Georgian Orthodox Church Leader Calls For Gay-Rights Rally Ban

May 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Weekday Magazine

Moldova's LGBT community is launching a weeklong festival celebrating sexual minorities in the conservative country.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated May 27, 2013

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 May 16, 2013
Georgians can be proud of their great gift to the world, Josef Stalin. Right.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#2 May 16, 2013
"Ultraconservative Orthodox believers have said they will hold a counterdemonstration and have threatened to disrupt the gay rally."

I suggest the LGBT population do the same. Start interrupting Orthodox services. Let's see how they like it.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#3 May 16, 2013
And if 'his holiness' Ilia II is not careful, he's going to set his own headgear on fire! Funny how the clergy just love to appear in drag, despite all their protestations against gayness.
What the FFFF

Watsonville, CA

#4 May 16, 2013
Ilia also wants to bring back a monarchy to Georgia.

He's old school, beloved among Georgians, and completely in thrall to the Moscow Patriarch. He's effectively autocephalos in name only.

Someone needs to remind him that he is neither a physician nor psychologist, and it's not his place to use terminology from outside his particular areas of expertise.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 May 16, 2013
fr Brian:

>"Ultraconservative Orthodox believers have said they will hold a counterdemonstration and have threatened to disrupt the gay rally."
I suggest the LGBT population do the same. Start interrupting Orthodox services. Let's see how they like it.<

Problem is, when that is done, we're bringing ourselves down to this idiot's level. He sounds like fred phelps and his gang of four.
humanwatch1

Tbilisi, Georgia

#6 May 17, 2013
This is a letter from a participant in the gay rights demonstration today in Tbilisi: "Today, for the first time in my life, I saw people running for their lives, being chased by a mob. I would not be surprised if someone has been killed, it was that violent. It was horrifying and deeply frightening, like nothing I have ever seen before. This small group of people being chased pell mell down the street by an enormous mob, aided and encouraged by the church and the police.

This is a shameful day for Georgia. There is no law or justice for the weak in Georgia, today the mob rules.

I can't remember the last time I was so disgusted and angry. I have been all over in some of the worst places in the world and I have never directly witnessed such loathsome behavior towards a minority. Beatings, kicking, spitting and an insane sprint, chase and hunt down the street.

They were yelling things like “Kill them”, "Death to the Gays." To make things worse when they marched back from the river road (the part on the other side of the cliffs, where evidently more beatings, or worse, happened) chanting:“What do we want for gays? Their mothers to be fucked.” "We are Georgia!"

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#7 May 17, 2013
More christians heard from. I wonder if Ilia II is happy now that his mission has been accomplished?

Needless to say, Georgia will not be on my list of travel destinations anytime soon.
What the FFFF

Watsonville, CA

#8 May 17, 2013
humanwatch1 wrote:
This is a letter from a participant in the gay rights demonstration today in Tbilisi: "Today, for the first time in my life, I saw people running for their lives, being chased by a mob. I would not be surprised if someone has been killed, it was that violent. It was horrifying and deeply frightening, like nothing I have ever seen before. This small group of people being chased pell mell down the street by an enormous mob, aided and encouraged by the church and the police.
This is a shameful day for Georgia. There is no law or justice for the weak in Georgia, today the mob rules.
I can't remember the last time I was so disgusted and angry. I have been all over in some of the worst places in the world and I have never directly witnessed such loathsome behavior towards a minority. Beatings, kicking, spitting and an insane sprint, chase and hunt down the street.
They were yelling things like “Kill them”, "Death to the Gays." To make things worse when they marched back from the river road (the part on the other side of the cliffs, where evidently more beatings, or worse, happened) chanting:“What do we want for gays? Their mothers to be fucked.” "We are Georgia!"
Do you have any links to any news reports on these events?

People here could stand to be reminded of what happens when churches become political.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#9 May 17, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr Brian:
>"Ultraconservative Orthodox believers have said they will hold a counterdemonstration and have threatened to disrupt the gay rally."
I suggest the LGBT population do the same. Start interrupting Orthodox services. Let's see how they like it.<
Problem is, when that is done, we're bringing ourselves down to this idiot's level. He sounds like fred phelps and his gang of four.
Yes, I know, but evidently, that's the only way they understand how it works. They are not reasonable people, or else they wouldn't have a problem with us in the first place. It's a catch=22.

Since: Apr 13

San Francisco, CA

#10 May 17, 2013
I think the whole of we Christians had better review our scripture and realize the mistarsaltion concerning the homosexual community and what Jesus actually says.

&fe ature=share&list=PL2B8A81F E218F0F15

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 May 22, 2013
Brian wrote:
"Ultraconservative Orthodox believers have said they will hold a counterdemonstration and have threatened to disrupt the gay rally."
I suggest the LGBT population do the same. Start interrupting Orthodox services. Let's see how they like it.
That would be suicidal.

Don't even joke about anything like that.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#12 May 22, 2013
a Hermaphrodote wrote:
I think the whole of we Christians had better review our scripture and realize the mistarsaltion concerning the homosexual community and what Jesus actually says.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =kyNk1Dm5qI8XX&feature=sha re&list=PL2B8A81FE218F0F15
Jesus said nothing about gays. The real misinterpretation is of Paul's words and Paul, not Jesus, founded Christianity.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#13 May 22, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said nothing about gays. The real misinterpretation is of Paul's words and Paul, not Jesus, founded Christianity.
The Glorious Nation of Georgia is not likely to be following the american redneck bible; but apparently their version is almost as bad
Homophobia is a religious disease that causes homophobes to physically and verbally assault strangers
When homophobic priests physically and verbally attack the gays; the war is on
The gays need to circle around and destroy enemy supply lines and bases of operation

Location hidden

#14 May 22, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
The Glorious Nation of Georgia is not likely to be following the american redneck bible; but apparently their version is almost as bad
Homophobia is a religious disease that causes homophobes to physically and verbally assault strangers
When homophobic priests physically and verbally attack the gays; the war is on
The gays need to circle around and destroy enemy supply lines and bases of operation
ALL of which are in the brains and feelings of the minions.

It's called "entrenched and all-pervasive culture".
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#15 May 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be suicidal.
Don't even joke about anything like that.
Are you sure? They are all poised to kill us anyway. Why not fight back?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#16 May 27, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
If they keep attacking; they will force us to fight back
We have several advantages in our favor
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CijcaA9yq58/TAzcHY_...

Location hidden

#17 May 27, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure.

I am CERTAIN.

Location hidden

#18 May 27, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If they keep attacking; they will force us to fight back
We have several advantages in our favor
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CijcaA9yq58/TAzcHY_...
NOT in Georgia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min Destroy Satans Ch... 49,484
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 3 min lides 405
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 14 min lides 542
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 16 min BIRMINGHAM SAMANTHA 24,883
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 16 min Jooosh04 1,049
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 18 min lides 54,872
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 41 min lides 3,010
Biggest Gay Lies 1 hr lgbt is silly 1,679
California Takes a Stand Against Gay and Trans ... 5 hr Dubya 42
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••