Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

There are 170 comments on the KMBC-TV story from Aug 8, 2014, titled Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral. In it, KMBC-TV reports that:

A church in Florida canceled a funeral with less than 24 hours notice after the pastor learned the dead man was gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMBC-TV.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#179 Aug 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
So does religion.
Just ask the Taliban.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#180 Aug 21, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that you, and liberals like you, are always preaching "TOLERANCE", but are the most INTOLERANT of Christians ?
Liberals, thy name is "HYPOCRISY".
I am not a liberal and you are not a libertarian. You may be libertarian leaning but you have a long way to go and a lot of conservative baggage to get rid of.

Your question assumes facts not in evidence. That such things as Christians actually exist. Can you name someone who is a real and true Christian? No I didn't think so.

I am intolerant of intolerant bigots. Why should I accept unacceptable behavior?

Location hidden

#181 Aug 21, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ask the Taliban.
Ask them what?

Location hidden

#182 Aug 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go, tear these apart and show us all why they are evil:
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
JESUS: Luke 14:26, "If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone: your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple."

"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys" (1 Sam. 15:3).

GOD CAUSES ADULTERY: "This is what the Lord says:'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel" (2 Sam. 12:11-12).

THE GOD WHO SAYS "DO NOT STEAL" ORDERS STEALING: "...and ye shall spoil the Egyptians" (Ex. 3:22).
"...and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord God" (Ezek. 39:10).
"As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies" (Deut. 20:14).

GOD TELLS PEOPLE TO LIE:
"...and thou (Moses) shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and you shall say unto him, The Lord God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God" (Ex. 3:18) and "afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness." God is telling Moses to lie because the real reason is to escape.
"Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the Lord said, Take a heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the Lord" (1 Sam. 16:2). The Lord told Samuel to lie also, since he is actually going out to meet a son of Jesse to anoint him king. Yet, we are told in Prov. 12:22 that, "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord."

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#183 Aug 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
What ever floats your bigot boat.
Here are the examples you gave:
Wondering wrote:
unprotected M/M sex is the leading cause of spreading HIV in this country
People who contract HIV have IGNORED the evidence that there are simple and effective ways of protecting oneself.
Wondering wrote:
smoking causes all kinds of illness yet young people still light up
Those young people are IGNORING the evidence of the illnesses caused by smoking.
Wondering wrote:
obesity causes major health problems but people continue to get fat.
And the people who get fat are IGNORING the evidence which would otherwise lead them to healthy eating and exercise.
Wondering wrote:
texting while driving can cause serious harm or death but you see it every day
Once again, those people are ignoring the available evidence.
Wondering wrote:
young girls continue to get pregnant
Again. Ignoring the evidence.
Wondering wrote:
most people who drink whiskey every day are alcoholics.
He said he wasn't because he doesn't tough the stuff until 4:PM.
Same thing.

None of your examples is a case of the evidence failing. Each of them is an example of evidence being AVAILABLE, yet the people in question IGNORE it, or they're aware of the risks but take them anyway.

What you are NOT able to say, is that HIV spreads because the evidence about prevention is wrong, or that young girls get pregnant because the evidence about contraception is wrong. The evidence is NEVER the problem. Whether someone chooses to HEED the evidence is the problem.

You sound ridiculous when you suggest that any given problem is caused by having too much evidence.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#184 Aug 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Are you serious? Were you not here for the previous posts? Mankind's problems.
Mankind's problems are numerous and complex. But they aren't going to be solved by appealing to magic. And they certainly aren't going to be hindered by seeking the most evidence available.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#185 Aug 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Here you go, tear these apart and show us all why they are evil:
They're not "evil", but they didn't originate with religion, either. They weren't handed down by divine superghosts. They were arrived at through social living. Versions of these existed in many other "moral laws" long before Christianity came along.
Wondering wrote:
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
All of these moral positions can be reached by interacting with other humans in a cooperative society. We don't do these things, because we don't want them done to us. It isn't hard to figure that out, we don't have to be TOLD how to behave by some "higher up". We can easily see the consequences of living in a society where there are no proscriptions against murder, or theft, or lying.

And they're not all truly "moral", either. Coveting someone else's property, in fact, is a driving component of capitalism.

And there seem to be some items MISSING from your list. If you're going to cite the Bible as the source of this list of rules, why not include them ALL? Worship one god? Don't take his name? No false idols? Why didn't you list THOSE?

I'll tell you why: because you used your OWN moral compass to edit the original list down to something more morally recognizable. You were able to make your own judgment as to which were valid, and which were completely unnecessary. Religion doesn't give that to us.

You've also forgotten plenty of HORRIBLE laws and commandments from the Bible. It's hardly a perfect book with perfect ideals. God orders KILLING as the punishment for all kinds of ridiculous, trivial "transgressions". He gives bizarre dietary restrictions. He commands genocide and slavery and misogyny and war.

You are being deliberately selective in your Bible quoting, because you must, in order to separate the morality from the brutality. It's admirable that you're a more moral person than 1st century tribesmen, but it doesn't help your argument if you have to cull large sections of their writings before you can use them as examples of morality.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#186 Aug 21, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
You sound ridiculous when you suggest that any given problem is caused by having too much evidence.
If twisting what I said was a felony, you'd be in jail. I did not say that evidence of harm causes problems. I said there are no really effective evidence based methods to solve these problems.
You have already agreed with me, you know that people just ignore the evidence.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#187 Aug 21, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Mankind's problems are numerous and complex. But they aren't going to be solved by appealing to magic. And they certainly aren't going to be hindered by seeking the most evidence available.
It's simple. People will do what they want to do. In the case of addiction, whether it be food, drugs, or tobacco, they will do what is easiest, continue to feed the addiction.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#188 Aug 21, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
1. All of these moral positions can be reached by interacting with other humans in a cooperative society. We don't do these things, because we don't want them done to us. It isn't hard to figure that out, we don't have to be TOLD how to behave by some "higher up". We can easily see the consequences of living in a society where there are no proscriptions against murder, or theft, or lying.
2. And they're not all truly "moral", either. Coveting someone else's property, in fact, is a driving component of capitalism.
3. And there seem to be some items MISSING from your list. If you're going to cite the Bible as the source of this list of rules, why not include them ALL? Worship one god? Don't take his name? No false idols? Why didn't you list THOSE?
4. I'll tell you why: because you used your OWN moral compass to edit the original list down to something more morally recognizable. You were able to make your own judgment as to which were valid, and which were completely unnecessary. Religion doesn't give that to us.
5. You've also forgotten plenty of HORRIBLE laws and commandments from the Bible. It's hardly a perfect book with perfect ideals. God orders KILLING as the punishment for all kinds of ridiculous, trivial "transgressions". He gives bizarre dietary restrictions. He commands genocide and slavery and misogyny and war.
6. You are being deliberately selective in your Bible quoting, because you must, in order to separate the morality from the brutality. It's admirable that you're a more moral person than 1st century tribesmen, but it doesn't help your argument if you have to cull large sections of their writings before you can use them as examples of morality.
1. But they're not. Prisons are full.
2. Do you believe all aspects of capitalism are moral? I sure don't.
3. Really?
4. As usual, you're wrong. I didn't use them because you don't like magic.
5. I never read it.
6. See #4.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church of Scotland moves closer to letting mini... 10 min Pope Closet Emeritus 2
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 12 min No Surprise 6,083
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 24 min Respect71 49,339
BIG PARTY News 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 11
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 69,534
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 1 hr guest 1,659
News Russia is Investigating Chechnya's Anti-Gay Purge 2 hr Howard 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 25,635
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 13 hr Eagle 12 462
More from around the web