Why Atheists Need To Come Out

Why Atheists Need To Come Out

There are 281 comments on the The Atlantic story from Jul 21, 2011, titled Why Atheists Need To Come Out. In it, The Atlantic reports that:

WaPo's "On Faith" blog is using Ricky Gervais' new show about atheism to discuss the place of atheists in American society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlantic.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#1 Jul 25, 2011
I think they need to come out.

But first they need to pull their heads 'out' of their own arses.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#2 Jul 25, 2011
Good points in this article :

Because we represent such a small sliver of the American population and are often seen in a negative light, I believe that it is imperative that atheists make themselves known. A 2010 Gallup poll demonstrated something the LGBTQ community has recognized for some time: people are significantly more inclined to oppose gay marriage if they do not know anyone who is gay.

Similarly, a Time Magazine cover story last year featured revealing numbers that speak volumes about the correlation between positive relationships and civic support; per their survey, 46 percent of Americans think Islam is more violent than other faiths and 61 percent oppose Park51 (or the “Ground Zero Mosque”), but only 37 percent even know a Muslim American. Another survey released around the same time, by Pew, reported that 55 percent of Americans know “not very much” or “nothing at all” about Islam.

Nunya

#3 Jul 25, 2011
Cont :

The disconnect is clear-when only 37 percent of Americans know a Muslim American, and 55 percent claim to know very little or nothing about Islam, the negative stereotypes about the Muslim community go unchallenged. The same logic can be extended to atheists-the fewer relationships we have with people of faith, the worse our image will be. But it isn’t enough that religious people know atheists-the quality of the relationships that exist between atheists and the religious makes a significant difference in undoing anti-atheist attitudes.
http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/...
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#4 Jul 25, 2011
Yea.

That's just what I was saying this morning.
nina

Canada

#5 Jul 25, 2011
athiests need to learn from the gay community

being out and letting people know that they know one

is the first step to reducing ignorance and prejudice

like gays, athiests look like everyone else

invisible minority groups need to make themselves visible

http://ntrygg.wordpress.com
LBer

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jul 26, 2011
You atheists are what I call "Christian Atheists". Do you think atheists live the same way in the middle east? View the world the same as those in the West do?

Of course not.

Our entire society, almost everything we do, was/is shaped by our Christian heritage, our Christian values, our Christian culture. I am a Christian Deist, my neighbor is a Christian Buddhist (he laughs when I tell him this), and you are Christian Atheists.

Backing up Christianity in this world is not only about the religion, it is about our way of life.
If islam takes over, your option to be peacefully Atheist is over...

Nunya

#7 Jul 26, 2011
LBer wrote:
You atheists are what I call "Christian Atheists". Do you think atheists live the same way in the middle east? View the world the same as those in the West do?
Of course not.
Our entire society, almost everything we do, was/is shaped by our Christian heritage, our Christian values, our Christian culture. I am a Christian Deist, my neighbor is a Christian Buddhist (he laughs when I tell him this), and you are Christian Atheists.
Backing up Christianity in this world is not only about the religion, it is about our way of life.
Define atheism.

Since: Sep 09

Deerfield Beach, FL

#8 Jul 26, 2011
Is'nt an "Atheist" someone that believes in science, not God...not ANY God...not the God od Islam, not the God of Christianity, no God...
You believe in the principles of peaceful co-existence based on mutual respect for others and philosophy...a kind of nice, Godless, nirvanna.

As soon as the muslims take over....you will no longer be able to say you do not believe in God...they will behead you.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#9 Jul 26, 2011
LBer wrote:
Of course not.
Its always the other religion, eh?

I've been told much the same by both the Muslim and Hindu. Even a couple of the more obscure religions have all claimed I was an atheist that was simply denying their god(S).

And that additionally, their god was the god I specifically "denied", and, "believed wasn't a god"(as if there were evidence it was "the god", and I chose to not recognize this).

Here is one of my favorite quotes from a Hindu, I've saved it just because the Hindu could teach the Christian a thing or two about circular reasoning:

"Even if the space or universe disappears, the unimaginable God must be left over. Even if the pot is destroyed the mud is left over. The process of creation of this imaginable space or universe from the unimaginable God must be also unimaginable. The reason is that the process of generation of one imaginable item from another imaginable item is imaginable as we observe in the worldly processes like generation of pot from mud. In fact, space is subtle energy and is something. It is not vacuum which is nothing. Hence there is nothing like nothing"

That was in response to my requesting some parameters concerning the god.

I'd supply a Muslim quote, but they rely on metaphor and such so heavily that it really serves no purpose since the end result is the same.

It isn't Christianity, or Islam, or Hinduism thats the singular problem.

Its all of them(religion), Since they all need you to believe as they do.

Or, you will surely die. Its either death at the hands of another religion or by the hand of the deity of the religion you should be following~...~ If you listen to whatever side the zealot is pleading you must heed.

Isn't that the underlying message in most religions and deity beliefs?

*"we're better than those other guys, and if you don't believe me, just wait, my deity will kill you for not beliving"*
no mystery

UK

#10 Jul 26, 2011
where atheists are going there is no"coming out"
just going in
jihadi brothel

Jakarta, Indonesia

#11 Jul 26, 2011
Mi_nina wrote:
Is'nt an "Atheist" someone that believes in science, not God...not ANY God...not the God od Islam, not the God of Christianity, no God...
You believe in the principles of peaceful co-existence based on mutual respect for others and philosophy...a kind of nice, Godless, nirvanna.
As soon as the muslims take over....you will no longer be able to say you do not believe in God...they will behead you.
Then convert the Muslim into atheist.

Do not discriminate the atheist like Fox Channel and conservapedia. Do not generalize atheist and left as communist. So we can do our job, to make Muslim using their brain.

Every religious people have battle of faith vs logic in their heart ( I am ex Muslim, so i know it). Only Osama don't have that battle. If we do our job to enhance Muslim logic, Muslim will convert into atheist.
jihadi brothel

Jakarta, Indonesia

#12 Jul 26, 2011
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
..... It isn't Christianity, or Islam, or Hinduism thats the singular problem.
Its all of them(religion), Since they all need you to believe as they do...
How bout Deist? You know deist? If you are Yankee, probably you know it. It's American founding father definition god. They define god as law of universe. I think that most satisfying answer of definition of god.

God is law of universe, not powerful narcissist individual. They don't need to be worshiped. The bible is not holly book, but knowledge or law of nature.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#13 Jul 26, 2011
LBer wrote:
Of course not.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Atheism is a lack of belief in god. It doesn't matter what your GPS coordinates are, this is what atheism is.

There is no such thing as a christian atheist. You ignorant theists need to stop inventing crap and start learning a little about facts and definitions.
LBer wrote:
Bullsh*t. Everything we do is shaped by the actions we take.

Atheists do not believe in the crap the theists imagine exists. Get it through your thick brainwashed skulls.
LBer wrote:
No religion will "take over". All religions are losing their followers as the population becomes more educated and rejects stupidity and lies.

Your imagination and its deities are NOT part of reality.
jihadi brothel

Jakarta, Indonesia

#14 Jul 26, 2011
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about. Atheism is a lack of belief in god. It doesn't matter what your GPS coordinates are, this is what atheism is.
There is no such thing as a christian atheist. You ignorant theists need to stop inventing crap and start learning a little about facts and definitions.
Maybe Christian atheist is Christian agnostic that cherry pick the bible. Believe in Jesus, bun't believe in Adam.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullsh*t. Everything we do is shaped by the actions we take.
Atheists do not believe in the crap the theists imagine exists. Get it through your thick brainwashed skulls.
Hmm that's rude! Is it atheist famous for being politically correct? Maybe that's liberal..
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
No religion will "take over". All religions are losing their followers as the population becomes more educated and rejects stupidity and lies.
Your imagination and its deities are NOT part of reality.
It's true, but that's a rude statement.

Don't need hardcore science to make religions losing their followers. History lesson enough to make religions losing their followers, especially history religion it self.

Example: Protestant vs Chatolic, Sunni vs Shite. But the sad thing is, our history lesson are accommodate by religious power (since politician need religious figure to enhance their influence).

They don't tell detail of bad side of religion, but they say bad side said about communist. For example: never tell about 30 years European war, don't tell Hitler religious view.
Cujo

Regina, Canada

#15 Jul 26, 2011
LBer wrote:
Of course not.
Ah, you must be one of those people who take "secular" nation and replace it with "christian".

Truth is, if this was a christian theocracy, we atheists might not be as free as you think!
LBer

Ontario, CA

#16 Jul 26, 2011
Wow - this is the most non-analytical forum I've ever participated in.

Some of you missed my point entirely (a couple got it). I am not a Christian - I am a deist.

My point is our society has been effected by our Christian history on a visceral level - the way we view our individual rights, our interactions with each other, our legal system, or morality, etc.

A person is not only defined by their religion, but by all the facets of the environment they have grown up in, and of course the individual actions they choose to take.

We of the Western world, regardless of what religion you are or are not, are effected on a visceral level by our way of life, as is the Middle East.....regardless of your claimed religion you can not but be effected by the world around you, and be shaped by it. And "our" world is, primarily, Christian.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#17 Jul 26, 2011
Mi_nina wrote:
Hey that was a good point!

And you're pretty too.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#18 Jul 26, 2011
But that is somthing I never thought of.

Gay grouped in the same bracket of socity as Atheists.

It's great!

Since: Sep 09

Deerfield Beach, FL

#19 Jul 26, 2011
Thank you jumper
LBer

Ontario, CA

#20 Jul 26, 2011
BTW - science and religion are apples and oranges. Some of the greatest scientific minds of our times were very religious men/women. They did not need scientific proof of God, as God is (as most seem to forget) a matter of faith. It is outside the realm of scientific proof, and is no less because of that.

Interestingly enough, atheism itself is a matter of faith - not faith in God, but a faith in no God. As God is outside the realm of science, outside the realm of what can be measuered in our physical world, there is no proof that God doesn't exist, it is a matter of....faith.

The closest thing to what atheists think they are (but aren't)is an agnostic. An agnostic generally doesn't worry too much about the issue, whereas many atheists seem to get downright militant about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 14 min Respect71 52,188
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 55 min Frindly 7,014
News Dear Abby: Mixed messages from mom have teen lo... 4 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 3
News Beloved gay Israeli pop star dies in freak drow... 4 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 1
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 5 hr TomInElPaso 13
News Charlize Theron admits to taking 'a dip in the ... 8 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 19
News Canning is 1st Republican to announce run for 1... 10 hr Cops are Degenerates 1
News Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and se... 20 hr Howser 30
News Gay couple grilled by judge about their sex liv... Mon TomInElPaso 108
More from around the web