Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

Aug 8, 2014 Full story: KMBC-TV 170

A church in Florida canceled a funeral with less than 24 hours notice after the pastor learned the dead man was gay.

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#1 Aug 8, 2014
If there's hating to be done, there's a good chance there's a christian behind it.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Aug 8, 2014
Yes, refuse to host a funeral because that is defiantly what Jesus would have done.

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#3 Aug 8, 2014
NE Jade wrote:
Yes, refuse to host a funeral because that is defiantly what Jesus would have done.
Well the "Jesus" that some "people" worship anyway. But there are true Christian Churches out there who are welcoming, for one Unitarian Unilateralist Church/Fellowship.

My heart goes out to this family and I hope that find comfort and peace in this time of loss.
Qwerty

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#4 Aug 8, 2014
Wow, definitely one of the sickest things I've read. Really putting your church out there, aren't you, "Pastor" Jenkins? It's one thing not to support gay marriage. It's altogether something else to not help hurting people dealing with death in their family. Pastor Jenkins, you reaffirm my non-Christian beliefs. Maybe you will drive many more away from your perverted life style.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#5 Aug 8, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
If there's hating to be done, there's a good chance there's a christian behind it.
Oh, I think it works both ways.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#6 Aug 8, 2014
BTW, it wasn't because he was gay, it was because he was married to a same sex person. If a Catholic man marries a woman outside of his religion he won't get a funeral either. No discrimination, church rules. I don't know why gays keep testing the church.
Sheldon

Alexandria, VA

#7 Aug 8, 2014
A pastor should have known that a funeral service isn't for the deceased. It's for the survivors. Whatever he thought of the dead man, he's dead. The insult is to the bereaved...unless that's who the pastor had the problem with in the first place.
Shirvel s Shrivel

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I think it works both ways.
On the contrary, we'd all be perfectly happy to bury you.
Shirvel s Shrivel

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Aug 8, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
How you phrase it is up to you, but I would have tried to say "christianist" or "mullah" or "evilgelical" or "rcc misogynist in a dress."

Most Christians favor even marriage equality now. They don't live in the Middle Ages, like this FL coven of bigotry does.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11 Aug 8, 2014
Sheldon wrote:
A pastor should have known that a funeral service isn't for the deceased. It's for the survivors.
That is your point of view, not the church's. The funeral is all bout the deceased.

Let's look at the typical wake and funeral. Most people go to wakes out of curiosity, not love for the deceased. I can't count the number of these things that I went to where some asshole didn't say the he/she looks wonderful. How does a dead body look wonderful? At one, a woman said "she was one of my best friends, I'm going to miss her." I said to her that she used to talk about you all the time, she really missed you. A visit from you over the past 20 years would have meant the world to her, even a phone call. She didn't know what to say.
The funeral, about 1/3 of the people that showed up to see the dead body go to the funeral. Then those people are usually invited back to the house or a hall to 'celebrate' the life of the deceased that they ignored for a decade or two. I always thought they just went for the free food and beer.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#13 Aug 8, 2014
Shirvel s Shrivel wrote:
<quoted text>
we'd
There you go again, Freak.
Roberto

Anonymous Proxy

#14 Aug 8, 2014
What did the queer die from AIDS?
Shirvel s Shrivel

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again
You don't know anything, you bigoted filth. Stop changing the subject from your ignorance, misstating of fact, lying and defamation.

LGBT people would not refuse a fundie or rcc bigot a funeral. Only very, very sick and evil mullahs would do something like that for "religious" reasons.

So it does not work both ways, as you lied.
well

Lake Villa, IL

#16 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
BTW, it wasn't because he was gay, it was because he was married to a same sex person. If a Catholic man marries a woman outside of his religion he won't get a funeral either. No discrimination, church rules. I don't know why gays keep testing the church.
WRONG! My father was a very devout Catholic his entire life, he married my mom a Lutheran...she never converted. After 56 years of marriage my father passed away, he got a full Catholic Funeral Mass and burial in the Catholic Cemetery mom has a burial plot right next to his.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#17 Aug 8, 2014
Shirvel s Shrivel wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, we'd all be perfectly happy to bury you.
Under a bridge, of course.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#19 Aug 8, 2014
Shirvel s Shrivel wrote:
LGBT people would not refuse a fundie or rcc bigot a funeral.
The family should have gone to your church then. What do you have against rules?
well

Lake Villa, IL

#20 Aug 8, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom (as well as myself) is Lutheran. My dad was Roman Catholic and converted to Lutheranism.
As I understand it, to be buried in a Roman Catholic cemetery, you must be a Roman Catholic and be able to prove it.
I discovered this when I went to buy a burial plot for my fiancee, I went to a Roman Catholic cemetery to inquire about a purchase of a grave, and that is what they told me at the cemetery, i.e. Roman Catholic only, proof required (my fiancee was Protestant).(When, just out of curiosity, I asked the cemetery person how you "prove" you're Roman Catholic, I was told they needed a letter stating so from your parish priest).
So as I understand it, to be buried in a Roman Catholic cemetery, one must be a Roman Catholic, proof required).
I guess not if married...mom and dad bought the plot at the Church cemetery years ago. All that was required was their marriage license and certificate from the Church they married in,...of course mom was forced to sign away the souls of her children to the Catholic church when she married dad LOL, so maybe that is enough for them...the Grave Stone is there and already has moms name and date of birth engraved - which I find kind of creepy by the way LOL. When she passes she will not get a Mass but will still get a funeral service said by the Priest.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#21 Aug 8, 2014
well wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG! My father was a very devout Catholic his entire life, he married my mom a Lutheran...she never converted. After 56 years of marriage my father passed away, he got a full Catholic Funeral Mass and burial in the Catholic Cemetery mom has a burial plot right next to his.
They were lucky. Good thing the church didn't know. If they didn't find out that the gay man married they would have given him a funeral too.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#22 Aug 8, 2014
Shirvel s Shrivel wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know anything,
I know you are the Philly Freak. Stay angry.
well

Lake Villa, IL

#24 Aug 8, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They were lucky. Good thing the church didn't know. If they didn't find out that the gay man married they would have given him a funeral too.
The Church does know that mom is Lutheran...what part of this don't you understand? They were married for 56 years and will be buried together in the Catholic cemetery...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 4 min Wilbur 55,860
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 9 min Michael 65
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 13 min Reverend Alan 526
US judge upholds state same-sex marriage ban, r... 27 min Pietro Armando 737
'Don't Say Gay' bill clears TN Senate (May '11) 34 min truthandfact 76
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min Cali Girl 2014 49,800
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 37 min Hue 1,336
Gay marriage cases await early Supreme Court de... 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 376
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Kawalski 3,289
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••