Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

There are 170 comments on the KMBC-TV story from Aug 8, 2014, titled Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral. In it, KMBC-TV reports that:

A church in Florida canceled a funeral with less than 24 hours notice after the pastor learned the dead man was gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMBC-TV.

Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#25 Aug 8, 2014
well wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church does know that mom is Lutheran...what part of this don't you understand? They were married for 56 years and will be buried together in the Catholic cemetery...
They were lucky.
Shirvel s Shrivel

Philadelphia, PA

#26 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I know
You don't know anything.

You don't know the difference between domestic partner benefits in the Fortune 500 versus employment protections.

You don't know that equal protection arguments regarding marriage equality are different from the Civil Rights Act argument regarding places of public accommodation.

Incredibly, you don't even know that states may not enforce unconstitutional laws (anti sodomy laws) still on the books.

You're an ignorant, simple minded, confused bigot.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#27 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
The family should have gone to your church then. What do you have against rules?
I think we would all agree with you that a private organization may make its own rules.

Still, here's the problem as I see it: I grew up thinking of "church" and "religion" not as private clubs circling their wagons to ward off outsiders, but as open expressions of community and social support. More like welcoming families than exclusive country clubs. I eventually outgrew that naive and misinformed view, but it is (or was) a view which many people hold.

I'm sure there are still many churches which are actually like that, but there are plenty more which are not. And it is only to their own detriment in the long run (although in the short run, it is also to the detriment of the people they reject). People are leaving their churches in droves, especially millennials, the very future of the church. Those who describe their religion as "none" are one of the fastest growing groups in the nation with regard to religious belief. This is not quite as good as leaving religion entirely, but it's a start.

Churches like this have every right to behave this way, but they are not doing themselves any favors. They are twisting the public perceptions of church and religion into something divisive and hateful.

Personally, I couldn't be happier to see things like this. Nothing makes a better advertisement for the shoddy behaviors of religion, than the shoddy behaviors of religion. People should be made aware that this ugly behavior is going on, supported and even encouraged by their so-called spiritual leaders.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#28 Aug 8, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I think we would all agree with you that a private organization may make its own rules.
2. Still, here's the problem as I see it:.
1. Especially a church.
2. Irrelevant.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#29 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
1. Especially a church.
2. Irrelevant.
It's irrelevant to the issue in the article, but it's very relevant to the continued success of churches. I have no problem if they want to display this kind of heartlessness and call it "moral", but they should think twice about the message they're sending.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#30 Aug 8, 2014
Qwerty wrote:
Wow, definitely one of the sickest things I've read. Really putting your church out there, aren't you, "Pastor" Jenkins? It's one thing not to support gay marriage. It's altogether something else to not help hurting people dealing with death in their family. Pastor Jenkins, you reaffirm my non-Christian beliefs. Maybe you will drive many more away from your perverted life style.
I guess you didn't catch La Coulter's most recent pearls.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#31 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Especially a church.
2. Irrelevant.
Glad you think so. The more people that see stuff like this happening the sooner churches will die. And that's a good thing.
Rainbow Etiquette Guide

Alpharetta, GA

#33 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The family should have gone to your church then. What do you have against rules?
Rules are OK as long as they are fully disclosed up front
If the rules are not agreeable; then people have the opportunity to withhold their generous weekly eye-popping tax-exempt bribes to the preacher until he cans the superstitious rhetoric and agrees on a situation mutually acceptable to both parties
Rules sneaked in after the fact is what gets arrogant greedy redneck evangelical fundamentalist pea brains in trouble all the time; po'thangs
Shirvell s Shrivel

Philadelphia, PA

#34 Aug 8, 2014
Episodes like this will only increase pressure on the retrograde, US bishops by relegating the male-misogynist-in-a-dress rcc to further and further outlier status.

I can't imagine how much longer decent priests and nuns are going to put up with the desperately sick, homophobic, US hierarchy.

It's funny how that idiot gay voices editor at huffpost opined early on how Pope Francis would mark an actual sea change on lgbt issues...it's gotten worse.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#35 Aug 8, 2014
Shirvell s Shrivel wrote:
male-misogynist-in-a-dress
HAHAHAHA! Brilliant.
lgbt is silly

Knoxville, TN

#36 Aug 8, 2014
Good job preacher!

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#37 Aug 8, 2014
lgbt is silly wrote:
Good job preacher!
Yes, because I'm sure he's never buried any "sinner" before. It's much more important to God that a bereaving family be denied a basic human dignity, than that they have an opportunity to say goodbye to a loved one. Such admirable morality.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#38 Aug 9, 2014
Wondering wrote:
BTW, it wasn't because he was gay, it was because he was married to a same sex person. If a Catholic man marries a woman outside of his religion he won't get a funeral either. No discrimination, church rules. I don't know why gays keep testing the church.
They are Baptists, with no such restrictions. Try again to justify bigotry, maybe you can find a reason.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#40 Aug 9, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
This tragic situation is another reason why LGBT people should not associate with churches that are known for their homophobia, such as the Roman Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists.
Because just as these people experienced here, they can turn on you in an instant and feel fully justified in doing so.
Better off going to a church that openly welcomes LGBT people.
And the few Southern Baptist churches that HAVE accepted LGBT people have been kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention.(read about that on here)
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#41 Aug 9, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because I'm sure he's never buried any "sinner" before. It's much more important to God that a bereaving family be denied a basic human dignity, than that they have an opportunity to say goodbye to a loved one. Such admirable morality.
Everyone is a sinner, the church knows that. If you don't know the rules, ask.
If you don't want to follow the rules you take your chances.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#42 Aug 9, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Everyone is a sinner
You just labeled yourself as an evangelical fundamentalist
That is as low as it goes; sugar
You need a smart pill
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#43 Aug 9, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
You just labeled yourself as an evangelical fundamentalist
That is as low as it goes; sugar
You need a smart pill
I have no chance of getting my funeral cancelled. Someone was lower.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#44 Aug 9, 2014
Wondering wrote:
BTW, it wasn't because he was gay, it was because he was married to a same sex person..
Oh puh-leez. Only gay people marry someone of the same sex. Your brain is bereft of intellect.

By the way, it wasn't a catholic church.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#45 Aug 9, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes..... the ol' original sin bullshit..... how exciting. Anybody that falls for that line of crap deserves to be pilloried and used as target practice for a cow pie throwing contest.
Abrahammock Regions

Philadelphia, PA

#46 Aug 9, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron, you made the argument that this church is sick - they aren't refusing to have a funeral service for any other "unrepentant" sinner. Their rules are not about "sins," their rules are about a homosexual fixation.

You dumb pos. Now run along and explain to all those state Attorneys General that they should be enforcing the unconstitutional anti sodomy laws still on the books.

Because that idea of yours was a particular howler.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 4 min lides 3,319
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 5 min Synque 651
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 6 min Notgonnahappen 244
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 6 min LeDuped 154
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 6 min Reverend Alan 7,036
Are the mods fair and balanced? 12 min Reverend Alan 862
Does NE Jade Swallow? 26 min Carl Junior 1
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 34 min Quest 473
News 'You can't have marriage equality without polyg... 2 hr Imprtnrd 65
More from around the web