'Selma and Stonewall': Gay rights issues divide black civil rights leaders

Jan 28, 2013 Full story: blog.al.com 117

With his public endorsement of legalizing same sex marriage in May and last week's inaugural speech linking the civil rights movement of the 1960s to the struggles facing LGBT activists today, President Barack Obama has forced black civil rights leaders to confront an issue that sometimes divides them.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#143 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
you wrote:
"If there are polygamists who want to be married to more than one person, why is it that there are none actually crying about it?"
I showed you how you were IGNORANT...
and this is the thanks I get?
Again, read the article. They aren't asking to be married, only not be prosecuted for living as polygamous spouses which is illegal in Utah.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#144 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I didn't know generalizations based on stereotypes was relevant as to polygamy since you argue so hard against them as applied to you...
I can see why you guys tend to not discuss polygamy...
Clearly, what you quoted was a discussion of the differences and harm associated with polygamy. Your claim ignores reality.

You fail to refute any of the many different problems I addressed that are inherently different and inherent in polygamy as it is currently practiced.

But then you don't really support polygamy. You just want to use it as an excuse to deny treating gay people equally under the laws currently in effect.

It is an irrational, slippery slope fallacy, used to generate fear, and justify harmful discrimination.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#145 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
simply not true...
and I noticed you avoid the majority issue...
Then you should have no trouble showing a poll which shows LESS support today for "same-sex marriage" than 5 or 10 or 20 years ago.

I'll wait while you google it.......

I ignore nothing. Yes, the majority of states ban same-sex couples from marrying. But as I noted, that majority which was once all 50 states is getting smaller and smaller every year, and will likely drop by another 3 or 4 or 5 states this year alone.

Only a fool continues to ignore the obvious trend in society. Even many in the GOP now admit they can't win on this issue going forward with the demographic changes occuring.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#146 Jan 31, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They're not suing for a right to marry, but rather claiming they can't be prosecuted for polygamy because they're NOT all married.
Obvious difference which of course went right over your head because all you saw was the big scary headline.
an interesting point for someone who thinks Romer and Lawrence decides the gay marriage case...
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#147 Jan 31, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, read the article. They aren't asking to be married, only not be prosecuted for living as polygamous spouses which is illegal in Utah.
read the title of the article...
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#148 Jan 31, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
.
You fail to refute any of the many different problems I addressed that are inherently different and inherent in polygamy as it is currently practiced.
"But in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex."

see how you call this bigotry? But yet maintain what you wrote which is the same stuff is somehow rational?

I respect your smarts NYE, but I do not see how you can be blind to this...
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#149 Jan 31, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should have no trouble showing a poll which shows LESS support today for "same-sex marriage" than 5 or 10 or 20 years ago.
I'll wait while you google it.......
I ignore nothing. Yes, the majority of states ban same-sex couples from marrying. But as I noted, that majority which was once all 50 states is getting smaller and smaller every year, and will likely drop by another 3 or 4 or 5 states this year alone.
Only a fool continues to ignore the obvious trend in society. Even many in the GOP now admit they can't win on this issue going forward with the demographic changes occuring.
you ignore that even within states, the polls go up and down...

and did you see what happened in france?

when the gays pushed, polls plummeted...
keep pushing sheeple, keep pushing...

it will be over soon, just like the abortion issue, right?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#150 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
read the title of the article...
If that's all you read, then you're an idiot for using it as evidence for any assertion. You failed, so my point returns to being correct.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#151 Jan 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's all you read, then you're an idiot for using it as evidence for any assertion. You failed, so my point returns to being correct.
if this board were reality you could be right, but you do understand there is whole world outside of this board where actual things happen right?

kidding, I know you don't...

BTW, that's not all i read but I think its fair to point to the TITLE of the article...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#152 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
an interesting point for someone who thinks Romer and Lawrence decides the gay marriage case...
You must have me confused with someone else. I think the marriage case decides the marriage case; it stands on its own merits.

I happen to agree there is no reason for polygamous relationships to be illegal; people have the right to live their lives as they choose. Just as I don't think it should be illegal to commit adultery; I don't recommend it, but it shouldn't be illegal.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#153 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
read the title of the article...
Yes, and then read the article.

They are talking about whether polygamous relationships are legal or illegal, NOT polygamous marriage.

There is an obvious difference; I'm suprised you can't see it.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#154 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
"But in commonsense and in a constitutional sense, there is a clear distinction between a marital restriction based merely upon race and one based upon the fundamental difference in sex."
see how you call this bigotry? But yet maintain what you wrote which is the same stuff is somehow rational?
I respect your smarts NYE, but I do not see how you can be blind to this...
The reasoning from a 40 year old case still fails to show how the difference in gender provides a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of equal treatment. Subsequent courts have found there is no fundamental difference beyond accidental pregnancy, which still provides no legitimate excuse.

There is no difference in treating same sex couples the same as opposite sex couples.

Polygamy remains a very different argument because it requires different laws and social systems.(I don't believe you are blind to this, but you won't admit it because it removes one of your slippery slope excuses for discrimination.)

And while you love to bring it up, you still refuse to refute any of the many different problems I addressed that demonstrate polygamy is inherently a very different issue than treating gay people equally under the laws currently in effect.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#155 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
you ignore that even within states, the polls go up and down...
and did you see what happened in france?
when the gays pushed, polls plummeted...
keep pushing sheeple, keep pushing...
it will be over soon, just like the abortion issue, right?
And yet you STILL can't provide even ONE SINGLE POLL with shows LESS support today in ANY state than 5 or 10 or 20 years ago in that same state. Or ANY national poll which shows LESS support today than 5 or 10 or 20 years ago.

Yes, I saw the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS who came out in support of marriage equality in France in response to those who came out in opposition.

It WILL essentially be over as a national issue because there is a clear generational divide with 70%+ of millenials and younger now supporting marriage equality. Unlike abortion, the overhwelming majority of opposition to same-sex couples marrying is among the baby boomers and older generations, and they're literally dying off.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#156 Jan 31, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
you ignore that even within states, the polls go up and down...
and did you see what happened in france?
when the gays pushed, polls plummeted...
keep pushing sheeple, keep pushing...
it will be over soon, just like the abortion issue, right?
If gay people hadn't been fighting back for over 100 years, we would still be subjected to arrest and torture by the government for being gay.

Abortion is a very different issue. A fetus always gets harmed.

Treating gay people equal to straight people under the laws currently in effect harms no one.
GOVERNOR MARK TRAINA

Slidell, LA

#158 Mar 31, 2013
FACT: The very BEST way for GAYS to be TREATED EQUAL is if JESUS returns to Planet Earth and passes out a another MORE NEWER TESTIMENT! Anything less than that and "SADLY" the LGBT Community will continue to be Treated as "SOCIAL OUTCASTS"!

"WAiTING for SUPERMAN", don't bother I'm HERE!"

YOUNG BLACK THUGS and LITTLE TUPACERS actin like YOUNG BLACK THUGS and LITTLE TUPACERS!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/31/28...

fatuous1 KICKS SAND in the FACE of the "SPLC" everyday!

FACT: The "$OUTHERN POVERTY LGBT LAW SINNERS are too CHICKEN $HYT to do anything about it!

SooOOOOO DOWN THEY'LL GEAUX!

FACT: There's a RIF at the $OUTHERN POVERTY LGBT LAW SINNERS CULT GROUP!

FACT: It's hard to raise "FUNDS" when you have been designated as PUBLIC ENEMY #1 by the fatuous1.

FACT: The fatuous1 will "NEVER EVER" back up, nor will he ever "BACK DOWN"!

FACT: The "SOUTHERN POVERTY LGBT LAW SINNERS" will sooOOOOOON BE FORCED TO PUBLISH THEIR DONORS LIST BY THE U.S. SUPREME COURT!

DEMAND: SPLC take down you "HATE GROUP MAP" or put your LGBT COMMUNIST Selves on it!

FACT: The fatuous1 didn't come with a "REVERSE GEAR"!(TRAINAISM)

FACT: The fatuous1's NUMBER 1 PURPOSE in LIFE is to "BRING DOWN" SOUTHERN POVERTY LGBT LAW SINNERS all across AMERICA!

FACT: If AMERICA is still "WAITING FOR SUPERMAN" Please let them that I'm here!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#159 Apr 1, 2013
GOVERNOR MARK TRAINA wrote:
FACT:
Just a suggestion, you might want to consider therapy.

PS: Dumpling, since you've made it clear that you can't even fake having a clue as to what the SPLC actually does and which fun groups are actually on the "hate map", there really doesn't seem to be a point in telling you that as a non-profit organization, their donor lists are readily available, you'll just need to be bright enough to look.
Abby

United States

#160 Aug 21, 2013
JrEsq wrote:
"'Selma and Stonewall': Gay rights issues divide black civil rights leaders"
Duh. The purpose Satan assigns to homosexuality is to DIVIDE and DISRUPT society.
Is this prezident Barry the right hand man of satan or what? and look at the sheeple who follow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Lesbians, one Gay man elected to Belfast Ci... 11 min rock white 26
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 19 min Wondering 106
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 42 min Wondering 290
Why Don't Golem Post No More? (May '13) 59 min Belle Sexton 8
Cops Outnumber Marchers in Belgrade Gay Pride P... 1 hr Belle Sexton 21
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 1 hr Belle Sexton 132
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 1 hr Speedieg 1
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 8 hr BARTHOLOMEW 2,248

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE