis in reality.

Care to try again?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, you were obviously abused, and feel the need to have affection sexually through your gay partner, you've got nothing on me kiddie.
Is that the way it happened to you?

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, you were obviously abused, and feel the need to have affection sexually through your gay partner, you've got nothing on me kiddie.
You make these false generalizations up? Or does Jebus speak to you? I've got a lot on you Asstroll..I'm not some old bigoted closet queen like you, trolling gay sites to get off, who can't even develop relationships. Does the Wifey know your trolling about on gay sites? She'd be mad, cause she probably hasn't had an organism with that little 3"er of yours in years. If you really want to occupy you little mind, why don't you go count the hairs on you a$$ and figure out the percentage that are grey..Or are you too fat for that..POS

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you lying piece of inhuman filth, 2 dads, or 2 moms, both gay, are only training their own clone children to be homosexual deviants, with no personalities, you are taking away their life, you pieces of inhuman filth!
And yet 90% of kids raised by same-sex couples turn out to be straight, just like those raised by hetero couples.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

AzAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Send us packing? Until 2016? You have to know that California will legalize gay marriage in 2016 if the SCOTUS doesn't do it in 2013. Why fight it so hard? You literally have nothing to gain.
We should have put in on the ballot in 2012 like Maine did and been done with it.

Instead we wait & wait & wait & wait for the SCOTUS which seems in no hurry to act.

How many more years are Californians willing to wait?

Uve

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got too much on you kiddie. Looks like I stuck a nerve LOL!
You didn't. But if I don't fight back to bigoted pieces of sh*t like you, you'll keep insulting others and think your superior just because your a c(_)ntlicker.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
What I think your trying to say is your backing off!
Clearly you are saying that you don't understand the difference between your (possessive adjective), and you're (contraction meaning you are)
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
No, and I'm glad I'm not one of you, I can't touch filth like you, you've got the plague.
Well then if you have better things to do; why are you spending your quality time in the TOPIX Gay/Lesbian chat room?

Uve

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
What I think your trying to say is your backing off!
I wouldn't give you that satisfaction. I will say it's boring and pointless to converse with you any longer. Now go count those hairs...

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
We should have put in on the ballot in 2012 like Maine did and been done with it.
Instead we wait & wait & wait & wait for the SCOTUS which seems in no hurry to act.
How many more years are Californians willing to wait?
Many Californians believe equal rights should never depend on any popular vote, and want constitutional equality affirmed by the courts, so they can never again be taken away by a majority influenced by fear and repressive religious beliefs not shared by all.

Justice delayed is justice denied, and separate can never be equal. That being said, Californians currently have marriage equality for those who were married in or out of state before prop 8, and still have "domestic partnerships" which provide nearly all of the state rights. As long as federal rights remain withheld, most I believe, are willing to wait for the courts and direct efforts toward overturning DOMA before devoting resources toward overturning 8 by popular vote. However, if the court fails its duty to enforce equal protections for everyone this time around, the next step will be to return to the ballot box.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
Another of your cheap ad hominens?
You don't require anything particularly expensive or advanced. Your trolling can be responded to with simple insults.
David Limbaugh

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Cant we just accept people for who they are. Just because people may have differing beliefs does not mean what they believe is wrong. it's their reality.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Likewise, why you? Its an open forum you idiot.
Then you have no grounds for complaint
How may we help you with your gay/lesbian needs?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a gay at all, you idiot. I have every right to complain about your evil actions.
Your homophobia has brought your life to a halt
Are you receiving medical treatment for your homophobia?
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a gay at all, you idiot. I have every right to complain about your evil actions.
Why are you(straight) people even trolling all gay forums then?Youn don't see me trolling all of those (straight) murder stories.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I am simply stating my religious and political beliefs, I simply want to debate, as well as simply being interested in it politically as well.
The first step to successful treatment is to admit to yourself that you have homophobia
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I have homophobia yes, but is it an illness?...
Homophobia is disrupting your normal daily routines; robbing you of your time and freedom to enjoy your personal quality of life
Homophobia has put your life on hold; rendered you a psychological cripple
You are taking it out on total strangers on the internet
all day long

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Survives maybe, but I doubt most do. And gay children only just started, they haven't grown up yet idiot.
Same-sex couples have been raising children for decades; they just haven't been able to marry until recently.

Every study ever done indicates children raised by same-sex couples turn out no different than kids raised by heteros. About the ONLY difference they found was that the 10% or so of kids who were gay had an easier time acceping it than their peers raised by straight couples.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Same-sex couples have been raising children for decades; they just haven't been able to marry until recently.
Every study ever done indicates children raised by same-sex couples turn out no different than kids raised by heteros. About the ONLY difference they found was that the 10% or so of kids who were gay had an easier time acceping it than their peers raised by straight couples.
Agreed.

To expand on what you said, I'd add gay people have been raising children not just for decades, but for thousands of years, all over the world. Any harm is a result of the irrational prejudice of others who want to impose their scientifically unsupportable beliefs on the entire population rather than on themselves.

"The results of more than a century of anthropological research on households, kinship relationships, and families, across cultures and through time, provide no support whatsoever for the view that either civilization or viable social orders depend upon marriage as an exclusively heterosexual institution. Rather, anthropological research supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies." (American Anthropological Association)

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Coretta Scott King:
"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice... But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King, Jr., said,'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere'... I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

"We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny... I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," she said, quoting from her husband. "I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy."3
"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Georgia, and St. Augustine, Florida, and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions."

"We have to launch a campaign against homophobia in the black community."

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 7 min DebraE 54,805
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 54 min The Rogue 49,393
Chile sailor publicly discloses his homosexuality 2 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 2 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 2 hr Dalmatino 942
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 2 hr Ashley1204 243
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 3 hr Fa-Foxy 34
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 3 hr DNF 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE