The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and fa...
Dandy Deacon

New York, NY

#88711 Jul 14, 2013
Dandy Deacon

New York, NY

#88712 Jul 14, 2013
Why is homosexuality wrong?
With every sin there are multiple levels of why it's offensive to God and to be avoided. The simplest is clearly to say the Bible says it is. And we should start there; and if we can go deeper, that's good.
I think it's implied clearly and spoken clearly in Romans 1:24-29 that homosexuality is wrong and to be avoided. And I think Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 lists a very unusual phrase about homosexuality where he says, "Those who do such things"—and he lists it along with greed and covetousness and other sins, so it's not unique by itself in this—"those who do such things will not enter the kingdom of heaven."
In other words, if you know that it's wrong and you say, "I don't care that it's wrong. I don't care what God says. I'm going to do that thing," that's an indication that you're not going into the kingdom of heaven.
Now, that's just the "It's wrong, don't do it" authority answer. The question "Why would the Bible say that?" is also multi-layered.
1) The Bible sets up at the beginning that a man and a woman become one flesh. That's God's way of doing sexuality.
Sexuality is God's idea, and we should learn from God what it is. It's a man and a woman created in beautifully complementary ways so that they form one flesh. And to try to do it another way is a distortion. It's a corruption. It's a dysfunction of the way God made it.
2) As I reflect on Romans 1 and the way Paul unpacks the problem with homosexuality, it appears to me that Paul is saying something like this: When you exchange the glory of God for idols, the main one that you exchange the glory of God for is yourself. The idol that you have is yourself. Well, what sex is yourself? My sex is male. If you're a woman watching this, your sex is female. And he seems to draw out the fact that in exchanging God for our most cherished idol, which is usually self, we are prone to fall in love with the same sex.
So, implication: same-sex attraction is a dysfunctional form of idolatry. Now there are other kinds! Don't hear me saying that homosexual temptations are the only way that kind of self-idolatry emerges. But go to Romans 1:24-29 and just think that through yourself—ask how verse 23, the exchange of God for created things, relates to the exchange talked about in verse 26 ("They exchanged the natural for the unnatural"). The same words "exchanged" are used throughout that passage.
The deepest thing that I've ever hit upon for why God would disapprove of this is not just that the Bible says "Don't do it," and not just that God created male and female. Deep down there is a kind of idolatry involved in same-sex relationships that is very profound.
I'm sure there are other reasons why it's bad for us. And God loves us and he calls us not to do it.
Dandy Deacon

New York, NY

#88713 Jul 14, 2013
Before I turn away from that question, let me say to those of you who struggle with this that this is not hard for me to empathize with or imagine. I don't want those of you who are wrestling with this to feel like, "O, this is just the worst possible thing imaginable." I don't feel that way.
What I feel is simply the need to admit brokenness before the Lord. Set your face to say, "My heart is broken, and I am weeping, because for reasons I don't understand I am broken in my sexuality. I'm broken. I wish I weren't. I can chose to turn my brokenness into sin..."
See, I don't think it's sin to be broken. It's the result of sin to be broken. But to just be that way, to feel that way, I don't think is any more sin than my feeling heterosexual. It's unnatural, it's broken, but now I have the choice with my heterosexuality to make it sin or to make it holy.
A person who wrestles with homosexual temptations and desires has the same choice: to sin with it, or to be chaste and to seek to overcome and to move into something more God-appointed.
So don't hear me isolating it as the worst of all sins. It is part of a brokenness that I share.
I think John Piper's personality is broken. I could give you specifics: they would have to do with anger, self-pity. And I'm just wired to like certain sins a lot. I think it's partly genetic. I saw it in my grandmother and my mother. I think it's partly family-based, and it's just me. I'm broken.
So I can choose to let that brokenness govern me and turn it into sins. Or I can choose to say, "I'm going to deal with the brokenness I have and try to steer my way through my brokenness to do as much good for others and avoid as much sin as I can."
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88714 Jul 14, 2013
Dandy Deacon wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =d2n7vSPwhSUXX
He's ah-GINT it.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88720 Jul 14, 2013
Yes. I'm still here. It's just that what BlondPrince1st said was so stupid I slipped into a coma for a while.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88721 Jul 14, 2013
Amen!

Fine sermon this morning Dandy Deacon. Mighty fine. Inspiring. Yes indeed. A round for the house!

Hear! Hear!
Dandy Deacon

New York, NY

#88724 Jul 14, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Amen!
Fine sermon this morning Dandy Deacon. Mighty fine. Inspiring. Yes indeed. A round for the house!
Hear! Hear!
THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH
GAWD

New York, NY

#88725 Jul 14, 2013
~excellent~
JAX

New York, NY

#88726 Jul 14, 2013
bout that time for the j8ster to woosh through
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88727 Jul 14, 2013
JAX wrote:
bout that time for the j8ster to woosh through
Yeah acting all superior like his sh!t don't stink and all. Too funny!
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88728 Jul 14, 2013
Dandy Deacon wrote:
<quoted text>
THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Scared the heathens away! Peaceful and sweet smelling around here now. Mighty fine.
Kasper

New York, NY

#88730 Jul 14, 2013
MYNEGRO

New York, NY

#88731 Jul 14, 2013
Righty Whitey wrote:
Anybody seen MYNEGRO?
I 'z be white here ....
Ghost of Trayvon

Topeka, KS

#88732 Jul 14, 2013
MYNEGRO wrote:
<quoted text>
I 'z be white here ....
I guess it really WAS self defense. Racial profiling isn't racist if you really are a thug.
MYNEGRO

New York, NY

#88734 Jul 14, 2013
Righty Whitey wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, Hey MYNEGRO: The darkie President is not pleased with the innocent verdict so he will instruct his Justice Department, headed by his darkie Attorney General, to proceed forth with a civil rights violation against Mr Zimmerman who was just acting in self-defense.
I'd wood have shot that black mofo hoodie punk then drag him behind a team of horses i wood.
NEWS FLASH

New York, NY

#88735 Jul 14, 2013
Zimmerman six women jury were mesmerized.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88737 Jul 14, 2013
NEWS FLASH wrote:
Zimmerman six women jury were mesmerized.
He got real porky they liked that.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88738 Jul 14, 2013
Very interesting thread.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#88740 Jul 14, 2013
Zoro wrote:
Diaper rash? Admitted troll? Agent orange made him that way? A closet homosexual? Oh my the list..........
Yeah, the list is long and daunting Jizzy but start small and work on it. Then you'll get rid of all those problems sooner than you think.

It's not impossible. Just takes time and dedication. Stop being such a lazy no account oaf!
Poof

Rock Island, IL

#88741 Jul 14, 2013
Dandy Deacon wrote:
Why is homosexuality wrong?
With every sin there are multiple levels of why it's offensive to God and to be avoided. The simplest is clearly to say the Bible says it is. And we should start there; and if we can go deeper, that's good.
I think it's implied clearly and spoken clearly in Romans 1:24-29 that homosexuality is wrong and to be avoided. And I think Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 lists a very unusual phrase about homosexuality where he says, "Those who do such things"—and he lists it along with greed and covetousness and other sins, so it's not unique by itself in this—"those who do such things will not enter the kingdom of heaven."
In other words, if you know that it's wrong and you say, "I don't care that it's wrong. I don't care what God says. I'm going to do that thing," that's an indication that you're not going into the kingdom of heaven.
Now, that's just the "It's wrong, don't do it" authority answer. The question "Why would the Bible say that?" is also multi-layered.
1) The Bible sets up at the beginning that a man and a woman become one flesh. That's God's way of doing sexuality.
Sexuality is God's idea, and we should learn from God what it is. It's a man and a woman created in beautifully complementary ways so that they form one flesh. And to try to do it another way is a distortion. It's a corruption. It's a dysfunction of the way God made it.
2) As I reflect on Romans 1 and the way Paul unpacks the problem with homosexuality, it appears to me that Paul is saying something like this: When you exchange the glory of God for idols, the main one that you exchange the glory of God for is yourself. The idol that you have is yourself. Well, what sex is yourself? My sex is male. If you're a woman watching this, your sex is female. And he seems to draw out the fact that in exchanging God for our most cherished idol, which is usually self, we are prone to fall in love with the same sex.
So, implication: same-sex attraction is a dysfunctional form of idolatry. Now there are other kinds! Don't hear me saying that homosexual temptations are the only way that kind of self-idolatry emerges. But go to Romans 1:24-29 and just think that through yourself—ask how verse 23, the exchange of God for created things, relates to the exchange talked about in verse 26 ("They exchanged the natural for the unnatural"). The same words "exchanged" are used throughout that passage.
The deepest thing that I've ever hit upon for why God would disapprove of this is not just that the Bible says "Don't do it," and not just that God created male and female. Deep down there is a kind of idolatry involved in same-sex relationships that is very profound.
I'm sure there are other reasons why it's bad for us. And God loves us and he calls us not to do it.
Just for you..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 11 min June VanDerMark 10,355
News Maroon 5 scrap North Carolina shows 18 min Retired SOF 24
News Gay marriage victory at Supreme Court triggerin... 27 min Table Scraps 7
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 31 min An NFL Fan 1,066
News 'Gay sex causes earthquakes' says conservative ... 35 min johnson1 14
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 37 min Big C 11,937
News Anti-Gay Jehovah's Witness Cartoon Tells Kids T... 3 hr RedhorseWoman 2,127
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr WeTheSheeple 36,268
More from around the web